Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ideas and belief in tulku'

So, what do you all think about such as these?

Comments

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    The secret is that we are all tulkus.

=]

also no scriptural evidence to back up this claim.

and tulku is a institutional label. also one must ascribe to rebirth and nirmanakaya emanations.

also people are born with different circumstances and conditions.

also we can attribute that to causality, randomness or God.

In Buddhism we affirm causality/conditionality.

And quite simply a Buddhism without a rebirth be it macro or micro becomes irrelevant.

And that's a pretty big middle finger to the materialists/nihlists in "modern" buddhist drag.
    sova
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I don't completely dismiss the idea of tulkus. Like other areas of rebirth, some of the things I've read and seen seem pretty reliable. I guess it's not a big concern for me. It's between the monks and monasteries and lineage masters and the children and their families. There was a story about a 4 year old boy from MN who has been recognized as a tulku, and will stay with his parents until he is around 10 going to normal schooling and such, and then will go to monastery. I admit that the requirements and memorizing and rituals and responsibilities seem really heavy (having a 4 year old myself) but in my very limited reading about the topic, they seem pretty up to the challenge. Maybe more children would benefit from a more rigorous religious or spiritual undertaking. Not that rigorous, of course, lol, but kid's overall are such sponges and have such an easier time connecting on that level than us overly deluded adults, that maybe it's not so bad after all.

http://www.startribune.com/local/north/135804688.html

That's the story about the boy.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    All the people I've met that have been considered tulkus had a certain ineffable quality about them. I met a young one at Kopan monastery in Nepal, he was maybe 6 or 7, the story goes when he was 4 he told his mother to take him to his monastery and he told her how to get there. In my brief interaction with him he was a very bright and happy boy and seemed very calm to me.

I guess it could be that the people who pick out tulkus are just able to see kids that are above average and then maybe giving them more attention growing up makes them excel even more. I tend to believe that they were high lamas in their past lives.

Certainly though when politics gets involved there will be corruption as well.
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    So once I read this article about this young boy who remembered his "old house" and his parents were like "what? we have only lived in this one place dude."

And the boy went on to describe all about it, he even knew the address, and some like secret hiding places and stuff.

So to entertain him, the parents looked up the address and went there, and the boy was instantly somewhere familiar and he showed them around.

There are many many stories like this that happen in India, they are becoming more common (or maybe just more openly reported) here in the West as well. I think it's very exciting that people can recall things about recent past lives vividly in day-do-day-equilibrium (that is, not going on a meditation retreat for a long time).

So it makes sense to me that if there are monastics or even lay practitioners who were able to fall into deep grooves of peace, love, and deep-awareness, there would be lots of tulkus born in the following years as a result.

@taiyaki that we are all tulkus? yes, I do believe you are correct in saying this. With everything I know in regards to the teachings, this statement makes perfect sense.

Infinite lifetimes before the current instalment, myriad relationships with myriad beings.

I think people in the current-age who are very advanced practitioners and have very large hearts will be able to be reborn [as tulkus] like children backflipping through sprinklers

what do you think, @JohnG?
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    One belief system is as good as another. I know of a guy who spoke to god in the form of a burning bush, got his autograph on some stone tablets and lived for about 900+years.
    lobster
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    A deeply corrupted political system that served a purpose in Tibet , but that is now discredited.
    Cinorjer
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    It also can be viewed as selecting "gifted" children and giving them the title of tulku and this and that reincarnation. Hence the teachings and schools can go on, spread, etc.

So it may not even have any real basis, other than spreading the dharma.

We don't really know though.
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    I have heard the stories of those children who have detailed places and events that they were way too young to know; but, then how many of us had some de ja vue? The child who recounted his death as a fighter pilot over Europe during W. W. II. Or the night mares of people who seen themselves at Auschwitz, are abundant. Even I have, from time to time dreams of people, and events (some very ugly) of places and people I don't know.

