Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Inevitable Evidence for God

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
I'm curious as to what others make of this article.
A remarkable discovery has gradually emerged in astrophysics over the past two decades and is now essentially undisputed: that certain key physical constants have just the right values to make life possible. In principle these constants could have taken on values wildly different from what they actually are, but instead, they are in some cases within a few percent of the “just right” values permitting us to exist in this universe. As Sir Martin Rees, the British Astronomer Royal and one of the world’s foremost cosmologists writes in his widely read Just Six Numbers: “Our emergence and survival depend on very special ‘tuning’ of the cosmos --- a cosmos that may be vaster than the universe that we can actually see.”

Science today is based on the premises of materialism, reductionism, and randomness. Materialism is the belief that reality consists solely of matter and energy, the things that can be measured in the laboratory or observed by a telescope. Everything else is illusion or imagination. Reductionism is the belief that complex things can be explained by examining the constituent pieces, such as the illusion of consciousness arising from elementary chemical processes in the brain. Randomness is the conviction that natural processes follow the laws of chance within their allowed range of behavior.

Given those beliefs there is one and only one way to explain the fine-tuning of the universe: An infinite number of universes must exist, each with unique properties, each randomly different from the other, with ours only seemingly special because in a universe with different properties we would never have originated. Our existence is only possible in this particular universe, hence the tuning is an illusion. This view suffers from three problems...

http://www.superconsciousness.com/topics/science/inevitable-evidence-god
He goes on to give some good arguments against the explanation of infinite universes, which has been my view. He goes on to make an argument for God, not the anthropomorphic God most theists would recognize but more of a universal consciousness/intelligence that sounds more in line with eastern religious thinking.

I guess his reasoning seems sound to me and I'm wondering if anyone sees any flaws in it.

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Some Buddhists believe that the karma of the beings drawn to the Universe creates the whole world. But then what is the mechanism of that? Some people believe that each person has a field that changes and attracts certain things to them like an aura. My therapist, a non-Buddhist, mentioned that.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Keeping in mind that I consider myself "half-Christian", I don't see how that article "proves" anything.
    ericcris10sen
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited May 2013
    vinlyn said:

Keeping in mind that I consider myself "half-Christian", I don't see how that article "proves" anything.

No I don't think it does prove anything either. To me the crux of his argument is there is no real scientific proof for infinite universes, its all theoretical and there is some evidence (the experience of mystics) that there is some sort of higher something. So all things being equal this higher something, which he calls God, is at least as valid to believe in.
  • @lamaramadingdong: Yes, the implicit assumption is that we are in some way special, therefore anything on which our evolution depended must be special, too.
    riverflow
  • In one translation of the Tao Te Ching it mentioned that the Tao is "older than God". In another translation, this was worded completely differently but that has always stuck with me: could something be older than God?

Or, could the dharma exist outside of time and space, à la older than the universe? What about things such as music or mathematics? It's a least conceivable that they could exist outside of the universe.

I tend to agree with the "our existence is only possible in this particular universe, hence the tuning is an illusion" part but I mentioned these other things just as an example. I'm sure God could exist but I'm still not sure how I feel. Sometimes I feel that I believe in God, other times not. Sometimes I wonder if ultimate reality is even more complex than we can imagine, i.e. what if God and Heaven/Hell, etc. are only temporary and there is a larger, permanent reality underlying everything? This, of course, would probably preclude the existence of other dimensions and/or parallel universes, which I tend to believe are real anyway.

Good question, and I will be sure to read the full article when I have time.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    It's basically the argument for intelligent design, right? That everything is just TOO perfect to be chance. That our bodies are just too remarkable and the atmosphere is just too perfect for our needs and how remarkable it is that our planet allows life at all.

It seems rather obvious to me that our bodies would be suited perfectly for the atmosphere after hundreds of thousands of years of evolution. Personally, I don't understand why people feel the need to believe that there is a god behind it all. I believe his primary intention was to find supportive evidence for god rather than observing the facts and seeing it as evidence for god. But of course, people will always try to find reasons to support previously held notions. That's all it seems to me, seeing complexity/amazing odds and explaining it away with god. Just like the classic intelligent design saying, "There must be a watchmaker."

