Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Should we as individuals stop supporting certain sports?

Certain sports eg boxing, american football causes serious long-term injury
to the players. Other endurance sports eg cycling and rowing is all about
how much pain you can endure. Unsurprisingly, cycling has a bad rep
when it comes to dopng. Tour de France for eg requires superhuman
strength and endurance.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2013/07/21/is-malcolm-gladwell-right-should-college-football-be-banned/

Jeffrey

Comments

• i sometimes wonder why cruelty to animals is bad yet humans takes to these kind of sports. makes me wonder, why. its like watching the arena of gladiators and spectators of such like the romans citizens cheering and boasting from every blood spilled. yet in these days its called...sports.
    gawd12442
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Why wouldn't you examine what your support of anything is?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    No one forces the athletes to participate in their sports.
    Tosh
  • A lot of sports like american football have newer provisions to protect players. For example there is a new rule about helmet to helmet contact in football. I think people should obviously be allowed to play their sport. I believe in freedom, choices, and consequences.
    vinlyn
  • I think the OP is asking will you stop supporting a sport
    if it is harmful to the players.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Well, every sport does potential damage, that is why sports players train for the sports they choose to play. Even running damages knees and ankles faster than just walking. Should people not run?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    hermitwin said:

Certain sports eg boxing, american football causes serious long-term injury
    to the players.

The NFL Is Funding Cruel and Deadly Experiments on Animals.

Yes, it would be better if this was not supported.

jll said:

I think the OP is asking will you stop supporting a sport

I do not support having tackle football at the high school level. They're children.

I do support boxing for adults. They are mature enough to understand the issues involved, they are all looking for the million-dollar-plus box office pay-off. In terms of personal safety and health, one adult doesn't need to tell another adult how to live.

MaryAnne
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited September 2013
    Boxing?????
    If you watch folks harming each other for entertainment then you are the one creating that harm.
    We are funny beings surely when we can speak ill of the Thai sex trade on one hand while supporting the boxing industries with the other.
    BunksbetaboyEvenThird
    how said:

Boxing?????
    If you watch folks harming each other for entertainment then you are the one creating that harm.
    We are funny beings surely when we can speak ill of the Thai sex trade on one hand while supporting the boxing industries with the other.

Over and over again, police -- often probably motivated by not getting their kick backs -- have freed women and girls and boys (and yes, I am talking about children) who were forced/coerced into the the Thai sex trade...some -- particularly from other countries -- literally kidnapped and held captive for very long periods of time. The hiv rate, along with other diseases these sex workers have contracted cause MANY of them serious health problems for the rest of their lives.

That's a heckuva lot different than Floyd Mayweather and Canelo Alvarez getting purses of 41 and 5 million dollars, respectively, earlier this month in a sporting event in which they each voluntarily sought the match. And again, one adult doesn't need to tell another adult how to live.

Jeffrey
  • Maybe we can support Buddhist Sports?
    Or develop 'sport samadhi', which was my first kensho . . .
  • I am not in favour of banning any sport.
    But I will NOT pay to watch boxing, and I choose
    not to watch it on TV either. note that the OP
    ask how as individuals we can play our part.
    vinlyn said:

jll said:

I think the OP is asking will you stop supporting a sport

I do not support having tackle football at the high school level. They're children.

I do support boxing for adults. They are mature enough to understand the issues involved, they are all looking for the million-dollar-plus box office pay-off. In terms of personal safety and health, one adult doesn't need to tell another adult how to live.

how
    To each his own.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @vinlyn
    Watch as many sweaty men hurting each other as you like.

As you say, each to his own....... but are you really justifying one form of violence here by reasoning that it's not as bad as other forms.
    Is any violence somehow turned into peace through us paying the players enough money.

If one adult never needed to tell another how to live...the Buddha would have remained silent.

Chaz
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Interesting thread. I've been thinking about this for sometime. Mostly about Basketball and how important it has been when I was growing up. However, I understand that Basketball and any sport for that matter is about making a profit. Thus, I have been thinking of cutting my ties, but it's been embedded into my mind and body that it's hard to turn another cheek. Thanks for bringing this topic to mind!!
  • Perhaps we should have a spiritual Olympics?
    I have provided an initial blueprint of possible events . . .
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/post/24320417803/spiritual-olympics

Do you feel any new events would be welcome?
    Guru bashing? Candle making? Competitive enlightenment?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-immolation

:wave:
  • lobster said:

Maybe we can support Buddhist Sports?
    Or develop 'sport samadhi', which was my first kensho . . .

