Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Gamma waves help meditation change the brain - an article from the internet

sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
edited June 2013 in Meditation
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/scienceonreligion/2012/03/gamma-waves-help-meditation-change-the-brain/

good chunk: (and it's all good)
Brain researchers Jürgen Fell, Nikolai Axmacher, and Sven Haupt, in an August 2010 paper published in Medical Hypotheses, report that a survey of meditation research suggests a quantifiable difference between meditation’s effects on beginners and its benefits for experts. Upon initiating meditation training, beginners’ electroencephalogram (EEG) readings show slowed-down alpha wave states, an effect often seen when people are increasing their attention and focus during everyday activities. Theta wave activity is also often increased, under normal circumstances a sign of drowsiness and the beginning stages of sleep. Brain wave states for novice meditators, then, seem to reflect patterns also seen during prosaic human activities like concentrating and resting.

However, EGG readings for expert meditators (those who have practiced rigorously for years or decades) show something quite different: high-frequency gamma waves, sometimes thought to play a role in assimilating perceptions, are sharply increased. This certainly distinguishes expert meditators from their novice counterparts. But perhaps the most interesting finding is that gamma wave readings are also higher even when the experts aren’t meditating. This means that something about how advanced meditators experience the world appears to be fundamentally different, both during meditation and everyday activities, from how non-meditators or beginners experience it.
May you all abide in deep peace today. Take some time throughout the day to simply sit, relax, and enter breathing. Work gradually with the body and when comfortably relaxed, retain stillness .. equipoise

peace all beings
Floating_Abumaarten

Comments

• Thank you for posting this, sova.

I like that there is scientific evidence of it. It definitely does 'something' and I am afraid it cannot always be reversed either.

Peace to you too :)
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    I am afraid it cannot always be reversed
    Maybe . . .
    Non reversal is no part of going nowhere?
  • I find this really interesting because I always thought it was theta that was closest to the meditative state.

I've had good results using binaural beats that produce a delta state but I'm going to experiment more with gamma.

I wouldn't doubt that the effects for advanced mediators carry over even when they are not meditating. It's been show that many years of meditation can produce physical changes to the brain.
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    rivercane said:

I find this really interesting because I always thought it was theta that was closest to the meditative state.

I've had good results using binaural beats that produce a delta state but I'm going to experiment more with gamma.

I wouldn't doubt that the effects for advanced mediators carry over even when they are not meditating. It's been show that many years of meditation can produce physical changes to the brain.

Yes! And, fascinatingly, it has been demonstrated that regular meditation affects the genes currently being expressed.

http://drdavidhamilton.com/?p=180
    In other words, meditation – short or long term – causes hundreds of genes to turn on or off.

In the study, blood analysis found significant changes in cellular metabolism and response to oxidative stress in the two meditation groups relative to the control group.

The scientists proposed that the Relaxation Response – whether it is induced through meditation, yoga or prayer – may counteract cellular damage due to chronic psychological stress.

People have meditated for years and enjoyed better health (and a slower aging process) but many others have been skeptical as to its benefits. Now, we have solid scientific proof of the positive genetic effects of meditation in that it affects genes that positively influence cell metabolism and the response to oxidative stress.
    personrivercane
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    lobster said:

I am afraid it cannot always be reversed
    Maybe . . .
    Non reversal is no part of going nowhere?

like untying a knot :)?
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    like untying a knot :)?
    It is hardly surprising that being involved in mind changing involves changes in the mind/body complex. It is hardly surprising that chanting changes the nature of the voice, breath and health. It is great that the nature of these changes are being studied. They are beneficial confirmations of practice.. Once we can test for the quality of compassion, the degree of awareness etc. - Wonderful. We may be able to issue 'verified Buddhist saint' certificates.

One day. :)

In the future, the pursuit of interior well being and the pursuit of external well being might become a way of integrated society. At the moment untying knots, and other string theories are no match for the solutions to life found, proven and adopted by mystics, Buddhists and those involved in 'knowing Self'

If it is possible, to go back to your quoted question to change the mind by practice, it is also possible for knots to reappear and by not dealing with them through non practice to find the original nature of the brain scans reasserts itself - with perhaps some permanent changes. Similar to how yogis or athletes will have permanently different body conditions, even in retirement. Do yogis retire . . . :wow:

These are quite complex questions, leading to others, such as the nature of 'stream entrant' etc. For now, let us rejoice. The mind/body is plastic (malleable), we can change its very nature and unravel our being . . . :clap: