Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Your #1 favorite video game?

If you had to choose, of course.

Mine is Red Dead Redemption. First off, I'd like to say that this game has really solid gameplay. The world is vast, utteraly huge (one of the biggest gameworlds I know of, really) and it is jam packed full of stuff to do. From bandits trying to hijack a train, to someone who has been thrown from their horse and is stranded out in the wilderness with a broken leg, to criminals shooting up a town, etc. And in every instance, you have a chance to help the innocent people in harm's way, or to join the outlaws in their plunder. Over time, your Fame will increase, and people will begin to respond to you based on your Honor. If you have been a true and good man, protective over the weak, you will find a warm welcome in many towns. People will treat you with a sense of politeness you will be hard pressed to find if you become an outlaw yourself. And it is interesting to hear the NPC's in towns carry on tall tales, and as you listen, over time, those tall tales will be about you.

The characters are for the most part, well developed. Especially the protagonist, who is my favorite video game character to date. You play the part of John Marston. Former outlaw who has been pressed into the service through the kidnapping of his family to kill or capture the members of his old gang. I can only describe John Marston as "constantly a little sad" even in moments in the game when he is smiling and joking, you can tell a part of him died a long time ago. This time of development in a character is hard to come across these days, especially in a video game. When you actually feel something for him.

And holy cow the soundtrack. Easily one of the better ones I've heard. in major storyline moments in the game, they will often play a special song. I remember when John's trials are "over" and his family is released. He is far out in the wilderness, and all I remember is spurring my horse on till it nearly died from the strain of the run. blowing past bandit ambushes and packs of wolves, not even slowing down to pay them notice. The song is linked below

Zero

Comments

• Stargate and also Tempest.

Pardon me, my age is showing!
  • Glory days!!!

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Skyrim, Sacred 2 Ice and Blood, Baldur's Gate 2, Titan Quest,
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Ahaha, age has nothing to do with it! I do enjoy some good old Galaga every now and then, or some Donkey Kong, or Super Mario, etc. that's about as far back as my gaming experience goes though.
    riverflow
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    Tekken (all of them). Why? Kazuya Mishima is a boss. lol
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Eco the Dolphin.
    I really loved running and swimming and trying to avoid trouble in GTA.
    Pleased to say our TV has packed up, no replacement wanted, no game time . . .
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    Tekken.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Tekken? I used to flinch at hitting gals and old dudes. Then one thing led to another. :bawl:

I remember coming off actually playing Grand Theft Auto as designed. Just as I walked past the front door, a neighbour was driving towards me. I saw the headlights and was poised to dive out of the way.
    He was just reversing the car [oops]. If you think these things do not effect us, then also wonder how sitting still, calms our lives . . .
    I do have a flying game somewhere on the iPod touch but just flying around is so hard with an undercarriage of missiles . . . might just delete it, only played once . . .
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    lobster said:

Tekken? I used to flinch at hitting gals and old dudes. Then one thing led to another. :bawl:

I remember coming off actually playing Grand Theft Auto as designed. Just as I walked past the front door, a neighbour was driving towards me. I saw the headlights and was poised to dive out of the way.
    He was just reversing the car [oops]. If you think these things do not effect us, then also wonder how sitting still, calms our lives . . .
    I do have a flying game somewhere on the iPod touch but just flying around is so hard with an undercarriage of missiles . . . might just delete it, only played once . . .

Have you heard of Shenmue? It's the father of games like grand theft Auto. It's less violent and more appropriate.
    lobster
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I'm a huge fan of the Monkey Island series and other Sierra/LucasArts "point-and-click" adventure games.

Star Wars: The Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 are also very good.

Fallout 2 is awesome. So is Deus Ex 1.

Indigo Prophecy is stellar.

But my #1? The Longest Journey. Excellent story, puzzles that actually make sense. So, so good.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Monkey Island. What fun. arr . . .
    There was a yoga fitness wii 'game' I nearly bought - what do they call these? Anyway, prefer those at the moment but too busy playing at 'NewBuddhist Sim City - the Dharma Years' . . .
    :hiding:
    MaryAnneVastmind
  • Favourite game of all time = Goldeneye for N64. Nothing since has equaled the experience IMO.

The best game I've played recently was Silent Hill: Shattered Memories for Wii. It's a short game, but it really draws you in, like you're playing a really good book.
  • It's been quite a few years since I was "into" video games, (yeah, yeah, I'm old!) and I was never much impressed by the violent, war-like fantasy battle games....
    my favorite was the Legend of Zelda series, which I looked forward to every year there was a new release. Go ahead and laugh at my 'sissy' game choices! ;-)
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Time management games.

