Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Have you had nicknames?

For some negative people in my life I was called 'the Gimp' and also 'Fluffster' Good thing I am past those times. :)

Comments

• ToshTosh Veteran
    edited August 2013
    I'm a half Japanese Geordie and spent 17 years in the military; hence I've had lots of nicknames.

Tojo
    Banzai
    The 'Jap sniper' (I was a very good marksman; Bisley standard)
    Hirohito
    Kitchen Sink
    Split link
    Dink
    Missing link (anything that rhymes with chink really)
    Tosh (from a British 1990's commercial - "Hello Tosh, got a Toshiba?" It's made in Japan) - this name stuck and even Mrs Tosh calls me Tosh; my real name is 'Ken'.

But my all time funniest one, being half Geordie, was "Whey-Aye-Banzai", but you'd have to be British to understand that one.
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited August 2013
    My mother still calls me Chami. And others too when they want to annoy me. lol.

The most annoying thing is that I get annoyed at the notion that they think I would be annoyed by them calling me that... and then I get really annoyed at myself for being annoyed.

Sigh. Gets me every time. lol.
    riverflow
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Hi Chami; I think that's your name now. :D
  • My name is Joshua, or just "Josh,"-- but my mother often calls me "Joshy"; my ex-GF used to call me that too...

A co-worker at my old job in Dallas liked to say "Josh-OOH-ah" (accent on the second syllable) which made me laugh.

MaryAnne
    Tosh said:

Hi Chami; I think that's your name now. :D

But if you do I just might start calling you Mom... :p
    riverflowInvincible_summerTosh
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Tosh said:

I'm a half Japanese Geordie and spent 17 years in the military; hence I've had lots of nicknames.

Tojo
    Banzai
    The 'Jap sniper' (I was a very good marksman; Bisley standard)
    Hirohito
    Kitchen Sink
    Split link
    Dink
    Missing link (anything that rhymes with chink really)
    Tosh (from a British 1990's commercial - "Hello Tosh, got a Toshiba?" It's made in Japan) - this name stuck and even Mrs Tosh calls me Tosh; my real name is 'Ken'.

But my all time funniest one, being half Geordie, was "Whey-Aye-Banzai", but you'd have to be British to understand that one.

LOL...It would probably take a Brit to understsand this one too Ken..When I was teaching med students they spent time in various clinics/wards/departments on rotation. One of these departments was headed by a Consultant of Japanese origin. He was known to be very demanding and had very high standards which did not endear him to all of the students..who dubbed his department 'Tenko'....
    Tosh
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Yes. "Moo noi" to a few of my Thai friends (which means "little pig").
    ToshriverflowkarmabluesInvincible_summer
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Cripes, this is embarrassing..... I have 4 brothers- two older, two younger. My older brothers started calling me "MaryWitch" instead of MaryAnne from the time I was about 5-6. Why? Well, let's just say I've always had 'special gifts' of .... intuition... and leave it at that. Then my younger brothers picked up on it.
    That stupid name stuck with me until I was in my 30's!

I became a pagan when I was around 16-17 or so... A Dianic Wiccan, to be specific... Wiccan's are also 'witches' in the modern sense of the word. So being called MaryWitch took on an embarrassingly double meaning... and finally I had to beg my brothers to stop calling me that because it called attention to my spiritual path and seemed to mock it. Eventually they stopped.

But every once in a while, my eldest brother, who is the biggest PITA nooge you'd ever want to meet, will still call me that now and then. Just to piss me off. :o The reason I don't have a sense of humor about it any longer is because my oldest brother says it with a tone of sarcasm and disrespect. He has no respect for anyone who is not a right-wing teabaggin' White republican Christian. (ugh)

The Pagan name I took on in my early 20's was "Savannah Moon". That was the name I used in real life pagan groups and gatherings, for teaching Wicca and Tarot Cards, and later all over the internet in pagan chat rooms, newsletters, as a Reiki practitioner, and then blogs. Everyone who knew me well in the pagan community called me "Savvy" or "Savvy Moon".

I swear, it got to the point when more people knew me as Savvy than my real name!
    I used that name up until about 6-7 years ago. Right around the time I started gravitating away from Paganism towards Buddhism.

I have lots of Nicknames for my kids and husband. But they are private and used only amongst family. :D (they'd kill me if I mentioned most of them! LOL)
    riverflowKundoInvincible_summer
    MaryAnne said:

But every once in a while, my eldest brother, who is the biggest PITA nooge you'd ever want to meet, will still call me that now and then. Just to piss me off. :o The reason I don't have a sense of humor about it any longer is because my oldest brother says it with a tone of sarcasm and disrespect. He has no respect for anyone who is not a right-wing teabaggin' White republican Christian. (ugh)

Thats easily solved! Just send him to Sweden and I'll give him a good buddhist spanking to set him on the straight and narrow! ;) .

