Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Choosing a careerpath

suryasurya New
edited August 2013 in Buddhism Basics
Can meditation and mindfullness be used as ways to gain insight in to what careerpath to choose ? I'm aware that using meditation as a mere means to and end defeats the whole purpose of the practice, but still , the Ego needs to be satisfied as well eh ? :D Not that I'm using it in this way right now but it would be nice to know if it has helped anyone else here in facilitating this very difficult choice ?. Or was it obvious to all of you and am I an exception ?.

The thing is that all my life I've been torn between 2 seemingly opposed areas of work, Art and Science ...my mind wants one thing and my intuition the other, a conflict with detrimental effects on my career, or lets just say the absence of one. For the past decade or so I've been plodding along in IT just to pay the rent but with no career improvements because I hate the very prospect of having a promotion in a field of work I dont like. Just to feel 'alive' I fill all my spare time with doing the things I love...painting, drawing, photography, astronomy, math (yes math!). So why not quit my job and choose a career I desire ? Fear ! Fear of not being adequate or smart or determined enough. Then there is the practical obstacle of being 35 with a mortgage and the desire and social pressure to start a family. This is where mindfull meditation comes in to hopefully reduce this anxiety and fear so that my path becomes ... I dunno, less convoluted?

Comments

• No I don't think meditation can be a magic 8 ball. But answers do bubble up, just it doesn't come via will force. I can't advise about developing a life as I barely have any inkling of life myself, ha! No seriously artists have trouble getting the dollar to flow back in response to blood sweat and tears flowing out. Meditation on the apramanas (pali canon it's called brahmaviras). Kindness and friendliness to yourself. Carrying your burdens and others. Joy at the beauty in each blade of grass and each patchwork person. Disenchantment from the passions to let in the light and dark of feelings etc. :mullet:
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    If anything, meditation/mindfulness will help you in times when you feel like you should be somewhere else other than where you are.
    CoryMaryAnneriverflow
  • how said:

I would suggest putting meditation and mindfulness on the highest position of your altar so that everything else ( job, career) simply becomes a reflection of that practice.

Putting your job or career on top of your altar will relegate your meditation & mindfulness to a subservient position of influence in your life.

Your choice.

What a profound and wise suggestion @how.
    fixingjulianriverflow
  • “choosing,” i.e., decision making 101….
    It sounds like your “head” is saying science…IT…it pays the bills….logical/analytical
    It sounds like your “heart” is feeling alive… I love...painting, drawing, photography, astronomy, math.
    And your gut…”what do I know”…fear… Fear of not being adequate or smart or determined enough.

Your head, heart and gut are all valid sources of information and consideration. When all three are pointing in the same direction…run down that path. When 2 of 3…well proceed with caution and have a contingency or plan-B or escape plan. And when none agree, then the “stew is not done cooking”…use the option that @how suggest…wait and gather more information…it will become clear.
    fixingjulianJeffrey
  • suryasurya New
    edited August 2013
    Ty all of you! Your suggestion @how really hit home, because at the moment with all the troubles and tribulations with my work and career indeed my yoga and meditation practice has been religated to a minor position because it has 'no practical value' to my career, or so my mind lets me believe. As a result of this perfectionist trait I end up procrastinating and having delusions of a illustrious career instead of working on one, this has been my reality for years now. But there has been much improvement in this area since I embarked on a spiritual path (from naive born hindu, to angry atheist back to spiritual seeker...the irony), with my constant fear of relapse into old habits it's good to hear to take this new path very seriously ... could a meditation retreat be something to consider ? As I see it my daily life has too much distractions (IT guy...) to be completely mindfull.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2013
    @surya
    Retreats/Daily living/ distractions/..one zen approach!

Remember that whether in retreat or in daily life, this very nano second is all you will ever have to be awake in.

Without a distraction entering this present moment, what would you practice with?

A distraction is really just anything that overpowers and limits your awareness of any of the other incoming sense gate inputs. (forms/ sensations/ thoughts/ activities & consciousness)

Remaining mindful of the incoming sensegate input that a distraction is dampening down will limit a distractions power to dominate your practice.
    Invincible_summer