My favorite is the Delicious series with Emily and any of the
    Dash series comes in at second.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Zelda - Ocarina of Time

@MaryAnne Which ones have you played? And there's nothing sissy about Zelda! It's action + puzzles and logic. No other series even comes close, imo. And this is from someone who also plays a bunch of zombie shooters and other "hardcore gamer" stuff.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Eternal Darkness. An HPLovecraft setting and you go through time in scenarios such as the protagonists house at various times, an ancient ruin, a temple. There are different times of age/year and you always have to solve a mystery to get to each stage. The mystery is in the protagonists house and is a little puzzle. But the ruin appears in all different phases of time like from old Roman (occupied) ruin later in the 90s firefighting in Iraq with a time limit before the firefight of oil destroys the level. There is arcade combat, but as a young gamer from the 80s I am used to arcade. In addition to health and mana there is an insanity meter and when that goes too high all sorts of weird things start happening like blood running down the screen haha. It was on game cube I think. Another one on that gaming system is PicMin which you can research because I can't explain it.

• ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    Super Metroid is my #1

Also Monkey Island is very funny.

Look behind you! A three headed monkey! :)
    Invincible_summer
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited July 2013

Zelda - Ocarina of Time

@MaryAnne Which ones have you played? And there's nothing sissy about Zelda! It's action + puzzles and logic. No other series even comes close, imo. And this is from someone who also plays a bunch of zombie shooters and other "hardcore gamer" stuff.

I played the original Legend of Zelda (pretty primitive, right? The one that had the little cave holes in which Link would go into to 'gamble' for coins.... LOL)
    and I played each of the next 3 or 4 (?) games that came out.
    I moved through the series new releases as they came out on the original Nintendo 64 console, then on GameCube, then on Wii.

Hard to pick a favorite; It's a toss up between Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker. Also really liked the Majora's Mask. But I Looooved The Wind Waker. Felt like it allowed so much freedom to travel from place to place in that cool boat. It's been a long time since I played. I think The Wind Waker was the latest game out at the time.
    No, I remember one called Twilight Princess... I think that was the last one I'd heard about, and honestly can't remember if I played it or not. (Durr)

My Wii broke down, but I could borrow one, I'm sure.... did new games come out in the Zelda series that I should know about?? I may have to look into this! :D

zombiegirlJeffrey
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @MaryAnne Wind Waker was the one that I skipped but my other die hard Zelda fan friend ALSO ranked that as his top game, so clearly, I need to give it another shot (Nintendo is currently revamping the graphics and gameplay for a re-release on WiiU, btw). My fiance likes Twilight Princess the best, and that game was released on both Wii and GameCube, so if you have either, you could play it. So that's definitely worth a play, if you haven't already.

The newest Zelda is called Skyward Sword. Their goal was to model it after Ocarina of Time, so the feel/look of the game is very similar, but imo, it does fall a little short because the bar is so high. Still very fun though as you use the Wii remote as your sword and have to attack certain monsters from different angles and whatnot. You fly around on a bird instead of Epona and use a harp instead of an ocarina, but a bunch of new gadgets and other fun things make it very worthwhile.
    MaryAnne
  • Any of the Halo games that I played with my brother. That game brings SO many GREAT memories that my brother and I shared together when we were younger. Countless hours playing on Legendary having fun. I wouldn't trade the time that my brother and I had together for anything. The games were challenging and it was so rewarding when we got through some of the levels where you combat the Flood.

Also I REALLY liked playing some of the Twisted Metal games. Those were SO damn fun. Games like Twisted Metal is the reason I started buying some of the old systems so I can get the games again and play.
    Jeffrey
  • Zelda - Ocarina of Time

Amen to that! Zelda is one of the best game series I've ever laid my hands on!
    Jeffreyzombiegirl
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I've been playing games since Zork (which had no pictures) on my C64, so, I'm not sure I can pick a favorite. I still love the Zork series. I love Mario and most of it's incarnations. I really like the entire Elder Scrolls series. I enjoy Sims. I'm playing God of War Ascension right now, and Heavenly Sword, which are fun.
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • karasti said:

I've been playing games since Zork (which had no pictures) on my C64, so, I'm not sure I can pick a favorite. I still love the Zork series.

Hahaha Zork! C64!

10 PRINT "Awesome, @Karasti "
    20 GOTO LINE 10

[pulls out old Police and Men at Word records for a spin]
    personInvincible_summerSeveral
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    LOL @riverflow
    We had a book where we could write our own games over a couple hours, that was a riot. Nothing spells fun like going over hundreds of lines of code looking for that misplaced [
    I remember just being amazed when we got a computer where we didn't have to type to load it.
    Load "*",8,1

I forgot to mention I really enjoy From Dust, too (on Xbox 360) but I wish it was longer.
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I made my own game in highschool 90s as a text based game in BASIC. It was very creative; I wish I saved it!
    riverflowMaryAnne
    karasti said:

I've been playing games since Zork (which had no pictures) on my C64, so, I'm not sure I can pick a favorite. I still love the Zork series. I love Mario and most of it's incarnations. I really like the entire Elder Scrolls series. I enjoy Sims. I'm playing God of War Ascension right now, and Heavenly Sword, which are fun.

