Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who is your spiritual idol ?

PremaSagarPremaSagar Veteran
edited June 2013 in Buddhism Today
I have Shunryu Suzuki's biography titled "Crooked Cucumber" which I must read over again. I applaud his efforts in trying to bring authentic Soto Zen Buddhism to America. Not sure if I'd call him my idol though...According to what I've seen so far Tassajara Zen Mountain Center which was founded by him is the first Zen monastery outside of Asia. One of these days I might have to go over there on a retreat someday. If I still aspire to become ordained in a few years perhaps Tassajara Zen Mountain Center is where I'll go.

Comments

• I've always liked the story of Bodhidharma. Does it get any more awesome than this guy? :om:
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I'm not sure if I really have an idol, mostly because then I find myself putting them on a pedestal and it's that much harder to accept that they are still people who make mistakes and then too easy to accept what they say as truth or fact without investigating for myself.
    David
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited June 2013
    I wouldn't call them "idols", there are a few figures whom have shaped my beliefs into what they are:

Buddha, Ganesha, Christ, Rumi, Lao Tzu, Krishna, Shiva, The Bhagavad Gita (that counts, right ;) ) and various philosophers; both ancient and modern.
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Not sure if they are my idols or not either but the teachers who I probably revere the most are Atisha,Milarepa, Je Tsongkhapa and Geshe Kelsang Gyatso.
    cazAkane
  • A few important "spiritual" figures for me that I return to again and again:

Thich Nhat Hanh
    Sheng Yen
    Carl Sagan (yes, "spiritual")
    Henry David Thoreau
    Dogen
    Seneca
    Lucy_BegoodDavid
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Brian Griffin.
    KundoLucy_BegoodDavid
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Garab Dorje.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    My teacher, Lama Shenpen.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Spiritual figures that are of importance to me:
    Ajahn Chah
    Shunryu Suzuki
    Ajahn Brahm
    Laozi
    Thomas Merton
    St Francis of Assisi
    riverflowkarmabluesSillyPutty
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Siddhartha Gautama and all his genuine predecessors and successors. Who all his predecessors and successors are, I don't really know, but them even I don't know them. :)
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Namaste,

I wouldn't call them "Idols" either. But people I admire:

HHDL
    Thich Nhat Hanh
    Lama Surya Das (who's books really got me "into" Buddhism)

In metta,
    Raven
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Anyone manifesting selflessness.
    riverflowlobsterInvincible_summer
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I am my spiritual, idle...

;)

Olli the Octopus, my idol, mentor and most delicious meal item, once said to me before his cooking:
    "Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into."
  • Geshe Kelsang Gyatso.

I second Geshe Kelsang Gyatso. His book Transform Your Life is what started me on the path.

For the past few months I've been studying his Joyful Path of Good Fortune and want to read more of his work.

caz
  • Khandro rinpoche, ani difranco, chenrezig and vajrasattva :) oh and I also like sister helen prejean.
    riverflowlobster
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Whatever or whoever are awakened. I wouldn't call them idols either though.

Idols are generally put out of reach.
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    rivercane said:

Geshe Kelsang Gyatso.

I second Geshe Kelsang Gyatso. His book Transform Your Life is what started me on the path.

For the past few months I've been studying his Joyful Path of Good Fortune and want to read more of his work.

I am curreny on Joyful Path Of Good Fortune and have finished some of his over works before , I will probably read Transform your life or Eight steps to happiness after.

He really was the teacher who got me settled as a Buddhist.
    rivercane
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    I have to add - I LOVE Robina Coutin. She tells it how it is, no BS.

In metta.
    Raven
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    I Love that guy who sat under a tree . . . what's his name . . . Not Newton . . . the other one . . .
    He did not sit under a lotus tree . . .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_tree

. . . Goat Aroma who sat under the B.O. tree?
    . . . no not him . . .
    . . . it will come to me . . .

BUDDHA

. . . now that's an Idol . . .

