Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Non-human companions

anatamananataman Who needs a title?Where am I? Veteran
edited January 2014 in General Banter
Many people call them pets, which to my mind is a bit derogatory as they are actually non-human sentient beings. There are times when my non-human companion provides me with such love, affection and emotional comfort without making any demands of me other than to let her go out and take a pee, and I never have to explain anything to her about what I'm feeling, and if I do because I'm feeling down or low she teaches me to stop feeling sorry for myself because she doesn't really care anyway.

She is called Meg and is an English Setter and regularly causes me great pain when she chews up my daughters toys or like recently my kids new passport when it came through the letterbox, or a few Christmas presents etc. but I wouldn't change her for the world. I often think that she is a boddhisattva guiding me along the path, but that is really just a throw away comment to annoy one or two of you!

Here she is in her present incarnation, nobly sitting and calmly abiding in her naturally calm state. However, get her out in the park and she loses control and her natural instinct is to chase the squirrels and pigeons.

Does anyone else have a non-human companion that walks the path with them?

jaeToshZaylcvalueVastmindInvincible_summer

Comments

• 3 cats 1 dog

One cat does the limbo when you try to pet her. One tosses his cookies. Another makes little meows constantly as if she is mimicking human speech. The dog sneezes whenever he wants a treat and barks at cars and other dogs.
    jaecvalue
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    How do you cope with 3 cats? I had one as a kid and it hated me! It was a ginger Tom and had claws sharper than scalpels. Sadly he was dumped on my doorstep in a carrier bag after being drowned and electrocuted in our next door neighbors bathtub. Our Neighbour bred show mice, and my Tom had managed to break in and kill and eat his prize specimens but got caught in he act.

As an 8 year old I never really got over that experience, even now I am left feeling stunned by that action. I got him back though, but that is another wicked story and it doesn't involve pets! It does however involve his pellet gun that I stole from him.

jae
    It is so wonderful to hear your passion combined with compassion @hamsaka! I can barely cope with a 5 year old dog and 3 young kids, but sharing your house with a flying can opener, cats and a brazen hussy of possum. LoL
    Hamsakajae
    Tosh said:

Here's Scooby, though he looks more like Scrappy. He's a real character; grumpy in the mornings - he just wants to cuddle up on our bed (and we let him) and then play all day. He's spoilt, but we love him to bits.

photo DSCF3116.jpg

He looks like he could double for that that dog in 'the mask'.

edited January 2014
    For some reason my picture of Meg has disappeared! Well I'll try again!
    Tosh
  • Mine is Theo. He is one friend who is always satisfied to be by my side. He's a cross between a chihuahua and a dachshund.
    jaeanataman
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    1 cat, so I'm racking up the bad karma for feeding him what he prefers. I've reduced it somewhat by feeding him typical commercial cat food which is part plant matter, part meat based (as opposed to feeding him a pure meat diet). He's racking up the bad karma for killing anything mouse-sized that moves.

On the other hand, the cat sits zazen with me and often will independently sit zazen on the cushions on his own.

There is a jakata tale about ravens that heard the 12 chains of dependent arising and in later lives were able to recognize the Dharma (which explains the Chinese custom of preaching the 12 chains of dependent arising to animals). I think in a secular context, the message in that fiction is that we ought to treat all sentient beings as if they were able to become enlightened-- it's a good policy for them and us.

• My companion animal is a wild caught Amazon parrot. Most recently we celebrated our 31st anniversary. In the beginning of our journey I did receive the beak of correction from time to time.
    Hamsakaanataman
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I understand what you mean, Grackle, by the "beak of correction"! Before moving overseas I had an African Grey and 2 conures. Now, back from overseas, I have a sweet conure who rarely beaks me. He (?) is 3.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    My partner has two dogs and a cat, but I wouldn't really call them my companions. They are entirely his and, honestly, I more tolerate them than anything else.

I want a couple of rats though. I think they are wonderful little creatures. :)
  • jaejae Veteran
    @DaftChris...rats are fascinating, I put a bird table out and they loved it, its just outside my bedroom window it was better than the telly...I don't put bird food out any more though as we got a bit over run!! :eek2:
    Tosh
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    grackle said:

My companion animal is a wild caught Amazon parrot. Most recently we celebrated our 31st anniversary. In the beginning of our journey I did receive the beak of correction from time to time.

I have a very small scar on my right nostril from the 'beak of correction' from my African Grey. He was 16 years old when I brought him home, and I've since learned he has a well established, comprehensive personality that is as well established as my own. It took us a year and a half after the beak of correction to begin anew with a physical relationship (him standing on me, being handled). That's why he feels like a roommate, not a 'pet'. He is a sentient being unlike any other critter I've had such intimate contact with. He's taught me respect and to get off my crappy little human pedestal. My relationship with Axel gave me new insights into my other companion critters.

He's kind of like having a husband minus all the same-species attraction/sex/procreation thing. We give each other space. We put up with each other. Sometimes, we've had it with each other. All we have to do is look into each others eyes, though, to remember what we are doing here :)

Gassho :)

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

There is a jakata tale about ravens that heard the 12 chains of dependent arising and in later lives were able to recognize the Dharma (which explains the Chinese custom of preaching the 12 chains of dependent arising to animals). I think in a secular context, the message in that fiction is that we ought to treat all sentient beings as if they were able to become enlightened-- it's a good policy for them and us.

Well then my house critters are making a beeline for a more fortunate rebirth. I listen to audio dharma and audiobooks several times a week, and so do they because we are all in the same big room.

In the summer, I'll turn up the volume and open all the doors and windows so the chickens, ducks and geese get a chance. I could install a few outdoor speakers . . .
    jaematthewmartin
    Well done and good luck - your house sounds like its becoming increasingly overcrowded!
  • jaejae Veteran
    latest count... two guinea pigs, two kittens, two dogs, three kids, two almost adults and a Granny in the wing!! Plus the multitude of kids friends that seem to live here every weekend.. happy days :)
    VastmindToshanataman
    edited January 2014
    Have you read 'a squash and a squeeze' by Julia Donaldson @Jae - I used to read it to my children, and my daughter loved it.

Dharma everywhere ;-)