That's what attracted me to this topic; and my obsession with re-birth, and the worship of Green Tara. But, why are the Tulku limited to only Lama's, and abbots who stay out of human life? Shouldn't they be in with the people guiding them?
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    I completely dismiss the idea of no tulkus.
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    I cannot accept the rules that their rebirth is limited to only llama's and destined high priests. How could one accept rebirth to help sentient beings to higher qualities and not be part of the people?
    JohnG

Not all tulkus become lamas.

Or are you referring to only high lamas being reborn as tulkus? If so, the idea of a tulku is that someone is able to choose and direct their next rebirth and only someone developed spiritually is able to do that.
    JohnGJeffrey
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2013
    JohnG said:

I cannot accept the rules that their rebirth is limited to only llama's and destined high priests. How could one accept rebirth to help sentient beings to higher qualities and not be part of the people?

You needn't worry, neither Llamas or high priests are to be found in Tibet.

personBonsaiDoug
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    sometimes they don't let people know they are tulkus in order to let them practice in peace
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited June 2013
    taiyaki said:

The secret is that we are all tulkus.

=]

also no scriptural evidence to back up this claim.

and tulku is a institutional label. also one must ascribe to rebirth and nirmanakaya emanations.

also people are born with different circumstances and conditions.

also we can attribute that to causality, randomness or God.

In Buddhism we affirm causality/conditionality.

And quite simply a Buddhism without a rebirth be it macro or micro becomes irrelevant.

And that's a pretty big middle finger to the materialists/nihlists in "modern" buddhist drag.

Yes, that's a pretty big finger. What's that I smell on it?

Perhaps you should have washed it the last time you used the toilet.

• JohnGJohnG Veteran
    Guy's, can we keep it to topic. I don't want Frederica jumping out from her super secret hiding place and nucking us into oblivion.

She's everywhere, EVERYWHERE!!! :hair:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2013
    *waves*

WEG.

I concur.

Stick to topic.
    Or be chastised.

Enough said, I hope.

And that's "FEderica"....)
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    edited June 2013
    And that's "FEderica"....)

:coffee: See! told ya so.
    person
  • Hi Federica!

To be OT, I don't give a lot of thought to the tulku thing, since that's part of the Tibetan Buddhist practice. The only time it bothers me is when once again an article about Steven Seagal and his life latest exploits just has to mention that some Lama declared him a tulku.
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    Segal's naming has not gone without suspicion. A lot of people suspect the buy. As for me, I don't really follow him since the way he left LeBroch, and his first wife was not a good parting for a Buddhist.

But, I would accept that many walk among, at least I hope, walk among the world without notice.
    sova
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    JohnG said:

So, what do you all think about such as these?

This never arises in my practise. The only place this arises for Zennists is as a conversational rebutal to the denial of reincarnation.

Personally , I do not yet understand why ones directed rebirth is actually anymore Mahayana than just allowing rebirth to take it's own natural course.
    That is unless the hanging on to some aspect of ones identity is really Mahayana, in which case this zafu pilot will be flying on Theravadin side of the path..

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @Cijorner, why would it be impossible for a wealthy celebrity to also be a tulku? I can understand the suspicion of the money trail, but I see no reason why it would be impossible for a tulku celebrity? It's not a claim of spiritual accomplishment even. I've read Segal talk on this and he seems pretty serious about it. His teacher told him to try to create bodhicitta in this lifetime. He is seen in many photographs with sanghamates and in robes.

So I can see suspicion of money, but that's just suspicion. Were you saying a celebrity cannot be a tulku?
    When I watched "Unmistaken Child" one of my thoughts was that is seems like quite an attachment that as soon as a teacher dies, to go looking for their reincarnation. It doesn't seem like much of a process of letting go and accepting illness and death if they are hardly waiting to find him reborn again. If it actually happens as in the movie, where they go looking for them of course. I have no idea. I find it an interesting process. Though, for example, in the movie they take the sign that the child (who was I think 2? at the time) won't give up the mala. Well, no 2 year old wants to give up any toy they just discovered. Try taking a phone or a set of keys from a 2 year old and it's the same reaction, lol. But the other things I find interesting, the notion that a small child can repeatedly chose items that belonged to someone else if they hadn't been that someone else.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Tulkus are a Mahayana concept.
    Reincarnation is, also.
    Other schools do not subscribe to these concepts, but it's ok for them to do so, if the concept is considered wisely, and not commercially, if you like.

