Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How has practicing buddhism changed your life?

edited October 2013 in General Banter
I am writing an article and would love to speak to people about why they joined, how it has improved their life and outlook and what they have taken from it the most.
EvenThird

Comments

• Mu. That means not a thing. The change is not a thing. It is in the sound behind sound. Have you ever heard the ringing of your ear? New things come and go. And "I don't know". I still feel all of the feelings. And I have unreasonable expectations. I am always hoping meditation will amount to more. More peace. And reasonably this could be true. I have meditated every day for almost a year. I am confident that has or will amount to something. It's like cookies in the cookie jar.
    riverflowcvalue
  • Thankyou Jeffrey
    Jeffrey
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited October 2013
    Joined to get something.
    I was promised no thing.
    Now that dammed meditation has even absconded with that.
    riverflowcvalue
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran
    Buddhism has given me hope when i felt i had none, all my life i was searching for something, anything that would give me a reason to be able to look at myself in the mirror and not feel so insignificant. The hardest part for me was going through life without a sense of purpose

lobstercvalue
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Namaste @georgiamichele,

I have found that I can centre myself a lot better in situations that are stressful. It's also helped me try to be gracious in certain situations when all I want to do is have a massive tantrum. It was invaluable during my marriage breakdown, and my when I was diagnosed with a terminal illness. I'm hoping that I can cultivate equanimity so that when I die, I will not be regretting any actions right up to the last minute.

In metta,
    Raven
    riverflowlobstercvalue
  • I am writing an article and would love to speak to people about why they joined, how it has improved their life and outlook and what they have taken from it the most.

:clap:

I am now completely intolerant of time wasting people who do not practice. Why not practice meditation? Change your life and outlook and get the most from this situation? No? :D

. . . I think I will write an article on Gonzo journalism . . .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzo_journalism

:nyah:

I never joined, never took anything, became very wikid and accidentally became enlightened . . . one of the hazards . . . :screwy:

And now back to the records . . . :wave:
    bookwormcvalue
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    If you want to know how I've changed, how things have improved, what's been gained, you'll have to speak to someone who can be a bit more objective than I can.

I thought I might right some flowery, pretentious nonsense about being calmer, more tolerant, the lower blood pressure, improved outlook and all that stuff, and then thought better of it.

I practice Buddhism ............. because.
    Kundocvalue
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    lobster said:

I am now completely intolerant of time wasting people who do not practice....

Nothing more Buddhist than being "completely intolerant".

lobsterKundocvalue
  • I "joined" because there was a "zen" character on a television show that I thought was so cool. I wanted to be like him, so I started to research Buddhism.

I know it was a silly initiation, but I ended up becoming a radically different person from the one I was seven years ago.

But you know, maybe it really isn't a silly initiation. Look at the parable of the children in the burning house (in the Lotus Sutra), how the father had to entice the children out of the house by promising them beautiful-looking carts. It wasn't until the children finally came out that they realized they were actually getting something even bigger and better than what they had been led to imagine. :)
    misterCopeInvincible_summerNirvanacvalue
    vinlyn said:

lobster said:

....but he did accidentaly become enlightened ...... didn't he?

vinlyncvalue
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I really have no way of answering that question.
    Chazcvalue
  • Chaz said:

vinlyn said:

lobster said:

Well, yes but it wasn't accidental. I remember a whole lot of noise and commotion about his awakening last winter.
    I'm not convinced. I still have a pair of my boxer shorts marinating which I have promised to eat when lobster becomes a Buddha.
  • Are they vegan boxer shorts? Oops wrong thread.

Seriously though I have a lot of faith and devotion that started during my mental breakdown when I turned to Buddhism.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Someone who leads others along the path with their own example is my definition in this moment of enlightenment. Hanging around the bus stop waiting for a ride that best fits ones definition of perfection just says how little interested one is in the journey.
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Honestly? it hasn't. Astronomy and Physics humbled me a lot, and opened me to new ideas on being compassionate, kind, and mindful. I became a Buddhist after that.
    robot said:

Chaz said:

vinlyn said:

lobster said:

Well, yes but it wasn't accidental.
    So it was like Tilopa hitting Naropa on the head with a sandal - serious and on purpose?

Wow!

I've felt all along that Lobster should be gathering students ...... either that, or take more thorazine.
    I remember a whole lot of noise and commotion about his awakening last winter.
    I'm not convinced.
    I sure am, but not that he's enlightened, unless by enlightened you mean having shed 20 pounds of ugly fat or something like that?
    I still have a pair of my boxer shorts marinating which I have promised to eat when lobster becomes a Buddha.
    Don't hold your breath. I think Idi Amin Dada will rise from the dead within a blooming Lotus in Indiana and achieve Buddhahood before you have to keep that promise.

• Just an example, but I was feeling pressure to meditate as I gaze upon all of this forum splatter.

