Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Wayward teachers, Gurus, cults

PatrPatr Veteran

"When teachers break the precepts,
behaving in ways that are clearly damaging to themselves and others,
students must face the situation,
even though this can be challenging, criticize openly, that's the only way."
His Holiness the Dalai Lama

But not the easy way....

http://viewonbuddhism.org/controversy-controversial-teacher-group-center-questionable.html :):)

Read and enjoy..!!
Invincible_summerNadja

Comments

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Yes, that list is really interesting... some lamas who I thought were stainless, unimpeachable, pure... are not so pure.
    The list misses out a lot of the new scandals, especially in the USA. Maybe for fear of being sued?
  • The only person on that list I had ever heard of is Sogyal Rinpoche. Good list to be public.
  • I beleive this is why buddha taught not to trust him and his teaching but to put it into practice.
  • I have been to some of these groups, FWBO usually to their open beginner sessions . . . good introduction . . . Sogyal Rinpoche centre, New Kadampas, Hindu cults, dubious dervishes etc.

Personally I would place the Buddha in that list, leading good Hindu boys away from their families to a life of poverty, austerity and female free frustration. Christ, Moses and Muhammad would not fair too well either . . .

Oh the humanity.

'Common' sense starts at home?

:eek:
  • I do not condone any advantage taken by a person in authority (or anyone else, as far as that goes), but if you're holding your breath for a perfect human being you're in trouble.
    lobsterVastmindJohn_Spencer
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    New Kadampa does not deserve to be on it.
    Many of the smears are answered here.

http://www.newkadampatruth.org/
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Geshe Kelsang is a good teacher who desires nothing more than to help other beings on the Dharma path, I think "HH"DL Desires nothing more than to be back in his palace with a luxurious life while everyone else lives as slaves to support him and his aristocracy, some people may think that frivolous.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    After all the ethical preaching and posturing is exhausted, the best I can figure in my own head when it comes to observing mistakes is this:

Just don't YOU do that.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

The list misses out a lot of the new scandals, especially in the USA. Maybe for fear of being sued?

I got in touch with the owner of the site back when I first discovered it, to ask how he decided whom to put on the list. He said it's not a list of lamas who engage in sexual harassment (or worse) of their students, and he doesn't want to take it in that direction. It's mainly a list of people who are outright frauds, or suspected of being such.

BhanteLucky
  • Dakini said:

The best teachers I've heard about insist they're nobody special, and ask their students to not put them on a pedestal. I think that's a pretty good standard to use.

I agree. Almost all of the Teachers and Ministers and Preachers I've known in any temple or church or group are working hard, doing a low paying, frustrating, sometimes thankless job because they deeply care about people and want to help.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Well, it's supposed to be about humility, overcoming the ego, cultivating compassion, and all that. What kinds of an example is a teacher setting, if they require a throne and an obsequious following?

I think the influence the West will lend to Buddhism will be in the realm of accountability, transparency, and a more democratic environment.
    Nadja
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2013
    I do believe in upadesha pointing out instructions where a teacher points out to the student. It is not like a systematized text rather the teacher and student are close enough that there is I guess a creative approach.

From the standpoint of upadesha pointing out instructions I do value a lineage. It goes all the way back to Buddha. A contrast to texts it is a meeting of the minds.

It's like a renaissance painter has a student. Or Socrates had a student. As opposed to someone who studies the painter or philosopher without direct contact. I think it's really quite obvious that a student teacher relationship can contribute towards learning.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    WHAT?! The founder of Loving Hut restaurants is a cult leader? Jeez...
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    ...I do value a lineage. It goes all the way back to Buddha.
    @Jeffrey -- To the extent you value lineage, to that extent exactly I suggest you study a little history. "All the way back to the Buddha" is one of those much-used suggestions that fares poorly under scrutiny. I'm not saying a good story doesn't have its uses, but knowing what's a story and what's not may help to clear the air.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Well there are traditions that go all the way to the Buddha such as Milerapa learning ultimately from Naropa etc and that going back to the Buddha. You could read about that lineage, Naropa.
  • wikipedia
    egacy

Naropa is remembered for his trust and devotion to his teacher, which according to his namthar enabled him to attain enlightenment in one lifetime.