Kundo
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Most Definitely Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, His direct students whom have taken care of me and encouraged me with Dharma practice are as much a jewel as he is.
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Ajahn Brahm practices what he preaches. I respect him and admire his ability to show great love and compassion for all sentient beings. He's one of those people that just exude such positive, loving energy without being a (for lack of a better term) pushover. He has shown me that it is possible to become a compassionate loving person in such a crazy world.

lobsterInvincible_summerMaryAnne
  • lobster said:

I Love that guy who sat under a tree . . . what's his name . . . Not Newton . . . the other one . . .
    He did not sit under a lotus tree . . .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_tree

. . . Goat Aroma who sat under the B.O. tree?
    . . . no not him . . .
    . . . it will come to me . . .

BUDDHA

. . . now that's an Idol . . .

Lol @ lotus tree! That's a new one for me, although I have to admit that I was surprised to learn that the Bodhi tree was a type of Ficus. All this time I thought Bodhi was a kind of tree!

The Buddha? Yea, I guess he was pretty cool. ;)

If I may add another name to the list we are building...

Ramana Maharshi. (Link)
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Ramana's main means of instruction of his devotees was through silence
    Sri Ramana used words sparingly and gave his most profound instruction in silence.

Yes a worthy idol. If you listen carefully you can still hear his teaching . . . :wave:
    zenffKundo
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    MLK
    Gandhi
    Jesus
    Dalai Lama
    Steven Seagal
    Invincible_summerperson
  • footiamfootiam Veteran

I have Shunryu Suzuki's biography titled "Crooked Cucumber" which I must read over again. I applaud his efforts in trying to bring authentic Soto Zen Buddhism to America. Not sure if I'd call him my idol though...According to what I've seen so far Tassajara Zen Mountain Center which was founded by him is the first Zen monastery outside of Asia. One of these days I might have to go over there on a retreat someday. If I still aspire to become ordained in a few years perhaps Tassajara Zen Mountain Center is where I'll go.

Michael Jackson. A spiritual idol needs not to be spiritual himself, does he? Good enough, he makes you think spiritually.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Let us dream of tomorrow where we can truly love from the soul, and know love as the ultimate truth at the heart of all creation.
    Michael Jackson

. . . sounds good to me . . .
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    You are my spiritual idol ... I just can't seem to break the habit.
  • The spiritual idol is no idol at all but the soul of buddha which is the soul of you and me and everybody is this not true?
  • Are we not all buddha's in reality. And only ego's in illusion?
  • There’s a one-eyed yellow idol to the north of Kathmandu,
    There’s a little marble cross below the town;
    There’s a broken-hearted woman tends the grave of Mad Carew,
    And the Yellow God forever gazes down.
    Citta
  • As others have said, perhaps the word "idol" is not suited in my case either, but I would say...Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, Atisha, Shantideva, Milarepa, King Ashoka, Geshe Potowa, gee! I could list so many I guess.

caz
  • CittaCitta Veteran

The spiritual idol is no idol at all but the soul of buddha which is the soul of you and me and everybody is this not true?

No.
  • Ram dass
    Swami vivekanda
    thich nhat hanh
    seung sahn
    ramakrisnha
    Socrates
    all truth seekers
  • oh and bill hicks
    Beej
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Citta said:

The spiritual idol is no idol at all but the soul of buddha which is the soul of you and me and everybody is this not true?

No.
    No that is not not true? Or yes, it is not true? Silly souls.

My heroes are the superman archetype in most of its forms. I think Kermit might be my favorite. We're surrounded by teachers, though, might as well open to them all and learn what we can! :)
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited June 2013
    I have not yet met my idol, but i'm sure whatever aspect of this potential person that i might admire is already also somewhere within me. If not, this whole "spiritual" venture would be pointless, no? When I look to you, aren't I really attempting to look at myself? Until a human idol presents itself, however, I will look to the butterfly. :)
    Vastmind
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Citta said:

No.
    Define souls.
  • I met mine, she was awesome but she ignored me so I left and found my path
    John_Spencer
  • Who inspire me and/or whom I would emulate:

Krishna, Jesus, Buddha, Ganesha, Saraswati, Hanuman, Shiva, Paramahansa Yogananda, Avalokiteshvara. I could probably think of a dozen others.
    TheEccentricvinlyn
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    Detective Charlie Crews from the television show Life (played by Damian Lewis)!