In Buddhist boxing, there is neither punching nor not punching, neither both punching and not punching ... now I am really confused.

Seriously, though, dangerous sports must be stopped - one adult cannot tell another adult what to do? Then many unlawful things will become legal. Dangerous precedent.
    maarten
    edited September 2013
    how said:

If one adult never needed to tell another how to live...the Buddha would have remained silent.

Well, you're not Buddha, and Buddhism doesn't have the right to rule the world. It's a personal path.

MaryAnne
    edited September 2013
    betaboy said:

Seriously, though, dangerous sports must be stopped - one adult cannot tell another adult what to do? Then many unlawful things will become legal. Dangerous precedent.

Funny how so many people here want a separation of church and state...until it would help one of their personal causes. I'd say that was the dangerous precedent.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I suspect all Kiwi's will stop supporting yachting after this morning's result...... ;)
    vinlyn
  • Seriously, though, dangerous sports must be stopped
    They must? :thumbdown:
    Perhaps.

Perhaps sport is 'play war' and better than the alternative. :thumbup:
    I have practiced contact based martial arts, you don't have to but it would probably be very beneficial . . .
    If I was going to ban a sport it would be 'Christian baiting' or 'Moslem bashing' but they are such willing martyrs . . . difficult to regulate . . . maybe we need rules of engagement?
    :wave:
    betaboy said:

Seriously, though, dangerous sports must be stopped...

Why? Because it's opposed to your religious views, which take precedence over the views of other free people?

Instead of a nanny-state, a nanny-religion?

If you don't support stopping boxing, for example, you're not a real Buddhist?

How far are you taking this?

• It's easy to do when your teams include the MN Twins and Vikings.
    Chaz
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @vinlyn

It is not that I don't understand the appeal of violence.
    I spent years sparring in a full contact, no padding martial art and was proficient with a wide range of weaponry from blade to glock.

None of it however made a lick of sense to continue fostering once my meditation showed me the real fool that I was trying to defend.

If your ego is unfed from your support of violence against others, then I bow to your practice, and ask for your teaching on how to achieve such a thing.

Oh.. and while waiting for my Buddha license to be returned, I might point out that there is a difference between telling someone what they should and should not do....and pointing out to them what they are currently doing.

lobsterEvenThirdjll
    how said:

@vinlyn

Oh.. and while waiting for my Buddha license to be returned, I might point out that there is a difference between telling someone what they should and should not do....and pointing out to them what they are currently doing.

Thank you grandma. I know what you're telling me is only for my own good. Please nag me some more.

Oops, flashback.
  • None of it however made a lick of sense to continue fostering once my meditation showed me the real fool that I was trying to defend.
    I suppose in some sports and martial training we are empowering others to better their options . . . In a sense enabling 'other' to play the game independent of the foolishness
    If your ego is unfed from your support of violence against others, then I bow to your practice, and ask for your teaching on how to achieve such a thing.
    :bowdown: Perhaps a harder softness or vice versa. One of my teachers used to motivate us by telling us we were 'not dancers'. This always sounded wrong. Eventually I took up dance to improve my sense of rhythm and graceful movement. Nothing is more humiliating to our sense of the macho than being in a dance class . . .
    This was the dance style I learned, another sort of 'Morris Dancing'.
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    Driving causes more death and injury to people, animals and the environment than any sport. It is not essential to human existence, the combustion engine has only been around for just over a century and yet there are very few people willing to forego their personal transport for the benefit of others. In contrast, sport pretty much only injures willing participants (not including bloodsports or motor sports) and deaths are rare.
    maarten
  • so we are now comparing violent sports with driving.
    hmmmm........
    ZenBadger said:

Driving causes more death and injury to people, animals and the environment than any sport. It is not essential to human existence, the combustion engine has only been around for just over a century and yet there are very few people willing to forego their personal transport for the benefit of others. In contrast, sport pretty much only injures willing participants (not including bloodsports or motor sports) and deaths are rare.

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    I'm not too keen on telling others how to live or what how they should entertain themselves.

For myself, I've pretty much forsaken most contact sports. I've lost my taste for the violence. In some cases I've developed revulsion for the sports, seeing them as little more than society - sanctioned of gladitorial combat (football and hockey especially). I haven't watch a round of a boxing match since the Holmes/Cobb fight in '82. MMA fights make me ill. I happen to think such things mark a society in decline.

