Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Supernatural Experiences

2»

Comments

• Very well said @ParlaDharma. Thank you. I can't say it better than this so I am going to quote it here.

By @ParlaDharma:
    I've been under the opinion for a long time that any phenomena that we call "supernatural" is just natural - because nothing in this universe can be above or beyond what is natural.

That being said - Phenomena such as ghosts, spirits, miracles, cryptozoological beings, paranormal phenomena - these phenomena (if real) are all natural and remain in the realm of the esoteric because science has not yet found an explanation or reason for them, or maybe it is just because we lack the equipment (biologically and mechanically) to scientifically validate them?

With that I am reminded of the example of the rainbow. Rainbows do not actually exist but what causes the appearance of these rainbows is the reaction our human visual spectrum with the environmental conditions that cause them to appear. Can there be phenomena that exist outside of our own perception as well? To assume that there are not any because our limited human senses cannot detect them is just arrogant, in my opinion. We are severely limited in our senses even if we are at the "pinnacle" of evolution on our planet.
  • I've been under the opinion for a long time that any phenomena that we call "supernatural" is just natural - because nothing in this universe can be above or beyond what is natural.

That being said - Phenomena such as ghosts, spirits, miracles, cryptozoological beings, paranormal phenomena - these phenomena (if real) are all natural and remain in the realm of the esoteric because science has not yet found an explanation or reason for them, or maybe it is just because we lack the equipment (biologically and mechanically) to scientifically validate them?

With that I am reminded of the example of the rainbow. Rainbows do not actually exist but what causes the appearance of these rainbows is the reaction our human visual spectrum with the environmental conditions that cause them to appear. Can there be phenomena that exist outside of our own perception as well? To assume that there are not any because our limited human senses cannot detect them is just arrogant, in my opinion. We are severely limited in our senses even if we are at the "pinnacle" of evolution on our planet.

Not sure if anything I said made sense, I am not a scientist after all. Just been very observant in my own life about things. :)

I agree that so-called "paranormal" phenomena are scientific discoveries waiting to happen.

There definitely are phenomena that are outside most humans' perception, but that are perceived by animals. Animals will react very emotionally to hauntings sometimes, for example. I think they're sensitive to the electromagnetic phenomena that sometimes accompany those phenomena. They certainly seem aware of such "presences" on some level.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    @Jae that made no sense to me. What have you done?
  • I was a patrolman with the Pa. Capitol Police for twenty years, stationed at Harrisburg Pa., the capitol, like all capitols, have some of the most historic buildings and spaces of Pa.. And, the stories of some buildings being haunted, and results being that some officers refused to enter them. I was told of the lady in white at the Forum building, and the ghost of a politician who committed suicide on national TV roaming in the Finance building. Our jurisdiction included the Old Harrisburg Hospital grounds; a state psychiatric hospital.

Well, I did my job, but never ran into any ghosts, nor malevolent souls. I accepted that there are times when souls won't or can't cross, but I always felt contentment in these areas when I patrolled or answered calls. Sometimes I get just a tiny bit upset, all those who feared these places, and felt pain and anxiety and I not even a glimpse of the lady.

Look at how easy your mind is fooled- click on the better quality video
  • I've been under the opinion for a long time that any phenomena that we call "supernatural" is just natural - because nothing in this universe can be above or beyond what is natural.

Absence of proof is not proof of absence.

Not sure if anything I said made sense, I am not a scientist after all. Just been very observant in my own life about things. :)

All phenomenon are marked by emptiness and are arise from necessary conditions (dependently coarising).
    Dwelling at Savatthi. There the Blessed One addressed the monks: "I will teach you the origination of the world & the ending of the world. Listen & pay close attention. I will speak."

"As you say, lord," the monks responded to the Blessed One.

The Blessed One said: "And what is the origination of the world? Dependent on the eye & forms there arises eye-consciousness. The meeting of the three is contact. From contact as a requisite condition comes feeling. From feeling as a requisite condition comes craving. From craving as a requisite condition comes clinging/sustenance. From clinging/sustenance as a requisite condition comes becoming. From becoming as a requisite condition comes birth. From birth as a requisite condition, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair come into play. This is the origination of the world.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.044.than.html

• @JohnG, I wish I can be as brave as you! My first introduction to ghost was when I was very young (around 3 to 5 years old), my cousin told me the ghost in white is the most frightening at all. I didn't understand and didn't know why a white shadow could be so terrible so I dismissed it. But then I watched a series of ghost films on TV and I was so traumatized that it left a strong impression in my mind at a very young age. Then I saw my grand mother, my mother... everybody around me is afraid of ghosts. Many girls in my country got married because they are afraid to live alone, not because they are afraid of being lonely but because they are afraid of ghosts!

It has become a phobia to me, the moment I hear or think of ghost, I feel scared automatically. And I don't know how to de-couple them!
  • jaejae Veteran
    @cvalue... hi there, have you ever heard of a ghost hurting anyone? If you think of it like this maybe it will help you with your phobia, I hope so :)
    Who ya gonna call?
    jaeHamsaka
  • @jae, I know. My teacher said even if ghosts really exist, they don't have a physical body so they can't do a thing. My teacher always says if you see a white ghost, just walk through the white shadow. But I am not master of my feelings! My brain knows it's irrational but I still feel the fear. Just like my thinking and my feeling are two independent things which I don't have any control over!
  • jaejae Veteran
    @cvalue... hey what do I know I'm scared of tiny spiders (would never kill them though... their families might come and get me) x
    cvalue
  • Brave????? ME????? Oh no, I'm the biggest coward there is. :D
    cvalue
  • I feel scared automatically
    You lucky dog.
    All you have to do is think of a Buddha covered with a sheet to explore the emptiness of fear. Gosh you could have one on your shrine.

It's behind you . . .
    cvalue
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    vinlyn said:

One should look at every religion with the same set of standards.

I agree. Not easy to do though.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

vinlyn said:

One should look at every religion with the same set of standards.

I agree. Not easy to do though.
    That's very true, but nevertheless should be the goal.