Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Chants for tiredness

edited June 2013 in Diet & Habits
I would like to find some chants to help with tiredness. Sometimes, despite being well rested, I feel tired, and I think this is quite a mental thing and that it would be posible to overcome this lethargy with the correct mental state.

So I though, there might be some buddhist chants for this sort of thing. Do you know of any?

Thanks a lot
Starrlabee

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    ohm ma nay pemay hum
    oh ma nay pemay hum
    oh ma nay pemay hum

Find a youtube to get the rhythm and notes

(arousing bodhicitta)
    May the heart's awareness
    waken in the unawakened
    Where it has begun to stir
    May it awaken fully

(refuge)
    lama la chapsu chey o
    Sanjay la chapsu chey o
    cho la chapsu chey o
    gendun la chapsu chey o

in english

I go to refuge to the guru
    I go to refuge to the buddha
    I go to refuge to the dharma
    I go to refuge to the sangha

(another refuge)

I go to refuge to all the buddhas until all sentient beings realize buddhahood
    x3
    DaltheJigsaw
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

I do not know the cause of your lethargy!

But..

My lethargy, like many others I've met, has always ended up being something I was unable to fully face. My route through it has always depended on my eventual willingness to surrender to, accept or address something I was avoiding looking at.

One of the more dramatic examples of this was a fellow meditator who had terminal dropsy when attempting to meditate. Every minute he would doze off and catch himself at the last moment as gravity took hold of him in one direction or another.

I marvelled at his years of perseverance at what was obviously a difficult practise.

One day it just stopped.

He told me that his job as a fisheries scientist was to cut open the stomachs of live caught fish to examine their contents. Somewhere he thought this was wrong for him but had been unwilling to look at this for the job consequences that would unfold if he stopped.

Long story short... he stopped doing it & never dozed again in a meditation that I witnessed.

Lucy_BegoodDaltheJigsawForuilive
  • Jeffrey, do you know anywhere I can find out more about this chant? Do you know why it is supposed to help with tirredness?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    All chants help with tiredness because the meaning enhances the flow of energy, heart energy.

You can sign on with Buddhism Connect of the awakened heart sangha of lama shenpen hookham. She talks about all kinds of things, but not usually chanting.
  • Not a chant, but a talk on Generating Energy.
  • Fivebells, just listened to the talk, very interesting
  • It had been a while since I heard chants like this.
    But immediately I can feel a bit of peacefulness and relief that other music hasn't been able to bring me lately.

Lucy_BegoodJeffreyDaltheJigsaw
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Om Vajrapani Hum

That will give you a great bolt of energy. :wow:
    amsbam1TheEccentric
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Zaaaaaaaap! :D
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Here's the bodhicitta chant (may the heart's awareness... etc) in tibetan. It sounds better to me than the english because I have chanted it so much,

(all my foreign language shants are phonetically rather than correct)

chang chub sem nee rinpo shay
    ma jay panom chay jur chig
    chaypa nyampa maypa tong
    gongnay gongdo pelwa sho
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    amsbam1 said:

I would like to find some chants to help with tiredness. Sometimes, despite being well rested, I feel tired, and I think this is quite a mental thing and that it would be posible to overcome this lethargy with the correct mental state.

So I though, there might be some buddhist chants for this sort of thing. Do you know of any?

Thanks a lot

I haven't heard of chants to overcome tiredness. In fact, I do think if you spend too much time chanting, it would get you tired, if not physically, then, you'll just get tired of the chants. If you have slept well, could it then have to do with things you eat or perhaps, you have in your mind that you are tired and need some chants to perk up. Afterall, as you say, this is a mental thing.
  • Hi footiam, what type of chants would you recommend for perking up?