Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Whats your view on mental health issues?

BillyboyBillyboy Explorer
edited November 2013 in Buddhism Today
Well first off I must say that personally speaking I do not believe nor accept any ideas on Karma of past lives being connected to people who suffer from any mental health issue, although I would say that Karma (actions of ourselves and others) that happened in our present lives , very much does relate to Karma of each moment. First I must also say that I believe in the practise of Zen Buddhism, to save any doctrinal confusion.

So my question is, what's your take on mental health issues as Buddhists? whatever school of philosophy you practise and adhere to.

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I don't quite get the question.

Buddhists have mental health issues. Buddhism techniques may assist in alleviating some of the issues, but others need help in the psychological realm.
    BillyboyEvenThird
  • Thank you vinlyn. I agree that Buddhists can have mental health issues as anyone else, although we are perhaps sometimes better placed to help ourselves than the average person without the aid of insight gained from meditation practises. I wonder if you agree with me that mental health issues can be related to the excessive materialism that we experience in our societies today?
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Hi @Billyboy.

I know I sometimes fall into the trap of looking at the past with rose coloured glasses as if there were no mental health problems and these things have only come about due to the way we live in the modern world. I am not so sure that's right though.

As far as I can tell, people are often born with these issues.

I certainly do think that the way we are raised (brain washed) by the modern day media / governments / corporations do create some unnecessary self esteem issues in people. Not sure if you consider those mental health problems though.

Jainarayan
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    "Mental health issues" show up on functional MRIs as abnormalities of brain function. Generation after generation, people are born with bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, depression, anxiety and substance addiction into families with these same disorders. Children adopted into unaffected families develop the disorders of their birth families. I can't think of a better real life picture of karma; but throw that idea out and consider that mental illness is actually caused by the conditions of materialism et al in this life.

Bah. Eh. I'm straining . . .

In all fairness, there is a modifier to pure 'genetic karma' called epigenetics, which simplified means the environment of the person can influence their genes to express themselves in varying ways or intensities. Raised in a healthy, loving family, the child with hereditary predisposition to depression may experience moroseness and melancholy but 'grow out of it' with internalized positive regard from their healthy parents.

I agree wholeheartedly that the insanity of our current materialistic culture makes a contribution to our suffering, it is dukkha personified. I see it as an epigenetic factor, if anything, and a powerful one. But what to do about this? Perhaps it is the only factor we can do anything about? Can't change the culture or the economy, which is driven by the belief we can assuage our dukkha with a 2014 Subaru Outback.

But our most up to date knowledge about the causes of mental illness point to inborn brain differences. For the severe kinds of mental illness like Bipolar I and schizophrenia, the brain differences are so profound, and the symptoms of such early onset (often in childhood/adolescence) that environmental impact as the cause goes all weak in the knees.

Gassho :)

MaryAnneBillyboy
  • One of the guys who discovered the chemical structure of DNA discovered that bipolar disorder was genetic. Watson and Crick were the scientists and the one who discovered the genetic link of bipolar also WAS bipolar though obviously performing at an amazing level as a scientist.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Billyboy said:

Thank you vinlyn. I agree that Buddhists can have mental health issues as anyone else, although we are perhaps sometimes better placed to help ourselves than the average person without the aid of insight gained from meditation practises. I wonder if you agree with me that mental health issues can be related to the excessive materialism that we experience in our societies today?

Perhaps, yet people I know who live a terribly basic lifestyle in the Issan region of Thailand also have mental health issues. So I would say our materialistic society can be one source of distress. There are many others.

Billyboy
  • My view of mental health issues? Very close! Like front row at a concert close :rocker:
    Jeffrey
  • Billyboy said:

So my question is, what's your take on mental health issues as Buddhists?

We all suffer from delusions...perhaps to different degrees and types.
    lobsterInvincible_summer
  • cptshrkcptshrk Explorer
    edited November 2013
    From a Buddhist perspective, I believe mental illness (or any mental hindrace for that matter) is a reaping of our ancestors karma as well as our own. The condition we have created for ourselves is the source of our suffering. Therefore we must heal ourselves following the Buddha's teachings.

IMO, the problem in the western world is the extent to which we are deep within a materialistic world view and delude ourselves to be somebody. Sometimes the help of a professional is required to heal traumas of the past, along with a spiritual practice to strenghten a sense of connection.

