Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ever wonder why

Everybody (without exception) in this world wants happiness and searches for happiness. If that's what we all want and are united in this goal of happiness, then why there are so much sufferings? Everybody is working for happiness but all we get is misery? Strange!

Comments

• federica said:

because they're looking in a dark room for a black cat that isn't there.

Some people find it. That's scarier yet.
    cvalueanatamanDandelion
  • federica said:

No, you find it. That scares nobody but you.

because it really ISN'T there.....

Are we still talking about the non-existent cat, lol.
    cvalueDandelion
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I was, metaphorically..... Aren't you?
  • cvalue said:

Everybody (without exception) in this world wants happiness and searches for happiness.
    If that's what we all want and are united in this goal of happiness, then why there are so much sufferings?
    Everybody is working for happiness but all we get is misery? Strange!

One can't be sure the rule is correct or that it is applied without exception.
    We may indeed be united in some respects in a common pursuit however this does not necessarily mean we are all pulling in the same direction at all times.
    Kant's social unsociability / biological reciprocal alturism / game theory.
    My happiness may mean your misery.
    Your happiness could be the opposite swing to your misery.
    Also, I don't think everyone is working for happiness or that only misery is the result.
    cvalue
  • IT IS NOT STRANGE!!! RESORT BACK TO THE 4NTs.... LIFE IS SUFFERING AND THAT IS LIFE. I am sorry that is in caps but it needs to be, the 4NTs are really really important, even for a well experienced monk or nun...
    cvaluelobsterTheswingisyellow
  • jaejae Veteran
    It is important to reflect upon the phrasing of the First Noble Truth. It is phrased in a very clear way: "There is suffering", rather than "I suffer". Psychologically, that reflection is a much more skilful way to put it. We tend to interpret our suffering as "I’m really suffering. I suffer a lot - and I don’t want to suffer." This is the way our thinking mind is conditioned

@ThailandTom Just copied and pasted this from buddanet.... would it not be better/more positive to say there is suffering in life rather than life is suffering ...ive just read what @federica wrote on betaboys link about pessimism...the connection between the donkey cart ride...call me soft but I like that :p
    cvaluerobotJeffrey
  • jaejae Veteran
    Sorry guys haven't worked out how to do the quote thing yet...technophobe :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    click on the word 'quote' in that person's comment-box....

like this .....
    jae said:

Sorry guys haven't worked out how to do the quote thing yet...technophobe :)

• There are the stains on the path; delusion, greed and hate. There is also the source of suffering, desire motivated by self cherishing. It is natural to cherish ourselves. If we don't care about ourselves we usually don't do well and that is also suffering. However, we must learn to care for others and do for others if we are to lessen the suffering around us. Because so many have not learned these truths there is a lot of suffering in the world. We should redouble our efforts and tire not in our aspirations.
    ToshcvaluelobsterJeffrey
  • cvalue said:

Everybody (without exception) in this world wants happiness and searches for happiness. If that's what we all want and are united in this goal of happiness, then why there are so much sufferings? Everybody is working for happiness but all we get is misery? Strange!

From my own experiences, the stuff I did to find happiness ended up with me being close to suicide and at my first A.A. meeting; and a lot of hurt feelings all round.

Since then I've found my concept of what happiness is changed, and obviously how to get it changed too.

cvalue
  • cvalue said:

Hi Stranger,

Dear Mr Cushion, you are so plump and empty. I hate sitting on your face, when the world is sitting in my . . . oh look a distraction . . .
    Where was I . . .

Ah yes . . . as a Lobster I know that happiness is a wardrobe full of sardine cases but others suffering is not for us who can not open the can. Our claws get in The Way.

So as life without sardines is empty and sitting on emptiness just leads to empty little fishes . . . well I just gonna run away from you Mr Cushion.

Your Friend
    Stranger crustacean
    http://m.wikihow.com/Practice-Buddhist-Meditation
    :crazy:
    cvalue
  • I don't think we're really working for happiness. Maybe we should be, but we're not.

We want happiness. We think of things that we suppose might bring us happiness. Then we work for those things. We forget about the happiness because we get distracted by the things. Then more things to work for appear, then more. Complexity increases. Happiness recedes. And we let it recede, because we aren't pursuing it, we're pursuing the things.

It's hard to wake up, and recognize.
    lobstercvalue
  • cvalue said:

cvalueJeffrey
  • Explored beautifully by this scientist who suffered a stroke. There is a lot of insite here.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.html

Mindfulness and being in the moment she describes as Nirvana.

cvalue
  • Steve_B said:

I don't think we're really working for happiness. Maybe we should be, but we're not.

We want happiness. We think of things that we suppose might bring us happiness. Then we work for those things. We forget about the happiness because we get distracted by the things. Then more things to work for appear, then more. Complexity increases. Happiness recedes. And we let it recede, because we aren't pursuing it, we're pursuing the things.

It's hard to wake up, and recognize.

Yes indeed that is why we all need to stay on that cushion lobster mentioned.

cvalue
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Because of ignorance. WE are like punching against a tar wall and the more we do it the more stuck we get. Anger and illusion and things like that.
    cvaluelobsterDennis1
  • cvalue said:

I am not so sure if everyone is searching for happiness. Some people I know are looking for money and some for love. Maybe, happiness comes in different form and we just have to find the right type of happiness for ourselves. Since we seem to be looking for what other term as happiness instead of what happiness is to us, we all end up suffering. We ought to have our own yardstick and not one common one using the SI units.
    cvalue
  • cvalue said:

Because people have conflicting agendas within themselves. They want happiness, but their need to feed their ego clouds their judgement re: how to get that happiness, and becomes an obstacle. That pesky ego tends to throw a wrench into the works and distort our view. This is why we practice non-attachment, generosity, compassion, and discernment. Those are the antidotes to the grasping ego.

MaryAnneJeffreycvalue