So I said to myself, "why not just be mindful and absorbed in my body without meditating?"

So here I am and I have a good feeling because my body settled. I said to myself that I don't have to have a juicy stimulating activity because I can just as easily rest.
  • Chaz said:

robot said:

Chaz said:

vinlyn said:

lobster said:

Well, yes but it wasn't accidental.
    I still have a pair of my boxer shorts marinating which I have promised to eat when lobster becomes a Buddha.
    Don't hold your breath. I think Idi Amin Dada will rise from the dead within a blooming Lotus in Indiana and achieve Buddhahood before you have to keep that promise.

Damn! Such a waste of garlic and oregano.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited October 2013
    From my internal point of view a 180 degree shift. From materialistic to minimalistic. From self centered, to caring. From rational to spiritual. From the tough guy to the soft guy. From theoretically focused to practically focused. From not all that social to social. From worrying to relaxed. From not in touch with my emotions to knowing my emotions very well. And many things more.

But from the outside perspective probably not that much is noticeable and I just went from a self centered piece of shit to a bit less self centered, bit less smelly piece of shit.
    VastmindInvincible_summercvalue
  • unlike who i was before and everybody I know, I actually feel like I have direction in my life. Most of us are driven to think that our only purpose is a financial related purpose. Our concerns for the future only include financial crisis and relationship issues. But I finally have direction. All I ever wanted was direction.
    SabreKundo
  • my daughter was born almost 4 years ago and it opened up a tenderness and love in my heart that I didn't know was there.
    I'll have what he's having.

Find what you love (joining) Increase in love (practice) 'Don't have a cow, man' (continue . . .)
    . . . and now back to the meditations . . . :wave:
    BunksKundocvalue
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2013
    I remember my dear teacher Geshe Tenzin's one and only instruction: "Be kind." I fail every single day; and try to overcome that failure the next. Just keep trying, and mean it.
    lobsterVastmindcvalue
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    lobster said:

my daughter was born almost 4 years ago and it opened up a tenderness and love in my heart that I didn't know was there.
    I'll have what he's having.

Find what you love (joining) Increase in love (practice) 'Don't have a cow, man' (continue . . .)
    . . . and now back to the meditations . . . :wave:

Thanks @lobster. I wonder how much of an influence the birth of his son had on Gotama leaving home to find the truth?
    Nirvana
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Bunks said:

Thanks @lobster. I wonder how much of an influence the birth of his son had on Gotama leaving home to find the truth?

Namaste @Bunks,

But then again, Gautama wasn't enlightened when he left his son.

That's something I've been mulling over myself.

In metta,
    Raven
    riverflowBunks

• But then again, Gautama wasn't enlightened when he left his son.

That's something I've been mulling over myself.

In metta,
    Raven

Well some would have that the Goatama was after aeons of previous life practice, pretty close to perfect.

Maybe.

Personally I would say he was a conceited, aristocratic, spoiled, immature brat [yep there really is hope for everyone] :p
    The behaviour of the Buddha clearly shows the influence of Goatama (Clark Kent) in his Superman role. He created a posse of spiritual warriors and developed a spiritual kingdom to fight ignorance. His son and wife ended up joining the Sangha . . . and they all lived happily ever after . . . and now back to the First Noble Truth . . .
    Bunks
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited October 2013
    I was once walking down a street in Boston, when a radio reporter shoved a microphone in my face. Was I an only child or did I have brothers and sisters when growing up, she asked. I said I was an only child. And did I think I would have been better off or happier if I had grown up with siblings, she asked.

The question hung in the air like something that made no sense: How could I know if I would have been better off since I had no experience to judge by?

I likewise wonder if things might have turned out differently -- better, worse, richer, poorer, smarter, dumber, more spiritually attuned or less, kinder or meaner ... if I had not taken up Zen practice. If I had not involved myself with Buddhism, would I be a garbage collector or a stock broker or a bank robber or a Playboy bunny or a saint ...?

Since I have no experience to judge by, the question hangs in the air, waiting for the waitress to bring another pitcher of beer so that, with luck, I will get a little drunk and imagine I could answer the question of how Buddhism affected my life. Of course it did, but I cannot -- literally can not -- say how ... except when I'm a little bit drunk.
    Nirvanacvalue
  • vinlyn said:

lobster said:

Did I fail the test again? Tsk, tsk . . . bad crustacean! Maybe I should be incompletely tolerant? Kind to a fault?

:)

Let me know . . . or not . . . if you can tolerate that . . . .
    I am always hoping meditation will amount to more. More peace. And reasonably this could be true. I have meditated every day for almost a year. I am confident that has or will amount to something. It's like cookies in the cookie jar.
    I feel there is tremendous value in that approach. :clap:

We might also say that meditation amounts to less. Less worrying about others condition/suffering/insight. Less ignorance/opinions/additions. Less of less even.

