Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Vajrayana Buddhism The Diamond Way ???

Went to a meeting with this guys . Was pretty keen to find a meditating sangha i could join . Seemed a bit strange nothing like Buddhism as I have known it . Lots of talk really fast so you couldnt get the complicated philosophical or even get a word in edgeways . Strange als because after watching a few u tube vids about the leader of the group the leader of the class sounded really like a clone Only 5 paltry minues of meditation imagining coloured lights coming out of a buddha into you .Can this be a genuine Bhuddhist path ???

Comments

• I should say the people were really nice and welcoming and that Vaj Budhism I dont really know much at all about .Is there a big jump from The other schools .?Seemed that the sila wasnt so important and thats something the others always stressed . Anyone with any experience with this ?
  • EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    I went to weekly meetups with a vajrayana buddhist sangha for a few months, it was a small, kind group of people, and our meditation sessions took up at least 45 minutes if not longer. There was also a good amount of visualization and chanting. There was a variety of meditation techniques presented, even when the same person conducted the meditation for the month.
    So... my experiences involving the sangha were positive. There was no obligation to stay longer than you wanted to or to do something you weren't comfortable with. They were always very open to questions with lots of opportunities to ask.

My two cents is that it might not have as much to do with the type of practice, as the type of people involved.
  • Anyone with any experience with this?
    A diamond way centre opened quite near to me. Did some research, looked at what they were about, decided it was not for me. I am spoiled for Dharma choice. Vajrayana is popular and inevitably leads in the same direction but in a rather dramatic manner.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ole_Nydahl

:wave:
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    klmeer said:

I should say the people were really nice and welcoming and that Vaj Budhism I dont really know much at all about .Is there a big jump from The other schools .?Seemed that the sila wasnt so important and thats something the others always stressed . Anyone with any experience with this ?

With Vajrayana, yes. Nydhal's group, no.

The group I affiliate with does straight-up Shamatha, Vipassana and Tonglen and devlopes into either mahamudra or Dzogchen. We meditate a lot.

In the case of Sila, the underlying thought seems to be Sila, etc. arises spontaneously from practice. Contrivances are to be avoided. IOW, you don't "try" to be moral. You practice in a way where moral conduct will manfiest naturally.

Another group that might offer more in the way of practice is a Shambhala center if there's one close by. Excellent meditation instruction and plenty of opportunities for practice.
  • JoyfulGirlJoyfulGirl Veteran
    edited October 2013
    My two cents: do some research on them.

"Them" being ....... ??

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    There is a local Vajrayana sangha near me that I went to for a time. I never got a weird vibe from them, all in all pretty easy going. Its focus just was not my cup of soup. I am more straight up 4NT's, N8, dukkha, annata, annica kind of guy. Each to his own, I think the practice could be very beneficial, it's just how your inclined.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Chaz said:

"Them" being ....... ??
    They them, you know... THEM!! :D
    Chaz
  • My two cents: do some research on them.

i obviously meant diamond way buddhism because that was the center the thread starter had visited...............

• This is part of my research on them . One of you is spoiled for choice in dhamma groups .Im starved which is why I went back a second time . Just thought I may have missed something .My basic training has always been in Thai forest style so thta didnt resonate too well with DWB .Of well Keep looking I guess .
    edited October 2013
    Thai Forest, eh? And there isn't a TF group near you? How did you get your training? Living in another town?

Yes, some of us are spoiled by an abundance of choices in sangha. There's 1/2 dz centers within 2 miles of my house that cater to the Vietnamese community here. A little farther away is a Zen center. A Shambhala center is less than 10 miles. There's a TF group, mainly Thai and Cambodians. There's a Kagyu Sangha nearby as well as a Chinese Pure Land group. There's a HUGE Jodo Shinshu center downtown. Then there's Boulder. Boulder has what is perhaps the highest per capita Buddhist demographics in the country - it crawls with Buddhists.

What's funny about this is that I've been shopping for a group to do group practice with. My sangha is in Boulder and that's a bit inconvenient for regular visits. With all the choices I can't decide on where to go.
  • klmeer said:

Went to a meeting with this guys . Was pretty keen to find a meditating sangha i could join . Seemed a bit strange nothing like Buddhism as I have known it . Lots of talk really fast so you couldnt get the complicated philosophical or even get a word in edgeways . Strange als because after watching a few u tube vids about the leader of the group the leader of the class sounded really like a clone Only 5 paltry minues of meditation imagining coloured lights coming out of a buddha into you .Can this be a genuine Bhuddhist path ???

Answer: as valid as any other.

Sounds like the leaders of this particular group need to learn how to conduct an introductory session. There is both a skill and craft to conducting a meeting and you've just described several huge mistakes amateurs often make. Simply ask them if they have something more heavily weighted to meditation and less on selling the brand.

As for people being scared of trying new things and exploring, there's no danger in a group like this. What do you think they're going to do, kidnap you and tie to to a chair and force you to watch videos of the illustrious leader until you're brainwashed? At the most, you'll decide it's not for you, like most of the people who try it out. That's right, these groups know that most new faces will be showing up once or twice and that's it. They're used to it.
    Vastmindriverflow
  • Kind of ironc that Im in a Buddhist country in Asia and theres so much more going on in Canada by the sounds of things . Sorry Boulders got to be USA .
  • chaz No I got my basic training in temples in Thailand where I lived for several years ,not in the temples , just for usually 10 day meditation retreats . Also I feel quite eh blessed or something lucky because it was the right serious traditional teachings ,Buddhadasa south Thailand and I can smell a rat right away with other maybe less investigated offerings . Maybe shouldnt say, that not putting it down and maybe just my arrogance but I do feel that.
    Chaz
    klmeer said:

Sorry Boulders got to be USA .

No, Boulder's a whole different planet :lol:
    riverflow