He is also remembered as part of the "Golden Garland", meaning a lineage holder of the Tibetan Buddhist Kagyu school, and was considered an accomplished scholar. A great practitioner, Naropa is best known for having collated the six yogas of Naropa. These practices help achieve Buddhahood more rapidly. Many subsequent Kagyu Karmapas have been particularly adept at one or more of these six yogic practices, which in Vajrayana tradition are held to have been given by the Buddha and were passed on through an unbroken lineage via Tilopa to Naropa, Marpa and Milarepa and on to the present day.

Naropa is considered one of the eighty-four Mahasiddhas, the 'saints' of Vajrayana. The Naropa University in Colorado, U.S.A. was named in his honour.
  • Just as one needs to apprentice with a master woodcrafter in order to hone their craft skills, so must an individual train with a qualified teacher in order to deepen their practice. You should be critical when investigating who should be such a teacher but that does not mean that the practice must be entirely discarded. We learn from how other people interact in the world. To dedicate one's self to learning from a specific teacher who has embodied character traits that are beneficial to the alleviation of suffering is a practice which is aimed at attaining such qualities. Venerating another can be a tool to help cease self-grasping. That being said I would agree with H.H. Dalia Lama who claims that one should not follow a teacher who's reasoning does not accord with one's own.
    MaryAnnekarastiInvincible_summer
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    @TheEccentric you must be quite the master to know what the HHDL desires!
    Invincible_summerPatr
  • PatrPatr Veteran
    This list only manages to list the 'famous' and is just the tip of the iceberg.
    It concerns the organisation as a whole and leaves out various teachers who are still a part of TB/Zen/Hinduism whatever...

Most of us in Asia already know of the various cults existence, but there will always be new followers, converts. Scams are never ending because there will always be new generations of 'gullibles' popping up.

@Dakini,
    I think the influence the West will lend to Buddhism will be in the realm of accountability, transparency, and a more democratic environment.

I tend to think of the opposite, a vast unmined populace who hasn't a clue. A lot of the problematic higher profile Lamas tend to set up camp in the west for that purpose.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Patr said:

I tend to think of the opposite, a vast unmined populace who hasn't a clue. A lot of the problematic higher profile Lamas tend to set up camp in the west for that purpose.

Yes, but that phase, when they can prey on a naive public, is passing. They've been around now for 40 years, and people are getting wise. TB is starting to go down the same path as Hinduism. At first everyone was enthralled with all the swamis, then problems developed, scandals, lawsuits. Now Hinduism is largely forgotten and discredited. It's starting to happen in Zen and TB now. Several women in France have filed criminal charges against a lama in one of (the old) Kalu Rinpoche's temples. And the new Kalu Rinpoche is very much for accountability; he fired all the corrupt lamas and replaced them. There's hope, step by step. Canada has made a couple of documentaries about abuse in Buddhism.

• ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    The list lumps together those with issues of morality, outright frauds and those who simply have a doctrinal dispute and repays careful reading in order to discern which is which. Without going down the route of a papacy and imprimateur (permission to teach given by the central authority) Buddhism is going to be a disparate group of lamas, monks and teachers. The Dalai Lama may often be called the Pope of Buddhism but in reality he isn't even the head of his own order, just a good spokesman and senior teacher for the mainstream Gelug school. In this kind of framework there are going to be disputes as to what is necessary and unnecessary in practice.

Sangharakshita brought Buddhism within reach of thousands of people in the UK who were crying out for the Dharma, same for Kelsang Gyatso*. Many people who live within easy reach of Dharma centres associated with more mainstream groups like to think of themselves as practicing the true Dharma and sometimes regard the less mainstream as being dangerous or corrupted. This helps no-one. Within a thirty mile radius of my home I have two Dharma centres - guess which two groups they belong to! If the choice has to be accept the limitations of a less-than-perfect teacher who still knows much more than I do or practice alone without a teacher then I know that there is only one choice for me. Eyes open and mindfulness are pre-requisites for studying anything with any teacher, especially so for spirituality.