/Victor
    MaryAnneriverflow
  • Isn't that a violation of the precepts for adults to give each other spankings? :buck:
    MaryAnneVictoriousInvincible_summer
  • I'm also very affectionately known as "Aunt Snotty" to one niece and nephew.... I still laugh over that one and every now and then they still call me that! LOL
    Victoriousriverflow
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I don't know if I ever had any really negative nicknames. My sister used to call me Kim Cow but it never bothered me. My grandma still calls me Kimberly, which is my given name but it drives me crazy for some reason. My mom still enjoys calling me Kimmy which is also annoying sometimes because it reminds me of Kimmie Gibler on Full House, LOL. I have friends who call me Kimby. That's about it. I have lots of nicknames for my husband and kids, too.
    riverflow
  • I have nicknames for my dog: bud, sparky. A nickname from my ex gf was 'little beast'.. that's one I liked :)
    MaryAnne
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    In chronological order:

Matty
    Weasel
    Minkis
    Lips
    Iceman
    Cope
    The Great White Cope
    Ma-choo (from some of the younger kids I tutor)
    And, in a most circuitous fashion, Matty once again.

The only name that I've ever objected to is "Matt." It's just such an abrasive noise, especially when people use it to get my attention by shouting. They sound like bleating goats.
    MaryAnneKundo
  • Another nickname from the origin 'the gimp'....
    'top shelf'

He was an aficianodo of vodka... love/hate memories.. all in a lifetime I am not Ebenezer Scroodge not having lived life without love of friends in 'low places'
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited August 2013
    I had a big birthmark on my cheek which was cut off and so for obvious reasons I was called scar-face... It stopped when I started calling others boot-ass.

Just kidding except for the volatile early teen years... It hurt then it didn't.
  • lungfish(and variations such as lung buffalo, lung monkey)
    Little dude,
    Poopsie,
    Grables,
    Graceface,
    the G-dog,
    Bruce
    Gok Wan
    Invincible_summer
  • I was called 'Pages' in uni and still am , short for yellow pages. For anyone older than twenty in the uk who remembers the advert where the little boy needs to stand on the yellow pages to kiss the girl under the missletoe; well apparently that's me. Bcoz and here's the punchline i'm a short arse lol Saying this most people i knew had nick names we had a ferby, frodo, princess to name a few lol i knew half of them by the nickname before i knew tjeir real name lol i rather like pages rather comical
    MaryAnneInvincible_summer
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    I used to have nicknames, but in 2010 I legally changed my first name by deed poll, and since then.... nothing :D
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    'Robot', they used to call me during my secondary school. Mainly because I always took A's where no one could, and secondary, because I tended not to 'stick with the herd', and this because I liked to draw things.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

For some negative people in my life I was called 'the Gimp' and also 'Fluffster' Good thing I am past those times. :)

When I was at school I was called "pea-brain". I never got it.

:p
  • Dandelion said:

I used to have nicknames, but in 2010 I legally changed my first name by deed poll, and since then.... nothing :D

Hmmmm... and I guess that's all you're going to tell us??
    :-/
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Dandelion said:

I did that too..I am now called Nada .
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Growing up.... my parents called me Baybo.
    At work...I'm called Spikey,Mohawk, or Sister.
    My son says... Mommy Salami :buck:
    riverflow
  • I was called fish.
    Fish for my whole middle school and high school years.
    It all happened at a summer camp.
    My sleeping bag had a subtle scent of fish.
    And I've been hella messed up since. Hahahaha
    riverflowJeffrey
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    edited August 2013
    MaryAnne said:

Dandelion said:

Hmmmm... and I guess that's all you're going to tell us??
    :-/
    Previous names..Tricky the northerner (said with such disdain by the southerners... oh the north south divide is alive and well in England lol), poppet.

The husband has recently taken to calling me 'sweetickle', I forgot about that one, it hasn't been around for long enough!
    MaryAnne
  • I have been called 'Ting-Tong Tom' by various Thais throughout the past 3 or so years. It basically means strange or slightly crazy Tom.
    riverflowkarmablues
  • ShimShim Veteran
    I go by 'The Emperor of China'. Derived from some similarities I share with the last emperor Aisingioro Puyi. And perhaps (just perhaps.. ) from my bloated ego. :D
    MaryAnneDandelion