This is all my personal opinion. I am not bothered by people believing in god, I just don't see anything in the excerpt from his book as infallible evidence. I also don't understand his use of the word "reductionist". Why does science without god have to be reductionist? Say the scientists DID believe in god and threw that into their theories... we'd still be no closer to understanding quantum physics or gold foil experiments or the observer or any of that crap. Would assuming god's reasoning actually help us discover anything new? So what if our proposed universes are devoid of purpose from a scientific perspective? That doesn't change anything. He even infers that scientists are plagued by the lack of belief in a god! Obviously he is, and that's okay, but why generalize that feeling? It's like when people tell me that my views are depressing because I don't believe in a Heaven. I'm just going off what I see. It's not depressing when you spend your life truly living and making each moment with your loved ones count, rather than betting on some "forever" elsewhere. Likewise, I don't find science depressing/lacking without belief in some grand conductor.

I think if it helps someone to believe in a god, they should do it, but don't assume that it's somehow necessary.
    Lucy_BegoodriverflowArthurbodhiSimon
    @lamaramadingdong @fivebells @riverflow He does acknowledge the view that a perfectly tuned universe would be possible without some intent or purpose behind it if there are infinite universes and infinite universes is my belief as well. The author argues against this not in obliviousness to it.

@zombiegirl It isn't the classic intelligent design argument that you do a good job of debating. Its an argument against multiple universes that I hadn't heard before.

Having mulled it over for a bit I see some issues.

First there's this one
    First of all, quantum fluctuations are a key ingredient of inflation theories that attempt to address how our universe, and myriad others, came into being. The problem is that quantum fluctuations presuppose the existence of quantum laws. If there truly were no quantum laws or any other laws whatsoever, nothing could happen. No laws, no action. The origin of universes as a result of quantum laws, inflation fields, or other arcane properties of string theory depends upon the preexistence of those laws or fields. And so, even the skeptical scientist cannot avoid taking that on faith.
    He talks about the fine tuning of the universe's physical laws that came into existence with the Big Bang but then here makes an argument about quantum laws which I don't think are in quite the same realm as gravity, thermodynamics, etc. Meaning quantum fluctuations could give rise to any number of physical laws and their preexistence could just speak to something prior to the Big Bang.

Number two
    The second problem is that none of the other universes can ever be observed, not even in principle, since trying to measure across universes with different fundamental laws would be like using a microphone to observe the moon or using a telescope to record a rock band. So, yet a second article of faith is required of the modern scientist: the existence of an infinite number of unseen universes.
    Apparently there are some ways we might be able to detect other universes. So it isn't correct to say we can't even in principle.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @person My bad! I read this part at the top:
    A remarkable discovery has gradually emerged in astrophysics over the past two decades and is now essentially undisputed: that certain key physical constants have just the right values to make life possible. In principle these constants could have taken on values wildly different from what they actually are, but instead, they are in some cases within a few percent of the “just right” values permitting us to exist in this universe.
    and saw that as some sort of thesis statement not even realizing that it was added there by the person writing the article. Skimming can get you in trouble... lol. I think I need to read through this article a little more thoroughly when I have more time. His writing style is not the easiest...
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    rivercane said:

In one translation of the Tao Te Ching it mentioned that the Tao is "older than God". In another translation, this was worded completely differently but that has always stuck with me: could something be older than God?

In Kabbala the 'veil of Daath' which includes the Ain Soph Aur are not comprehensible or knowable to humans. In Sufism, God is only knowable to God.
    These are our highest 'knowings'. Not the highest that is knowable by evolved or superior or god like 'intelligence'. Anything that can create time and space is considered god like. To a god this might be the equivalent of a child-gods random thought with their cornflakes . . .
    We can not conceive of a being that can 'exist' in its own 'non being' . . .

not if anything to say about it I have
    Yoda
    rivercaneKundo
  • To be honest, it's the same old stuff I've seen a hundred thousand times from deists, pantheists and panentheists. It's not particularly well thought through either.

His three "problems" are also trite. The first "problem" is explained away by m-theory en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory. His second "problem" is hypocritical, he bemoans scientists having "faith" in the multiverse theory and then immediately extols his own faith-based theory, at least the multiverse theory is based on mathematics, his "theory" is based on his desire for there to be a God, which leads us to his third "problem", that without God we have no purpose, no reason to live. Well, suck it up buddy you're a speck living on a speck, and when our insignificant species is eventually snuffed out the universe will not mourn, or even notice, our passing. His desire for his life to matter, to be important, isn't a good foundation for a theory of universal creation.
    zombiegirl
    Chrysalid said:

To be honest, it's the same old stuff I've seen a hundred thousand times from deists, pantheists and panentheists. ...

