Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

about karma: What does a snail have to do to reincarnate? Leave the perfect trail of slime?

here is a quote from the movie the bucket list: What does a snail have to do to reincarnate? Leave the perfect trail of slime? yeah it is funny quote but meaningful. what can animals do for good karma? you know, they don't have own self self awareness, and from the six realms that deva, asura, human, animals, hungry ghost, and hell can only mankind do good or bad karma? how can other beings if that don't have consciousness do action with their own ? if some carnivorous animals kill other animals to eat doesn't it mean they do bad karma right. so how are other beings do karma?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I don't know the answer.

But did you know that a snail can cross a razor blade without injury!

:D
    ThePensumanataman
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    vinlyn said:

I don't know the answer.

But did you know that a snail can cross a razor blade without injury!

:D

I shudder to imagine the karma of the person who used the scientific method to prove it
    :eek:

Before I had empathy, I found it fascinating to cut slugs open and examine the crazy shit that was their innards. I will probably spend a few lifetimes coming back as a slug in a duck sanctuary.
    EvenThirdvinlynMaryAnne
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2013
    OP once the karma of the animals ignorance is paid then on it's next death a new seed blossums from the beasts past karma (before the animalistic ignorance).

So if I die and have the seed of dharma interest but I develop ignorant qualities I am born a fish. Then that ignorance is not infinite in length so eventually there is no more animal karma. Then at rebirth the seed from the dharma interest sprouts and I am born a human with dharma in the world.
    Hamsaka said:

Before I had empathy, I found it fascinating to cut slugs open and examine the crazy shit that was their innards. I will probably spend a few lifetimes coming back as a slug in a duck sanctuary.

And yet, I ate escargot once...had no choice...and I have never forgiven snails since.

DavidHamsaka
  • Once, I ran outside barefoot, (I don't remember what was so urgent) but I stomped on a small, but plump frog on the walkway .... the sound was deafening, and the feeling -ugh!- the feeling of it clung to the bottom of my foot for Days!! :zombie:

I suspect the deep unpleasantness of the experience was my "Instant Karma" for running carelessly, with no need for next life payments.
    I hope so... it still makes me shudder...
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    from what I've heard the only animals that can "do" anything are house pets , because they are closer to humans. I suppose if you are a snail you just have to wear out enough kamma to allow a better rebirth and a chance to "try again" as it were.

don't forget we are talking about beginningless time, that snail was probably your mother a billion years ago on some alien planet LOL, it will have a chance to become human again eventually and hopefully be able to learn and practice dhamma.
  • How not to be born as a human.

Invincible_summer
    what does the monkey have in it's clutches?
  • It's a package of juice boxes that it snatched from a guy at Wat Tham Suea in Krabi, Thailand.
    BhikkhuJayasaraInvincible_summer
  • Today I saw one grab a bag of chips from a Russian guy in the blink of an eye. If you are a monkey you have little chance of upward mobility karma wise.
    robot said:

Today I saw one grab a bag of chips from a Russian guy in the blink of an eye. If you are a monkey you have little chance of upward mobility karma wise.

lucky for the monkey he's got eternity to figure it out LOL
    robotEvenThirdMaryAnneChaz
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Who knows?

However, I suspect at one time, we were little more than the rocks.
    Dennis1
  • SilouanSilouan Veteran
    edited December 2013
    In general we only perceive natural animal behavior as behaving badly because we are using ourselves as a reference for comparison. They don't possess a conscience like we do, and can't determine the consequences of their behavior. That monkey in the previous post is just foraging and found an opportunity for a tasty snack. When ants infest our cupboard they are doing what they are supposed to do according to their nature.

However, we obviously have a great influence on our environment and the creatures in it, and we can influence the more intelligent creatures to do things that are contrary to their nature, so if we then perceive them to be behaving badly with these circumstances in mind I would say we are ultimately accountable and they blameless.

If I believed in the doctrines of kamma and rebirth I would say that a snail would be reborn as a snail again and again over enumerable lifetimes, because it doesn't have much opportunity to change its behavior, but it sure knows how to be a snail.