Now if someone else wants to partake of such violence, that's not really something I care to take up with them. As it turns out, one of my teachers - an Acharya lama - really likes pugil sports (boxings, etc). I have a lot of friends who have similar attractions to contact sports. In fight nights or game day, I won't be in attendance.
    jll said:

so we are now comparing violent sports with driving.
    hmmmm........

And that is part of my point. When one starts to micromanage other people's lives, there is no end to the ways in which that micromanagement can manifest itself.

mfranzdorfMaryAnnepommesetorangesYishai
  • I absolutely love college football. I would be sad to lose it.
  • Well let's see. Because the athletes *choose* to play sports, knowing full well that they may injure themselves. It's not like there's a sniper trained on them and if they quit they get shot. Or if they stop playing the game they'll be spanked when they get back to the showers (or, who knows, they might but I uh, digress)
    MaryAnne
  • I think individuals should make this choice themselves rather than have it legislated. The athletes are the owners of their own bodies. Obviously there shouldn't be torture of animals.
    vinlyn
  • vinlyn said:

jll said:

so we are now comparing violent sports with driving.
    hmmmm........

And that is part of my point. When one starts to micromanage other people's lives, there is no end to the ways in which that micromanagement can manifest itself.

Exactly. There are more than a few people right here in this forum, who can't for the life of themselves stop conflating the extremes in order to regulate/restrict or condemn it all.

Examples; People who equate those who choose to have a couple of beers with friends on a Friday night .... with someone who can't stop himself from downing 3/4 of a bottle of gin, falling into the gutter and sleeping in his own vomit every Friday night....

People who can't resist equating someone smoking a joint, on their own back porch, watching the sun set on a beautiful fall evening after a long and busy day ... to someone shooting heroin into their veins 6-8 times a day and failing to provide or care for their children on a daily basis ...

I personally don't 'support' most professional sports by spectating nor with my dollars. Sports never interested me all that much. For a while I was a pro baseball fan, (Mets) but that was many years ago - I eventually just lost my zeal for that as well.

Do I have a certain admiration for athletes and their talents and dedication to [their] sport? Yes, I do. It's a lot of hard work and they sacrifice plenty to get into Pro status. Do I think it's justifiable to be paid multi-millions of dollars a year to play a sport? No I don't. When a high school teacher can make as little as 35-40k a yr, but some 6'7" 25 yr old who can dunk a basketball can bring home 1.8 mil that same year; well, there's a problem with priorities within our culture...

Is the answer to ban all sports, or even just "violent" sports? I don't think so. The solution is to change oneself, which in turn might change those around you, which in turn might change society- eventually - so that the demand for these 'games' and sports drops off to the point where it's not profitable enough for the Big Guys who own the teams and the venues.

YMMV

ChazJeffreyStraight_Manlobster
    Ya got me! I had to look up YMMV!

I think for people who want to ban sports (or even violent sports), instead they should go to each athlete one on one and try to persuade them to quit sports. That would bring the human element back into the mix.
    MaryAnneChaz
  • Examples; People who equate those who choose to have a couple of beers with friends on a Friday night .... with someone who can't stop himself from downing 3/4 of a bottle of gin, falling into the gutter and sleeping in his own vomit every Friday night....

People who can't resist equating someone smoking a joint, on their own back porch, watching the sun set on a beautiful fall evening after a long and busy day ... to someone shooting heroin into their veins 6-8 times a day and failing to provide or care for their children on a daily basis ...
    Really?
  • maarten said:

Examples; People who equate those who choose to have a couple of beers with friends on a Friday night .... with someone who can't stop himself from downing 3/4 of a bottle of gin, falling into the gutter and sleeping in his own vomit every Friday night....

Really?

@maarten

Really? ...... what? I'll be happy to clarify, but I'm not sure what you are asking "Really?" about....

• I think nobody(exc gladwell) said anything banning any sports
    except those who are not in favour of banning sports.

if that makes any sense.

how
  • @MaryAnne,

it's just that I don't recognize the picture you are painting. I don't remember reading any post saying that you should not drink at all, or never smoke anything. My impression is that people don't go any further than saying that the buddha advised against it. Maybe I missed some of these threads, or maybe I skipped them.
  • Maybe you just missed them.... maybe you didn't read such "absolute-ism" into the comments as I may have, but honestly, I don't think I'm remembering too far off the mark....

