Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

After death the body

blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
edited February 2013 in Your Practice
In a Buddhist documentary there was an old man Who knew he was close to death he asked his kids to give him a sky burial which means to be eaten by birds ( after passing of course). He said it was a way one could earn good karma for his next birth.

Are there any other ways after deAth one can earn good karma like this?

Comments

• Good for the birds. The rest of it sounds like superstition.
  • Well in a way food was provided for them good karma is good karma.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    This is pretty cool! Although cremation is sort of problematic (environmentally), so I'm not sure how much turning into a tree would offset the cremation process, but yeah, cool nonetheless.

http://bigthink.com/design-for-good/this-awesome-urn-will-turn-you-into-a-tree-after-you-die
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Soylent green?
    Invincible_summerlobsterjae
  • Donate the body to medicine.
    riverflowBrianseeker242cvalue
  • Hello, yes there is.
    ThailandTom
  • You could be cremated and have your ashes placed in a bucket at the back door to sprinkle on the icy path in winter. So everyone would think "Thanks to Granny I can walk to the car without spraining my ankle." Don't know how much karma that's worth though.
    seeker242BhikkhuJayasara
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Organ donation = good karma. :)
    cvalue
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    After death, the karma you have been storing up will already be preparing your next incarnation. Perhaps if you can be mindful in the death state you can generate good Karma - but you will need to chat to someone who has been through it and can teach you how to do it!

Or maybe it's better to start generating good Karma now!
    Jeffrey
  • anataman said:

After death, the karma you have been storing up will already be preparing your next incarnation. Perhaps if you can be mindful in the death state you can generate good Karma - but you will need to chat to someone who has been through it and can teach you how to do it!
    Or maybe it's better to start generating good Karma now!

well if your actions ripple troughs time in a good manner won't the karma of such an action affect you at its wholeness? I mean, if time and space are perceptions and fall under the terms of what we see as the reality they must be fleeting and I don't see why they would be a restrain to a "higher system"
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    lobster said:

Donate the body to medicine.

Or sell it?
    :p
  • We can leave instructions in our will to donate our good clothes, shoes, computers, furnitures... to the poor after our death. If we are a little bit richer, we can leave a legacy to a charity that saves lives such as Doctors Without Borders... This certainly will create good karma.

But the most important thing is do not wait until after death, accumulate good karma now while we are still alive and well. At the time of death, just let go, do not cling to life, do not regret anything. That's why we must leave a life so that we will have no regret when we go.
    Jeffrey
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I just love to read threads like this where some people post such specific thoughts that are impossible for them to know.
    I know - but some people like a bit of nonsense and speculation - makes for a more interesting read :-)
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    vinlyn said:

I just love to read threads like this where some people post such specific thoughts that are impossible for them to know.

Im pretty sure ill come back as a zombie..
    Oh no not another one...