*whether he is a Geshe now or not it is indisputable that he was at one time and recognised by HHDL.
    lobsterInvincible_summerperson
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Quite so Zen Badger. That list is ancient and discredited. Not to say that there are no problems, there are of course.
    There are a host of self proclaimed Buddhist teachers. Some of them have there own little set-ups away from the public gaze. Some these spend a good deal of time sniping at better known teachers from their own private gompas and zendos.
    Let the buyer beware.
    But the Kelsang Gyatso/Shugden business is entirely political, and it takes two parties to make a political dispute.
    Traktung Rinpoche has fwiw since that list was published, has been fully recognised by senior Tibetan teachers as a valid teacher.
    Neither of those teachers by the way has ever been accused of any wrongful behaviour...just of not belonging to the Dalai Lama's approved list.
    Jetsumna was appointed by the previous head of the Nyingmapa..and he at no time withdrew his recognition of her.
    However she wears make-up and dyes her hair so is a source of hostility to some who prefer their female teachers to be oriental and/or to be nuns..

Tibetan Buddhism is, and has always been a hotbed of political intrigue and conspiracy.
    Sadly that goes with the territory.
    But as one of the great teachers said, the fake exists only because the real exists.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Jeffrey said:

wikipedia

egacy
    Naropa is remembered for his trust and devotion to his teacher, which according to his namthar enabled him to attain enlightenment in one lifetime.

He is also remembered as part of the "Golden Garland", meaning a lineage holder of the Tibetan Buddhist Kagyu school, and was considered an accomplished scholar. A great practitioner, Naropa is best known for having collated the six yogas of Naropa. These practices help achieve Buddhahood more rapidly. Many subsequent Kagyu Karmapas have been particularly adept at one or more of these six yogic practices, which in Vajrayana tradition are held to have been given by the Buddha and were passed on through an unbroken lineage via Tilopa to Naropa, Marpa and Milarepa and on to the present day.

Naropa is considered one of the eighty-four Mahasiddhas, the 'saints' of Vajrayana. The Naropa University in Colorado, U.S.A. was named in his honour.
    Not only is there ample evidence that the both the Kagyu and Nyingma can trace their lineages back to Shakyamuni Buddha, there is evidence that they are older even than that.
    The Ganges Mahamudra teachings were already ancient when Shakyamuni learned them.
    " Our" Buddha did not simply appear in a vacuum.
    Jeffrey
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Neither is this particularly extraordinary.
    We in west have short memories, but in India they have a different perspective on time.
    There are temples in South India which house Vedic teachings which predate Shakyamuni Buddha by a thousand years. But which are still chanted by monks on a daily basis..
    Jeffrey
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2013
    There's a lot more to Jetsunma than you mention, Citta. She's on the list for good reason.
    Reading the book, Buddha From Brooklyn, would be a good start. It provides some insight into Penor Rinpoche's motives in appointing her, as well as his and other Nyingma lamas' m.o.'s in doing business in general.
  • Thank you for this thread. I've recently cut myself off from "a cult of personality." And it really wasn't so much due to the teacher, but rather some of the individuals he holds close to him. So much arrogance, envy, dishonesty, manipulation, and pettiness... it broke my heart to leave. But then again, you are the company that you keep, no? If these are the individuals he is proud to have by his side, then what does that say about him? I know I would not trust individuals that slow on the path to be spokespeople for my mission.
    MaryAnne
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    As the Buddha said, look for the virtuous friends. Otherwise, walk alone, like the rhinoceros. (Rhinoceros Sutra)
    lobster
  • So much arrogance, envy, dishonesty, manipulation, and pettiness
    tsk . . . tsk . . . all my most refined qualities . . . with a healthy dose of judgementalism of course . . .