I'm currently taking a psychology of religion course at university and modern psychology is increasingly integrating a secular version of Buddhism to alleviate anxiety and other pathology. Concetration and insight meditation are very powerful tools to keep touch with the world and reach within.
    Jeffrey
  • EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    edited November 2013
    I understand why one would mention a materialistic society when it comes to mental health, as I think such a society has its own significant stress due to that aspect. However I'm not sure such a society would have influence on certain mental health issues in any considerable amount... Such as those mainly stemming from a hormone or chemical imbalance (which usually need medical evaluation and/or meds for any real chance of greatly alleviating symptoms)
    Invincible_summer
  • Don't you think "mental health issues" is a hard thing to define? In some societies hoarding wealth is seen as a sign of madness.
    cptshrk said:

...the problem in the western world is the extent to which we are deep within a materialistic world view and delude ourselves to be somebody.

I agree, but materialism is only part of it and may even be a symptom of something deeper. Industrialisation has reduced human beings to being components in a societal machine where they lose touch with their own inner life and I'm sure this is the reason so many people in the West are popping antidepressants.
    Billyboy
  • Bunks said:

As far as I can tell, people are often born with these issues.

I certainly do think that the way we are raised (brain washed) by the modern day media / governments / corporations do create some unnecessary self esteem issues in people. Not sure if you consider those mental health problems though.

Agreed. For some people, mental health issues are organic in nature. I am hypomanic bipolar (type2)/depressive. Situational depression, which I think most people experience at some time or another in their lives... feeling blue, bummed out, lethargic, apathetic can stem from any life experience. It usually passes on its own.

Clinical depression is a brain chemical imbalance, and does not resolve on its own. Born that way or it develops over time? I have no idea. I don't know if it's been studied. I'd love to stop taking the meds I take, but I fear becoming again what I was before. Even with Buddhism I'm not willing to take the risk. Once the meds clear your system, and you need them again, it takes a miserable while for them to get to therapeutic levels again.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    My view on mental illness as someone who worked with people with all levels of it, is that it is something i wouldnt wish on my worst enemy.. It destroys families and puts people in a world divorced from the conventional reality most everyone else lives in.

As far as is mental illness connected to kamma/vipaka... Perhaps, perhaps not.. And it really makes no difference as we cannot know the inner workings of kamma.
    EvenThirdInvincible_summer
  • Well I used to be a mental health recovery worker, so its rather like the chicken and the egg paradox, whether people who had a parent with say Bi polar develop the same illness through their genetics or through the disruption to their daily life and up bringing by having a parent that suffered from the condition.
    My personal view is that both Poverty and excessive materialism can create the triggers for depression and anxiety, whilst having a parent that suffers from any mental health issue, would also effect the way they grew up, psychologically, as we depend when young on stable and loving relationships for our development as human beings. To me the middle way explains that we need not be materialists but also should not live in poverty, so that might explain why Buddhists in other parts of the world suffer also from mental health issues. Thank you all for your comments, as I found them most interesting.
    :)
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Does anyone here understand the concept of calculus - it is the 'mathematics of change' in the world. If not I don't expect you to have profound knowledge of it as it does not matter one jot at this juncture.

The 2 main terms of calculus are:

1. Differentiation, &
    2. Integration

Mathematically they are intrinsically interrelated and to see how they are one is a perfection in itself, but when you look at the descriptive language definitions of these terms they are 'bipolar' opposites.

Mental health issues are a problem for 'the statistically normal distributed population' because they will generally lack the ability to integrate people (who are not within 2 standard deviations of the normal distribution) into their world view and cannot differentiate themselves from one another.

This is just a view.

It may be wrong. But I will beg to differ(entiate)

• anataman said:

Mental health issues are a problem for 'the statistically normal distributed population' because they will generally lack the ability to integrate people (who are not within 2 standard deviations of the normal distribution) into their world view and cannot differentiate themselves from one another.

I would most certainly agree anataman that society has some strange ideas what's normal behaviour or thinking, when human experience and consciousness is a wide spectrum that runs in circle's. So I'd agree that a more inclusive attitude of mental health issues by society would greatly help the integration of our fellow human beings suffering from not just their mental health issues but also loneliness and social isolation. I feel as Buddhists, we have a duty to help liberate all insentient beings, so befriending someone with a mental health issue, is helping to elevate their loneliness and mental suffering even if its to a small degree.
  • I'm not sure that I believe that mental health is related to karma though I wouldn't discredit it either. I suffered from clinical depression for a time but the joint affects of increased mindfulness and psychological treatment have helped me a lot. I definitely think that Buddhism has helped me.
    BillyboyHamsaka
  • Well Skadi I also suffer rom clinical depression also, have done since my early teens, now I'm in my forties, but I believe that the life philosophy of the Dharma as well as meditation has helped me greatly over the years, to such a degree that I doubt I'd be writing this post if I hadn't. My own Brother committed suicide, so depression can run in families, although I dare say it could be down to environment as much as any predisposition which to be frank, I would call just being a sensitive person, which to my mind, there isn't anything wrong with being, so thank you for your honesty :)