Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Simple Pleasures

I was reading an article on simple pleasures in the newspaper the other day and (according to a survey) peoples Top 10 Simple Pleasures are as follows...

1. Popping bubble wrap.
2. Trampling through snow.
3. Watching kid's films.
4. Kicking piles of leaves
5. Licking the cake mix bowl.
6. Building a snowman.
7. Going on a swing.
8. Pulling silly faces.
9. Having a water/snowball fight.
10. Going on rides at theme parks.

It got me thinking. What are your top simple pleasures in life that really make you smile?

Personally, I don't need to pull a face for mine to be silly and I'd pay NOT to go on a roller coaster but cake mix bowl? Yes please!
SillyPuttykashipersonInvincible_summerTheEccentric

Comments

• Im with you on the cake bowel my friend.

Silence
    The sound of Rain
    A slight breeze
    drinking tea
    Looking at the symbol of the dharma wheel
    a smile on a child
    A hug
    a Buddha image
    Animals
    JimyoriverflowInvincible_summer
  • Drinking hot tea (make that tea for two @kashi !)
    Playing the flute
    Going for a walk
    Listening to the wind through pine trees (my favourite sound I think)
    The purring of a contented cat
    Reading poetry
    A lazy nap with my girlfriend...
    kashiInvincible_summerSillyPutty
  • One cup of tea coming up lol
    :coffee: <--- pretend thats tea and the smiley is happy
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Killing babies
    Scratching my nails on a chalk board
    Eating deep fried bacon
    Practical jokes at others expense
    Burning ants with a magnifying glass
    Throwing rocks at cars on the overpass
    Mailbox baseball
    SillyPuttypersonlobster
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @riverflow - I don't mean to sound snarky, but do pine trees sound different than other trees when wind moves past them?

Silence
    Walking in nature
    The sound of a bicycle's freewheel when coasting (link here in case you don't know what I'm talking about)
    Warmth of the sun
    The feeling of grass between your toes/fingers
    Walking barefoot
    riverflowSillyPutty
  • @riverflow - I don't mean to sound snarky, but do pine trees sound different than other trees when wind moves past them?

Yes, actually they do! Pines are softer (I have pine trees all in the front of my apartment so I can make these subtle distinctions! haha)
    Invincible_summerTheEccentric
  • Wisdom23Wisdom23 Veteran
    For me i am ever so simple minded.

What keeps me happy?

Rude words mentioned at inappropriate times and cups of tea.

And i thought i would add 'tis a fine day to be buddhist!'
    Invincible_summerriverflowSillyPutty
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Let's see... well, I'm a very simple person, so I do not know much about "advanced pleasures." What would they be anyway? What would be the difference between simple and not-so-simple pleasures?

Everyone pretty much touched upon a lot of simple pleasures I enjoy as well (although I try to keep my mailbox baseball at a minimum, @Jeffrey :lol: ), so here are a couple I thought of off the top of my head:

- getting a high scoring word on Words with Friends
    - having a lightbulb moment
    - kisses from my doggies
    - seeing my doggies have a good time
    - seeing the wildlife outside being carefree and happy
    - nice, ice cold water when you're really thirsty
    - nice soft, fluffy pillows and bedsheets/comforters
    - the "smell" of autumn
    - a perfect 70 degree day
    - thundershowers
    - corny jokes
    - men's cologne
    - fresh basil
    - walking at night, jammin' to my ipod
    Invincible_summer
  • - a perfect 70 degree day

^^^ THIS. (making me miss New Zealand....! haha)
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited May 2013

- thundershowers

Speaking of, it just started to thunder and lightning where I'm at. Oh how I love thunderstorms!!! If I was on Twitter, I'd do something obnoxious like #thunderstormsareseksi :lol:
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    All trees sound different when they wave in the wind, if you listen closely :)
    I love thunderstorms, too! We don't have much of a risk of tornadoes so we can just enjoy. We're actually trained spotters so we report in to the weather service, too.

Being barefoot as often as possible
    Walking
    The smells of the different seasons
    Cuddling with my sons and watching cartoons
    Having debates with my teenager
    Holding hands with my husband
    Listening to olden days stories told by my grandma
    Drinking a perfect cup of tea
    Realizing my meditation session was much longer than I thought it would be
    Making cake just to eat the batter!
    Listening to the loons call and the wolves howl at night when our windows are open
    riverflowSillyPuttyTheEccentricInvincible_summer
  • ^^^

deciduous trees have some variant of "ssshhh..."

conifers are more like "ffffff..."

haha
    Invincible_summerBeej
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    time spent "free flowing".
    Invincible_summer
  • hot bath
    karastiInvincible_summer
  • Soft lip's and firm breasts.. ...crap was that too much info? My bad
  • kashi said:

Soft lip's and firm breasts.. ...crap was that too much info? My bad

:lol: Sorry... couldn't resist. :D
    Invincible_summerJeffrey
  • I don't want to assume anything here but I find it interesting your reaction to some of the poems others have written by some that has anything to do with sex is "i need to take a cold shower" and the response to me is.. .yoir calling me a creep? Um...care to elaborate @SillyPutty ?,
  • kashi said:

I don't want to assume anything here but I find it interesting your reaction to some of the poems others have written by some that has anything to do with sex is "i need to take a cold shower" and the response to me is.. .yoir calling me a creep? Um...care to elaborate @SillyPutty ?,

• I was just a bit confused. ..songs can be taken in many different ways.
  • Ok then....
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited May 2013
    @kashi - Clearly the song was a joke, as was @SillyPutty's intent. You yourself said "crap was that too much info? My bad," indicating that you were aware of how some people may see your post as "weird" or something. So what is the problem?
    SillyPutty
  • Its still pretty freakin rude. And Ive yet to get a reason why this was chosen for me specifically. Sorry but it kind of hurt my feelings so thanks for that, and thanks for those who think name calling is funny. Your too kind.
  • JimyoJimyo Explorer
    edited May 2013
    Let's all just get along dudes and dudettes. Life's too short and things can easily get misconstrued when you can just see words and not get the tone of what's being said like if it were face to face.
    karmablues
  • @Jimyo I do want to get along, i just think its not too much to ask for an apology from @SillyPutty but even after bringing this up and sending private messages she has stopped talking to me.
    What do you say @SillyPutty just a simple Im sorry and back to being civil adults? Im not here to make enemys or have anyone hate me
    Jimyo
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I think the point of sillyputty is that it wasn't intended and the point of karasti is that his feelings were hurt and he doesn't want them to get hurt and feel attacked.

What can we do here to honor both? I have enjoyed both of your company and I hope we can laugh about this controversy later.
    Jimyokarmablues
  • Jeffrey said:

I think the point of sillyputty is that it wasn't intended and the point of karasti is that his feelings were hurt and he doesn't want them to get hurt and feel attacked.

What can we do here to honor both? I have enjoyed both of your company and I hope we can laugh about this controversy later.

Well, I want to honor @SillyPutty by reaching out an open hand and offer my friendship. Will you take my hand friend?
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I wanted to say "smelling flowers", but the more i thought about it, it is actually become quite a complex thing for me to do because i know there is no "smeller" of the flower, so i then am lead to ask, "what is this?". And then the circular dance of life begs another sniff.......... and this goes on until the bus comes. It probably looks simple to an observer that is not me. :)
    lobsterInvincible_summer
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    I enjoy

humour
    nature
    chores
    chanting
    food
    people
    solitude
    animals
    technology
    new Buddhist

. . . even the complex things, seem simpler, when simplified . . .
    JimyoBeejInvincible_summer