Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What's your profession?

2»

Comments

• NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    Jayantha said:

how said:

@Jayantha
    like with everything, from guns to computers, there is no inherent bad quality to having internet connection, it's how you use it that determines if it is beneficial or a detriment.

So your meditation center has guns then?????

They dont, but ive owned guns for years, and they are only 10 feet from where i meditate.. Oh no!
    How exactly do you use a gun beneficially?
  • DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    Steve_B said:

Cellphones, guns, computers . . .
    Which of these is not like the others?

Guns, as it can only be misused to kill one person at a time whereas the other two can be misused to kill many.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    @ Jayantha
    Folks explain their entry into livelihoods not recommended by the Buddha with the same argument.
    Consider if this is really more about clinging to the concepts of identity defense than of harmlessness.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Nevermind said:

Jayantha said:

how said:

@Jayantha
    like with everything, from guns to computers, there is no inherent bad quality to having internet connection, it's how you use it that determines if it is beneficial or a detriment.

They dont, but ive owned guns for years, and they are only 10 feet from where i meditate.. Oh no!
    the same way you use any man made item beneficially..

Steve_B said:

Cellphones, guns, computers . . .
    Which of these is not like the others?

Guns, as it can only be misused to kill one person at a time whereas the other two can be misused to kill many.

yes.. I know a soldier who almost died in Afghanistan. He survived only because the trigger on the ied failed to activate when the person watching his patrol used the cell phone to detonate it.

anyways we are taking this off topic.. I only made an analogy that turned into a debate . Those who wish to respond to my thread thats fine, I will not respond to the line of talk afterwards.

• I used to work doing research for the military on polymers. In college I did that. If I go back into science I will try to do more benevolent research. Perhaps even teaching/tutoring.
  • This seems a good a place as any to introduce myself. Just joined here. I'm a military officer stationed in Alaska, and not surprisingly, a paratrooper as well. I'm part of a cavalry unit whose wartime job would be to scout out the enemy or reconnoiter routes.

Outside of that, although not a paid job, I also collect and refurbish a lot of historical guns. I keep all sorts of modern rifles and pistols as well and carry one all the time off duty. I second the others who say it's an amoral tool. I can use it for evil or to feed my family or defend them.
    BhikkhuJayasaraJeffreyTheswingisyellow
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Welcome @Frozen_Paratrooper! Exactly the LAST thing on Planet Earth I'd ever do; jump out of an airplane. I have to take a Xanax to even board one.

What a mix of folks we have here :) It's very encouraging.

Gassho :)
  • My thought exactly the first time I looked out the open door of a rickety C-130. And I'm mortified of heights.
    Invincible_summer
  • Nevermind said:

Jayantha said:

how said:

@Jayantha

Against bad people?
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Registered nurse-Emergency department-15years...............looking for another specialty area to practice nursing. My focus has changed dramatically over the last few years and I really want to take time and help people not just run them through an aggressive system.
    Invincible_summer
    Jayantha said:

Nevermind said:

Jayantha said:

how said:

@Jayantha

:o Uh, when you say "any," does that include things like atomic bombs? :wtf:
  • Registered nurse-Emergency department-15years...............looking for another specialty area to practice nursing. My focus has changed dramatically over the last few years and I really want to take time and help people not just run them through an aggressive system.

What do you think of nursing in the mental health ward? I have muchos gratitude towards the staff that I was with at the hospital when I was in the mental ward.
  • betaboy said:

Nevermind said:

Jayantha said:

how said:

@Jayantha

Against bad people?
    On one occasion, I pulled a gun on a very frightening person trying to force his way into my vehicle when I was stuck at a light. He ran, I didn't have to shoot, and we both went home alive.
    JeffreyvinlynTheswingisyellowKundo
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

Registered nurse-Emergency department-15years...............looking for another specialty area to practice nursing. My focus has changed dramatically over the last few years and I really want to take time and help people not just run them through an aggressive system.

What do you think of nursing in the mental health ward? I have muchos gratitude towards the staff that I was with at the hospital when I was in the mental ward.
    Jeffrey I think that would be wonderful unfortunately the opportunities in my rural area are minimal in this regard. Have you seen the treatment mental health patients receive in the ER? It's poor and it saddens me. A change is definitely needed, I need patience and more time on the cushion. Something will come along that Is more in tune with my ethic and outlook.
    All the best,
    Todd

Jeffreyjae
  • corkcork Explorer
    Mean ol' screw at a prison.
    Cork your probably not, I doubt you would be here. That must be a tight job at times.
  • corkcork Explorer
    Thanks. It is tense. I bell the cat every day. It's a real art. If you remember that then you go home with your head held high. If you don't then you are part of the problem.

The mean ol' screw thing...some inmates want to be yelled at. It comforts them (and it's what they know). I oblige and everything's fine. Heck, if you pay attention then you will see something new everyday...in all walks of life.
    jae
    edited January 2014
    Bell the cat?? Not familiar with that term. If it's about keeping one's perspective that's awesome
  • corkcork Explorer
    Old story...fairy tale, maybe. The mice decided that it would be a great idea if the cat had a warning system on it. Therefore less mice would be eaten when it came around. The cat should wear a bell. But which one among us would actually volunteer to bell the cat? ;)
    Theswingisyellow
    Nevermind said:

Jayantha said:

Nevermind said:

Jayantha said:

how said:

@Jayantha

Well nuclear power gives me the power im using right now.. I've lived my whole life within 15 miles of the oldest nuke plant in the country.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Jayantha said:

...I've lived my whole life within 15 miles of the oldest nuke plant in the country.

Ah, so that explains it.

:D
    BhikkhuJayasarahowDharmaMcBum
    vinlyn said:

Jayantha said:

...I've lived my whole life within 15 miles of the oldest nuke plant in the country.

Ah, so that explains it.

:D
    Ahaha! Ya know people fish in the stream right by the plant and i always make the simpsons joke and ask if they caught any 3 eyed fishes.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Currently I'm a student, studying to become a Occupational/Physical Therapy assistant. I tutor English on the side, and have done English tutoring in the past.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Currently unemployed IT Geek but Reiki Healer and Tarot Reader (as my business is slowly taking off - YAY).
    EvenThird
    edited January 2014
    Jayantha said:

Nevermind said:

Jayantha said:

Nevermind said:

Jayantha said:

how said:

@Jayantha

Well nuclear power gives me the power im using right now.. I've lived my whole life within 15 miles of the oldest nuke plant in the country.
    I didn't know nuclear plants generated power with atomic bombs. At only 15 miles away, the shock waves must be rather annoying.

• High school teacher. New lessons in lovingkindness and patience every day. :)
    Vastmind
  • I'm a law student and also a visual artist.
    EvenThird
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    i am working 2 vastly different part time-ish jobs- I work as an After-School Recreation counsouler doing art with kids AND as low man on the totem pole of a 3-man-Father-Son custom woodworking studio, of which i am neither the father or the son. Sand this, paint that, rout this, glue that.

@betaboy- care to share your job, or was this just a ploy to get all of us to uneccesarily bolster our obviously "still intact" egos?
  • I am a hairstylist, but am also in nursing school. I was looking for a second career and decided that I didn't want to provide a service, but to be of service. Although being a hairstylist is definitely a benefit to others, I wanted to choose to do something that I felt was rewarding, beneficial and helpful to others on a different level.
  • I am a hairstylist, but am also in nursing school. I was looking for a second career and decided that I didn't want to provide a service, but to be of service. Although being a hairstylist is definitely a benefit to others, I wanted to choose to do something that I felt was rewarding, beneficial and helpful to others on a different level.
    EvenThird