Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Would you like to be rich?

Comments

• No desire to be rich for my own sake, but it would be wonderful to be able to donate thousands and thousands to charity if I had that kind of money.
  • footiamfootiam Veteran

footiam said:

Debt would not give you peace of mind, would it?

I do not allow it to *not* give me peace of mind. I just deal with it. It's just 'there'. I do not allow it to control whether my mind is at peace or not. Is it easier not having debt? Sure! But it doesn't define me. That's the point I was trying to make. It's just money (or in this case 'lack-thereof'). I could win the lottery tomorrow and still end up in debt again next week. Things are always changing. Nothing is promised to us. And as I said, the debt arose from poor decisions I made (i.e. karma). I just deal with it and try to learn to do better and stay responsible for my actions. That's about all we can do! :)
    It seems that you are in charge of your life. That's great!

• I've ranged from upper poverty (briefly) to as high as middle of the middle class. This is all I my time living with my parents (whole life so far). My own personal funds have been absolute crap at times, often due to my own recklessness and impulsiveness (which in part could be contributed to my then undiagnosed bipolar disorder)

I would love to be a multi-millionaire, and it sure would be great to be a billionaire, assuming I don't hurt anyone in the process. Won't know till it happens though.

With the way I live my life, I don't see any fair amounts of wealth coming to me in my lifetime. For better or for worse.

TL;DR - Yes.
  • footiam said:

Debt would not give you peace of mind, would it?

I do not allow it to *not* give me peace of mind. I just deal with it. It's just 'there'. I do not allow it to control whether my mind is at peace or not. Is it easier not having debt? Sure! But it doesn't define me. That's the point I was trying to make. It's just money (or in this case 'lack-thereof'). I could win the lottery tomorrow and still end up in debt again next week. Things are always changing. Nothing is promised to us. And as I said, the debt arose from poor decisions I made (i.e. karma). I just deal with it and try to learn to do better and stay responsible for my actions. That's about all we can do! :)
    I am familiar with this feeling. Probably not for the best or same reasons. I made a series of bad financial decisions, that while did bring some satisfaction (that I still enjoy a bit), I'm in like $6k debt not counting school loans. It mentally wrecked me (and my credit) at first. Was part of a number of things that led to the worst depression of my life, which peaked only 7 months ago. My coping mechanism to this day (although it's needed less) is to damn near pretend that the debt doesn't exist. I can't pay it, (I could probably pay a little bit if I tried). I just talk about it like it's no big deal or that it's like owing a close friend $5. A terrible way of doing things, but it's my terrible way of coping.

I definitely could've kept that shorter, but I wanted to type that out for some reason.
  • Yes, I would.

I just don't like to work hard for it. I don't want friends to be jealous. I don't want it taken away by the government, greedy relatives, thieves and investment bankers. I don't want people to be friendly to me for the sake of my money. I also don't want people wanting to show off that they are richer than I am when they know that I have money. I don't want to be always watching over my shoulder in case someone wants to ransom me and those that I love. I hate to lose my freedom to travel freely without being hastled.

It sure beats being in debt.
    Invincible_summerSillyPutty
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    You want to be . . . something?
    You are poor.
    You accept.
    You are rich beyond wanting . . .
    If that is wealth . . . you can have it all . . . :om:
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    pegembara said:

Yes, I would.

I just don't like to work hard for it. I don't want friends to be jealous. I don't want it taken away by the government, greedy relatives, thieves and investment bankers. I don't want people to be friendly to me for the sake of my money. I also don't want people wanting to show off that they are richer than I am when they know that I have money. I don't want to be always watching over my shoulder in case someone wants to ransom me and those that I love. I hate to lose my freedom to travel freely without being hastled.

It sure beats being in debt.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Sounds like some big disadvantages to the rich.
  • Capitalism gone wild!!!!!! You got to love it! Spreading globally, advertised every moment of the day. "Acquire wealth"..... and so it goes that it is OK to follow the Buddhas path and gather wealth, and pay 1/3 of your taxes to kill people ( defense budget ).
    riverflow
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    wondering said:

Capitalism gone wild!!!!!! You got to love it! Spreading globally, advertised every moment of the day. "Acquire wealth"..... and so it goes that it is OK to follow the Buddhas path and gather wealth, and pay 1/3 of your taxes to kill people ( defense budget ).

