Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Inspired by the Suffering

One of the reasons I value Tantra is because of its potential to transmute negative obstacles as a fuel to further our path to less suffering.
For example let us say we have no compassion or love for the heathen heretics of ignorant indulgence. Let them eat torma and chant to Amitabha, we think.
However, these very uncharitable thoughts may inspire us to move into a Pureland, where all is dharma roses and lotus loveliness. We bow incessantly to Amitabha, chant his mantra and the blessing engages us.

Do you find your anger, regret, gluttony for dharma or other negativity is the inspiration for practice?
http://m.wikihow.com/Practice-Tibetan-Buddhism
Dennis1Tosh

Comments

• In my scool of Zen (Korean) big emphasis is placed on using all aspects of life, inner and outer, to help all beings. It is all just energy that can be rechanelled if we stop being wrapped up by the stories we made about it. Everything can be fuel for practice. But this can get tricky so I think a teacher is needed.
  • Karma Buddha energy is ceaseless 'doing' all to help out sentient beings. Before development I guess it would be like a chicken running all over with it's head cut off. But eventually all of the skillful wisdom qualities develop and it is ceaseless bodhisattva activity.

You post, lobster, made me think of that because they are both a transmutation of questionable qualities for virtuous. First we are always doing busy bodies and eventually we are just bodhisattvas who never give up on beings.
    lobster
  • lobster said:

Do you find your anger, regret, gluttony for dharma or other negativity is the inspiration for practice?

It is my primary inspiration.
    lobster
  • Thanks guys,

Once again I am brought to the middle way. Between the extremes of the hellish realms of samsara and the extremes of heaven gone fluffy bunny Pureland.
    I think it was Boddhisattvah Jesus Santa Claus, who postulated that, 'the poor will always be with us'.
    On one level this allows the financially or dharmically rich to thank their lucky karma. However as the dervishes say, 'we are the poor'.
    In other words, the poor will always be part of us internally or reflected from outer dukkha. What can be done if as someone once said,
    'To be is to know suffering' or words to that effect . . .
    I suppose we have to move to the infamous NT2 which if I remember rightly is,
    'Nobody here but us chickens' or other personal driving forces . . .
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    @Lobster; what is tantra? I can read the Wikipedia (I did) and obviously it's no 'one thing' except to say it is the intention (by doing a variety of things) to focus energy to achieve certain ends. "Tantric sex" about covers my preconceived notions and so in my studies I haven't gone any further.

Is it useful for a new Buddhist to explore? If so, where would be a good link or source of info? One preferably that talks about how it 'works', you know, the theory or underpinnings.

Gassho :)
  • You need a teacher to do tantra. You also need to practice preliminaries. The reason is that it can be dangerous because it arouses the body and minds energies.
  • @Hamsaka: Guru, Deity, Protector, first of ten talks. Find links to the others here by searching for "Guru, Deity".
  • @Lobster; what is tantra?
    It is a path where an alcoholic, sex addict or ego maniac can overcome their behaviour through practice and devotion. The controlled and symbolic usage and enactment of negative behaviour allows wisdom and understanding to develop. The rest is imagination. Even a rogue could tell you that. ;)
    HamsakaCitta
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Can a sex addict really overcome their behavior through this practice? Because I know someone who had practiced it for approximately forty years when he destroyed his career as a Buddhist teacher with an ill-advised liason with a student. Maybe he was doing it wrong?
    lobster
  • Not any more. Tantra and Vajra are both superior paths to Buddha. I personally appreciate the Vajrayana. But, The Buddha taught....So, I'm just saying as a practitioner....I think My biggest spur (don't really see much need anymore), is seeing where my activities work in other people's lives. You know, less suffering more aspiration from a little learning or a kindness-best done unseen-but a kind heart brings joy to life. I am constantly amazed at the value of a little kindness. One of the great things about this site is that we are all pretty anonymous. We reach to help for it's own sake-don't need any other incentive than the lessened suffering in others.

Yes Tantra takes the path as the path. Vajra too. In the end I think meditating on the
    road you are walking is a fine place to be. Don't have to be so many obstacles. Best,
  • fivebells said:

Can a sex addict really overcome their behavior through this practice? Because I know someone who had practiced it for approximately forty years when he destroyed his career as a Buddhist teacher with an ill-advised liason with a student. Maybe he was doing it wrong?

:D
    . . . maybe . . .
    He forgot to be born a Tulku, then he could do no wrong and have his track covered by 'the management' and willing accomplices? Tsk, tsk, maybe next lifetime [yawn] she'll do batter . . . talking of fish addiction . . .
    OM MANI PEME HERE LITTLE FISHY

:D
  • It's actually a serious question. It really shook my world when it happened, I regarded him as my teacher, though there was no formal vajrayana relationship. It wasn't so much that he had sex with a student as the bad judgement he showed in his choice of partner.
  • fivebells said:

It's actually a serious question.

:wave:

I don't take humour seriously? Must be using the wrong bait.

I will in the future be trolling for 90 year olds to practice sexual Tantra with (must be hideous, preferably deformed - just in case you are thinking of applying).
    Forty years of practice is nothing versus a mans libido.
    There are some wonderful inspiring teachers of Tantra, those burning under the 'fire path' also.
    http://gnostic.org/writings/grapevine/dalaiteachers.htm

Say three Hail Marys, a few thousand Manis and sin no more. would be my advice . . . not sure to whom though . . . :buck:
  • Lobster: Well, if you are practicing with someone that undesirable you won't have any trouble maintaining the first vow. Someone missed the first vow and the whole idea of the selfless practice with an action Mudra. Really a sad story. Better to just practice Tummo Or Kundalini. if there is going to be a problem with the selfless giving. I agree with the Dalai Lama above quote.
    Namaste
  • selfless giving eh?

As someone who loves Moslems, the opinionated, alcoholics and all manner of demons (it is good to have a hobby) I am wondering what selfish giving to give up?
    As a tannedtricker . . . eh wait . . . Tantrika (almost right) I may have to become a dire warning by example.

Do you think right speech would catch on or is just too hard for us beginners?
  • lobster said:

selfless giving eh?
    Lobster said>
    As someone who loves Moslems, the opinionated, alcoholics and all manner of demons
    (it is good to have a hobby) I am wondering what selfish giving to give up?
    As a tannedtricker . . . eh wait . . . Tantrika (almost right) I may have to become a dire warning by example.
    Do you think right speech would catch on or is just too hard for us beginners?

Hi Lobster: I am pleased to see you had room to include me in your list of loved ones.
    Thank you. I want you to know that my opinion is that crusty characters are a lot of fun.
    No, I think right speech will have to wait until we opinionated ones have cleared the deck of erroneous definitions. Opinions about Buddhist doctrine are easy because it is an open doctrine and anyone can just blab on and hope to be verified by the reasoning of the recipient-or not. Among Christians and Moslems things are somewhat different.
    A man can get skewered on a mis-step or a disagreement. Namaste

lobster
  • Among Christians and Moslems things are somewhat different.
    Don't forget the dogmatists, fluffy liberal kittens and the Purrlanders. :p

A lie told often enough becomes the truth.
    Vladimir Lenin

Right speech?
    Not needed when the Truth must be told . . . as some of us may suspect . . . ;)

. . . and now back to the truth as I suffer it . . .
  • fivebells said:

Not for nothing is the path of Non-duality ( Dzogchen, Essence Mahamudra, HYT ) called 'licking honey from the razors edge' .
    Its fraught with dangers as well as replete with opportunity.
    It needs a framework and accountability.