Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does Anyone Here Play Chess? :)

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
Does anyone here play Chess? If so, please go to SparkChess (http://www.sparkchess.com/) you can play it by downloading it to your Chrome browser as an "App" or you can go to the website provided above. If anyone cares to play, my name is LeonBasin on there.

Comments

• Maybe some time later (coming down with my Christmas family flu). I used to play chess quite a bit. Probably forgot a whole lot!
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

Maybe some time later (coming down with my Christmas family flu). I used to play chess quite a bit. Probably forgot a whole lot!

Okay! Awesome! Let me know when you do!:)
  • Maybe Red Hot Pawn will be of interest
    I would play . . . but have decided to resign from game playing. I believe this is essential for wannabe Bodhi's? Do you feel the increased concentration would be useful or would I be better employed in competitive dharma debate? Just need to check mate . . .

:bawl: Oops still playing word games . . . oh well . . .
    ericcris10sen
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    I used to play chess but it made my brain hurt so I stopped. :p
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I use to like chess.. but I gave it up for GO.. much more interesting, got to love those Chinese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(game)
    lobster

I used to play chess but it made my brain hurt so I stopped. :p

That means it's working!!
    sova
    Jayantha said:

I use to like chess.. but I gave it up for GO.. much more interesting, got to love those Chinese.

I also play GO! Let's play sometime: http://goshrine.com/ (Where do you play)?
    This is seriously a great place to play: http://www.chesscube.com
    lobster said:

Maybe Red Hot Pawn will be of interest
    I would play . . . but have decided to resign from game playing. I believe this is essential for wannabe Bodhi's? Do you feel the increased concentration would be useful or would I be better employed in competitive dharma debate? Just need to check mate . . .

:bawl: Oops still playing word games . . . oh well . . .

I am definitely noticing a difference in my logic/common sense.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    LeonBasin said:

Jayantha said:

I haven't played it online in ages! I'll check that link out.
  • My husband and I used to play chess all the time (back in the day). I really like the game, but I would lose at least 8 games out of every 10. I'm a Looooooser!
    But I'm a graceful loser. Wouldn't complain much, would just pout a few minutes and wonder why the hell I couldn't beat my husband! But being as competitive as I am, I would be eager to play again, sometimes in the same night.

When I would win, it was such a rare event, I would dance around the house and sing about it for the rest of the evening.
    I haven't played chess in about 20 yrs now. Hey- got bad knees, can't dance around the house anymore... takes the fun out of winning dontchyaknow! ;-)
    VastmindTheEccentric
    Jayantha said:

LeonBasin said:

Jayantha said:

I haven't played it online in ages! I'll check that link out.
    Highly suggest it! And let me know if you want to play a game!
    MaryAnne said:

My husband and I used to play chess all the time (back in the day). I really like the game, but I would lose at least 8 games out of every 10. I'm a Looooooser!
    But I'm a graceful loser. Wouldn't complain much, would just pout a few minutes and wonder why the hell I couldn't beat my husband! But being as competitive as I am, I would be eager to play again, sometimes in the same night.

When I would win, it was such a rare event, I would dance around the house and sing about it for the rest of the evening.
    I haven't played chess in about 20 yrs now. Hey- got bad knees, can't dance around the house anymore... takes the fun out of winning dontchyaknow! ;-)

LOL! You have made my day! Well, you can dance in your chair. So let us play together sometime:)
    Let me know when your up for a game! www.chesscube.com is the place!
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Leon! I have been using chesscube for a while now, let's play sometime! My username on there is sovakuliana
  • jlljll Veteran
    i usedc to play, nut not good at it.
    sova said:

Leon! I have been using chesscube for a while now, let's play sometime! My username on there is sovakuliana

Awesome!
    I'm LeonidBasin on there! Let me know when you are usually on there!
    jll said:

i usedc to play, nut not good at it.

Come play with us on ChessCube!:)
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    I used to play it but I got bored of it and I was mediorce, My Brother is good at it and really into it, I think he plays spark chess
  • I haven't played in like 15 years. I still remember the first move of the game i use is the right knight. And then black is just different compromises to defend e2 to e4. I vaguely remember fianchetto of the bishop as another tactic. I have a little talent as I beat everyone I played against in my dorm freshman year including a materials science major who was russian. But then again I am bad because I lost like 99 out of 100 matches against this guy from India we had subletting. I learned a lot of chess on those losses but unfortunately I haven't played since.

I never was good at the end game and I don't remember any openings. Maybe the middle game can be doable.

I used to play it but I got bored of it and I was mediorce, My Brother is good at it and really into it, I think he plays spark chess

Well, please let your brother know. I would love to play him!
    Jeffrey said:

I haven't played in like 15 years. I still remember the first move of the game i use is the right knight. And then black is just different compromises to defend e2 to e4. I vaguely remember fianchetto of the bishop as another tactic. I have a little talent as I beat everyone I played against in my dorm freshman year including a materials science major who was russian. But then again I am bad because I lost like 99 out of 100 matches against this guy from India we had subletting. I learned a lot of chess on those losses but unfortunately I haven't played since.