I feel like I still have nightmares from Dragon's Lair on the C64... man that game was ridiculously hard... (or at least, it was when I was like 5... lol) I was raised by gamers and that's why there was really no hope for me to become anything but... lol.

At the moment, I've been trying out Diablo III. It's okay, but I can really take it or leave it. I'm just playing the free trial version (up to level 12) off of the website but I don't plan to buy it after that. Not worth $60, imo.
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Medieval and Rome total war.
    Several
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

karasti said:

I feel like I still have nightmares from Dragon's Lair on the C64... man that game was ridiculously hard... (or at least, it was when I was like 5... lol) I was raised by gamers and that's why there was really no hope for me to become anything but... lol.

At the moment, I've been trying out Diablo III. It's okay, but I can really take it or leave it. I'm just playing the free trial version (up to level 12) off of the website but I don't plan to buy it after that. Not worth $60, imo.
    I played D3 for a few months, it was fun playing it through with the different classes the first few times. After that though it becomes about getting better gear. Good gear drops are extremely rare and in order to get better than average gear you end up having to play the auction house, which imo isn't much of a game. I thought it was worth the money but has a pretty quick drop off in terms of continued playability.

I really enjoy the Civilization series of games, I like the empire building style of games and I think these are the best I've played.
  • Civ does it for me too. The latest Civ 5 with all the DLC is really cool, but it can become seriously addictive and time consuming, so I have to be very careful with it...

Back in the good old days, I still dream about good-old Carrier Command on the Amiga. What a game, action and strategy all rolled into one. I'd love to see a modern re-interpretation of that on the latest hardware.

Plus I like the space exploration type games from Elite up to the X3 Terran Conflict game of recent times. Interesting to see what David Braben might do with his new crowd-funded project.

So many great games, so little time...

However, modern first person shooter type games leave me cold. Actually, worse than that, they make me dizzy after a couple of minutes. Not fun at all.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Ahh I absolutely adore the Civ games. Last one I eve played was Civ IV for the PC. in my opinion it is one of the better ones. In fact, I may just go and play it right now.

I consider it a fun challenge to dominate the entire game through diplomacy and trade alone, and to try and turn the world into a Utopia. Though, good old fashioned military or diplomatic conquest is fun too. I also love the political side of the game. The whole "my borders contain these resources. I can trade my "x" for another Civ's "y" and we'll both end up ahead"
  • riverflow said:

Glory days!!!

OMG did I love Tempset! Still absolutely love that game. Defender as well (didn't get into Stargate as much; I found it too hard).

For me, I would say my that #1 favorite PC game is still, after all these years, the original Quake series.

For classic arcade games, I would say probably Zaxxon or Donkey Kong. Or Galaga. Or Joust.

So, so many great games from back in the day.
    riverflow
  • @rivercane -- Funny, I always found Defender harder to play than Stargate (maybe only because you could put in $0.50 and double your ships haha). Zaxxon I could never quite master. Games back then didn't have the greatest graphics, but they made up for it in creativity. With only a few rare exceptions, 1985 represents a cutoff point for me and video games.

Ages ago I had downloaded MAME and a zillion old ROMs from the late 70s / early 80s, even the games I didn't really like for nostalgia's sake. Each ROM measured 4 or 5 kb-- roughly the size of a short sentence written in Microsoft Word.
  • MAME is so cool. I still won't let go of my ROM directory that I have backed up on a USB drive! I have also have a lot of Atari 2600 games that I downloaded.

It really is amazing how many will fit on a floppy.
    riverflow
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    NBA2K13!!:) What about Games Online? Or Free games? Like Facebook games or RPG games? Any suggestions?
  • Skyrim junkie here!
    rivercanekarasti
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    of all time? Final Fantasy 2(4)
  • I really like the Total War series, though I've only played up to Empires.

But, number 1, all time greatest, the mighty, the awesome, pimp-master general of them all...

DOOM.
  • Just to mention there are two mods for Doom that take it to a whole new experience. One is a Russian thing with an add kn called 'reinforcements from Moldova' which is hilarious. Vodka power-ups and nuclear weapons.Dual Triple barrel shotguns.
    The one that makes Doom uber-cool is Brutal Doom. Its really frakin' hard, and really, really bloody.
    It is the exact opposite of Buddhism, new or old.
  • Several said:

I really like the Total War series, though I've only played up to Empires.

But, number 1, all time greatest, the mighty, the awesome, pimp-master general of them all...

DOOM.

Oh hell yea.

I don't know about the Brutal Doom mod though. Original Doom seemed violent enough.