I remember hearing a story about a priest and a goat. The priest would perform a sacrificial ritual using a goat. That goat was reborn over successive lifetimes and was sacrificed. One day when he was about to be sacrificed he was very happy. The priest asked in astonishment why he was so happy when he was about to die. The goat told the priest that he had been reborn again thousands of times as a goat and had been sacrificed, but now he will be reborn as a priest. The priest was horrified, because he realized that if that was possible so too that he could be reborn as a goat after he died.
    lobster
  • absoluteabsolute Explorer
    edited December 2013
    Silouan said:

In general we only perceive natural animal behavior as behaving badly because we are using ourselves as a reference for comparison. They don't possess a conscience like we do, and can't determine the consequences of their behavior. That monkey in the previous post is just foraging and found an opportunity for a tasty snack. When ants infest our cupboard they are doing what they are supposed to do according to their nature.

However, we obviously have a great influence on our environment and the creatures in it, and we can influence the more intelligent creatures to do things that are contrary to their nature, so if we then perceive them to be behaving badly with these circumstances in mind I would say we are ultimately accountable and they blameless.

If I believed in the doctrines of kamma and rebirth I would say that a snail would be reborn as a snail again and again over enumerable lifetimes, because it doesn't have much opportunity to change its behavior, but it sure knows how to be a snail.

I remember hearing a story about a priest and a goat. The priest would perform a sacrificial ritual using a goat. That goat was reborn over successive lifetimes and was sacrificed. One day when he was about to be sacrificed he was very happy. The priest asked in astonishment why he was so happy when he was about to die. The goat told the priest that he had been reborn again thousands of times as a goat and had been sacrificed, but now he will be reborn as a priest. The priest was horrified, because he realized that if that was possible so too that he could be reborn as a goat after he died.

so does it all mean born in a animal form is just repay your karma without self awareness, and you can change your behavior with only affection of other beings if you don't born in a intelligence form? because you said that a goat can reborn as a priest again since the goat was killed by a priest enumerable times, and if a priest did not kill him. would not the goat reborn as a priest?
    so conclusion is being as a animal means only living for repay and can intelligence beings can do karma, is it right?
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    absolute said:

here is a quote from the movie the bucket list: What does a snail have to do to reincarnate? Leave the perfect trail of slime? yeah it is funny quote but meaningful. what can animals do for good karma? you know, they don't have own self self awareness, and from the six realms that deva, asura, human, animals, hungry ghost, and hell can only mankind do good or bad karma? how can other beings if that don't have consciousness do action with their own ? if some carnivorous animals kill other animals to eat doesn't it mean they do bad karma right. so how are other beings do karma?

The animals can do one simple thing for 'good' karma : exist. Their lives are short, their purpose on this world is clear , so there isn't much to do other than just playing their role in maintaining the natural balance of this world.

edited December 2013
    ourself said:

Who knows?

However, I suspect at one time, we were little more than the rocks.

In a recently discovered song about rebirth Johnny Cash sings "perhaps i will be a single drop of rain, but i will remain". The rocks comment reminded me of that lol.

If you have even a slight inclination that rebirth is real, this song should give you some chills, i like it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RlgYxbtJb1Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    David
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2013
    @Jayantha;

Thanks, I liked that.

Brings me back to reading about the eternal champion books by Micheal Moorcock. More along the lines of incarnations but I never bothered to memorize the distinction between the two concepts.

And I actually do think rebirth makes sense.

Personally, I have had some somewhat convincing memories but I realize they could have been conjured up. I leave it at that but I got a sneaky feeling...
  • SilouanSilouan Veteran
    edited December 2013
    @absolute The story about the goat is something I heard a long time ago, but thought it interesting to share.

I don't follow the notions of kamma and rebirth, but my religious tradition places great importance on relationship, so the way I understand them then is not just simply on individual micro experience, but part of an integrated whole, so it would make sense that compassion given another being would have some kind of impact or influence on the rebirth of the receiver and giver, and in turn even the entire cosmos.