@wondering - that's a very narrow look at defense. As a non American, I don't know the totality of all the woes of your Defence Force. But to blanket label the Defence and therefore all involved in at as killing people is a bit extreme. I understand the sentiment, but you have to realise it's a global issue. If it weren't, your Twin Towers would still be standing. The scary thing is, those who committed that act, have the mindset that ALL of them are soldiers eradicating "the enemy".

Don't blame them all, blame the decision makers who instigate the acts. If you must place blame at all.

In metta,
    Raven
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • Don't blame them all, blame the decision makers who instigate the acts. If you must place blame at all.

^^^ This is important to remember. If there is a problem, it lies not with individuals in the military, but the politicians who often use the military not for "defense," but for furthering their own political gains (often in collusion with corporations).

The sad thing is that in order to keep the machine going, it requires more tax dollars to go toward the military than any other country in the world. But this is hardly the fault of those in the military.

• wondering said:

Capitalism gone wild!!!!!! You got to love it! Spreading globally, advertised every moment of the day. "Acquire wealth"..... and so it goes that it is OK to follow the Buddhas path and gather wealth, and pay 1/3 of your taxes to kill people ( defense budget ).

@wondering - that's a very narrow look at defense. As a non American, I don't know the totality of all the woes of your Defence Force. But to blanket label the Defence and therefore all involved in at as killing people is a bit extreme. I understand the sentiment, but you have to realise it's a global issue. If it weren't, your Twin Towers would still be standing. The scary thing is, those who committed that act, have the mindset that ALL of them are soldiers eradicating "the enemy".

Don't blame them all, blame the decision makers who instigate the acts. If you must place blame at all.

In metta,
    Raven
    Sorry, this country is not a democracy any longer....it is a plutocracy, run by the wealthy 1%, and knee deep in foreign wars. It is happening now globally. The gap between the haves and have nots is growing wider as we discuss this. Anyone who pays taxes in this country is directly supporting the killing of innocent women and children. No excuses on this one. I don't agree with your view at all about defense is necessary. Neither would any compassionate being.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I have been poor, and now am wealthy.
    I was far more attached to money when I was poor....fact.
    Invincible_summerjayne
  • CheChe Veteran
    Rich is perception I suppose. Reminds me of a story of a Jewish man who had fallen off his bicycle and badly injured himself. He was lying on the pavement when an off duty nurse rolled her coat up, put it under his head and said "are you comfortable?"
    The Jewish man shrugged his shoulders (as Jewish people do) and said "I make a living"
    rivercanelobsterInvincible_summer
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    I may be very alone in this...

I know a number of Jewish people and though this doesn't make me any authority, I have to say that the people I've met seem as any other - I can't place my finger on something specifically Jewish about them.
    I have not observed a 'Jewish shrug'.
    The joke seems to play on the stereotypical Jewish (over)work / money ethic - hence it seems even when the chap is badly injured, his first response is to talk of money / work.
    Kundo
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    wondering said:

wondering said:

In metta,
    Raven
    Sorry, this country is not a democracy any longer....it is a plutocracy, run by the wealthy 1%, and knee deep in foreign wars. It is happening now globally. The gap between the haves and have nots is growing wider as we discuss this. Anyone who pays taxes in this country is directly supporting the killing of innocent women and children. No excuses on this one. I don't agree with your view at all about defense is necessary. Neither would any compassionate being.
    www.buddhistmiltarysangha.blogspot.com/

Wouldn't it be easy if life were black and white.
    riverflowKundo
  • CheChe Veteran
    Zero, you have zero sense of humour, it's a verrry old joke, I heard it in the 70s.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Zero said:

I may be very alone in this...
    I have not observed a 'Jewish shrug'.

Oy [shrugs] . . . you have to practice . . .
    http://www.jewishhumorcentral.com/2010/07/classic-yiddishe-workout-featuring.html

CheriverflowKundo
  • CheChe Veteran
    "Vaiiiiiiid a minute!!" :clap:
  • Citta said:

wondering said:

wondering said:

In metta,
    Raven
    www.buddhistmiltarysangha.blogspot.com/

Wouldn't it be easy if life were black and white.
    It is not black or white, it is what it is, and we are but dust.....in 10,000 years these discussions will be nothing...so they are nothing now. It takes great courage to live and act with compassion. I find only excuses by the religious people to continue to make war and give their money to a government that kills innocent people. That is cowardice.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Cowardice it seems to me, is to live in a first world country with all of the advantages and disadvantages that brings ,while relying on others to defend that way of life...and then despising them.
    Rather like the Tibetans in pre-invasion Tibet who relied on Muslim immigrants to do the slaughtering of animals and who then forced those Muslims to live in a ghetto because they were 'unclean.'
    riverflow
  • I used to be rich.
    Now I am poor.
    I am much wealthier.
    rivercaneCheriverflow
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I used to be poor
    Now I am rich.
    I am much wealthier...and so are many others in my circle.
    Money does not make for an absence of dukkha.
    But neither does poverty.
    So if you have a choice choose dukkha and money over dukkha and poverty.
    That's my recommendation.

pegembara
  • Citta said:

I used to be poor
    Now I am rich.

