Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What Is The Buddhist Anti-dote for Jealousy

What practice would help with dealing with jealousy?

Comments

• Cessation of attachment to the object you envy.
    EvenThirdDandelionKundoEnriqueSpain
  • I really would like to know about this too. I suffer from intense jealousy myself and sometimes I feel so helpless. But every time I ask, "Who is jealous?" there is some relief. I realize it is the ego playing games. Of course, not a permanent solution but at least one knows where the ego can hide.
    Kundo
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

What practice would help with dealing with jealousy?

Traditionally, the cultivation of mudita or sympathetic joy is said to help with jealousy.
    EvenThirdriverflowEnigmaEnriqueSpain
  • 'He insulted me, hit me, beat me, robbed me' -- for those who brood on this, hostility isn't stilled. 'He insulted me, hit me, beat me, robbed me' -- for those who don't brood on this, hostility is stilled. Hostilities aren't stilled through hostility, regardless. Hostilities are stilled through non-hostility: this, an unending truth. Unlike those who don't realize that we're here on the verge of perishing, those who do: their quarrels are stilled.
    Dhammapada

EnriqueSpain
  • jealousy/envy (issa) comes from derogation (makko)

just think about what good things he/she has done for you or for others
    surely you can find at least one good thing s/he has done
    then
    jealousy would vanish
  • Yidam practice
    Start with something semi wrathful such as Guru Rinpoche, during the generation phase visualise jealousy leaving, replaced by loving kindness.
    Or go visit a pureland
    riverflow
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    lobster said:

Yidam practice
    Start with something semi wrathful such as Guru Rinpoche, during the generation phase visualise jealousy leaving, replaced by loving kindness.
    Or go visit a pureland

Recommending Yidam or wrathful diety practice to someone, who probably doesn't have permission, training, guidance or the requisite practices to undertake such practice really isn't a very good idea.

@OP: Unless you have permission, instruction and guidance from a qualified teacher, don't mess around with Yidam practice.

Probably the best thing you can do is just plain, old, meditation practice. Whatever you know how to do will be fine. If you know Tonglen, do that. If not, Shamatha, Meta, Vipassyana ........

riverflowJeffreyEnriqueSpain
  • ysmaelysmael Explorer
    trust and confidence to oneself :thumbsup:
    riverflowVastmindEnriqueSpain
  • The Buddha taught openly. Here are some further practices. You will find these practices are available on any browser.
    http://www.tsemrinpoche.com/tsem-tulku-rinpoche/prayers-and-sadhanas/sadhana-prayers.html

Once again I would recommend a semi wrathful practice, such as Guru Rinpoche, which is suitable for novices, intermediary and advanced practitioners.
    http://www.quietmountain.org/links/teachings/7_Line_Prayer_To_Guru_Rinpoche/7lnpryr.htm

Just so you appreciate: Beginner practices such as Guru Rinpoche can be done by everyone. The more powerful practices have quicker results, if you like the karma ripens much faster and this is why guidance and protection of a teacher is recommended.

Let us know what works for you :wave:
    lobster said:

The Buddha taught openly.

True, but irrelevant.
    Here are some further practices. You will find these practices are available on any browser.
    http://www.tsemrinpoche.com/tsem-tulku-rinpoche/prayers-and-sadhanas/sadhana-prayers.html
    And there's even a Vajrayogini "prayer" in there, but that isn't, strictly speaking a "Yidam Practice". That is something quite different and requires initiation and prerequisite practice. As such, "Yidam Practice" is not siomething you or I shoulc be recommended.
    Once again I would recommend a semi wrathful practice, such as Guru Rinpoche, which is suitable for novices, intermediary and advanced practitioners.
    http://www.quietmountain.org/links/teachings/7_Line_Prayer_To_Guru_Rinpoche/7lnpryr.htm
    Not a bad practice, but this is a supplication for practice support. I'm not sure it will directly address something like jealousy. That said, it's good practice for anyone with a connection to Tibetan Buddhism, especially Nyingma.
    Just so you appreciate: Beginner practices such as Guru Rinpoche can be done by everyone. The more powerful practices have quicker results, if you like the karma ripens much faster and this is why guidance and protection of a teacher is recommended.
    The "more powerful" practices also have karmic pitfalls if done incorrectly. That's why proper instruction and guidance is so important - something niether you or I can give.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    The practice of looking deeply.

What are you jealous of?
    Who are you jealous of?
    Why?
    Chaz
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    non-seperation

Vastmind
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Namaste,

I would second Tonglen. I remember reading about when a very rich man asked the Buddha how he could be less stingy and more giving and compassionate and the Buddha taught him to use Tonglen. He got him to start giving a coin from one hand to another and then progressed with the man imagining his hand was a loved on, from there someone he had neither good or bad feelings for and then finally people he did not like. The teaching ends with the man becoming renowned for his compassion and generosity.

And I can't remember what teaching it is called - sorry :(

In metta,
    Raven
    Chaz
  • The single most effective - if hardest - antidote is the realisation (i.e. making real at a 'gut' level) of our own non-self. Once that is done, there is no longer anyone to be jealous.

