Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If you were on your death bed right now; what is the one thing you would say you have learnt?

If there is one thing that i have learnt it would be;

You cannot change others , you can only change yourself
riverflowJoyfulGirlWisdom23

Comments

• And i wish i knew this many years ago... :(
    Wisdom23
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    I'm only 32 so at this age, the first thing that popped into my head was to have learnt to be braver.
    I was terrified of everything as a child lol.
    zenmyste
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    zenmyste said:

I would modify that to say it is unlikely that you will change another person. Yet as teachers, we did it all the time.

riverflow
  • That people should listen to doctors when they tell you to live a healthier lifestyle (badump-bump!)

Seriously, won't have learned a thing. Was I supposed to?

Now if you ask what I will have experienced, I'll die still listing it all.
    riverflow
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    You mean the most important thing I've learned? I'd probably be too freaked out to care.
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    I have much more to learn.
    zenmyste
  • vinlyn said:

zenmyste said:

I would modify that to say it is unlikely that you will change another person. Yet as teachers, we did it all the time.

Teachers dont change us... We change ourselves
  • JohnG said:

I have much more to learn.

As we all do...... But the quesion still stands; if you were on your death bed right now, what is the one thing you would say you have learnt?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2013
    All is passing including Jeffrey. (Is my imaginary teacher happy with my answer? Do I get the happy face and star on my paper?)
    CinorjerLucy_Begood
    zenmyste said:

And i wish i knew this many years ago... :(

I think that's something a lot of us have have to learn, but not all ppl do. A worthy lesson i think. I still haven't fully learnt that one. Hats off.
    zenmyste said:

vinlyn said:

zenmyste said:

Teachers dont change us... We change ourselves
    Little happens in a vacuum. Change usually requires a new ingredient in one's life. Otherwise life adheres the the laws of motion.

riverflow
  • My most important lesson of all time would be: Letting go. Do not cling into this world especially when you are on deathbed.
    riverflowJeffrey
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Work less.
    Love more.
    JeffreyriverflowLucy_Begood
  • don't burn your toast...nicely brown it
    Jeffrey

don't burn your toast...nicely brown it

That is very true. I broke my toe burning toast once
    :banghead:
    JeffreymisterCoperiverflow
  • wrathfuldeitywrathfuldeity Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Dandelion said:

U must be the toast master, that's great you only burnt your toast once....
    I've burnt mine countless times...surprising I got any left

• SabreSabre Veteran
    What love means: acceptance.
    edited August 2013

Dandelion said:

U must be the toast master, that's great you only burnt your toast once....
    I've burnt mine countless times...surprising I got any left

Then you haven't learnt your lesson yet! Ha!
    I suggest you break your toe, to help......
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love.
    MaryAnneSabreArthurbodhicvalue
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    MaryAnne said:

" Wow- 56 and dead. Didn't make 95 like I'd planned, dammit!".

amusing as 56 is 95 upside down!
    MaryAnnemisterCope
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    edited August 2013
    "Don't panic, it could be worst." :)
    riverflowInvincible_summercvalue
  • I would have learned how to be in the moment so I could face death when it comes.
    cvalue
    The validity of answers here is probably proportional to the relative age of respondents, except for a few younger people who may have actually faced death.
    riverflowcvalue
    vinlyn said:

The validity of answers here is probably proportional to the relative age of respondents, except for a few younger people who may have actually faced death.

I desagree; maturity, wisdom or awareness of impermanence nothing have to do with what age you have.

One of the person more immature in this topic that I meet was older than me, he always said to me and others that he will never die. And he pass his live really believing that. Because that he live always like a teenager and die prematurely because that. That man was my father, was a good father thought and I loved him.

One is not an elder by virtue of having white hair. One is just advanced in years, and called "grown old in vain". He in whom there is truthfulness, non violence, restraint and self control, however - that wise and faultless sage is to be called an elder.
    Dhammapada 260-261
    Lucy_BegoodriverflowmisterCope
    @Arthurbodi, it seems to me that your paragraph about your father made my point. I am sorry for that loss, but it sounds to me by what you wrote that your father died relatively young, even though he was (obviously) older than you.

Of course there are young people who are wise and old people who are foolish, but until you have literally faced death, I don't think you know how you will react.
    riverflowArthurbodhi
  • One thing I have learned is that both my parents and my child are wiser than I.
    riverflowzenmyste
    vinlyn said:

@Arthurbodi, it seems to me that your paragraph about your father made my point. I am sorry for that loss, but it sounds to me by what you wrote that your father died relatively young, even though he was (obviously) older than you.

Of course there are young people who are wise and old people who are foolish, but until you have literally faced death, I don't think you know how you will react.

My father was in his 50s when he die but I understand better your statement now, and I think you are right, we will never know exactly how we will react in that moment
    Lucy_Begood
  • Life is short.
    MaryAnne
  • That I am going to die?
    Invincible_summerzenmyste
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    I learned...come closer...I learne..........................................................................................................................

Invincible_summerriverflowZeromisterCope
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Our "best" is all any of us can do.
    zenmysteriverflow
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    don't take anything too seriously.
    riverflowzenmystecvaluemisterCope
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Try not to pee in the bed, but don't be surprised if you do.
    MaryAnnecvaluemisterCoperiverflow
  • Never take tomorrow for granted; never waste an opportunity to tell the ones you love that you love them. Enjoy every day as if it were your last.
    MaryAnnecvalueriverflowJeffrey