Yes, it is the same old story, really. As is your response from the opposite perspective.

It's been a very long time since I saw anything really new from either side. In fact, I doubt that there is anything new from either side. It's a classic debate.

person
  • M-theory was proposed in 1995, is that the definition of classic now?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Suppose you rolled a six sided die 1000 times and wrote down the rolls.

Ok, what are the odds that would happen in that particular sequence? Tiny. Can we say that since the odds were so small that God must have controlled the dice?
  • Jeffrey said:

Ok, what are the odds that would happen in that particular sequence? Tiny. Can we say that since the odds were so small that God must have controlled the dice?

God is the dice.

Kundo
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    The biggest problem with the website's premise is the entire "If the universe was different, then life couldn't exist, so something must have created the universe exactly the way it is for our benefit" is so breathtakingly backwards and egocentric, it's hard to know where to start. After reading that, not much else is going to make an impression on me.

And on top of that, it's wrong with the assumption that the universe fosters life. In fact, the universe as it exists is a deathtrap and life as we know it has barely survived the cosmic dance of destruction and might not be around for very long, on a cosmic time scale.

Oh, and the Science today is based on the premises of materialism, reductionism, and randomness. sounds like something learned from a home-school creationist textbook. Such a statement would certainly get a failing grade from any competent high school science teacher.
    riverflowvinlynArthurbodhiyagr
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Can god be experienced and known? Then objectively maybe we can point to his existence.
    If god cannot be experienced and known then the idea of god is just that, a concept, an idea, subjective in its nature.
  • swaydamswaydam Veteran
    Cinorjer said:

Oh, and the Science today is based on the premises of materialism, reductionism, and randomness. sounds like something learned from a home-school creationist textbook. Such a statement would certainly get a failing grade from any competent high school science teacher.

I think that is a concise overview of the metaphysics. Its not? Sorry, I just don't see the error. He's clearly not talking about the practice of science, but the general world view. Or so it seems to me.

Can god be experienced and known? Then objectively maybe we can point to his existence.
    If god cannot be experienced and known then the idea of god is just that, a concept, an idea, subjective in its nature.

It's a difficult topic. Some people feel they do "know" God. How can I say they are wrong?

I can't walk on Venus. So is it not there?

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Your concept of Venus is not there, your concept of Venus is not reality, it's just your thinking. This does not say Venus does not exist. I can hold a concept of a man fishing in Siberia, I am sure there men fishing in Siberia, but I can't experience them and know that right now. That does not negate the fact there are fishermen in Siberia. There is no physical, objective model of god. There are Siberian fishermen, and even though I cannot experience them or see them I know of their objective, verifiable existence. I cannot say that about god. So what am I left with? Concepts of what constitutes god. In so far as Venus, you can look with a strong telescope and physically see this planet they call Venus. So Venus can be objectively known and directly experienced, by way of a telescope and pictures taken by space probes. Vinlyn I know unicorns exists, deep in my bones, I know it. Would you say I am wrong or am I holding to a concept, an idea?
    person
    Alright, my example was not a good one. Try this one on for size:

Does Mara exist?

Were there 28 (or some other number) Buddhas?

Did the naga serpent protect Buddha in a violent thunderstorm?

Did Buddha see "it all"?
    They are nice concepts. You can apply the same logic to these as I did to god. I won't make the statement that god does not exist, because this would be just as bad as saying he exists. Faith requires you to believe that which you do not know. It certainly lacks certitude and one could question the validity of any truth or reason it might assert, atheist or believer. I don't know Mara, any Nagas. 28 Buddhas or who God is. Did Buddha really see them? I doubt it very much.
    Kundo

They are nice concepts. You can apply the same logic to these as I did to god. I won't make the statement that god does not exist, because this would be just as bad as saying he exists. Faith requires you to believe that which you do not know. It certainly lacks certitude and one could question the validity of any truth or reason it might assert, atheist or believer. I don't know Mara, any Nagas. 28 Buddhas or who God is. Did Buddha really see them? I doubt it very much.

Cool. You appear to be fair minded, balanced, and objective.

