Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What objects of meditation bring mindfulness into your everyday life?

2»

Comments

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Tessbaby said:

@anataman I didn't flirtasiously promise you anything so I would appreciate it if you could stop being a pompous bombastic asshole and tell your peers the truth

OK OK I will put everyone straight: @Tessbaby didn't promise me the better than sex cake recipe- she said she would dig up the recipe for me. Happy now?

• anataman said:

Tessbaby said:

@anataman I didn't flirtasiously promise you anything so I would appreciate it if you could stop being a pompous bombastic asshole and tell your peers the truth

OK OK I will put everyone straight: @Tessbaby didn't promise me the better than sex cake recipe- she said she would dig up the recipe for me. Happy now?

I think it was the "flirtatiously" part that pissed her off. I can see that.
    For some of us single guys it's hard to think that cake could be better than sex.
    Truth be told it's probably 60/40 for the cake, when it's all said and done.
    As they say " the proof of the pudding is in the eating".
    Thank you @robot - I got that - I was just playing up to the title she gave me.

Jeesh if you are going to offer up 'better than sex case', don't be surprised if a little playful sexual teasing goes on (defn of Flirtation).

Whats wrong with flirtation anyway? Life is boring without a little humorous banter and innocent flirting is a form of banter. Perhaps @Tessbaby was just being a little coquettish.

No I take that back - I expect that under that chic veneer theirs a wolf ready to bite my head off.

Sorry @Tessbaby xxx
  • anataman said:

No I take that back - I expect that under that chic veneer theirs a wolf ready to bite my head off.

I've been bitten enough. Treat them all like they are your daughter, sister or mother.
    You won't get laid but you stand a better chance of keeping your head intact.
    howKundo
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    robot said:

For some of us single guys it's hard to think that cake could be better than sex.

It depends what kind of cake you're talking about. :p
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    edited January 2014
    @Tessbaby - you go girl! I love it when bombastic assholes are put in their place! Interesting that @anataman read the flirtatiousness in to your previous comment, when it clearly was not meant. @anatamanan - do you remember a lecture on "projection" that you might have received in a basic psychology or human behavior class?
    anataman
  • jaejae Veteran
    @anataman....try yoga, once you become accustomed to the routine and know the positions you can close your eyes, its all about the breath and it keeps you fit too.

You could get your kids to join you, it might be fun seeing each other getting tied up in knots, my daughter calls it the 'pretzel legs exercise'.

The only problem you may have is your dog licking your face when you are doing the relaxation at the end ... that can be quite distracting!
    anatamanJeffrey
  • anataman said:

Walking meditation is something that makes people mindful, but what about writing poetry or drawing or playing an instrument - I don't do these things myself but do buddhist practitioners that do feel they are presently mindful when they do?

if the poem or the drawing or the play is a great work there is no doubt that the mindfulness has involved during it's creation

List of practices that lead to mindfulness:
    1. Sitting
    2. Walking
    3. ……………….
    3. anything involve in our life
    even during having our food -with each mouthful we can try (i say try) to be mindful
    even preparing our sand-witch we can be (try to be) mindful
    when we brush our teeth we can be (try to be) mindful

from morning we wake up until we go to bed we can be (try to be) mindful
    jaeanataman
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    In the Zen tradition calligraphy and Ikebana (flower arranging) are accepted as adjuncts to sitting or walking practice, but the latter are primary.
    I agree about the suggestion of doing yoga. There are mornings when I go to yoga first thing and I skip meditation. I end up in the same state, which I call "yoga brain". Actually yoga is somewhat more effective, because I do it for one to one and a half hours, and I only meditate for twenty minutes.
    jaeanataman
  • anandoanando Explorer
    edited January 2014
    Hi,
    i did the meditation of the 8fold path of Gotamo Buddho.
    This kind of unconscious attention can be found within the Four pillars of Insight, that is embodied within the 8fold path. Either you watch your thoughts, collected and dissolve them or you´re just wathing them come, exist and go. So you don´t need to apply
    compulsive attention.

sakko
    jaeCitta
  • jaejae Veteran
    @anataman... not sure if anyone will agree but certain songs bring me back, for example Jack Jones...'Never know' I think his words have Buddha nature... just my opinion and makes me feel good (content.. whatever you choose to call it)

Never Know Lyrics

I hear this old story before

If people keep appealing for the metaphors

Don't leave much up to the imagination,

So I, wanna give this imagery back

No it just aint so easy like that

so, I turn the page and read the story again

and again and again

It just seems the same, with a diff. name

We're breaking every building

and we're growing

always guessing

Never knowing

Shocking but we're nothing

we're just moments

We're Clever but we're clueless

We're just human

Amusing but confusing

Were trying but where is this all leading

Never Know

It all happened so much faster

than you could say disaster

Wanna take a time lapse

and look at it backwards

From the last one

and maybe thats just the answer

that we're after

but after all

we're just a bubble in a boiling pot

just one breath in a chain of thought

the moments just combusting

feel certain but we'll never never know

just seems the same

give it a diff. name

We're beggin and we're needing

and we're trying and we're breathing

Never knowing

we're just moments

We're just human

Amusing but confusing

Helping, we're building

and we're growing

Never Know

Knock knock on the door to door

tell ya that the metaphor is better than yours

and you can either sink or swim

things are looking pretty grim

If you dont believe in what this one feeding

Its got no feeling

So I read it again

and again and again

Just seems the same

too many different names

our hearts are strong our hands are weak

We'll always be competing never knowing

Never knowing

we're just moments

We're just human

Amusing but confusing

But the truth is

all we got is questions

We'll Never Know

Never Know

Never Know

anataman
  • jaejae Veteran
    Jack Johnson even!!
  • When you notice that you had drifted off, think of how long you did it for. If it was not longer than 10-20 sec. than no problem there, just bring yourself back to focus. If it keeps happening for long durations then you might need to do something else for the moment.
    robot said:

I am looking for any practice(s) that helps me be more mindfully present - and invite your suggestions?