I seem to remember HH the DL mentioning once (maybe even humorously?) that perhaps Richard Gere is a tulku, and RG's response was that he was just doing his best and not attaching any importance or significance to that.

I think that's a good way of taking these things on board.
    JohnG
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    For those outside the Vajrayana tradition the Tulku idea might seem reassuring and even romantic. Within that tradition a good deal of debate and reformation is going on.
    Caused in large part by the large numbers of young ' Tulkus ' who are reaching young adulthood and wanting nothing to do with Tulkudom..or even in some cases with Buddhism.
    The growing list of such as these makes depressing reading.
    The fact is the system was kept going by being in an enclosed culture where great privilege for the child and the family ensued.
    Since the Tibetan diaspora conditions have changed greatly, and the young 'Tulku' very often feels trapped in a life he did not choose...and kicks over the traces. Often disappearing , and reappearing years later when confident of asserting his own will.
    There have been 20 or 30 such cases among high profile ' Tulkus' in the last 20 years or so.
    The best known being the supposed Tulku of Lama Yeshe, Osel..who was born of Spanish parents
    but there are many many others.
    federicaCinorjerJeffreyperson
  • Jeffrey said:

@Cijorner, why would it be impossible for a wealthy celebrity to also be a tulku? I can understand the suspicion of the money trail, but I see no reason why it would be impossible for a tulku celebrity? It's not a claim of spiritual accomplishment even. I've read Segal talk on this and he seems pretty serious about it. His teacher told him to try to create bodhicitta in this lifetime. He is seen in many photographs with sanghamates and in robes.

So I can see suspicion of money, but that's just suspicion. Were you saying a celebrity cannot be a tulku?

As I said, the tulku belief is from a different branch of Buddhism than mine, so I usually don't put much thought into it. It's not Steven Seagal being rich or famous that bothers me, it's the fact that he's spent the past years doing things like staring in a "reality show" where the cameras have him helping a hick white southern sheriff arrest mostly minority poor people for things like drug charges. Now he's graduated to actually helping the authoritarian Russian President Putin get a weapon manufacturing business up and running in his country, among other things. And almost always, the news article includes the tasty detail that "Buddhist leaders have declared Seagal to be a reincarnated tulku". Quite frankly, this in particular and the tulku business in general gives Buddhism a bad image for a lot of people.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2013/jun/05/steven-seagal-russia-arms-firm
    federicaJeffrey
  • Cinorjer said:

It's not Steven Seagal being rich or famous that bothers me, it's the fact that he's spent the past years doing things like staring in a "reality show" where the cameras have him helping a hick white southern sheriff arrest mostly minority poor people for things like drug charges. Now he's graduated to actually helping the authoritarian Russian President Putin get a weapon manufacturing business up and running in his country, among other things.

Thank you, that show bothers me to no end and it's what caused me to lose all respect for him. The show is racist and I hate how he brags about using his years of martial arts training and Zen-like awareness to do things like spot a group of young men selling crack on a street corner. Something any other cop could do.

Then there's the crappy guitar playing at places like House of Blues. Ever see how he will lead a Christian prayer before going on stage, imploring Jesus to give them the power to entertain and perform? It's like, which is it? Or you Buddhist or not? That, along with all the womanizing convinced me that the show is one big monument to his ego.

Maybe I'm being too hard on the guy but I felt like I needed to get that off my chest.