I disagree.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2013
    That's your choice. Personally I am quite comfortable with money...and if I had it all stolen tomorrow that's OK too.
    The funny thing is I had very little money until I stopped caring about it. I raised two children on a med students pay..then it flooded in.
    I still don't care about it.
    As one of the old Dzogchen teachers said 'its like licking honey off a razor, it can be done... with care .'
    Kundo
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Money can't buy happiness.
    but then, neither can poverty.

It can bring happiness to others though, administered skilfully.

I'd love to be rich, if only to have the wonderful privilege or choice of being able to share, and give freely.
  • The Beatles - Money Can't buy me Love

"Can't buy me love, love
    Can't buy me love

I'll buy you a diamond ring my friend
    If it makes you feel all right
    I'll get you anything my friend
    If it makes you feel all right
    Cause I don't care too much for money
    For money can't buy me love

I'll give you all I've got to give
    If you say you love me too
    I may not have a lot to give
    But what I've got I'll give to you
    I don't care too much for money

Can't buy me love
    Everybody tells me so
    Can't buy me love
    No, no, no, no

Say you don't need no diamond ring
    And I'll be satisfied
    Tell me that you want those kind of things
    That money just can't buy

Can't buy me love
    Everybody tells me so
    Can't buy me love
    No, no, no, no

Say you don't need no diamond ring
    And I'll be satisfied
    Tell me that you want those kind of things
    That money just can't buy
    Cause money can't buy me love
    Oh, can't buy me love, love
    Can't buy me love, no"
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Written by multi-millionaire Paul McCartney.
    John_SpencerInvincible_summerKundo
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Citta said:

I used to be poor
    Now I am rich.

I disagree as well ( @John_Spencer ).

I grew up in a wealthy family. However, we were very down-to-earth and in no way stuck up or money-obsessed like many of the people in our neighborhood. As a matter of fact, you'd want to give my father (the earner) money if you saw him on the street... he was very humble in his appearance, and always quite giving/generous. However, my parents, albeit very good in providing the basics (home, food, clothing, etc.), they were very poor in terms of being a true parent emotionally speaking. I may have grown up with no financial worries whatsoever, but I always envied those individuals who were poor but had moms and dads who weren't emotionally absent and abusive.

Now that I'm an adult, I would be considered by others to be "poor" since I am in debt and my bank account balance is non-existent. However, even with that weight on my shoulders, I still have my down-to-earth approach to money. I figure if things truly go to hell and I'm homeless, I could always go live with the nuns. :om: I've just accepted that, as long as I try my hardest, stay responsible, and keep trying to purify my bad karma, that's all I can do. If poverty kicks my ass, then I just have to suck it up and deal with it.

The funny thing is, however, no matter how much debt I have or how penniless my bank account is, I always have enough to get by and live a very comfortable life. (Personally, I choose to live a very spartan lifestyle.) I am quite grateful for that and feel extremely blessed. I think this is because I am trying to focus my life on finding meaning and that compassion that I was denied as a child/teenager/young adult. To me, that is worth more than any winning lottery ticket. There are people out there not knowing where their next meal is coming from, but they are strong, loving, independent, compassionate spirits that make due with their circumstance and never complain and never desire "more." I admire that and realize that they are an excellent example that money and resources truly have zero to do with one's happiness or comfort level. It's all an illusion.

So is dukkha and money better than dukkha and poverty? Nope. Suffering is suffering, plain and simple. The fact that you think money helps to alleviate any of the suffering, again, is merely an illusion. The good times, the bad times... they're all the same thing.

John_Spencer
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Which reminds me of one of my favourite video moments.
    John Lennon is seated at a Steinway Grand piano in a white suit. Yoko also in a white suit is gazing adoringly at him.
    They are in the ballroom of the enormous mansion in one of the poshest towns in one of the poshest areas of England, that they owned before moving to N.Y.
    He opens his mouth..

" Imagine no possessions " he warbles... :)
    Che
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @I_AM_THAT,

no link. doesn't work.....
    Citta said:

Written by multi-millionaire Paul McCartney.

