Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

ACLU filed lawsuit against a public school for religious harassment

NMADDPNMADDP SUN Diego, California Veteran
Federal lawsuit was filed against a Louisiana public school for religious harassment by school's staff against a student who happens to be a Buddhist.

http://news.yahoo.com/aclu-accuses-la-school-religious-harassment-002027531.html

https://www.aclu.org/blog/religion-belief/if-you-want-fit-public-school-just-become-christian
Vastmind

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I guess one is never too old to learn!
    lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I'm sorry...yet another reason I'm glad I don't live in the USA....
    TheEccentricKundo
  • federica said:

Parts of the USA, please. Our response to this sort of idiot behavior is generally something like, "Oh, it's happening in one of those states. Typical."
    JainarayanHamsakaVastmind
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Well, it's so rare here, it doesn't happen in any state at all that even makes it newsworthy.
    It's common enough in the USA to make me wonder why the Gubmint there doesn't crack down more severely, promptly and publicly, on these so-called 'Bible-belt' states....

Or are votes more important than morals?
  • federica said:

Well, it's so rare here, it doesn't happen in any state at all that even makes it newsworthy.
    It's common enough in the USA to make me wonder why the Gubmint there doesn't crack down more severely, promptly and publicly, on these so-called 'Bible-belt' states....

No, what you're getting are the extremely rare exceptions. Don't forget how freekin huge the USA is, and how diverse. You have lilly-white towns in the Bible belt that are stuck in the 1950s, and huge multicultural cities that rival anything in the world, all with the same federal government and laws.
    vinlynYik_Yis_YiiParlaDharma
    You know how they have rehabilitation programmes for offenders of a certain type...? Well, if these idiots DO get the case won against them, they should spend a month in a Buddhist Monastery, and learn something.
  • JainarayanJainarayan Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Clear violation of the First Amendment. Some of these bible belt states never learn.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    On occasion, it's equally spooky hanging around with a bunch of Buddhists.
    howBeejsova
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I quite enjoy the bible belt states.. in fact the monastery I plan to ordain in IS in the mountains of one(west virginia).. people are nice and wave at you as you are walking down the road, and as far as I've seen/ been told even when they go into towns the monks and residents are not bothered. The monks even do alms rounds at the local town occasionally.

I guarantee you one thing.. no one is going to wave at you in a city.. unless it's with the middle finger. If you want generally nicer people you go as far away from cities as you can, living cooked up puts everyone on edge. I should know, I live in the most densely populated state in the union boarded by two major cities, New Jersey LOL.

but anyways lets not generalize and stereotype. We all do it and are guilty of it, yes i'm sure there are nice people in cities, same everywhere.
    ParlaDharmaBunks
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    federica said:

what a jerky thing to say. its your right to be a jerk, of course, but still so jerky.

federica said:

what a jerky thing to say. its your right to be a jerk, of course, but still so jerky.

you know those brits... *teehee*
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

federica said:

You have to remember, GB is a perfect country that never has and never will show any unfairness or oppression.

Toshhowseeker242
  • I shouldn't speak for @federica, but I'm sure she didn't mean any harm. Brits just talk funny compared to Americans. :lol:
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Founding fathers wanted to guarantee separation of "religion" and "state" ... may it be so.

What a wild story. I am thankful for their persistence, as it is a necessary step. Most of the deep south has nigh-hysterical evangelism.. but there are open minded people. I hope people write their family letters of support.. it is not easy introducing people to a new way of thought or looking at the world.

Three stages of truth by Schopenhauer:
    "First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self- evident."

:)

sending them some strength, and some open mindedness to the uninformed :)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Count me in with Federica's "jerkiness:" Group-think just plain gives me the heebie-jeebies, whether it's middle eastern religion police, what can be a Bible Belt insistence on "God," a Downton Abbey aristocracy, a bellicose sports club arrogance ... oh and the list goes on an on. Seriously, find me a collection of people who insist on agreeing and brook no suggestion of another outlook and I can feel the cringing start.

MY group and its group-think doesn't give me the heebie-jeebies at all, of course ... and it's not in the least bit jerky. If you want to know how open-minded I am, just ask me. :)
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    vinlyn said:

federica said:

You have to remember, GB is a perfect country that never has and never will show any unfairness or oppression.