:cool:
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Cinorjer said:

Jeffrey said:

As I said, the tulku belief is from a different branch of Buddhism than mine, so I usually don't put much thought into it. It's not Steven Seagal being rich or famous that bothers me, it's the fact that he's spent the past years doing things like staring in a "reality show" where the cameras have him helping a hick white southern sheriff arrest mostly minority poor people for things like drug charges. Now he's graduated to actually helping the authoritarian Russian President Putin get a weapon manufacturing business up and running in his country, among other things. And almost always, the news article includes the tasty detail that "Buddhist leaders have declared Seagal to be a reincarnated tulku". Quite frankly, this in particular and the tulku business in general gives Buddhism a bad image for a lot of people.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2013/jun/05/steven-seagal-russia-arms-firm
    I dont think you need worry too much..although I agree that a whiff of corruption hangs round much of the whole 'tulku ' business...
    But lets put that into perspective, for the vast majority of those who have an interest in Buddhadharma the issue of tulkus does not arise at all..apart from on the pages of websites...
    That is true even for the Vajrayana...and why it should concern anyone else outside that path is not clear to me..
    .And in case there is doubt there is a simple and invariable way to test whether one is on a Vajrayana path, in contrast to simply taking an interest in the Vajrayana. It is this.
    Are you bound by oaths to an ongoing relationship to a recognised Vajra-Holder who has accepted you as a student ? Do you accept that breaking those vows will have a catastrophic effect for you ? Are you prepared to follow theteachings of the Guru even when they contradict your existing ideas ?
    If the answer is yes to all those questions then you are a Vajrayana student.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2013
    rivercane said:

Cinorjer said:

It's not Steven Seagal being rich or famous that bothers me, it's the fact that he's spent the past years doing things like staring in a "reality show" where the cameras have him helping a hick white southern sheriff arrest mostly minority poor people for things like drug charges. Now he's graduated to actually helping the authoritarian Russian President Putin get a weapon manufacturing business up and running in his country, among other things.

Thank you, that show bothers me to no end and it's what caused me to lose all respect for him. The show is racist and I hate how he brags about using his years of martial arts training and Zen-like awareness to do things like spot a group of young men selling crack on a street corner. Something any other cop could do.

Then there's the crappy guitar playing at places like House of Blues. Ever see how he will lead a Christian prayer before going on stage, imploring Jesus to give them the power to entertain and perform? It's like, which is it? Or you Buddhist or not? That, along with all the womanizing convinced me that the show is one big monument to his ego.

Maybe I'm being too hard on the guy but I felt like I needed to get that off my chest.

:cool:
    rivercane I know NO school of Buddhism that requires you to stop using your intelligence and discrimination. Quite the reverse. You have nothing to apologise for.
    Buddhadharma is not a whoo-whoo freakoid bunch of illogic for old whacked-out hippies and bloated celebs.
    We are required to use our intellects and to discriminate finely.
    We certainly don't need to suffer nonsense in silence in order to appear non judgemental.
    Seagal IS an embarressment.
    rivercaneJohnG
    I have problems accepting Segal as a tulku or lama of any sort. Maybe a llama...
    Anyone who suggests arming people to patrol schools, visits terrorists and travels with Michelle Bachmann, I'd doubt the truth of their higher rebirth. Now, I can accept he's a Buddhist. But a tulku or lama? He seems pretty far removed from some very important Buddhist practices to be placed so highly.
    Yeah. I have a sneaking suspicion that the lama who opined he is a tulku wishes he could take his words back....."Uh....mebbe I make big mistake. BIG. H-U-G-E..."
    JohnG
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    karasti said:

I have problems accepting Segal as a tulku or lama of any sort. Maybe a llama...
    Anyone who suggests arming people to patrol schools, visits terrorists and travels with Michelle Bachmann, I'd doubt the truth of their higher rebirth. Now, I can accept he's a Buddhist. But a tulku or lama? He seems pretty far removed from some very important Buddhist practices to be placed so highly.