When he had no money....

And now he HAS money, he sees how right he was.
    CittaSillyPuttyJohn_SpencerInvincible_summer
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Yes. John Lennon with an estimate $800,000,000 wealth singing "imagine no possessions". As Dean Martin once said, "It's just singin'."
  • Citta said:

Which reminds me of one of my favourite video moments.
    John Lennon is seated at a Steinway Grand piano in a white suit. Yoko also in a white suit is gazing adoringly at him.
    They are in the ballroom of the enormous mansion in one of the poshest towns in one of the poshest areas of England, that they owned before moving to N.Y.
    He opens his mouth..

" Imagine no possessions " he warbles... :)

Well, to be fair, they were entertainers. That's part of the whole illusion of fame. You dress the part. It's like a surgeon wearing his scrubs. You just have to, really. Doesn't mean the emotion or the message of the song is hypocritical or meaningless. If you think it is, then I think we should re-open your Trungpa thread.... :lol:
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I yield.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but what does the above cartoon have to do with being wealthy?
    There is nothing wrong with being wealthy/impoverished/comfortable/cautious providing one applies pecuniary wisdom to one's own financial status.
    CittaCheInvincible_summer
  • Citta said:

I have been poor, and now am wealthy.
    I was far more attached to money when I was poor....fact.

My experience is vice-versa.

SillyPutty
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    A story from one of my mentors...He had two men in therapy from the same town.
    One was raised in a very extreme Evangelical household. The other was raised in an orphanage and by the age of 18 was a heavy drinker.
    My mentor realised when he compared notes that on the very same day the first man had his first ever beer...and the second man made a firm resolution to give up alcohol..and in both cases these apparently opposite actions were life-enhancing for the individual concerned.

Its not always the thing in itself. Its the context and what we cling to.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited June 2013
    I'm TOTALLY with @MaryAnne! Being rich would allow you to do so much for humanity! Money is just a tool. You can use it for good, for bad, for self-indulgence, or to catapult humanity forward. It's a precious tool that, when managed by a good heart, can do much to end suffering in the world.
    CittaChepegembarajayne
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Monetary richness is a comparison with what?.
    Friends, family, neighbours, acquaintances, peer groups, country men, some world average?

I think this question is actually, "Would you like more material control over your world?"

Yes I would but in my Buddhist practise "Like" is more small change.
    riverflowEvenThird
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Dakini said:

I'm TOTALLY with @MaryAnne! Being rich would allow you to do so much for humanity! Money is just a tool. You can use it for good, for bad, for self-indulgence, or to catapult humanity forward. It's a precious tool that, when managed by a good heart, can do much to end suffering in the world.

I was just about to post all the great things Bill and Melinda Gates have done. They are wonderful, generous, thoughtful individuals who set a great example of how to enjoy your wealth *as well as* help out those in need. They have a good balance and I respect them and their efforts greatly.

I, on the other hand, could not and would not want the responsibility of all of that money. Not everyone can manage foundations and charities and the sort in a successful manner. I say to myself, "I'd do X,Y,Z if I had that kind of money and help the world," but in reality, would I really have the brains to do so? I definitely have the heart, as do so many other people, but when push comes to shove, would we really be able to execute what needs to be done as efficiently and effectively as someone like Bill and Melinda Gates?... Some of you, yes. But for me? I'm more of a workhorse. :)

My theory? Everyone has the monetary wealth they have for a reason. Like MaryAnne said, money is a great tool. But I think it's more than a tool to build hospitals and fund cancer research. I think the greatest value in the tool of money is to teach us lessons about happiness and life. Some people win the lottery and realize they're still miserable. The money (tool) served its purpose and showed those people what really matters (hopefully). Some people are dirt poor and always struggling to make ends meet. The money (tool) served its purpose by hopefully helping those individuals how to have gratitude for what they *do* have, even if it's as simple as being able to wake up in the morning and possess a healthy body to be able to go to work. So that's how I see money as a tool. Paying off mortgages and making someone's life a bit financially easier is a great thing, but what's even greater are the life lessons we end up realizing.
    riverflow
  • Siddartha was rich but the Buddha was poor.

That's a good example.
    Dakini
  • My theory? Everyone has the monetary wealth they have for a reason. Like MaryAnne said, money is a great tool. But I think it's more than a tool to build hospitals and fund cancer research. I think the greatest value in the tool of money is to teach us lessons about happiness and life.