Just remember your authentic recognition that a teacher is also reflected in the company they keep. Sorry about the broken heart. :bawl:

Some individuals will continue to support for decades the uncontrolled, charismatic, abusive and even worse, themselves, before admitting they are as deluded as an uncontrolled over ripe avocado . . .

What are we like?
    guacamole rulez? :wave:
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Dakini said:

There's a lot more to Jetsunma than you mention, Citta. She's on the list for good reason.
    Reading the book, Buddha From Brooklyn, would be a good start. It provides some insight into Penor Rinpoche's motives in appointing her, as well as his and other Nyingma lamas' m.o.'s in doing business in general.

I didnt mention anything Dakini, apart from the fact that she did not appoint herself.
    And wears make-up.
    She was appointed by a Lama who himself was recognised for a duration as the head of the Nyingmapa. Those are facts easily verified.
    The relationship between Vajrayana teachers and students are for better or worse a closed circle.
    Anyone thinking of approaching the Vajrayana needs to know that and if that is unacceptable either go elsewhere or find a teacher without human flaws. And they dont exist.
    I guess the bottom line is if you are not willing to surrender to a flawed human being because you do not see the benefits outweighing the risks then the Vajrayana is not for you.
    Which is an important realisation.
    Tens of thousands of western Buddhists consider the risk worth betting on.
    There is always the alternative of " giving back " one's Refuge in the Guru.
    Very very few people do.
    Within that of course we may well find ourselves attracted to particular teachers for a host of reasons. And we should before embarking on the Vajra path check to see that any given teacher is a legitimate part of a recognised lineage..and has permission to teach from their teacher.
    Its pretty simple really.
  • edited April 2013
    lobster said:

tsk . . . tsk . . . all my most refined qualities . . . with a healthy dose of judgementalism
    I just want to add that I know what I said comes off as judgemental, but in this case I think it was something that truly needed to be identified. In no way do I expect a teacher's followers to be perfect nor his staff, but if that teacher cannot and will not call those people out on their behaviors, it is a sign of favoritism and thus makes you question why there is favoritism in the first place... I'll let your imagination run wild on that one. If you look at the entire picture, you begin to see that unacceptable, destructive behaviors are being allowed for a reason. Why? Why would a respected teacher allow that to happen if they themselves are not operating on the same wavelength as well? To ignore them on purpose is very cultish in nature... especially when these individuals are appointed as teachers, too, to carry forth your message! It's like an obese doctor telling you to eat right and making fun of you for not doing so; the hypocrisy is astonishing and you begin to wonder why you started to trust these people in the first place. It was a very cultish group and you could tell after a while that "outsiders" were not really welcomed but instead just used and seen as being not good enough or equal, even on a basic humanistic level. The egos were just out of control and it just felt like they never accepted anyone not in their close-knit circle.
    lobster
  • @Nadja I agree with you. If you want to know what kind of a leader the Teacher might be, you do have to pay attention to the inner circle and discover what they're like. If the Teacher can't or won't be bothered to pay attention to the dynamics of the Sangha then it's a big sign that it's dysfunctional.
    lobsterNadjaMaryAnne
  • Cinorjer said:

@Nadja I agree with you. If you want to know what kind of a leader the Teacher might be, you do have to pay attention to the inner circle and discover what they're like. If the Teacher can't or won't be bothered to pay attention to the dynamics of the Sangha then it's a big sign that it's dysfunctional.

Thanks. Like I said, it was (and still is) really hard to step away from it all. Part of it is guilt (i.e. you can't reach enlightenment without your teacher's help/guidance) and part of it is that I could not (or at least refused to) see my teacher doing anything truly inappropriate. Even though I kept receiving warnings from others about this particular teacher and group, I still wanted to defend them. So... yes... it is very hard for me to walk away from this right now, and your words help me to reinforce the notion that I made the right decision.
  • If you want to know what kind of a leader the Teacher might be, you do have to pay attention to the inner circle and discover what they're like.
    the apple does not fall far from the tree is one way of describing the situation.
    Good companions are priceless.

