Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why do you believe in the existence of gods?

2»

Comments

• Blondel said:

Jeffrey said:

Yes, that's what Nagarjuna said, @Blondel. He also said "how can we establish the unconditioned if we cannot establish the conditioned".. Nagarjuna negated both self empty and other empty.

How, for example, do you know what non-white means without first knowing what white is? Or how can you know what unfriendly means without first knowing what friendly means? How do you know what fool's gold is without first knowing what gold is?

Yes. As I said, Nagarjuna says the same thing. How can there be emptiness of self without a self to be empty. But he also said 'how can you establish the unconditioned if you cannot even establish the conditioned'. My teacher is a shentongpa so I actually am more prone to think in terms of emptiness of other. At least I pick up vibes that go in that direction, though I don't hardly understand shentong. At the level of practice I am at mainly I try to see impermanence and emptiness of skhandas.
  • I have no idea where you are getting these quotes from. Would you mind citing your sources?
  • Incidentally, I personally find the OP—especially the subject title—to be irreverent.
    How would you know what to revere, without irreverence . . . as your personal god might say . . .

In the sense you mean it, I am irreverent, arrogant even. Maybe I will call for some form of adulation . . . Nope, not for the moment . . .

In another sense you are respecting your own sense of the sacred. A form of self cherishing . . . :wave:
    Chazcptshrk
  • Why do you believe in the existence of gods?

I don't. But it took me a long, long time to get to this point in my dis/belief... but I'm here. Everything is still OK, too. Earth still rotating, sun still shining, seasons still changing on time, (well, mostly!) and it all keeps on going on...
    :D
    cptshrk
  • lobster said:

Incidentally, I personally find the OP—especially the subject title—to be irreverent.
    How would you know what to revere, without irreverence . . . as your personal god might say . . .

In the sense you mean it, I am irreverent, arrogant even. Maybe I will call for some form of adulation . . . Nope, not for the moment . . .

In another sense you are respecting your own sense of the sacred. A form of self cherishing . . . :wave:

That's like saying: "How would you know compassion without first being cruel (the opposite of compassion in Buddhism)?" :cool:
  • Why do you believe in the existence of gods?

I don't. But it took me a long, long time to get to this point in my dis/belief... but I'm here. Everything is still OK, too. Earth still rotating, sun still shining, seasons still changing on time, (well, mostly!) and it all keeps on going on...
    The ancient Egyptians knew that Ra the Sun God was real because everyday they prayed to him and the Sun returned because of their prayers.

. . . we try to understand the absence . . .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocaust_theology

Sometime we find the emptiness of presence

eventually we may bow to the sun again . . .

Would you worship a deity that did not exist. Me? Yep.
    No problem yay or nay.

OM MANI PEME HUM
    as one might say to a lotus . . .

:wave: