Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

So It Begins

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25694630

I see very similar patterns to what happened in 2010 when I first came here. Back then I would see day in day out a TV station that was controlled by the Red Shirts, they would have rallies and talks whilst they all camped out in Bangkok. For the past 3 weeks the Yellow Shirts have had their own TV channel where leaders of their movement and people address massive audiences in excess of 100,000. And now the first real party on party act of violence, and all this before the 13th when the Yellow Shirts have vowed to close Bangkok and shut it down. Get out the pop corn people because I sense something big is going to be playing out in the coming weeks. It is a shame that this country cannot find peace even among it's masses.

Comments

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Oh dear, I'm booked to fly into BKK on February 17th... I hope the airport iwill be open.

Yeah, it's all about me.
    Poor old Thailand, what a situation. No easy way out.
  • Thankfully it's in Bangkok only. I've in stayed overnight in 5 different cities in Thailand this week and passed through countless towns and villages. There has been nothing out of the ordinary.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited January 2014
    robot said:

Thankfully it's in Bangkok only. I've in stayed overnight in 5 different cities in Thailand this week and passed through countless towns and villages. There has been nothing out of the ordinary.

You won't find anything out of the ordinary unless you go to Bangkok, however as they are going to try and shut the place down, if Bangkok shuts down, Thailand as a functioning country shuts down. 25% of the population lives there and think about all of the work, cash flow, produce etc. I have their channel on now (if you are near a TV anytime it is channel 15 on my Thai TV), and they seem more angry than ever. They are there all night every night, just like the red shirts were in 2010.

@JamestheGiant I hope you have no disruptions, however I have a feeling you will have some kind of disruptions. Some years ago the Yellow Shirts actually sat on the runway of the airport in protest, don't think they are doing that this year though, just trying to shut down Bangkok from functioning.
  • Steve_BSteve_B Veteran
    edited January 2014
    A few decades a go I saw on a US TV comedy show (Saturday Night Live) a comedian say something to the effect of: "More Americans know that putting a sleeping person's hand in warm water will make them urinate, than know which side the US is on in the South Yemen Civil War." It made me reflect on war in a new way. Think of famous battles. Who won? What were they fighting over? I realized that viewed from any reasonable distance, either in geography or time, violence is pointless. And mass violence is massively pointless.

I realize this is of existential, critical importance to many in Thailand. Viewed from here, it seems a tempest in a teapot. Humans are shooting each other and getting ready to cripple the capital city because some people don't like the prime minister's brother, who by the way does not live in Thailand.
    ThailandTomcvalue
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    One thing that has gone relatively unnoticed in that two of the royal princesses, including Sirindhorn, will conveniently be out of the country. Meanwhile the king and queen are out of town...actually, down near you Tom.
  • have you left ajahn brahm ?

Oh dear, I'm booked to fly into BKK on February 17th... I hope the airport iwill be open.

Yeah, it's all about me.
    Poor old Thailand, what a situation. No easy way out.

• jaejae Veteran
    @ThailandTom...stay safe mate
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    hermitwin said:

have you left ajahn brahm ?

No way, it''s great here. Inspiring, interesting, excellent.
    I'm just off on one last holiday, to see Wat Pah Nanachat and a few other monasteries iin Thailand before I am trapped here for five years. Well, maye trapped is the wrong word.! Committed for five years, that's a better way to put it.
    Plus I have to visit home anyway, to clear out junk and boxes of stuff from my storage.
    Then I will be back to ordain, woo hoo!
    BhikkhuJayasaraVastmind
  • Yesterday, east of Phitsanulok, I passed a truck hauling a tank. I hope it wasn't heading to Bangkok.
  • vinlyn said:

One thing that has gone relatively unnoticed in that two of the royal princesses, including Sirindhorn, will conveniently be out of the country. Meanwhile the king and queen are out of town...actually, down near you Tom.

Yea I know, he loves Hua Hin and will probably be in his palace I would imagine which is literally 5 minutes away from where I live.

I am only 25 and have only been here for 4 years, yet I can see this almost endless cycle going on and on and on, it doesn't put me off too much but it does make me wonder. Something needs to change but I have no idea what.

@JamestheGiant are you going to be ordained soon then here in Thailand? Kudos to you, I would love to myself personally and have wanted to for a long time, but I am keeping myself back if that makes sense. Can you speak Thai at all? Anyway good luck with the 17th and fingers crossed :)
  • As I said today is the 'start' of this shutdown

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25708092
  • A friend of mine is flying in to Bangkok tomorrow then supposedly meeting me in Chiang Mai the next day. If he makes it I'll get a first hand report.
    ThailandTom
  • robot said:

A friend of mine is flying in to Bangkok tomorrow then supposedly meeting me in Chiang Mai the next day. If he makes it I'll get a first hand report.

I have just seen the news and it seems that the red shirts are starting to protest and gather in the North around Sisaket and Issan in general. I saw on facebook a plane full of protesters, but I have no idea what that is about and what it may have to do with the airport itself. It will be interesting to hear from your friends testimony
  • We are going to do the Mae Hong Son loop then head to Laos for a week or so. Hopefully things get better not worse.
    I read that the protesters want to cancel the elections and appoint a citizens council, whatever that is. Sounds like the opposite of democracy anyway.
    @mindatrisk could learn a thing or two from these folks.
  • robot said:

We are going to do the Mae Hong Son loop then head to Laos for a week or so. Hopefully things get better not worse.
    I read that the protesters want to cancel the elections and appoint a citizens council, whatever that is. Sounds like the opposite of democracy anyway.
    @mindatrisk could learn a thing or two from these folks.

I've just seen there are red shirts up in Chiang Mai as well protesting, I think this is not going to get better, only before it gets worse. The hospitals are preparing for an influx of people.

I love Laos, have a great time up there and stay safe. Do you know that I read on the Laos embassy website that you are advised to let your country know you are going into Laos because it is considered that dangerous? That is mainly due to all of the un-exploded bombs and lack of policing in many parts though.
  • I spent some time in Laos last year. Very nice. But don't go off the road for a leak without your metal detector.