Insightful, but remember it's the UK really. GB only encompasses Scotland, England and Wales. The UK also includes Northern Ireland; a place where for years Christians have killed other (but the wrong sort) of Christians.

• You are wasting your time there Tosh...trust me....And you haven't even mentioned the British Isles... :rolleyes:
    Tosh
    Tosh said:

vinlyn said:

federica said:

Insightful, but remember it's the UK really. GB only encompasses Scotland, England and Wales. The UK also includes Northern Ireland; a place where for years Christians have killed other (but the wrong sort) of Christians.

My apologies, I have forgotten that the sun always sets on the British Empire.

(That is the way that goes, isn't it?)

Actually, I somewhat admire the UK as compared to many, many nations...for what it is today.

• GlowGlow Veteran
    The harassment was completely out of line, but I am equally bothered by this:
    "She also regularly features religious questions on her tests such as "Isn't it amazing what the ______ has made!!!!"

When the Lanes' son "did not write in Roark's expected answer (LORD), she belittled him in front of the rest of the class."
    WTF kind of education are these children getting?! An educated populace is the foundation of a working republic. These children are being robbed of a decent education.
  • Say what you like about the UK, but federica is right . That would not be tolerated here.
    Schools have been closed for less.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Citta said:

Say what you like about the UK, but federica is right . That would not be tolerated here.
    Schools have been closed for less.

It is not tolerated here, either. As the article is pointing out.

You can't control everyone every minute. And people -- everywhere -- do wrong things that need correction.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I had a few F...wits as teachers who inadvertently showed me what I might expect out in the world. Not to excuse their F wittery but as representations of very real and current segments of society, their delusional contributions helped educate me as much as the "sane" teachers did.
    Of course, allow a group of F...wits are gather together under one school roof and it's a indoctrination by association.
    how said:

I had a few F...wits as teachers who inadvertently showed me what I might expect out in the world. Not to excuse their F wittery but as representations of very real and current segments of society, their delusional contributions helped educate me as much as the "sane" teachers did.
    Of course, allow a group of F...wits are gather together under one school roof and it's a indoctrination by association.

There's a lot of truth to that...not necessarily in the big things like this, but in the way children are treated and taught, in general.

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Jayantha said:

federica said:

you know those brits... *teehee*
    Hey, if about the only thing I knew about the USA was from news and movies, I wouldn't want to live here, either. The people I knew in Korea had a definite warped view of our lifestyle from what they heard and saw in the movies. Nothing but high speed car chases and people shooting each other everywhere and depending where you live, being gay might get you beat up or killed. Also depending on where you live, either hurricane or wildfire or tornados are getting ready to make your life interesting. Scary stuff.
    sndymorn
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    federica said:

Bingo. You passed the test, you can come on over now.

The "right wing" Republican party are as "christian" as Richard Dawkins. They just exploit the voter base. I've only lived in west coast states (California, Washington state) and they are fairly liberal. Washington state legalized marijuana and gay marriage last year so we're up there with Massachusetts for liberalism now . . . but that's only west of the Cascade mountains, the eastern part of the state is agricultural and ranch lands. I've never even been to to Bible Belt, it would seem like a different country even though it's not.
  • @Hamsaka, and ironically New Orleans and Atlanta are two of the gayest cities in the US. New Orleans' French Quarter and Bourbon Street are like how you'd picture the Atlantic City boardwalk on acid.
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    Oh I'll bet @Jainarayan! In Seattle we have Capitol Hill, Seattle's Gay Town, and when Iived in San Diego there was Hillcrest. Washingtonians are ancestors of Germans and Swedes etc, kind of an uptight bunch when you get right down to it, so when they swing hard it's probably a tenth of the swing going on in Atlanta or NO :D
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Hamsaka said:

Washingtonians are ancestors of Germans and Swedes etc, kind of an uptight bunch when you get right down to it, so when they swing hard it's probably a tenth of the swing going on in Atlanta or NO :D

Swedes uptight? You should read the history of those "uptight" Vikings then.
    Hamsaka
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    edited January 2014
    federica said:

Well, it's so rare here

Well that's a perfect reason to be a poop and insulting about a country you know nothing about, really. Sure - take an isolated incident in some po-dunk parish outside of BFE Louisiana, and hold the whole frikkin country resonsible for it.

