Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Study Your Way

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited December 2013 in Buddhism Basics
For many, Buddhism is a type of Wisdom Yoga
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jnana

Can the study of dharma, the integration of its teachings lead to enlightenment?
It would seem that way. Buddhism has a straightforward and obvious 'wisdom psychology'.
http://www.taleofgenji.org/buddhism_for_beginners.html

For many years, I read everything I could find on Buddhism. Some of it may have rubbed off . . .

Is study 'your way'? Do you feel it is part of a whole? A prelude? A complete path?

:wave:
Vastmind

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    I think there are differences in reading and studying.
    For example, comprehension and application.
    We already know comprehension has a zillion conditions.....and
    how well could you apply something you don't understand/comprehend..??
    Tight spot, I think........

Prelude is a nice term for it.... :)
  • Lol i do too much study and not enough practise. I think a lot more benefit can come from the actual practise the realisation and understanding deepens when i practise.

anataman
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2013
    you can go your own way...

on a more serious note.. both, both.. I always use this video in my basics of buddhism class... 100% truth in this video, regardless of sect/tradition.

BONUS for playing both videos together LOL(almost exactly same length)

(on being a dharma student)

• The study aspect as far as I am aware is the initial source of our confidence in the Buddhist applicability. Some people are faith led. They don't need much investigation to begin practicing. Others and I think I belong to that type, need confirmation and much investigation before practice. Generally in the west our approach is quite cautious. We have been through or seen the results of religious 'practice', which all too often produces the very opposite of its intention.

You will notice how for example the very narrow dharma only education of the Rinpoche in the above clip has produced a jolly, gentle, nice enough party line. You would find very gentle Christ or Islam or Zoroastrian lifers, who will tell you 'study the teachings, trust in Ra/Dharma/Ahura Mazda and everything will work out lovely'. Well my dears, we take a pinch of salt with your single cap fits all dogma or some of us do . . .

A little too much superstition or blind certainty . . . and well that in itself is a study. So again to take the example of the charming Rinpoche, a reincarnated expert . . . should we have faith in our capacity to study his limitations as well as become aware of our own? Certainty is a good thing?

m m m . . . indoctrination . . . good plan? Personally I am convinced the Buddhist path is simple but complicated by our doubts. How certain are you in your studies?

Hamsaka
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    lobster said:

The study aspect as far as I am aware is the initial source of our confidence in the Buddhist applicability. Some people are faith led. They don't need much investigation to begin practicing. Others and I think I belong to that type, need confirmation and much investigation before practice. Generally in the west our approach is quite cautious. We have been through or seen the results of religious 'practice', which all too often produces the very opposite of its intention.

You will notice how for example the very narrow dharma only education of the Rinpoche in the above clip has produced a jolly, gentle, nice enough party line. You would find very gentle Christ or Islam or Zoroastrian lifers, who will tell you 'study the teachings, trust in Ra/Dharma/Ahura Mazda and everything will work out lovely'. Well my dears, we take a pinch of salt with your single cap fits all dogma or some of us do . . .

A little too much superstition or blind certainty . . . and well that in itself is a study. So again to take the example of the charming Rinpoche, a reincarnated expert . . . should we have faith in our capacity to study his limitations as well as become aware of our own? Certainty is a good thing?

m m m . . . indoctrination . . . good plan? Personally I am convinced the Buddhist path is simple but complicated by our doubts. How certain are you in your studies?

wow a straight up serious post from Lobster? might be a first for me lol. I didn't get the same thing out of that video that you did apparently. What I got was him saying that some people just study the books and some just do practice, but both are important and work together.
  • What I got was him saying that some people just study the books and some just do practice, but both are important and work together.
    The development of wisdom through study requires reading between the lines. People themselves are expressions of their wisdom. If one reads only one subject, in one way what happens?

'This is not what it says in the Bible, therefore the world is the centre of the universe'
    'The Koran tells us to behave this way, Allah knows best.'
    'The Sutras say this, therefore reincarnation is fact'

Most of us have experiences, education and abilities that transcend parrot teachings. What happens if we read a book that challenges our practice results? What happens if we confuse a delivery system with the message? In other words we become confused by the simplicity, ornateness, controversy or resonance with our expectations?

Have we learned what study is? I would suggest study is an active process of contemplation and assessment. Not just a passive reinforcement of platitudes . . .
    Vastmind said:

and now back to the study . . .
    http://thebuddhistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2009/09/skepticism-in-buddhism-is-good.html

of course I could be wrong . . . you will have to read between the lines and established lies we all tell ourselves . . . :o
  • What I got was him saying that some people just study the books and some just do practice, but both are important and work together.
    The development of wisdom through study requires reading between the lines. People themselves are expressions of their wisdom. If one reads only one subject, in one way what happens?

'This is not what it says in the Bible, therefore the world is the centre of the universe'
    'The Koran tells us to behave this way, Allah knows best.'
    'The Sutras say this, therefore reincarnation is fact'

Most of us have experiences, education and abilities that transcend parrot teachings. What happens if we read a book that challenges our practice results? What happens if we confuse a delivery system with the message? In other words we become confused by the simplicity, ornateness, controversy or resonance with our expectations?

Have we learned what study is? I would suggest study is an active process of contemplation and assessment. Not just a passive reinforcement of platitudes . . .
    Vastmind said:

and now back to the study . . .
    http://thebuddhistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2009/09/skepticism-in-buddhism-is-good.html

of course I could be wrong . . . you will have to read between the lines and established lies we all tell ourselves . . . :o
    Dennis1David
  • Lobster, I think your grasp is excellent. Now don't go blaming yourself, you didn't ask for that admiration. It's simply true from my view. mtgby
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    lobster said:

Can the study of dharma, the integration of its teachings lead to enlightenment?

Integration of theory and practice is a good approach.
    lobster