These types of discussions usually happen/ed when the topic of Precepts comes up- especially #1 and #5.
    People literally 'fretting' over the killing of ants or mosquitos in the same way they'd fret over the killing of a bear or a whale. Taking the precept literally, & fundamentally, without grey areas, nor consideration for any sort of (food chain, or 'sentience') science...
    Some people feel the 5th precept is also an absolute; No alcohol, No mood-enhancing substances, etc. No middle ground, no middle way, no exceptions... Why? because of their conflating the extremes with that middle ground, (as I said in my other post) thereby making it all the same to them.
    Chaz
    What I find interesting is that the extent of following of the 5 Precepts (individually) depends greatly on the individuals personal preferences. I don't see that in the Precepts.

• ^^^ "Personal preference" or "interpretation"? Are these two terms interchangeable?
    I think sometimes they are, sometimes they're not. But individuals do decide for themselves, and I'm OK with that (for sure!).
    But you've got to admit, @vinlyn, there have been many discussions on this board, on several different topics, when a few people stick to the written word /dogma like glue, and/or believe their interpretation is the only "correct" one; no?
    Chaz
    I agree. And I've probably been in that position more than once...but a lot less so over time.

But I find it odd that someone will say, "One should never kill any life, even a dengue-infected mosquito because of Precept number 1, but drinking and drugs is sort of okay, despite Precept number 5."
    mfranzdorf
    edited September 2013
    vinlyn said:

What I find interesting is that the extent of following of the 5 Precepts (individually) depends greatly on the individuals personal preferences. I don't see that in the Precepts.

That's nice......

I suppose, then, that your read of the Dharma and judgement of us mere mortals should be sufficient for each and every one of us to follow.

Maybe you should start gathering students.
    First, I never said that people don't need to make their own judgements and follow their own path.

Second, again, just read the post directly above your post, Chaz.

But, perhaps you can show me where one of the precepts says "always", and others say "as you like".

• @Chaz

Observation does not always equal judgement. I don't really read that sort of judgement in @Vinlyn's post. He's just retelling an observation he's made regarding a general atmosphere he/we sometimes see in this forum about some topics.
    Why the negativity?

MaryAnne said:

@Chaz

Observation does not always equal judgement.

In this case I believe it does.
    I don't really read that sort of judgement in @Vinlyn's post.
    That's fine.
    He's just retelling an observation he's made regarding a general atmosphere he/we sometimes see in this forum about some topics.
    With a judgemental attitude.
    Why the negativity?
    I'm not being negative.

Check this:

Take a drink. I smoke a little pot. I eat a lot of meat. I kill things. I break a few precepts. My teachers know this. My guru knows this. None of them presume to lecture me on my path relative to the 5 Precepts, or even suggest that I'm not aware of what they say. None of them have ever said a single thing about this.

The truth is that I don't really care all that much about the pop Buddhist attitude of a fundamental approach to things like the 5Ps. A fundamental approach to religion led to the near total destruction of my family. I HATE fundamentalism. If someone like Vinlyn presents something I think is preachy fundamentalism, I get REALLY pissed.

If being pissed is "negative", then maybe I AM being negative.

And I think I'm OK with that.
    edited September 2013
    Okay, Chaz, but you're reading me wrong.

And, you're being judgmental about someone you think is being judgmental.
  • I'm not even going to bother replying, @Chaz.... once again, have it your way.
    Maybe I can explain it better to Chaz if I take it out of the Buddhist realm.

I am very close friends with a Catholic couple. They are very Catholic...he being a former seminarian and she spent some time in a convent. We sometimes talk about religion, in general, as well as Catholicism and Buddhism.

The woman never goes to confession. The man frequently goes to confession.

The woman says confession is no longer mandatory in the Catholic Church. The man says it is still mandatory.

He's right. I've read a number of sources about it due to our discussions. It's still mandatory.

She, like me when I was still Catholic, decided that she personally doesn't agree with the teaching. And that's fine with me. But the official position is still the official position. I don't believe in confession. I don't care if any Catholic goes to confession. But it's still the official position.

And, that's how I see the 5 basic precepts. If you choose to drink or smoke pot, I don't give a shit. But it's still the precept not to. Just as I don't accept the way the first precept is read by many. I eat meat. I kill true animal pests. And I don't give a shit if the vegetarians don't like that. Part of my reasoning is about the term sentient. I think there is vast room for disagreement about that definition.

But whether or not you smoke or drink or eat meat or veggies...it's your decision...it's your path. But that doesn't change what the teaching says.