Theswingisyellow
    Thanks Vinlyn :)
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    The way I see it, the Universe has so many, many variables, and variables of variables, and on such a massive scale, that it is purely logical that some of those worlds would fall within the habitable zone of their system's star. And that of all those, some of them might even have water on then. But the writer of the article does not account for life-forms that may arise on worlds that we consider wholly uninhabitable. Beings that say, instead of being carbon based, are silicate based (some of these have been observed on earth, funnily enough.)

And in a different universe, we lowly carbon-based life forms may not exist. But who is to say that other, drastically different forms of "life" would not come forth there as well? We are a product of the Universe around us. We were not planned, nothing was. We arrived here by mere happenstance. Somewhere out there, among the trillions and trillions of galaxies, and the unimaginable amount of stars, and the even more unimaginable number of planets, life arose despite the overwhelming odds against it. Because no matter the odds, the sheer number of possible life-supporting worlds transcends it entirely. It is simple mathematics. Even if there is just a 0.01% chance of intelligent life (us) coming about, when you have trillions of planets... I mean it's just plain bound to happen, simple as that. Yes the conditions are just right, but the conditions are all that there are. It is not intelligence, it merely is.

*WE* are the Universe's intelligence. WE sprang forth from nothing more than hydrogen gas, so, so long ago. Throughout the aeons, we became the conduit through which the universe around us has achieved self-awareness. You, reading this, are the universe. You are the universe looking at itself, you are the universe asking questions, and gaining perspective.
    riverflow
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited May 2013
    swaydam said:

Cinorjer said:

I think that is a concise overview of the metaphysics. Its not? Sorry, I just don't see the error. He's clearly not talking about the practice of science, but the general world view. Or so it seems to me.
    Because these are all philosophies and a matter of belief systems, and science is not a philosophy and is not constrained by belief systems. Science is a method of investigating reality. That's all. The only premise science is based on is, if it exists, then it has some sort of effect on reality. Something does have to be real, in other words actually exist, for science to be able to investigate it.

Let's take Materialism. This is the belief that physical matter and energy are the only things that make up reality. Science supports this to a great extent because in all our investigation of the universe all we've ever found compelling evidence for is matter or energy in countless forms. But, the work of the deep thinkers in science are saying now that reality might be much stranger than it seems beginning with quantum physics. Because it's science and not a philosophy, this remains an unproven theory until they can design experiments to provide evidence one way or another.

See, creationists in particular keep trying to sell the idea that science is only a belief, because their creationism is a belief and they want to make the two equal. Science is not a belief. Science is a method of investigating reality. It is certainly not a set of beliefs about reductionism or randomness (and that one in particular is stupid talk from creationists when attacking evolution. Science in fact says the evidence is, almost nothing is really random).

I blame our educational system for people not knowing that science isn't just a set of facts or beliefs. I had a high school science teacher that was passionate about teaching us to investigate the world and the freedom in the classroom to nurture this instead of spending all his time handing out standard tests.
    riverflow
    @Theswingisyellow I appreciate your thinking on this. An example often used by skeptics is the example of a teapot orbiting the sun between the Earth and Mars. Someone could claim this and we couldn't empirically disprove it, however I feel using reason and logic we can. A teapot is by definition a manmade object, so in order for there to be one orbiting between earth and mars it must have been brought into space and then lost or deliberately set loose. As far as I know space agencies keep detailed records of what they bring to space with them and we could look at them to see if a teapot was ever taken into space and subsequently set loose.

It also works for the flying spaghetti monster. Spaghetti is a manufactured substance, so you'd have to say that some alien race thought spaghetti was the best material to engineer a flying biological creature into. I guess this doesn't %100 disprove it, but it makes it more unlikely.

In the same way I feel it is appropriate to use logic and reason to investigate certain claims about God or the supernatural that cannot be disproven or empirically measured. There are many reasons to doubt an anthropomorphic God which is omnipotent and omnibenevolent but would allow people to go to hell through no fault of their own, because they weren't born into a good Christian home. There are many interpretations of God that aren't like this that do hold up better to scrutiny though. Personally, I don't believe in a creator God.
    Theswingisyellow
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited May 2013
    @Cinorjer - I think you make an important point. If scientists would just remember that science is a method, not a dogma, then science would be better for it. At any rate, internet science forums would become a lot more sane. I regret the passing of people like Schrodinger and Eddington, who came into science with a decent all-round education.
    Cinorjer
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited May 2013
    rivercane said:

In one translation of the Tao Te Ching it mentioned that the Tao is "older than God". In another translation, this was worded completely differently but that has always stuck with me: could something be older than God?