I've been saving money for the past few years with the intention of moving out of the country, but it doesn't look like that may no longer be in the works after all these years. Oddly, I'm not heartbroken about this, being tired of all the years of striving for something that was only giving me more stress. Part of me knew this was coming, so I wasn't unprepared for this (a couple years ago I would be terribly upset!).

I'm hardly rich, but because I have such very low "overhead" and pretty good pay, I can easily sock back a lot of money. I'm thankful too that I am staying in this position-- I have a new boss who has helped ease some work stress off me, so I can continue in my position at the hospital.

I won't say all of what I have done in the past few weeks because it would seem too much like bragging, but let's just say I have been a lot more generous with my money lately in very spontaneous ways that have surprised me. I'm not tossing cash out willy nilly to folks--I'm still sensible about my money and I still have plenty in savings, but I live a simple life. Sure, I spend money on myself for pleasurable things (occasional music, books, tea and pizza especially), but I feel less reason to hold onto my money so tightly too.

It's just money, big deal. Thoreau is someone I've always held in high regard. I'm single, I've got a roof over my head, an old beat up truck that somehow still runs, and still a good financial cushion. I don't need too much to be happy myself. My priorities are shifting. I'm even unlearning that "I hate the South" mentality that used to eat me up. The local monastery has helped me so much... or maybe I'm just getting old haha

I've been reflecting a lot on the prostrations we do, and reading some others' thoughts here on prostrations. Who exactly am I prostrating to? Can I be a "bridge" for others to cross over in some small way? Maybe prostrating to Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, is at the same time a symbolic bridge for others who could use some small measure of help? Can I be a bridge? Isn't that what a bodhisattva is, after all?

Just some rambling thoughts... I don't really know. But this has been on my mind the past few weeks... I suppose there is some relevance somewhere in this post to this thread! haha
    SillyPuttyEvenThird
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    kashi said:

No desire to be rich for my own sake, but it would be wonderful to be able to donate thousands and thousands to charity if I had that kind of money.

Since we all don't have that kind of money, let's be rich spiritually. One does not have to donate in cash.

riverflow
  • I've ranged from upper poverty (briefly) to as high as middle of the middle class. This is all I my time living with my parents (whole life so far). My own personal funds have been absolute crap at times, often due to my own recklessness and impulsiveness (which in part could be contributed to my then undiagnosed bipolar disorder)

I would love to be a multi-millionaire, and it sure would be great to be a billionaire, assuming I don't hurt anyone in the process. Won't know till it happens though.

With the way I live my life, I don't see any fair amounts of wealth coming to me in my lifetime. For better or for worse.

TL;DR - Yes.

If we have experience poverty, we would want to be rich.
  • MaryAnne said:

I would love to be rich... but magically rich.
    I would not want to come by my riches by way of using others' blood sweat and tears while I reap the benefits (like a useless overpaid CEO).

But if I could wake up tomorrow and have about 20 million in the bank, it would be wonderful!! I LOVE helping people. I would share with everyone in my family, I would share with a few choice friends, I would give big $$ to some really worthy charities and medical institutions.
    I would set aside 1million for myself and my husband to take us through our old age, and the rest would be spent as mentioned above. It would be the same if I won the lottery for 2 million or 200 million! A million in the bank for us- the rest well spent on others.

This is my attitude. I used to have the ol' 'money is evil' attitude, but now i'm secure in my motivations I am happy to have as much money as life gives me without compromising myself to gain it. The more I have, the more I can help, simple as.
    jayne
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    edited October 2013

MaryAnne said:

I would love to be rich... but magically rich.
    I would not want to come by my riches by way of using others' blood sweat and tears while I reap the benefits (like a useless overpaid CEO).

But if I could wake up tomorrow and have about 20 million in the bank, it would be wonderful!! I LOVE helping people. I would share with everyone in my family, I would share with a few choice friends, I would give big $$ to some really worthy charities and medical institutions.
    I would set aside 1million for myself and my husband to take us through our old age, and the rest would be spent as mentioned above. It would be the same if I won the lottery for 2 million or 200 million! A million in the bank for us- the rest well spent on others.

This is my attitude. I used to have the ol' 'money is evil' attitude, but now i'm secure in my motivations I am happy to have as much money as life gives me without compromising myself to gain it. The more I have, the more I can help, simple as.
    I just read in this forum somewhere that Buddhist temple especially those with a big portion of Chinese in it, focus on money. The more money there is, the more you can help. I suppose that's it. It also reminds me of Taiwan's Tzu Chi.

riverflow
  • <3 Cheng Yen!!!!!