Even worse than all that , he DYES HIS BEARD !.....the sure sign of a cad...
    @JohnG, has your initial enquiry been answered?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Well if he (segal) IS a tulku I guess it shows how in a new birth you can still screw up.
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    Yes, Federica, all present question have been answered. :om:
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    The tulku system is starting to fall apart, and is coming under review. Dzongsar Khentse Rinpoche, the Bhutanese lama (and tulku) who has made a couple of successful Buddhist films, says in the film, "Tulku", by Gesar Mukpo, that "If Tibetans aren't careful, the Tulku system will be the downfall of Buddhism". More young tulkus are abandoning their tulku status, while others aren't keeping to the monastic discipline and are coming under criticism for that. And the number of tulkus seems to be proliferating.

Some analysts say that the tulku system evolved as a way to keep monastic wealth in the family. For example, in the Kagyu tradition, it's often the nephew of an abbot who's chosen as the abbot's tulku. Young Kalu Rinpoche is the nephew of the original Kalu Rinpoche's nephew. In the Sakya tradition, which allows monks to marry, the tulkus usually are the children of high lamas. The current Dalai Lama is from a family that lived in a part of Eastern Tibet that China had taken (Qinghai Province), so some speculate that the leaders in Lhasa wanted to make a political statement and keep that part of (former) Tibet tied to Tibet proper, with the DL's appointment.
    CittaCinorjerSillyPutty
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    In this film, Gesar Mukpo explores what it means to be a tulku among tulkus born in the West, like himself.

JohnG
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Dakini said:

The tulku system is starting to fall apart, and is coming under review. Dzongsar Khentse Rinpoche, the Bhutanese lama (and tulku) who has made a couple of successful Buddhist films, says in the film, "Tulku", by Gesar Mukpo, that "If Tibetans aren't careful, the Tulku system will be the downfall of Buddhism". More young tulkus are abandoning their tulku status, while others aren't keeping to the monastic discipline and are coming under criticism for that. And the number of tulkus seems to be proliferating.

Some analysts say that the tulku system evolved as a way to keep monastic wealth in the family. For example, in the Kagyu tradition, it's often the nephew of an abbot who's chosen as the abbot's tulku. Young Kalu Rinpoche is the nephew of the original Kalu Rinpoche's nephew. In the Sakya tradition, which allows monks to marry, the tulkus usually are the children of high lamas. The current Dalai Lama is from a family that lived in a part of Eastern Tibet that China had taken (Qinghai Province), so some speculate that the leaders in Lhasa wanted to make a political statement and keep that part of (former) Tibet tied to Tibet proper, with the DL's appointment.

Spot on...as I mentioned above another case in question is the young Spanish man Osel Hita whose ' recognition as a Tulku ' ( his parents were followers of the famous Lama Yeshe whose Tulku the boy was purported to be ) became a world wide phenomenon due to a book by Vicky McKenzie..
    Last I heard he was describing himself as an agnostic and studying cinamatography..
    May he find peace.
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    Citta said:

another case in question is the young Spanish man Osel Hita whose ' recognition as a Tulku ' ( his parents were followers of the famous Lama Yeshe whose Tulku the boy was purported to be ) became a world wide phenomenon due to a book by Vicky McKenzie..
    Last I heard he was describing himself as an agnostic and studying cinamatography..
    May he find peace.

That doesn't mean he isn't a Tulku. It means he wants to lead a life apart from the monastic one he had been thrust into. It's all karma .....

• CittaCitta Veteran
    He says he isn't a Tulku..of course you might know better than he does what he is.
    The whole story is interesting and illuminating.
    His Buddhist parents are apparently the Buddhist counterparts of those tennis mums and dads who dominate their offspring's lives and live through them by proxy... the kids have no chance of a normal life in order to meet the parents ambition..
    The teacher died and the parents seemed absolutely determined that their infant son would be recognised as the 'tulku' and pushed and pushed...
    It all came to grief. The son eventually left the robe and rejected the parents..who then divorced.
    He is now attempting to make a go of the life HE chooses.
  • Chaz said:

Citta said:

another case in question is the young Spanish man Osel Hita whose ' recognition as a Tulku ' ( his parents were followers of the famous Lama Yeshe whose Tulku the boy was purported to be ) became a world wide phenomenon due to a book by Vicky McKenzie..
    May he find peace.