Or, could the dharma exist outside of time and space, à la older than the universe? What about things such as music or mathematics? It's a least conceivable that they could exist outside of the universe.

I tend to agree with the "our existence is only possible in this particular universe, hence the tuning is an illusion" part but I mentioned these other things just as an example. I'm sure God could exist but I'm still not sure how I feel. Sometimes I feel that I believe in God, other times not. Sometimes I wonder if ultimate reality is even more complex than we can imagine, i.e. what if God and Heaven/Hell, etc. are only temporary and there is a larger, permanent reality underlying everything?

My preferred view would be that reality is more simple than we can think. The intellect is given nothing to grasp. As one mathematician puts it, while discussing the origin of the notion of 'zero', 'no rational attempt on this ice-wall can succeed.' Or as Kant puts it, this is not an instance of a category, therefore not accessible to categorical thought.

A phenomenon outside of spacetime cannot be old or young but it can be ontologically prior. Kabbalism, although it can be seemingly theistic, also has a fundamental phenomenon that is prior to God.

Music and mathematics require spacetime, so logic would suggest they are emergent. But it must be the case that their potential is contained in the Tao, along with the laws of physics, spacetime, pianos, bicycles and you and me.

But I do believe in God. He must exist in some sense because I created Him. I think of Him as a golfer thinks of a 'swing-thought', and very useful He is.
    rivercane
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    And why such a fastidious need to prove existence? :coffee:
    riverflow
  • swaydamswaydam Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Cinorjer said:

swaydam said:

Cinorjer said:

Because these are all philosophies and a matter of belief systems, and science is not a philosophy and is not constrained by belief systems. Science is a method of investigating reality. That's all. The only premise science is based on is, if it exists, then it has some sort of effect on reality. Something does have to be real, in other words actually exist, for science to be able to investigate it.
    Science isn't a philosophy, its an application of a philosophy. That's why he called materialism, reductionism, and randomness premises. And science is the investigation of phenomena. It doesn't make claims as to the ontology of the phenomena.
    Let's take Materialism. This is the belief that physical matter and energy are the only things that make up reality. Science supports this to a great extent because in all our investigation of the universe all we've ever found compelling evidence for is matter or energy in countless forms. But, the work of the deep thinkers in science are saying now that reality might be much stranger than it seems beginning with quantum physics. Because it's science and not a philosophy, this remains an unproven theory until they can design experiments to provide evidence one way or another.
    So all social scientists have been able to find in all their research is physical matter and energy? No, because social science is investigating a different dimension of reality. The dimension of emotion, consciousness, meaning, etc. Of course if you only investigate the hard solid aspect of reality, you are only going to see the hard solid aspect of reality.

Scientists make philosophical claims all the time. And that is fine. The problem is when they try and treat their philosophical views as scientific facts.
  • swaydamswaydam Veteran
    edited May 2013

See, creationists in particular keep trying to sell the idea that science is only a belief, because their creationism is a belief and they want to make the two equal. Science is not a belief. Science is a method of investigating reality. It is certainly not a set of beliefs about reductionism or randomness (and that one in particular is stupid talk from creationists when attacking evolution. Science in fact says the evidence is, almost nothing is really random).
    There is a collective way of thinking that the majority scientists, and big fans of science adhere to. There is no name for it, so people who want to challenge it tend to pick some other word like science instead.
    swaydam said:

There is a collective way of thinking that the majority scientists, and big fans of science adhere to. There is no name for it, so people who want to challenge it tend to pick some other word like science instead.

There is a skeptical mindset which is used to critically analyze certain claims, I'm on board with this. What I see then is that having discredited certain views there is often an unanalyzed counterclaim that whatever has been discredited doesn't exist. For example, I see no evidence for the existence of God so no reason to believe in him, so far so good. Then the counterclaim therefore God does not exist, this is a claim and as such requires the burden of proof skeptics like to put to other such supernatural claims but somehow always seems to get a free pass.
    Theswingisyellow
  • swaydamswaydam Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I kind of believe that reality is infinite. I believe that in an infinite reality, there is infinite potential/possibility. And with an infinite amount of time, all potentialities are likely actualized at some time, somewhere. So, since its possible for something God-like to exist, its likely that something God-like has existed before, or will exist at some time in the future, if not now. And God could simply be a being who achieved immortality and evolved so long that compared to us it is like God.

