Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

countdown to death

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
Passed along in email this morning ... a watch that tabulates(?) the precise moment of your death.
'The occurrence of death is no surprise to anyone, but in our modern society we rarely talk about it. I think that if we were more aware of our own expiration I’m sure we’d make better choices while we are alive.'

Obvious questions include "What would you do if you knew?" But it also occurs to me, "What would you know if you knew it?"

Comments

• Ha! This reminds me of the old joke about my watch having a lifetime guarantee - when it stops working the main spring rebounds and slashes my wrist.
    YishaiInvincible_summer
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited October 2013
    Self fulfilling prophecy anyone?

Looks smashing but I always hated that weird smell on my wrist when I'd take a watch off at night as a kid.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
    Nirvana
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2013
    Trade in watch for barefoot manifesto

:wave:
    Bunks
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    My cheater senses tell me that the time on any watch can be set either 'forward' or 'backwards'.
    riverflowKundo
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    How would it calculate the precise moment of your death?

Seems like some ground-breaking technology that could do much good elsewhere.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    I like the idea. I don't need a watch yet though, but if I do, I'll might get one.
  • Reminds me of this Moody Blues song....

22,000 days
    22,000 days
    it's not alot
    it's all you got
    22,000 days...
  • Does it have a memory for all my past lives too?
    Kundo
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    http://www.death-clock.org/

A computer version
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    I do know. I know I'm going to die.
    Could be ANY minute. Could be any day.

I'm here now. That's what I'm learning to work
    with. A watch? Well...I got a ticker right in my chest....
    and It's a steady reminder. Tired of your breath?.....focus on
    what separates you from the dead......a heartbeat.
    riverflowKundoTheswingisyellow
  • You can also get the free apps for you iphone or android phone, that way you can carry your death with you where ever you go.
    riverflow
    Don't trust these things too much, even though they are interesting.

One of the online sites told me I was already dead!
    riverflowTosh
  • vinlyn said:

Ha! Thought as much! :p
    vinlyn
    edited October 2013
    poptart said:

vinlyn said:

Ha! Thought as much! :p
    Or I may just have passed over into another realm! (Higher, of course).
    riverflowpoptart
  • Faith in a watch is no use without good works
    Kundoriverflow
  • genkaku said:

Passed along in email this morning ... a watch that tabulates(?) the precise moment of your death.

'The occurrence of death is no surprise to anyone, but in our modern society we rarely talk about it. I think that if we were more aware of our own expiration I’m sure we’d make better choices while we are alive.'

Obvious questions include "What would you do if you knew?" But it also occurs to me, "What would you know if you knew it?"

I suppose I would stop asking: Why must I be in such a grand plan - to be born to die?