Good teachers are reflected in their fruits. Bad, false and abusive teachers may provide hard lessons . . . not recommended. Find the easy way . . . as if . . .
    Why are we attracted to charismatics, cult leaders and Micky Mouse Dharma? Might it just be that we have not yet become authentic and like calls to like?

Now that I am almost wise and absurdly humble, I can distinguish my failings as if belonging to a charlatan . . . which of course some of us always are . . .

In a sense we judge externals, others . . . if that discernment is applied to ourselves . . . oh the humanity . . .

:wave:
    NadjaInvincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Nadja
    That innate separation from existence that fostered our own creation is often assuaged by the teacher or Sangha who fills some of that sense of lacking.
    To walk away from a loved teacher or Sangha is to re open ancient wounds that your practise with them probably seemed to have healed.
    I think, few things are tougher to do. I know some folks who are still haunted, 30 years later by such decisions. Those who truly move on, are those who use that experience to explore what the cause of their discomfort really is, rather than focusing on the endless blaming of others. Those who successfully move on simply find a deeper truth that shines free of the conditions that their former teacher & Sangha represented.
    Sometimes exploring other sites, dedicated to those going through such trials, can be revealing.
    PM me if you want to try such a site.

lobster
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Citta said:

The relationship between Vajrayana teachers and students are for better or worse a closed circle.
    Anyone thinking of approaching the Vajrayana needs to know that

Exactly. Prospective students need to know this. There needs to be more information widely available about the nature of Vajrayana.
    Citta said:

She was appointed by a Lama who himself was recognised for a duration as the head of the Nyingmapa. Those are facts easily verified.

This means nothing by itself. This is why HHDL and others in TB say to check the teacher out thoroughly before handing over your trust. The proof is in the pudding, not the Geshe degree, the lineage, or who waved a magic wand and went *poof* to declare someone a reincarnate teacher.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    Quite right.
  • Though not mutually exclusive, it is fairly easy to spot those gurus who have grandiose and egocentric projects to build temples to world peace, and those who contribute to world peace through their humble and compassionate actions. It is even simpler with the sexual exploitation, alcohol abuse and financial fraud - if their actions (and those they permit amongst their close followers) show their words to be hypocrisy, surely we know what to do.

Bringing Dharma to the West may seem good, but if you bring water to thirsty people and they later discover it is laced with a slow poison, you have done them no favours. I left such an organisation - but I also admire those who stay and try to salvage what is good.
    SillyPuttylobsterDakini
  • It may also be true that many of these teachers can be truly wise and inspiring and, feared by Mara, are tempted by his dancing daughters (or sons) and simply fail.
    FyreShaman
  • Guys, I threw myself out of the Yinyana cult for starting it. Nobody is allowed to join in case they try to join a cult. So far we have been very successful.

I heard of one dangerous cult, you have to give away all your possessions, obey loads of petty rules, they make you dress and look the same. The leaders don't work but rely on hardworking followers . . . wait a minute . . . I just described the sangha . . .
    :hair:
    FyreShamanJeffreykerance
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    lobster said:

Guys, I threw myself out of the Yinyana cult for starting it. Nobody is allowed to join in case they try to join a cult. So far we have been very successful.

I heard of one dangerous cult, you have to give away all your possessions, obey loads of petty rules, they make you dress and look the same. The leaders don't work but rely on hardworking followers . . . wait a minute . . . I just described the sangha . . .
    :hair:

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.

~Groucho Marx

:mullet:
    riverflowlobstercaz
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Trungpa's movie there was a lama who said "when you get to the top of the mountain and you see a bird...." "Don't think that you can fly too". I think CTR is the real deal though not to derail the thread.

I actually bought two tickets to that movie but I didn't know anybody to go. My mom was with my gramma. And it was my dad's anniversary.