Intelligent. Fair-minded. Buddhist.

Not. Not. Not.

If you don't want to come to the US, fine. Stay away. Who gives a shit? But, if you are gonna stay away, please do so for a good reason, like our version of Top Gear really sucks.
    howsndymorn
  • A lot of americans want a weak federal government and more controlled by individual states. So if Tennessee wants to teach evolution they can do that and then the others will do what they want.
    Chaz said:

federica said:

Well, it's so rare here

Well that's a perfect reason to be a poop and insulting about a country you know nothing about, really.
    Actually, I may well know more about the USA than you do the UK, but I can't swear to that....and no, let's not have a widdling contest over it.
    Sure - take an isolated incident in some po-dunk parish outside of BFE Louisiana, and hold the whole frikkin country resonsible for it.
    One, it's by no means isolated, and a lot of Buddhist members on here have reported or complained about being pestered by Christians, who just won't give up....
    While these incidents take place in an 'isolated area' of the USA, such behaviour is not unusual in other parts of it too...
    And America has other Laws I find utterly breathtaking.
    Gun laws, abortion laws, Gay partnerships, contraception laws.... there are plenty of things there I just can't get my head round.... And I'm glad we don't have as big a space to govern over here, as the US Government has there.
    If you don't want to come to the US, fine. Stay away. Who gives a shit? But, if you are gonna stay away, please do so for a good reason, like our version of Top Gear really sucks.
    On the contrary, I would love to visit - I have several friends who live over there, but they are so far-flung form each other, I'd probably need 3 months there to make it worthwhile for all of us to have some good time together....

And Top gear is beginning to lose its lustre here too.... so it's a close thing.

I apologise if my comments upset you, and anyone else.
    It's just that this site, being predominantly American, seems to bring much bad news, frequently - and from the USA to boot.....

So I can only go by what you guys tell us....
    Kundo
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Australian Top Gear is pretty woeful too.
    federica
    The brits are just pissed that we kicked their ass during the revolution and 1812 then saved their asses in two world wars... Murica!

... tehe
    Theswingisyellow
    Jayantha said:

The brits are just pissed that we kicked their ass during the revolution and 1812 then saved their asses in two world wars... Murica!

... tehe

That's pretty much wrong.

The French navy did the ass-kicking at Yorktown that led to Cornwallis' surrender. We actually got the fuzzy end of the lollipop in 1812 (it was a negotiated peace after the British sailed up the Potomac and burned the White House, etc. Germany and her allies were already on the ropes when we entered WW1 (we got into WW1 to get a piece of the middle east) and the Russians did a lot more ass-kicking than we did in WW2.

The Brits aren't really pissed at us. If they were, they wouldn't let us in the country.

HaHa
    edited January 2014
    Chaz said:

Jayantha said:

... tehe

That's pretty much wrong.

The French navy did the ass-kicking at Yorktown that led to Cornwallis' surrender. We actually got the fuzzy end of the lollipop in 1812 (it was a negotiated peace after the British sailed up the Potomac and burned the White House, etc. Germany and her allies were already on the ropes when we entered WW1 (we got into WW1 to get a piece of the middle east) and the Russians did a lot more ass-kicking than we did in WW2.

The Brits aren't really pissed at us. If they were, they wouldn't let us in the country.

HaHa
    they hate us for our freedom?

you do know I'm being facetious with these posts right ? The Russians may have done more ass kicking because their HOME WAS INVADED lol, and yes considering that without the French there probably would be no America, I think they have a really undeserved view by many Americans.
  • @Chaz, just curious, but what about the Pacific front?
    federica said:

I apologise if my comments upset you, and anyone else.
    It's just that this site, being predominantly American, seems to bring much bad news, frequently - and from the USA to boot.....

So I can only go by what you guys tell us....

But it's our country and not your's. Yes, it's pretty screwed up sometimes and in some places. We have big problems, but were dealing with it. This BS about Louisiana isn't even a miniscule blip on the national radar. It barely qualifies as news. We have much bigger fish to fry and our elections are still a ways off.