Back to the cookie grasping or letting go?
    Will we meditate for the first time today and be the same person a year later? Not me.
  • lama
    rama
    ding
    dong

ding dong . . .
    I signed in blood . . . oh wait that was another contract . . . soul sold - I got a good deal - no soul. :D

The things we do . . . tsk tsk . . .
  • acknowledgement of conditional thoughts, understanding of the roots (kilesha) behind the conditional state of mind, the ability of better perception, the action of removing the unwholesome states of mind.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Well, I find myself more centered and able to be mindful more often, over time.
    riverflowlobstercvalue
  • Buddhism changed my life by helping me realize that i never needed to change my life!
    lobstercvalue
  • > More aware of how ignorant I once was and still am

> Understand how selfish and self centred I was

> Gives more meaning to life and doing the right thing

> Filled in a lot of gaps where I had ideas before that had no origin

> Influenced me to move 6,000 miles away from my entire life to a 'new' one
    cvalue

Influenced me to move 6,000 miles away from my entire life to a 'new' one

Could you elaborate?

• Well I was in England and had finished up at university. I had depression and everything was grey. I found an interest in Buddhism and so started to study the philosophy behind it. A few months later I decided I wanted to leave so literally googled 'highest ratio Buddhists country' or something similar. Sri Lanka and Thailand came up, not long after I was gone and have not returned since.
    Cool.
  • Well I was in England and had finished up at university. I had depression and everything was grey. I found an interest in Buddhism and so started to study the philosophy behind it. A few months later I decided I wanted to leave so literally googled 'highest ratio Buddhists country' or something similar. Sri Lanka and Thailand came up, not long after I was gone and have not returned since.

Do you still have to leave the country to get your visa renewed? Or do you just go to the immigration office?
  • robot said:

Well I was in England and had finished up at university. I had depression and everything was grey. I found an interest in Buddhism and so started to study the philosophy behind it. A few months later I decided I wanted to leave so literally googled 'highest ratio Buddhists country' or something similar. Sri Lanka and Thailand came up, not long after I was gone and have not returned since.

Do you still have to leave the country to get your visa renewed? Or do you just go to the immigration office?
    I just go to the immigration office in my town every 3 months. When I first got it I had to go to Malaysia as I switched from a tourist visa to an education visa. Now with a tourist visa you have to leave and come back every 30 days I think. Next door Cambodia has the easiest visa system probably in the world, you can literally turn up and buy work visas and permits.
  • Thanks Tom. Thailand is definetly a place I would consider for retirement if the funds weren't cutting it over here. Not so much Cambodia. It really didn't appeal to me much other than for a visit.
    robot said:

Thanks Tom. Thailand is definetly a place I would consider for retirement if the funds weren't cutting it over here. Not so much Cambodia. It really didn't appeal to me much other than for a visit.

You can live cheap in Thailand...but if you want to live a western lifestyle, it's not that much cheaper.

• AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited October 2013
    Buddhism has offered me plenty. I have a different way of looking at things. Acceptance and compassion for self and others are extremely powerful tools for anyone. And there are antidotes for the mental problems such as addictions or anger or grief. And they work.

Apart from that, there is the meditation and the gifts it brings. Blood pressure is now perfect, and I used to suffer from severe acid reflux. The scarring is still there but the ongoing suffering and deterioration of the esophagus due to acid build up is gone.

And of course, one becomes more conscientious as a human being.

That pretty much covers it for me.
    riverflowJeffreylobstercvalue
  • The sutra about love ending hate as the only path has helped me with mental voices. They still hate me when I give sermons on Buddhism to me though. Oh well maybe it will take a long time.
    AllbuddhaBoundriverflowlobstercvalue
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

The sutra about love ending hate as the only path has helped me with mental voices. They still hate me when I give sermons on Buddhism to me though. Oh well maybe it will take a long time.

Well, to a degree, metta/compassion subkind applied to self some and and combined with that "this too shall pass" attitude to apply emphemerality and temporariness of existence mindfulness has helped me a lot. I also metta meditate and include myself in giving metta out or sharing it. The teachings I've seen yield understanding that before you give metta away with sharing you need to share it with yourself, and when giving it away include yourself to get some so it is renewed.
    riverflowJeffreylobstercvalue
  • Yeah, Straight_Man, definitely in the trenches of my voices I don't forget to be my own best friend. :o
  • The teachings I've seen yield understanding that before you give metta away with sharing you need to share it with yourself, and when giving it away include yourself to get some so it is renewed.
    I think this is one of 'the tightenings' we can refer to as 'letting go' (in another thread). The store and levels of metta are inexhaustible. We can in effect resonate with the sharing of practice, metta, wisdom etc. and find solace that the path gets understandable in walking it.

Increase in metta. Sounds like a plan . . . :clap:
This discussion has been closed.