Also, just think of all the beings that you share your body with that you are dependent upon and them on you. What a microcosm.

So to steal some terminology from the discipline of economics there is micro-kamma and macro-kamma, and each are not independent.
    Dennis1
    edited December 2013
    @ourself I cant say ive ever had visions or dreams of previous lives, but ive always had a strong inclination towards rebirth. Even growing up Catholic the whole heaven thing never made sense and seemed boring. I wanted to come back and be a starship captian and see what life will be like in the future, and i often joked that i was a roman soldier and stuff like that.

Its hard for me to describe that it has always just "felt" right to me, it makes the most sense to me, it has the only thing close to what could be considered verifiable proof(see prof ian Stevensons work). It also makes more sense with science in how energy is never destroyed, just changed.

I cant say i truely fully believe in rebirth without doubrt, but if i were a betting man id bet on it. I even agree with a movie like what dreams may come where there is heaven but you can also choose to come back, why not?

And if there is nothing after death, at least i lived a good life. Either way im happy.
    DavidEvenThirdS_Mouse

The animals can do one simple thing for 'good' karma : exist. Their lives are short, their purpose on this world is clear , so there isn't much to do other than just playing their role in maintaining the natural balance of this world.

I don't really agree with that. What matters in terms of karma, to a very large extent, is intent. When we do good or bad, there's usually an intent behind it. When that mosquito does what it does, there is no intent, no conscious effort to do something good or bad.

riverflow
  • first, movies are not good teaching devices-usually. If a person doesn't have own person, independent of a body, how would a snail? If life energy is released it wouldn't have your personness attached to it so what does reincarnation mean?
    If an organism does what is natural to it in it's efforts to survive how is that bad karma?
    Doing what is unnatural is bad karma, like hurting children or eating your own. That sort of stuff also comes with shame and regret. Organisms rise and fall. One species consumes another in a natural process of survival. How can this be wrong or create bad karma. Should (could) we say plants are beneath consideration so we can eat them but not animals? That seems like lopsided thinking. We wouldn't think that way if we were trees. If you can't consume something you will obviously die. Rules should not go against common sense or natural processes. The Buddha doesn't.
  • When a person tries to seriously think about karma this is a problem. A snail cannot create the good karma for rebirth as a human being.

One image I heard - I don’t remember where – is of a turtle swimming in the ocean. Every minute or so the turtle comes to the surface. Somewhere in the entire ocean there is one floating rescue belt.
    The chance of rebirth as a human being is as dim as the turtle surfacing with his head in the rescue belt.

The explanation for this stroke of luck comes from a past we cannot see - as always in questions of karma.
    Somewhere in beginningless time there was a life, an event that accounts for the extraordinary luck of the snail to be reborn maybe as a pet first and after that as a human being.

If we can’t explain something we can create a fantasy around it.
  • Here is the story

"Imagine that the whole earth was covered with water, and that a man were to throw a yoke with a hole in it into the water. Blown by the wind, that yoke would drift north, south, east and west. Now suppose that once in a hundred years a blind turtle were to rise to the surface. What would be the chances of that turtle putting his head through the hole in the yoke as he rose to the surface once in a hundred years?"
    "It would be very unlikely, Lord."
    "Well, it is just as unlikely that one will be born as a human being. It is just as unlikely that a Tathagata, a Noble One, a fully enlightened Buddha should appear in the world. And it is just as unlikely that the Dhamma and discipline of the Tathagata should be proclaimed. But now you have been born as a human being, a Tathagata has appeared and the Dhamma has been proclaimed. Therefore, strive to realize the Four Noble Truths." (S.V,456)
    Posted by Shravasti Dhammika at 1:21 AM
    zenffJeffrey
  • Maybe it's not literally a turtle? Of course it's not. :o It is just showing how unlikely this universe is.
    lobster
    Ie human life is damn precious, dont waste it and get to practice.