Crux of my point is. There are so many possibilities, and so so much is unknown, that its stupid to assume what does or doesn't exist, or to limit the possibilities of what could exist only to that which is considered "normal" according to an egocentric human perspective.

There is very little, if anything, which I can say "I KNOW". For me, there are only likelihoods until some way of figuring out how to have absolute knowledge is discovered. I'm not even sure of my own existence. And not knowing is very interesting.
    vinlyn
  • swaydamswaydam Veteran
    Also, I have faith that Reality is more amazing and miraculous than I can imagine. :)
    Kundo
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

Some Buddhists believe that the karma of the beings drawn to the Universe creates the whole world. But then what is the mechanism of that? Some people believe that each person has a field that changes and attracts certain things to them like an aura. My therapist, a non-Buddhist, mentioned that.

so, not like an official view by people far more experienced, but some thoughts on this that might be interesting / helpful / vague and deep enough as to en-trance interest :

- imagine pouring sand onto a big "cosmos" sheet

.. in some places the sand gathers up and creates little mountains of sand (dunes)

the dunes hang out for a little while, now imagine that they dissolve into the sheet of the cosmos

that's sorta how i envision the birth of world systems / planetary systems.

perhaps that can take you somespace beautiful =)

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.044.than.html
    swaydam
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    person said:

He goes on to give some good arguments against the explanation of infinite universes, which has been my view. He goes on to make an argument for God, not the anthropomorphic God most theists would recognize but more of a universal consciousness/intelligence that sounds more in line with eastern religious thinking.

I guess his reasoning seems sound to me and I'm wondering if anyone sees any flaws in it.

It's a wonder that people argue for God. If God shows himself, there is no need for the argument and one need also not to look for evidence. By the way, what good is evidence? It is not exactly fool proof , it is?
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    As someone who has existed in a 'state of Grace', I know God. From experience. From taste. Then I became an atheist because all my life this is the one place I could not reside in. Not intellectually but in a state of knowledge 'there is no god'.

Such are the ways to transcendence and extinguishing. It is enough to drive one to Buddhism ;)
    riverflow
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    God exists but he does not show himself. I hate people who play hide and seek.

Bottom line, it does not matter. God is as useful as a mirage is for thirsty mouths.
    lobster
  • Nek777Nek777 Explorer
    swaydam said:

Cinorjer said:

swaydam said:

Cinorjer said:

Science isn't a philosophy, its an application of a philosophy. That's why he called materialism, reductionism, and randomness premises. And science is the investigation of phenomena. It doesn't make claims as to the ontology of the phenomena.
    So all social scientists have been able to find in all their research is physical matter and energy? No, because social science is investigating a different dimension of reality. The dimension of emotion, consciousness, meaning, etc. Of course if you only investigate the hard solid aspect of reality, you are only going to see the hard solid aspect of reality.

Scientists make philosophical claims all the time. And that is fine. The problem is when they try and treat their philosophical views as scientific facts.

I don't think scientists make philosophical claims at all ... they leave that for the philosophers ... the present metaphysical thinking is quite fascinating and I think people would be a bit surprised at how close it reads to the Emptiness Teachings. There is currently a debate in metaphysics as to whether there are "things" at all - it could be that all that exists is structure.
    “On the structural realist view what Newton really discovered are the relationships between phenomena expressed in the mathematical equations of his theory” (1989, 122). If the continuity in scientific change is of “form or structure”, then perhaps we should abandon commitment to even the putative reference of theories to objects and properties, and account for the success of science in other terms. Others who have contributed to structural realism have more explicitly signalled a significant departure from traditional realist metaphysics.
    [O]ur science comes closest to comprehending ‘the real’, not in its account of ‘substances’ and their kinds, but in its account of the ‘Forms’ which phenomena ‘imitate’ (for ‘Forms’ read ‘theoretical structures’, for ‘imitate’, ‘are represented by’). (1989, 57).
    Ontic Structural Realsim
  • Nek777Nek777 Explorer
    In regard to the article, his logic is flawed.
    The final problem is more personal. If we are nothing but physical beings originating by chance in a random universe, then there really can be no ultimate purpose in our lives. This is not only bad news for us individually, it undermines the ethical and moral underpinnings of society and civilization.
    He seems to beg the question that ethics and morality are only possible in some non-random universe.
    riverflowperson
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2013
    @Nek777, just curious but what purpose is there? I find purpose in the practice. Just do it. And along the way I have these vistas and samadhis. Those are independent of the nature of the universe in the sense of randomosity lol so I am totally agreeing with you. I can love without the universe having been designed *for me* to love.
    riverflowlobster
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

Jeffrey said:

God is the dice.
    No, God is in the rolling of the dice.