That doesn't mean he isn't a Tulku. It means he wants to lead a life apart from the monastic one he had been thrust into. It's all karma .....

But then you're saying that tulkus are nothing special, aren't you? But doesn't that also say, all that effort the previous incarnations put into being enlightened means nothing? Your next incarnation could decide to blow all that good karma on broads and booze. So why even bother to search out and identify the reincarnation? Why not just leave the poor Bodhisattva alone to live out whatever life he chooses?

I think the tulku system was necessary for the "Priest King" theocracy in Tibet, since the monks needed some way to transfer power from one generation to the next without always ending up in open civil war between Temple factions. Even the Vatican went through quite a few civil wars fighting over which powerful Bishop would be the next Pope, until they settled on a secret election and the position became mostly symbolic so wasn't worth killing over. I suppose what remains to be seen is, will the system of finding children and raising little Buddha copies to rule the land survive now that it's no longer needed.
    Citta
  • Cinorjer said:

I suppose what remains to be seen is, will the system of finding children and raising little Buddha copies to rule the land survive now that it's no longer needed.

I agree. The Dalai Lama has long said that the process of choosing the next Dalai Lama should be democratic, just like he would do away with a lot of the ceremony and ritual.

You're right, it'll be interesting to see what will happen, esp. with some of the other traditions.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @Cinorjer, the tulku needs training to cultivate the conditional powers of a former life. By conditional powers I mean things like scholarship, meditation, cultivating aspirational bodhicitta, and cultivating action bodhicitta.

There may not be a point to a tulku in those cases where they haven't received training. But there are probably potential mozarts who end up not discovering their perfect pitch. Or they never train hard and just learn to play the fiddle. So in that case the person could be in an orchestra, but never trained much.

Does that make any sense? I am not trying to be argumentative I just didn't understand your point that it was a waste as if a God is organizing the tulkus to make sure there is no waste.

A tulku is something I keep an open mind about but that is not a question I am exploring in my practice.. I imagine the Tibetan Book of the Dead might be some ground work in understanding.
    Cinorjer
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    One of the issues I see here, isn't the idea of recognition, and selection, but in the past the necessity of the continuation of the lineage, as well as the 'teaching's was more important then today. Remember today we got more way's to store information, and communication then way back when it took a monk maybe a few years to travel from one monastery to the other, especially when the faith expanded to what was then around the world.

So, maybe the Tulku system is coming apart as needed, since the practice of rebirth is not necessarily the unbroken teachings, but as a means to interact on a more personal level to assist sentient beings?
    Cinorjer
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited June 2013
    The book, "Tibet Is My Country", by the Dalai Lama's older brother, provides some insight into the experience of a tulku. Three of the DL's brothers were identified as tulkus, and went to the monastery in the region of eastern Tibet/Western China, where they lived. Their parents kept them home until they were 9 years old, believing that sending them at a younger age was not appropriate. The eldest never got over his homesickness. His father would come visit regularly, bringing treats baked by the mother, and sometimes the mother and younger children would visit. It's clear from his writing that he felt no special affinity for the teachings or the way of life. It was more like a career choice his parents (and others) had made for him, and as such, it wasn't a bad gig, because he came into quite a bit of money, which he remarks on.

When the DL is identified, and the family departs to relocate to Lhasa, the oldest brother can't stand being apart from them, and abandons his post, over the protests of the abbot and other high monks. He uses "his" (the monastery's money, technically belonging to his predecessor) money to finance a large caravan that takes many months to reach Lhasa. He takes rifles to shoot game with, to provide meat on the way, in addition to sacks of barley flour and other provisions. He has no qualms about hiring marksmen to shoot game for the caravan.

In Lhasa he sets himself up in the monastic affiliate of his monastery back home, but lives next door to his parents. But after a couple of years he decides to go on a "pilgrimage" to India, on a whim. He doesn't write of visiting any sacred sites, only of the modern conveniences he observes in India. He flies to southern China, where he meets Chiang Kai Shek, and has other adventures. By this time Mao's forces are preparing to take control of his old monastery and community.