I never was good at the end game and I don't remember any openings. Maybe the middle game can be doable.

Let's play a game or two on ChessCube.com - You will enjoy it! I promise! I am still learning the game, I used to play with my dad when I was younger and then stopped and now I am trying to get back into it.
  • Leon, I'm over my flu mostly. I tried to go to chesscube and I couldn't find how to create an account. If you know where I should click let me know. Otherwise I guess I'll look at it again later to see if I can figure it out.
    Jeffrey said:

Leon, I'm over my flu mostly. I tried to go to chesscube and I couldn't find how to create an account. If you know where I should click let me know. Otherwise I guess I'll look at it again later to see if I can figure it out.

On top of the website you can create an account. Do you see it? It's to the right side? Up on top? Do you have Facebook? You can log with your Facebook account.
  • Found it now. I am NBJeffrey if you want to play but I have to eat atm.
    Jeffrey said:

Found it now. I am NBJeffrey if you want to play but I have to eat atm.

Okay, let me know when you are ready!
  • How do I search for you on the chesscube Leon?
  • I tried to send a message to Leon Basin and LeonBasin on chesscube
    Jeffrey said:

I tried to send a message to Leon Basin and LeonBasin on chesscube

It's LeonidBasin on there. I cannot play right now, but we will in a day or two.
  • Ok cool. I'll see if I can add you as a friend.
    So, I just got Chess.com - Premium Acccount and I'm loving it! I highly recommend it!! http://www.chess.com/ - Add me on there LeonidBasin - It was $99 for the whole year! It's like a cup of coffee or a Netflix account, but at least here you are working out your brain!:)
    lobster
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    I used to play a lot, my dad first taught me when I was 7 or 8, got quite good but haven't played in ages so can't remember much of the tactics.

I'd be interested in playing but not going to pay for it as I'm trying to cut costs where possible.

Thinking of starting to teach my son, he's 7.
    Lee82 said:

I used to play a lot, my dad first taught me when I was 7 or 8, got quite good but haven't played in ages so can't remember much of the tactics.

I'd be interested in playing but not going to pay for it as I'm trying to cut costs where possible.

It's free! I'm paying for it to get extra features. So definitely sign up! It's Free!!
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    LeonBasin said:

Lee82 said:

It's free! I'm paying for it to get extra features. So definitely sign up! It's Free!!
    Already had an account and didn't know, show's how much I've used it!

Sent you a FR. Not sure when I'll get chance to play but sure we can sort something out.
  • cptshrkcptshrk Explorer
    I LOVE chess! My white-side is pretty weak, but I'm awesome at defense...
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    e5

GAME ON!
    Lee82 said:

LeonBasin said:

Lee82 said:

Already had an account and didn't know, show's how much I've used it!

Sent you a FR. Not sure when I'll get chance to play but sure we can sort something out.
    Lol! It's all good! Whenever you have time. We can start a game and we can set it for every 5 days, basically you have to move one piece from 1-5 days.
    cptshrk said:

I LOVE chess! My white-side is pretty weak, but I'm awesome at defense...

It's all good! I'm still learning. I'm going to go to a Chess Club tomorrow, will let you know how it goes. However, I highly suggest you get on there and just play.
    Sabre said:

e5

GAME ON!

You added me? We are playing? What is your username on there?
    I'm online right now, same username
    cptshrk said:

I'm online right now, same username

I couldn't find you?? Add me LeonidBasin

Oh I was on the first website you posted about. Is is possible to play for free on the other site? If not we could play on FICS, look it up online.
    cptshrk said:

Oh I was on the first website you posted about. Is is possible to play for free on the other site? If not we could play on FICS, look it up online.

www.chess.com - LeonidBasin - It's Free!
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Jhana to Taras castle.

How do we develop concentration in the Kali yoga?
    Find what you love and 'play' as if your life depends on it.

“The chessboard is the world, the pieces are the phenomena of the
    Universe, the rules of the game are what we call the laws of Nature
    and the player on the other side is hidden from us”
    (Thomas Huxley)
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    I just signed up and played on my phone. Beat some fool and my rating went up to 1300 :p
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Played a couple more games and my ratings at 1362 blitz
    Nevermind said:

Played a couple more games and my ratings at 1362 blitz

I'm not doing well on there, add me if you would to play. LeonidBasin
    Game on player! My username is cptshrk108, if anybody else want to play :)
    cptshrk said:

Game on player! My username is cptshrk108, if anybody else want to play :)

We are playing??
    We are, I'm beating the crap outta you!
    DaltheJigsaw