Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New Years resolutions - should Buddhists make them? Have you made any?

Hey guys, just spend an evening reflecting on the above, and decided to copy out my notes into full sentences, and before I knew it, I've written a little something and I guess I'd like to share it with you, see if we share thoughts on the matter... Are you making any Dharmic NY resolutions? Does it even apply to Buddhists if we are already commited to self-transcendence?

What do you think?

Here is the blog, and people today have been going mad over it, but mainly non-Buddhists... Thats a good thing, right? I'm curious as to what other practitioners feel about it :-)

thedharma-farmer.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/new-years-resolutions-to-be-or-not-to.htmlimage

In love and metta,

DF xx

Comments

• Hehehe! Used to be me... ;-) old samskaras die hard, as they say....

anataman
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I usually see resolutions as vows to do what we have formally been unable to do.
    What ever obstacle made us unable to do it on one side of the year, probably exists unchanged on its other side. And yet, if everything changes, our ability to surmount that obstacle must eventually change also.
    So, in the end, the main power of a resolution is the public declaring of it so that the peer pressure or embarrassment at not doing it, is added to our efforts to succeed where we were formally were unable to.
    I wonder if its another definition of a Sangha.
    The_Dharma_FarmerDandelionlobsterEvenThird
  • @how - Nice man, very concise, I like it.. Using impermanence as a motivator and facilitator, and the public aspect to make it "binding" - there is a Pali word I think for "fear of the disapproval of one's spiritual superiors", does anyone know it? It is listed as one of the tools to use to determine if an action is skilful or not.... I think it's in the sutas, can't remember where...

In the interests of openness, and to save those in a rush the "hassle" of reading my thoughts on the matter, my resolutions in summary were thus:

1. Be a less cynical writer
    2. Further develop my capacity to change my unskilful samskaras into skilful ones.
    3. Practice "Just Sitting" more
    4. Write shorter, more concise blog posts as well as longer ones.

*Spoiler alert - the article takes about 5 min to read, so best grab a coffee ;-)

I chose this year to make the positive formulation of the precepts an area of focus, especially no.3 and no.5 ;-)

Thanks for your thoughts, great stuff!
  • Does it even apply to Buddhists if we are already commited to self-transcendence?

Made only one
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/20255/resolution-plans

'Achieved' it already. Next!
    What do you think?
    Not really something I bother with . . .

Did I get it wrong again? Tsk, tsk. Must try . . .
    gentler . . .
    :o
    The_Dharma_Farmer
  • Many years ago I made a resolution to not make resolutions.
  • @JohnG -How did it go? Me too, only I failed, and became a Buddhist instead! Lol... To me it seems as a practicing lay Buddhist that we should either make the resolution to continued spiritual growth every day up to and beyond enlightenment itself, or every day make the resolution to try and practice the Dharma, to treat each 24 hours as a gift :-)

Thoughts?

DF XX
    lobster
  • I've been very successful in this aspect. It cleared my mind of 'wanting' and 'seeking a specific thing which really doesn't exist. Instead I see everything in it's order, and purpose, and I can move on to the end of the journey ready to tell my story.
    The_Dharma_Farmer
  • Ah, another vote for the "shunyata/no goal/Zen-ies then ;-) hehe! I wish I was that type of person - I am a useless wrech of a man, a basic creature, and am millions of lives from Supreme Enlightenment, lol! Small achievable goals work for me.

I try to follow the upward spiral, appreciate rather that appropriate, and actually do some good in this world. One or two of my friends are so concerned with vertical integration and higher dhyanic states that they don't actually do anything in society with the little insight they have gained! Lol! Middle way, as always I suppose, lol!
    howlobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    I think the best resolutions are things we've already managed to do. :p
    The_Dharma_Farmer
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    I vow this year to :

To enlighten all beings on all worlds.
    To provide the sentient beings with whatever material needs they require.
    To correct heretical views [The internet is making this so much easier.] and inspire beings toward the path of the Bodhisattva.
    To help beings follow the Precepts, even if they failed before.
    To heal beings born with deformities, illness or other physical sufferings.
    To help relieve the destitute and the sick.
    To help women.
    To help heal mental afflictions and delusions.
    To help the oppressed be free from suffering (and their oppressors!).
    To relieve those who suffer from terrible hunger and thirst.
    To help clothe those who are destitute and suffering from cold and mosquitoes.

I'm going to start with the mosquito netting, it looks like the easiest task on the list.

(Yeah, that's a lightly modified Medicine Buddha's vow list)

The_Dharma_Farmer
  • JainarayanJainarayan Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I'm going to try (No! Try not. Do or do not. There is no try) to live up to the Eightfold Path, Six Perfections and Five Precepts as best I can, be a better person, more compassionate, more aware, more equipoise. And lose this damn 30 lbs!
    The_Dharma_Farmer
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I take refuge in the Buddha
    I take refuge in the Dharma
    I take refuge in the Sangha

Not Creating Evil
    Practicing Good
    Actualizing Good For Others

Affirm life; Do not kill
    Be giving; Do not steal
    Honor the body; Do not misuse sexuality
    Manifest truth; Do not lie