Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

my dumbest mistake

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
Posted elsewhere, but thought to post it here as well:

Question: What is the dumbest mistake you ever made?

That's a question I really and truly can't answer. But at my age, I have a very, very strong hunch that my biggest mistake is exactly and precisely the 'smartest thing I ever did ...'

Whatever that is.

Do you have a "dumbest mistake" or "smartest thing?"
Invincible_summer

Comments

• SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Not sure. Any "dumbest mistake" would be one where I haven't learned anything from the experience.

"Smartest thing" would be not to repeat my dumbest mistakes. :D
    riverflow
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Leaving my roomate and friends 'plus'. She was an alcoholic and that is why it was the smartest thing. The dumbest thing is that now she has totally turned around her life and is now the manager of a pharmacy. I tend to think that our chemistry would be changed in any case by now; I liked the fact that she was in distress like it was florence nightningale syndrome.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I was stationed in Germany (Bielefeld) with the British army and on the tail end of a four-day-bender, a mate and myself decided it would be a good idea to go AWOL (though the Adjutant reckoned it was desertion) and join the French Foreign Legion.

We took rucksacks, sleeping bags and bottles of schnapps and started hitch hiking. On morning 1, we woke up outside some garage in Belgium; that was a bit of a shock. But we found a pub, had a few more beers, and decided to continue towards France. On morning 3 we woke up in the French Foreign Legion in Lille; that was a bit of a shock also, and we asked to leave. I remember a big hairy-bottomed German corporal screaming at us; I think he was annoyed that we wasted their time.

We were out of money by this time, so we paid the British Consulate Embassy a visit and they contacted our unit and we were given train tickets (the cost of which was later deducted from our pay) back to Germany, but we had enough for one last night out in Koln, where we should've changed trains for Bielefeld.

We arrived back at barracks on the Thursday; we should've been on parade the prior Monday; we were put under close arrest for four days and subsequently we were both awarded 28 days detention.

Lille is quite lovely though, from the fragments I can remember.

The smartest thing I did was to go to A.A..
    JeffreyJohn_Spencerzombiegirl
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I'm not sure I have one that didn't lead to a good result. The 2 that stick in my mind:

When I was 18, I transferred to a college (from a local college) 300 miles away because I was mad at my mom. But that was where I met the guy who would give me my 2 children and met a community I still adore and still miss (the same community I later returned to and met my husband).

It took me much longer than it should have to leave a bad relationship. Many years longer. It was not abusive but it was not healthy. But he was my kids' father and I had to know I did all I could. Eventually he took his life on the downward spiral I knew he would, and he died. But my children treasure the years of memories they did get with him, which they would not have had if I had left the very first time I considered it.

Smartest thing I did: Moved my family back to my home town. My kids have tons of support and family around them and it's been outstanding for their development in many ways.

Oooh wait I have one really bad one that never had a good result. About 10 years ago when I was new to my job and insecure with my coworkers, a bunch of us went to the bar after work. Most of the people had been drinking for hours and I was the only person not drunk because I worked until midnight. So I had CO Bulldogs (drinks) and chased them with shots of vodka and was horribly drunk within 2 hours. Then I drove home. I have never been so sick in my life (I was sick for 2 days) nor have I ever felt so horrible about anything I have done. I was so extremely lucky I did not kill or hurt anyone. I have never driven after having even a single drink since then, and I never will. So perhaps that is a lesson learned but I knew better than that to begin with. Still can't believe I did that. I'd never done it before that, I really can't explain it. My car was a 5-speed too, I don't even know how I managed to start it much less drive it home. Horrifying.
    Jeffreyzombiegirlnenkohai
  • edited May 2013
    Not buying Berkshire Hathaway stock in 1967.
    $2,050 (100 shares) would now be worth almost $16 million today.
    SillyPutty
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Good thing forest gump invested in that fruit company :D
  • I'm afraid I have too many mistakes to choose from!!!
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    I've got too many to choose from too. I must be f**k'n smart!
    Invincible_summer
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    So do I have too many to choose from.... :(
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I remember when I was in junior high I made a new friend who smoked a lot of pot and introduced me to it. I thought she was the coolest girl I had ever met and was so enamored in everything she did that I remember bragging about how cool drugs were to my cousin(who was also my best friend). My cousin started smoking pot sometime after that, but I had determined on my own that drugs weren't really for me and it became one of the things that began to push us apart. I just kind of... let her go. Fast forward ten years... rehab after jail after fuck up after fuck up she still can't stay away from heroin. I realize there is a big leap from pot to heroin, but I do blame myself for introducing her to intoxicants in general and also for not being around to talk her out of it as she got worse. I wish instead of walking away, I would have fought for our friendship. I just didn't know. It still breaks my heart.
  • @zombiegirl- have you told your cousin this? You may still have influence with her.
    Migyur
  • CheChe Veteran
    We have a Victoria Cross (Medal Of Honour equivalent) recipient here in Australia who is a Korea and Vietnam veteran. He was at a primary school recently talking to the children and one of them asked him what was the most frightening thing he ever did. He said "Walking down the aisle of a church about 30 years ago" :)
    Dumbest thing I ever did? Walking away from the one I walked down the aisle with.

riverflow
  • GuiGui Veteran
    The smartest thing I ever did was to get married.
    The dumbest mistake I ever made was to get married.
  • nenkohainenkohai Veteran
    smartest? To marry a goddess.
    dumbest? remains classified to the betterment of all humankind.
    riverflow