• Interesting thread.

There is also the theory of the Universe being like a hologram, a projection.
    riverflowSilouan
  • Jeffrey said:

Jeffrey,

Yes I think karma is huge in Buddhist theory and also real life application.

Like breeds like, and there are strands which bind certain peoples' lives, for better or worse.

It's all very interesting, but the Buddha did warn against too much thinking about this - I believe it is one of the four imponderables, and it is more 'revealed' to individuals who are practicing, rather than something which can be intellectually grasped.

mmo
  • Nek777Nek777 Explorer
    Jeffrey said:

@Nek777, just curious but what purpose is there? I find purpose in the practice. Just do it. And along the way I have these vistas and samadhis. Those are independent of the nature of the universe in the sense of randomosity lol so I am totally agreeing with you. I can love without the universe having been designed *for me* to love.

I would agree.

I have sympathy for people going through some existential angst, craving a purpose. It can be a rather difficult thing. Sure, in the end whether the universe is random or not does not really matter. You are here already - now what?

It would be much easier to answer, if we can point to something and say, "This is what." I can only really speak from my perspective, but unfortunately - there doesn't really seem to anything to point to other than already existing. Despite what some theists may argue - the problem of knowledge stills exists within their paradigm. The problem has been thought about for thousands of years and still we are no closer to an answer, some of the best minds work on these metaphysical issues are coming up with, "Well, maybe we can't talk about 'things.'"

I suppose some may argue this, however, it seems to me that we are handed a blank canvas and we are to paint a picture, yet there is no one there to tell us what exactly to paint. There is no choice though, you must paint something.

It seems to be a shift in perspective. Sure, the nature of the canvas matters to some degree - if we are not aware of the canvas or don't accept our relationship with the canvas, our decisions on what paint to use, or something, may not be successful (perhaps our strokes completely miss the canvas!) - but the question shifts, from "why paint?" to "why are you painting this particular picture?"
    personriverflowJeffreyTheswingisyellow
  • Dakini said:

Jeffrey said:

God is the dice.
    No, God is in the rolling of the dice.

Can we compromise: God is the dice rolling?

edited June 2013
    What strikes me funny is human need to order, to conceptualized our existence when on it's face life is anything but ordered. We attempt to build a floor under us to give coherence, to make a very uncertain and random world more certain and much less random. Our floor of concepts will fall down, causing us much pain and we will again attempt to put something under our feet, this too will fail. When we begin to align ourselves with the truth that our lives our chaotic, unstructured that every moment is like another game of billiards just beginning, the cue ball striking the triangle of balls and all the randomness that comes with each strike, we can then start from the truth of what's right in front of us, and not the unreality of a god out there.
    Nek777riverflow
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    I read a book a few years ago about space science that blew my mind. It made me give up any interest I had in space because I realised there was more to learn than I could ever learn in my lifetime and I concluded "what's the point". One theory the book pointed out was that everything we know of this world, this universe, is based on what is here in this present moment in time. Time is the constant thing ever moving linearly forwards. Well what if we take our universe on this one linear timeline and instead see time in three dimensions? What if this universe exists on another timeline, a dimension that we are unable to see or feel or experience? The universe has been going for millions of years but perhaps time can travel faster or slower or be ahead of us or behind us and then everything changes. Scientists think they know how to bend time and how to travel long distances in short times by warping space. It's too much to compute but there are genuine theories out there like this and when you read about them they don't appear beyond the realms of possibility.

Perhaps these particular conditions are needed for carbon-based life forms to evolve/exist. Might not another set of "perfect" conditions have allowed some other kind of life to evolve/exist somewhere else?

That is like the current assumption that life needs oxygen and water to survive. Why can life not exist elsewhere that is dependant on other building blocks? Scientists could be looking for the wrong things in the wrong places.
    Silouanrivercanemmo