Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

smiley faces

I have the sense that smiley faces are sometimes used as a 'dislike' button. Does anyone else agree? Or am I just paranoid?
lobster

Comments

• Jeffrey said:

I have the sense that smiley faces are sometimes used as a 'dislike' button. Does anyone else agree? Or am I just paranoid?

Probably paranoid, although I think sometimes a few people may use them in a sarcastic manner to try and vent some anger or disagreement. Owel to each their own right :D
    Jeffrey
  • :eek2:

People are funny creatures. Hands up who noticed?

People use, display, avoid their emoticons and emotions in different ways. :)
    Taking emoticons at face value as @how suggests, is hard because we are not face to face and people interpret, project and generally filter through their hindrances/present self/understanding. Strangely through the internet, if a negative connotation can be found, people will find it.
    So best to find the best interpretation even if not apparent.
    In other words project the best meaning on a post . . .

. . . so good to be deluded again . . . ;)
    how
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    Definitely what the others said.

In the case where someone intends their smiley face in a disrespectful way, that kind of pathetic behavior deserves to be ignored. Really, think about that. What is what THEY are thinking going to do to you? Crawl out of the computer screen :D ? Affect you (outside your control) in any way?

If someone is childish enough to offer their criticism in such a cowardly way, it is a communication UNworthy of your notice.

Since we are social beings, of course it matters to us instinctively that others of our species regard us with decency and respect. Ill-will, instinctively, can mean danger (so it goes in our more primitive brains) so it's natural to be concerned, it's what our brain does automatically. Except that . . . in this day and age, and especially via the internet, such ill-will behaviors are like bad smells rather than anything REALLY dangerous. We have to override our instinctual fears that rejection means abandonment by the social group, which is really a fear of death.

It might be a bit paranoid, but there are characters who (for some reason) get a charge out of HOPING their ill-will affects you.

Gassho :)
  • It might be a bit paranoid, but there are characters who (for some reason) get a charge out of HOPING their ill-will affects you.
    You mean trolls.

On my picnics to the hell realms, I love to bring a supply of trolls for the demonic hordes. You know what those devils do, munch the screaming and hollering lesser morsels but completely ignore the trolls . . . now that is wikid . . . :cool:

Silence too is an answer
    Sufi traditional saying

• I am an infrequent visitor and my views should be treated as such, but I would hope to see New Buddhist evolve beyond likes/dislikes/lol,s and smilies. I think they are a bit juvenile.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    Smilies are kind of a pathetic excuse for nonverbal language, which is missing in abundance in text communication. Still, they do seem to work,

I'm a member of a huge fiber arts forum, and they have 'agree', 'disagree', 'love' and those sorts of buttons to push beneath each post. So you can offer your experience crocheting with energized yarn and have a variety of people agree or disagree with your experience. I got so distracted by those buttons I went into personal settings and deleted them from my visual experience. I got to thinking more about what could possibly be disagreed with than the content of the post.

But here on NB, those same little buttons don't distract me the same way, for some reasons. Neither do smilies, for the above reasons.

Certainly all these non-text communications are subject to the projection of the sender and receiver. That's true for all sorts of communication. @Jeffrey requested a 'reality check' which is the best and only thing to do when you want to be sure you are getting the intended message. Alas, the nuances of text based communications.

Gassho :)
  • Citta said:

I am an infrequent visitor and my views should be treated as such, but I would hope to see New Buddhist evolve beyond likes/dislikes/lol,s and smilies. I think they are a bit juvenile.

I've thought about this and decided for myself that NB is working pretty much the way Lincoln and Brian intend it to.
    Those features perhaps make a more comfortable experience for new Buddhists.
    I think for a more formal, intellectual, mature experience, there are other forums to use.
    This site is more for the new Buddhist in us, regardless of years of experience. Buddhists being people instead of people being Buddhists.
    lobsterJeffreyhow
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    If anyone ever needs clarification from me...please ask.
    Mis-understandings can cause too much drama....whether here
    or IRL.
    Hamsakalobster
  • Hard to type on phone. Smileys help us to convey our thoughts ... Oh never mind, I am tired of typing on the phone. :-/
  • Jeffrey said:

Most of us can be a little paranoid, self centred, self referential, the centre of our mandala if you will . . .

No one here I dislike. I get the impression most people are good hearted, some have not yet developed the confidence that they can be Buddhas. They can. Trust me, it is the smart option. Just as we trust, not blindly, that others can mean well.

Even trolls are sentient . . .

If I dislike what I or others say because it is too direct, too ignorant, too advanced for the spiritually foolhardy, beginner or elite, then I will intervene.

After all just because they are not out to get you,
    does not mean you can not get them

as the Boddhisattva said to the Buddha :wave:
  • robot said:

Citta said:

I am an infrequent visitor and my views should be treated as such, but I would hope to see New Buddhist evolve beyond likes/dislikes/lol,s and smilies. I think they are a bit juvenile.

I've thought about this and decided for myself that NB is working pretty much the way Lincoln and Brian intend it to.
    Those features perhaps make a more comfortable experience for new Buddhists.
    I think for a more formal, intellectual, mature experience, there are other forums to use.
    This site is more for the new Buddhist in us, regardless of years of experience. Buddhists being people instead of people being Buddhists.
    I acknowledge that your points are valid. Thank you.
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    edited January 2014
    how said:

It is so much easier to just take folks at face value. If deception is going on, it's on them, not you.

Totally agree. It would be pointless for anyone to respond to one of my posts with an emoticon that had some sort of sub text/sarcasm etc going on behind it, because any kind of subversive behaviour would be totally lost on me. And, just to clarify to all... I only ever use emoticon's in an up front way - if I 'lol' at a post, it is a genuinely warm hearted, good spirited 'lol', etc. If I don't agree with something, I'd rather ask for clarity/engage in an adult discussion, or politely 'walk away'. Anything less, is quite poor behaviour in my book. And that's the kind of behaviour that makes the use of emoticon's juvenile, when actually they can be a positive thing in my opinion.

Ooooo... I got on my high horse there! Sorry! :D
    lobster
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    :coffee: