Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sayings

Comments

• CheChe Veteran
    "Good means not merely not to do wrong, but rather not to desire to do wrong"
    Democritus
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • CheChe Veteran
    "Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealt you represents determinism; the way you play it is free will."
    Jawaharal Nehru
    riverflowVastmind
  • "I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude."

Henry David Thoreau, Walden
    riverflowChemisterCope
  • CheChe Veteran
    "I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity".
    Albert Einstein
    rivercane
  • CheChe Veteran
    "A mistake is to commit a misunderstanding"
    Bob Dylan
    riverflow
  • “All actual life is encounter.”
    ~ Martin Buber, I and Thou

(I recently ordered this book -- I'm looking forward to reading it again!)
    Invincible_summer
  • CheChe Veteran
    "You exist in time, but you belong to eternity"
    Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh
    riverflow
  • CheChe Veteran

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

• “To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations—such is a pleasure beyond compare.”

Kenko Yoshida, author and Buddhist monk
    CheInvincible_summer
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    'About a month before he died we covered my grandfathers back with lard.
    After that he went downhill very quickly.'

Milton Jones.
    Invincible_summerChemisterCope
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2013
    'If you are being chased by a police dog try not to jump through a hoop of fire, then through a tunnel. Then onto a little seesaw. They are trained for that !'

Milton Jones.
    Invincible_summermisecmisc1poulet
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I went to a karaoke evening the other day. All they had was 70's music.
    At first I was afraid. Oh I was petrified.

Stewart Francis
    Chemisecmisc1
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    ' When I was young my parents used to tell me that they had to make a lot of sacrifices to pay for my education. Which was true. They were druids.'

Milton Jones.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    ' I hate sitting in traffic don't you ? I always get run over '

Milton Jones.
    riverflow
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    ' I used to be in a band called Missing Cat...you probably saw our posters...'

Stewart Francis
    Jeffrey
  • CheChe Veteran
    "Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
    Martin Luther King Jr.
    riverflowmmo
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Today's subliminal thought is..........
  • CheChe Veteran
    "Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong"
    Dandemis
    riverflowInvincible_summermmo
  • CheChe Veteran
    "Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy"
    Thich Nhat Hanh
    riverflowStraight_ManInvincible_summerVastmind
  • CheChe Veteran
    "Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold"
    Leo Tolstoy
    Invincible_summer
  • CheChe Veteran

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”
    Mark Twain
    Invincible_summer
  • CheChe Veteran
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion"
    Dalai Lama
    misterCope
  • CheChe Veteran
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret"
    Ambrose Bierce
    Invincible_summer
  • CheChe Veteran
    “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    A sense would not be a sense if it were not fleeting.
    ~me
    CheInvincible_summer
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    Che said:

“Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

- But do not try this on a narrow road circling the mountain valley, otherwise no trail will be left :-/
  • CheChe Veteran
    "I don't wanna pickle"
    Arlo Guthrie
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    ' That jerk dog from our patio door somehow got inside a hubcap '.

Brian Griffin.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2013
    ' If they don't want dogs to eat dental floss out of the trash why did they make it mint flavoured ?'
    Brian Griffin.
  • CheChe Veteran
    "Count not what is lost, but what is left"
    Chinese saying
    riverflowmisecmisc1
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    "It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching." -- St. Francis of Assisi
    misecmisc1CheVastmind
  • CheChe Veteran
    "A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite"
    Leo Tolstoy
    walkis
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited July 2013
    "If you can shape it in your mind, you can find it in your life"
    --in my fortune cookie yesterday.

BTW....Thanks Lavetta for a nice lunch by the lake... :)
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    “The voyage of the best ship is a zigzag line of a hundred tacks. See the line from a sufficient distance, and it straightens itself to the average tendency.”
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • CheChe Veteran
    With no carbon emissions :D
  • CheChe Veteran

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
    Mother Teresa
    Invincible_summer
    “Faith is not being sure. It is not being sure, but betting with your last cent...

Faith is not a series of gilt-edged propositions that you sit down to figure out, and if you follow all the logic and accept all the conclusions, then you have it. It is crumpling and throwing away everything, proposition by proposition, until nothing is left, and then writing a new proposition, your very own, to throw in the teeth of despair...

Faith is not making religious-sounding noises in the daytime. It is asking your inmost self questions at night, and then getting up and going to work...

Faith is thinking thoughts and singing songs and making poems in the lap of death.” -- Mary Jean Irion
    riverflowChe
  • CheChe Veteran
    "Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe"
    Saint Augustine
    Invincible_summer
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    'It doesn't cost a thing to smile.....you don't have to pay
    to laugh'

--"There's Hope", India Arie
    CheriverflowmisterCope
  • CheChe Veteran

“Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.”
    Dalai Lama
    riverflowVastmind
  • I came across these three from Thomas Merton last week:

“Our job is to love others without stopping to inquire whether or not they are worthy. That is not our business and, in fact, it is nobody’s business. What we are asked to do is to love, and this love itself will render both ourselves and our neighbors worthy.”

~ ~ ~

“The truth that many people never understand, until it is too late, is that the more you try to avoid suffering the more you suffer because insignificant things begin to torture you in proportion to your fear of being hurt.”

~ ~ ~

“When we live superficially … we are always outside ourselves, never quite ‘with’ ourselves, always divided and pulled in many directions … we find ourselves doing many things that we do not really want to do, saying things we do not really mean, needing things we do not really need, exhausting ourselves for what we secretly realize to be worthless and without meaning in our lives.”
    CheInvincible_summer
  • CheChe Veteran

“When we love, we always strive to become better than we are. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.”
    Paulo Coelho
    Shigo
    More Merton...

""Those who love their own noise are impatient of everything else. They constantly defile the silence of the forests and the mountains and the sea. They bore through silent nature in every direction with their machines, for fear that the calm world might accuse them of their own emptiness. The urgency of their swift movement seems to ignore the tranquility of nature by pretending to have a purpose...

The loud plane seems for a moment to deny the reality of the clouds and of the sky, by its direction, its noise, and its pretended strength. The silence of the sky remains when the plane has gone. The tranquility of the clouds will remain when the plane has fallen apart. It is the silence of the world that is real. Our noise, our business, our purposes, and all our fatuous statements about our purposes, our business, and our noise: these are the illusion. Whether the plane pass by tonight or tomorrow ... whether the liner enters the harbor full of tourists or full of soldiers, the almond tree brings forth her fruit in silence."

-- Thomas Merton
    riverflowCheJeffreyEvenThird
  • More Merton...

I still love Merton's writing. I used to read him often back in my "liberal Christian" days back in the mid and late 90s...
    CheInvincible_summer
  • CheChe Veteran

“Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.”
    Marcel Proust
    riverflowJeffrey
    "One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." -- Andre Gide
    misterCope
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    "Mitakuye oyasin." -Lakota proverb

Literally translated: "All my relatives."

Actual meaning: "We are all connected."
    riverflowlobsterInvincible_summer
  • CheChe Veteran

“Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom.
    Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power.
    If you realize that you have enough, you are truly rich.”
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

riverflowInvincible_summer
  • "Nothing that is may be subtracted, nothing is dispensable."

~ Friedrich Nietzsche
    CheInvincible_summer
This discussion has been closed.