In the end, he makes a contact with Westerners who hook him up with jobs in New York, with the Natural History Museum, then with the Tibetan/Asian Studies department at U of Indiana. He spends a year teaching in Seattle, where he meets a Tibetan teenager, and marries her (she's 16, he's early 40's). He settles down in Bloomington, Indiana, having long forgotten his tulku gig, to live a happy life of an ordinary householder.

It's clear from his writing that he has no attachment to the spiritual or monastic life, he's just fulfilling his parents' wishes for him. He never adjusts to being separated from his parents through his childhood and teen years. We see how painful that is for him. He sacrifices a potentially bright future for himself as abbot of his monastery to be with his family in Lhasa.

Young Kalu Rinpoche has said in media interviews and in his own youtube video that he's not anyone special, he's just like everyone else. Gomo tulku, who has become a rapper and recording artist, has written plaintively of the pain of being a child taken from his family and placed on a throne in a far-away country. He says when he discovered rap, he found himself again. Both Kalu R. and Gomo tulku have given back their robes to lead secular lives, though Kalu Rinpoche still gives teachings, and hopes to establish charity schools for poor children, so they don't have to be given away to monasteries.

This younger generation may bring about positive change in this institutional system. Only time will tell.
    MaryAnne
    Dakini said:

In this film, Gesar Mukpo explores what it means to be a tulku among tulkus born in the West, like himself.

You can download the film here for $5 or $10 for HD. http://www.nfb.ca/film/tulku/download/

The one thing I found lacking in the film is that he didn't include his brother Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche. A tulku also born in the west but unlike the others in the video he has embraced the tulku's more traditional role and gone through monastic training and now is head of his father's Shambala organization.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited June 2013
    He also left out the Spanish tulku. He said he felt that one had had enough media coverage. And I'm not sure, but I think he and Sakyong Mipham R. are estranged. I thought he covered some pretty interesting characters, some good guys. People who are soul-searching, like he is.
    JohnG said:

...So, maybe the Tulku system is coming apart as needed, since the practice of rebirth is not necessarily the unbroken teachings, but as a means to interact on a more personal level to assist sentient beings?

The term 'impermanence' springs to mind..... Everything has a beginning, a middle and an end.
    So who knows....?
    All compounded phenomena are impermanent.

So perhaps this concept has run its course.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I don't like a lot of things where people are elevating on wounded limbs. I hated Borat. I have a sense of humor but not when it comes down to wrong speech. That's just me and my funny ways. I of course don't mind it is posted I am just giving a reaction. It's not against you SillyPutty, I had missed you recently. It is just my pet peeve.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Also he said HHDL made Segal a 'god' which is a bad translation of tulku. So it's misinformation on top of unharmonious and egoistic raising on wounded limbs.

It doesn't do Buddhism a favor to say HHDL made someone a God, when the accurate truth says HHDL is just a simple monk as he says.
    person
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Jeffrey said:

I don't like a lot of things where people are elevating on wounded limbs. I hated Borat. I have a sense of humor but not when it comes down to wrong speech. That's just me and my funny ways. I of course don't mind it is posted I am just giving a reaction. It's not against you SillyPutty, I had missed you recently. It is just my pet peeve.

Understood.

And I know it was a "gossip-y" clip, but I posted it more for the humor (if you see I responded to Citta's funny post about Seagal dying his beard). The guy telling the story is comedian Rob Schneider. He's known for his stories and impersonations (he's an SNL alum). I'm sure he's indulging. Actually, I know he is-- just listen to the "facts" he lists... HHDL wasn't even the one to recognize him as a tulku. So, there ya go.

And in all honesty? I've always thought Howard Stern might be an undiscovered tulku or lama or whatnot. He is brilliant at satire. He exposes a lot of hypocrisy in the world. But I'll stop there b/c it's going off topic. Plus I don't like to post here much anymore anyway... but once in awhile I pop in for shits and giggles. :)
    Jeffreyrobot
This discussion has been closed.