Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Too Busy To Meditate?

Comments

• Do we need the bog standard empowerment to practice this patch? :crazy:
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Jayantha said:

"If you have time to clean, you have time to meditate!" - ajahn chah

I don't get that. If it was "time to be mindful" it would make sense, but how do you do sitting meditating while using a hoover?

:rolleyes:
  • Jayantha said:

I don't get that. If it was "time to be mindful" it would make sense, but how do you do sitting meditating while using a hoover?

lobstersova
  • I think, therefore I suck.

:p
    poptartVastmindTheswingisyellow
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran

Jayantha said:

Simply a paraphrase... Ajahn Chah's quote is: "If you have time to breathe, you have time to meditate." In other words, there is always time to meditate.
    Vastmind
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2013

Jayantha said:

Jayantha said:

Simply a paraphrase... Ajahn Chah's quote is: "If you have time to breathe, you have time to meditate." In other words, there is always time to meditate.
    lol yes my comment was taking a real quote and twisting it for the thread lol. Doug has it right. Ajahn Chah is basically saying that no matter what you are doing you can follow your breath and practice mindfulness and concentration.

the buddha advised us to be aware when doing everything, even going to the bathroom.

"And how is a monk alert? When going forward & returning, he makes himself fully alert; when looking toward & looking away... when bending & extending his limbs... when carrying his outer cloak, his upper robe & his bowl... when eating, drinking, chewing, & savoring... when urinating & defecating... when walking, standing, sitting, falling asleep, waking up, talking, & remaining silent, he makes himself fully alert. This is how a monk is alert."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn36/sn36.007.than.html
    lobsterTheswingisyellow
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    @poptart u crazy n i love u
    poptart
    poptart said:

Nice one! Could this be the basis of a new Buddhist tradition? :D
    poptart
    Jayantha said:

"And how is a monk alert? When going forward & returning, he makes himself fully alert; when looking toward & looking away... when bending & extending his limbs... when carrying his outer cloak, his upper robe & his bowl... when eating, drinking, chewing, & savoring... when urinating & defecating... when walking, standing, sitting, falling asleep, waking up, talking, & remaining silent, he makes himself fully alert. This is how a monk is alert."

Sure, but that relates to mindfulness, not sitting meditation.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    No. Too many attachments.
    poptartlobsterHamsaka
    federica said:

No. Too many attachments.

:D
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

Jayantha said:

Sure, but that relates to mindfulness, not sitting meditation.
    depending on your tradition, its all practiced together. For me when we say mindfulness what we are really talking about is observing phenomenon, insight meditation, and that is done in formal meditation and outside of it.

what difference is there between observing phenomenon while your defecating, and observing phenomenon during a sitting?
    Jayantha said:

What difference is there between observing phenomenon while your defecating, and observing phenomenon during a sitting?

There may not be much difference if we're talking specifically about insight meditation, but that's only one type of meditation. I still think it's useful to distinguish between sitting meditation and mindfulness "off the cushion", particularly on a discussion forum like this where it's very easy to talk at cross purposes.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    I suspect if it was available only as a suppository it may encourage people to meditate the ol' fashioned way.

Or at least make temples a lot more interesting.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Meditation has as many different definitions as does the word love. The choice here is to either practice it where ever you are, or choose specific places to do it.
    "Busy" just a word describing where you think you can't meditate.