I love the buddha, he doesnt sugar coat anything hahaha.
    EvenThirdlobster
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2013
    You're asking about animals in general. Many animal species do have fairly advanced consciousness (look at dolphins; they've been known to rescue people at sea). How many stories have there been of family pets who have rescued their owners or a child in an emergency? We don't know exactly the extent of a snail's consciousness. It could sacrifice itself as food so another animal could live. Maybe its contribution in life and death is to have offspring who survive to have their own offspring, thus contributing to the maintenance of nature's balance.

Snails are people, too. ;)
    EvenThird
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited December 2013
    absolute said:

if some carnivorous animals kill other animals to eat doesn't it mean they do bad karma right. so how are other beings do karma?

Generally, from what I understand of the traditional teachings, no they can't make good or bad karma because it's impossible for them to make an intentional choice to kill or not kill. They are entirely driven by instincts and that's it. They have no knowledge of good or evil so they can't do good or evil. Doing good makes good karma and doing bad makes bad karma. But if you can't do good or bad, then you can't make any karma. An animal can not do anything to be reborn as a human other than simply live out their existence in the animal realm, until the bad karma they have made that put them there, is burned off.

Although, I find it hard to believe that pet animals, at least some of them, are not making some kind of good karma. Like service dogs that help disabled people, etc.
  • seeker242 said:

Generally, from what I understand of the traditional teachings, no they can't make good or bad karma because it's impossible for them to make an intentional choice to kill or not kill. They are entirely driven by instincts and that's it.

Snails aren't people, too? :(

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Dakini said:

seeker242 said:

Generally, from what I understand of the traditional teachings, no they can't make good or bad karma because it's impossible for them to make an intentional choice to kill or not kill. They are entirely driven by instincts and that's it.

Snails aren't people, too? :(

No, but it's prudent to not step on them. Snails want to be alive too! :lol:
  • Maybe they make virtuous slime? :buck:
  • Jeffrey said:

Maybe they make virtuous slime? :buck:

oooh, slimey virtue.... hmm.....
    seeker242 said:

Generally, from what I understand of the traditional teachings, no they can't make good or bad karma because it's impossible for them to make an intentional choice to kill or not kill. They are entirely driven by instincts and that's it. They have no knowledge of good or evil so they can't do good or evil. Doing good makes good karma and doing bad makes bad karma. But if you can't do good or bad, then you can't make any karma. An animal can not do anything to be reborn as a human other than simply live out their existence in the animal realm, until the bad karma they have made that put them there, is burned off.

Although, I find it hard to believe that pet animals, at least some of them, are not making some kind of good karma. Like service dogs that help disabled people, etc.

Other than the burning off of karma aspect, your post makes a lot of sense. Including that some pets do make decisions that appear to be positive.

seeker242 said:

absolute said:

if some carnivorous animals kill other animals to eat doesn't it mean they do bad karma right. so how are other beings do karma?

This is pretty much what i put in my post above as to what I've heard. Pets, because of their proximity to humans, have a better chance of coming back as humans, i guess due to chances to do less animalistic things like killing to survive.

All i know is supposedly we have little actual choice in our rebirth even depending on how we live this life. I could become a very virtuous monk who practices a lot and does good things, and still come back as possum becsuse of kamma in the past. Eventually though my kamma from this life would bear fruit and id come back as a human.
    seeker242
  • absolute said:

Don't know much about snail but that goes to tell that we are fortunate to be human.

• I assumed karma was NOT linear in that one life will determine the next. I thought all the consequences of action (call it karma, if you will) will determine many lives henceforth. So in this example the snail has accumulated many consequences from previous births as well - and those consequences will determine future birth (rather than its present life as a snail).
    JeffreyS_MouseEvenThird
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    absolute said:

..what can animals do for good karma?

Avoid being eaten by Buddhists... :p
  • EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    On a silly note
    "Right Livelihood: Be a House Cat
    While not all cats can take this route, being a house cat is the best life a cat can live. Not only do they live longer, but they don’t have to engage in sexual misconduct, killing, or engaging in territorial warfare."
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    EvenThird said:

Not only do they live longer, but they don’t have to engage in sexual misconduct, killing, or engaging in territorial warfare

Oh yes they do!