In Theravada mindfulness is based on the 4 foundations - body, feeling, mind-state and mind-objects.
    It's a bit too "internally focussed" for me though, so I sometimes use the 6 elements as an external focus ( earth, wind, fire, water, space and consciousness ).
    anataman
  • robot said:

I am looking for any practice(s) that helps me be more mindfully present - and invite your suggestions?

In Theravada mindfulness is based on the 4 foundations - body, feeling, mind-state and mind-objects.
    It's a bit too "internally focussed" for me though, so I sometimes use the 6 elements as an external focus ( earth, wind, fire, water, space and consciousness ).
    I can't figure out how my name got attached to that quote.
  • robot said:

My Lama (Tibetan) also teaches on the four foundations.
  • @anataman
    during an 'operation' a surgeon must be mindful

so

how many operations you do per a day?
    Currently none as I am taking a sabbatical hence my ability to frequent a forum like this. But I have regularly practiced mindfulness and compassion during surgery. I enjoy the emergency and trauma most. Keeping level-headed in extreme situations is difficult but brings great concentration and focus.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Namaste,

My mortality keeps me mindful these days. So much so that when I go to the cemetery to visit, I sit in front of my grandparents' grave and meditate too. I find the place very soothing and calming.

In metta,
    Raven
    anatamanlobsterjaeVastmind
  • I practice in the grocery store- be aware of everyone around me and avoid getting in their way, don't stop in the middle of the aisle, just wait if someone is looking for something that is where what I am looking for is located, be helpful when I can.
    Also, increased my awareness of how many people are not practicing mindfulness all around me.

:thumbsup:
    Seems like a plan.

Once practicing mindfulness, awareness in the midst of the snoozing hordes of humanity [shhh . . . . don't wake the Baby Buddhas] we very soon realize where we are and recognise similar attributes in others.
    I love to practice in supermarkets, walking down the streets, or my new practice of cycling on the Thames South Bank that 'welcomes considerate cyclists', avoiding the distracted tourists.

jaeanataman
    lobster said:

I love to practice in supermarkets, walking down the streets, or my new practice of cycling on the Thames South Bank that 'welcomes considerate cyclists', avoiding the distracted tourists.

A Buddhist I knew drove into the back of a parked car while listening to a tape on mindfulness in the car. Strange but true.
    ;)
    anatamanChaz
    Jeffrey said:

My Lama (Tibetan) also teaches on the four foundations.
    There seem to be different approaches, but IMO the most challenging thing is actually remembering to do it. ;)
    jae
    lobster said:

I practice in the grocery store- be aware of everyone around me and avoid getting in their way, don't stop in the middle of the aisle, just wait if someone is looking for something that is where what I am looking for is located, be helpful when I can.
    Also, increased my awareness of how many people are not practicing mindfulness all around me.

:thumbsup:
    Seems like a plan.

Once practicing mindfulness, awareness in the midst of the snoozing hordes of humanity [shhh . . . . don't wake the Baby Buddhas] we very soon realize where we are and recognise similar attributes in others.

When do you do this practice of welcoming considerate cyclists on the South Bank because I'm going to be there one day in my lycra and day glow yellow cycling helmet and be kind considerate and generous to every cyclist and pedestrian I meet that day. I'll get a t-shirt with your avatar printed on it and 'Shhh don't wake the baby buddha' printed underneath. If you don't notice me in that set up, then you are not paying enough attention and being mindful or I'm not there!

In fact I'm going to have 1000 t-shirts printed and sell them at the TATE gallery. That will confuse you.

The South Bank is nice to walk along. We regularly do it as a family. In fact we are possibly looking to get a flat near there, we like it so much. I won't be able to walk there without giggling and saying to my wife and kids, 'Sssshh don't wake the babies'
    jaelobster

• There seem to be different approaches, but IMO the most challenging thing is actually remembering to do it. ;)

Indeed.
    In Sufism they describe their practice, mindfulness of the divine, as 'remembrance'.

Apart from T-shirt printing, we can bring more and more associations into our daily life from any formal experience we have.

For example the body scanning used in yoga nidra, or breath awareness can be used to become aware of tightness and tension and . . . breath out and release . . .

:wave:
    Ok Here it is @ lobster, as head of @lobster ventures what do you think before we go to final production. As cofounder and head of design of @lobster 'incorporated' I would suggest that a charitable cause be recommended by yourself.

cvalueVastmindJeffreyjae
  • LiiLii Explorer
    How is correct Anataman, patience ought to be the source of your mindfulness. Waiting is a form of action. Sometimes it is the only action available to us that is reasonable.
    Jeffrey
  • Stillness is a good object for meditation. Still yet flowing as in still flowing water.
    I agree with both of you @Lili and @wangchuey. Patience is important to enable you to tolerate your self and the suffering that comes with it and stillness brings mindfulness with it, almost as a given, if you ask me.