Mind you, the advice on compassion reminds me of what Eusebius says about Saint John's last sermons. Carried on a litter into meetings, the centenarian evangelist would only say: "My little children, love one another. When that is done, all is done."
  • Jealosy is doubting someone's commitment while wanting that commitment.

Are there grounds for such doubting in your particular case?

What is the commitment worth to you?

If you are clear on those two answers, you won't need an "antidote".
    riverflow
  • pegembara said:

'He insulted me, hit me, beat me, robbed me' -- for those who brood on this, hostility isn't stilled. 'He insulted me, hit me, beat me, robbed me' -- for those who don't brood on this, hostility is stilled. Hostilities aren't stilled through hostility, regardless. Hostilities are stilled through non-hostility: this, an unending truth. Unlike those who don't realize that we're here on the verge of perishing, those who do: their quarrels are stilled.
    Dhammapada

Wonderful advice first, from Dhammapada! Also great quote later, inside cool frame!! so truthful!

• jealousy can be remedied by equinimity. You are ok losing. Just a feeling. Return to the outbreath.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I have never been able to fully control the feeling of emotion, but I have been able to fully control how I act about such feelings...and I do that through being mindful.
    riverflowInvincible_summerbetaboyBunks
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    vinlyn said:

I have never been able to fully control the feeling of emotion, but I have been able to fully control how I act about such feelings...and I do that through being mindful.

I think this point that @vinlyn has brought up is pretty important. It's not always about stifling or ceasing certain feelings, but rather acknowledging that they exist and dealing with them appropriately, using the 8FP.
    Jeffreyriverflow
    edited October 2013

vinlyn said:

I think this point that @vinlyn has brought up is pretty important. It's not always about stifling or ceasing certain feelings, but rather acknowledging that they exist and dealing with them appropriately, using the 8FP.
    Describe for me how you deal with jealousy using the 8FP.

You experience jealousy, recognizing it as such, you ....... take it from there!
  • The problem is, most of time the feeling just comes over you like a mighty wave - you may not have the time or (proper balance) to be mindful. So maybe some sort of rationalization may work - that is, convincing ourselves that what will be, will be, it is god's will, etc. etc.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Chaz said:

vinlyn said:

You experience jealousy, recognizing it as such, you ....... take it from there!
    This is a pretty shallow explanation, but basically:

Recognizing jealousy as jealousy and then understanding it as impermanent and a cause of suffering is part of Right View.

You could enact Right Intention and Right Effort by being determined not to give into any negative actions that may result from jealousy. Being aware of how you are acting due to jealousy arising is Right Mindfulness. Right Action, Speech, Livelihood are fairly straight-forward - don't do anything out of jealousy that you may regret.

Right Concentration is a bit tricky, but I suppose you could be sincere in your meditation practice to cultivate strength to face the hindrances.

riverflowJeffrey

Chaz said:

vinlyn said:

This is a pretty shallow explanation, but basically:

Recognizing jealousy as jealousy and then understanding it as impermanent and a cause of suffering is part of Right View.

You could enact Right Intention and Right Effort by being determined not to give into any negative actions that may result from jealousy. Being aware of how you are acting due to jealousy arising is Right Mindfulness. Right Action, Speech, Livelihood are fairly straight-forward - don't do anything out of jealousy that you may regret.

Right Concentration is a bit tricky, but I suppose you could be sincere in your meditation practice to cultivate strength to face the hindrances.

Sounds good - probably the best explanation of applying the 8FP to a problem I've ever heard.

Wouldn't be simpler to simply acknowledge the jealous thoughts/feelings as they arise and then simply let them go as mindfulness teachers instruct?
    JeffreyInvincible_summer
  • What practice would help with dealing with jealousy?

Try not being jealous in the first place.
  • Namaste,

I would second Tonglen. I remember reading about when a very rich man asked the Buddha how he could be less stingy and more giving and compassionate and the Buddha taught him to use Tonglen. He got him to start giving a coin from one hand to another and then progressed with the man imagining his hand was a loved on, from there someone he had neither good or bad feelings for and then finally people he did not like. The teaching ends with the man becoming renowned for his compassion and generosity.

And I can't remember what teaching it is called - sorry :(

In metta,
    Raven

sounds like the practice of humble compassion to me!
    Chaz said:

Sounds good - probably the best explanation of applying the 8FP to a problem I've ever heard.

Wouldn't be simpler to simply acknowledge the jealous thoughts/feelings as they arise and then simply let them go as mindfulness teachers instruct?

Thanks, I try. :p

You could just "let them go," a la mindfulness meditation, but not everyone practices that style of meditation. Plus, "letting go" is a fairly abstract concept that doesn't have a clear path of execution, whereas I feel the 8FP is more concrete and applicable to all meditation practices.
    riverflowVastmind
  • The antidote for jealousy....that's easy...its

to have the full measure of whatever you desire...for eternity.

Bawhahahah