England isn't exactly lilly-white, Fede. When you Brits clean up your collective act then you can disaparage ours.

And not only were your comments upsetting, they were acutely insulting. If you want to say that you don't want to visit and then declare that you didn't really mean it, then stay the hell out. I, for one, would much rather entertain someone who demonstrates some integrity in thier opinion, even if I find it repugnant.
  • No, Fedrica is right, this is happening throughout the United States; and not just in public schools. Right now we have a fundamentalist Republican party pulling out all stops to return the U. S. back to the idealistic fifties, and expecting that a miracle will occur and we'll all be happy with Jim Crow, McArthism, and the supremecy of the Clan.

I retired from being a cop not because of age, but because of the numerous born again fundamentalist supervisors who took control of the department. When you are sent to an active burglary alarm, or suspicious person and know that back up won't be showing up because, I'm not a faithful member of the true faith. And continually put down, knowing that there was no one to turn to; it gets very harried.

No, the U.S. will be experiancing a very important moment in time soon; and it will be on if religious freedom will continue, or only one faith will be recognized, and the others will lose their rights.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

@Chaz, just curious, but what about the Pacific front?

It ended with the dropping of two atomic bombs on a country that was already defeated.

Theswingisyellow
    edited January 2014
    ya know what I forgot to say? the best country isn't USA or UK.. It's NZ!(go All Blacks and lord of the rings!)... I'm moving to Middle Earth, later :P * puts on wizards hat*
  • Not just UK, Europeans in general have a love hate relationship with America!
  • I've spent a good part of my life living in "Bible-belts" and the Deep South as an atheist. Never once had a problem. Southerners are by and large nice people, and where just about all my best friends are from. They're friendly, make great food, and have gorgeous homes. Always funny to see the frothing-at-the-mouth and knives from the "non-judgmental" crowd.
  • And other than a few cranks, I cannot remember meeting any racists while living in Georgia. It's a pretty diverse state, and most Americans really just don't care that much about skin color.
  • Did you drink 40s on MLK in georgia? I was in FL and the friends from south did that.
  • No, but then again, people used just about any occasion or excuse to drink.
    Jeffrey
  • I find this school deplorable, but it is rather depressing to watch a forum of people preaching tolerance and non-hatred suddenly turn into rabid xenophobes after reading one story about religious quackery in a state. The crocodile tears would be a-flowing if I published a far more brutal story about violent religious persecution of Christias in Saudi Arabia or Egypt, and then say it proves what an ugly and Stone Age backwater Arab culture is.

"Oh but you can't judge!" you would wail.
    sndymorn
  • True, a lot here has been on the negative side. But to understand, is it right to silence what one has experianced of hatred? Or do we hide it and let the ugliness fester under cosmetic illusion?
  • JohnG said:

True, a lot here has been on the negative side. But to understand, is it right to silence what one has experianced of hatred? Or do we hide it and let the ugliness fester under cosmetic illusion?

I am right there with everyone in hoping the teacher is fired and the school punished, but the story is used as an excuse for the shrill paranoia of saying we're an election away from the Klan, that the South is still a Jim Crow bastion, and trotting out whatever sins they hold an entire region and country responsible. I'm all for criticizing countries and cultures, but it's rich when it comes from the self-righteous non-judgers, most of whom have never spent time living in the south.
    Chaz

And other than a few cranks, I cannot remember meeting any racists while living in Georgia. It's a pretty diverse state, and most Americans really just don't care that much about skin color.

Into the early 1900s Denver was a "Klan town".

I live about a mile from the building that housed Colorado's KKK headquarters.

Just north of that building is Ruby Hill. The Klan would have regular cross burnings there. It has a commanding view of the city. You could see those cross burnings for quite a distance.

The Klan is gone from the city - at least for the most part - and cross burnings on Ruby Hill are no more. It's a nieghborhood of mixed race and ethicty and today Ruby Hill is a city park. Children - whites, blacks, latinos - play on the same ground where crosses were once burned.

Given time even hatred changes. Everything that arises, disolves.

CinorjerBunks