Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The "color" Black

Is black considered a meditative "color" in any culture? I ask this because I feel serene when wearing an all-black outfit. Perhaps this idea of mine comes from seeing Catholic nuns in black and white habits.

Comments

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Zen monks often wear all black, they have the coolest robes of any monastic tradition.
    As a lay person attending a zen meditation group, I was asked to wear all black.
    I like wearing black too, almost all my clothes were black a few years ago. Now I have to wear all white! Ick, much less practical.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Chiisai_Pholcidae68

The difference between feeling serene and being serene is the difference between being controlled by external circumstances(like black colored clothing) and not.

Of course I've been twisted by a very white shedding cat who thinks fur is an artists paint and anything black is the canvas to work with. She especially likes challenging the serenity of black robed zen monks.
    lobsterjae
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I have a Qi Gong outfit which is black. I have to say, the moment I put it on, I feel infinitely peaceful. It's almost like a sooth-me suit!
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Black 'is not' a colour! It is the absence of colour when a light shines on it - it is completely absorptive, but in a physical sense it is also the perfect radiator. But why are black holes regarded as the universes vacuum cleaners I hear you say? I Don't know!

White is formed by combining all the primary colours so is therefore a colour, but a white object reflects everything, but is a very poor radiator.

Its a bit like like number theory. When there is the absence of number - i.e. 0 - nothing, then the only thing that you can really first experience is the whole which equates to the number 1.

These are just thoughts by the way.

btw @Federica - you need to insert a big U in the title word color here, otherwise you are going against your Precedent, It will wind some people up, but thats what a moderator must be. Rules are rules, unless you are a flexible ruler!

• Black is suppose to be the absence of color. In the Suragama Sutra, however, the Buddha says If you ask a blind man what he sees he will say "darkness." So even without eyes, the essence of seeing is still there.
    person
  • I love black, imo. To me it is a crisp, professional, formal "color"
    Well thats 'pretty black and white'! :)

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

Zen monks often wear all black, they have the coolest robes of any monastic tradition.

Woah woah, no way do they have the coolest. I love the dark red theravadan robes the best. The zen stuff reminds me of karate as a kid :-P.

Btw i also love wearing all black.. I think its because so many of my childhood heroes from the 80s wore black like luke skywalker and Mad Martigan from Willow.

Then in my teen years i played heavy metal so i continued to love black. I still love all black to this day. It will be weird when i become an anigarika and have to wear all white.
    anataman
  • Is black considered a meditative "color" in any culture? I ask this because I feel serene when wearing an all-black outfit. Perhaps this idea of mine comes from seeing Catholic nuns in black and white habits.

I am not sure I would feel serene dressed as a Catholic nun . . .

In Tibetan culture some great ascetics went naked even in the snows, except for a black cloak to avoid scaring the yaks.

From experience I find people in a realized state of mindfulness have a dark 'aura'. I say aura because this is a term people are familiar with, it might be more correct to say they have a 'darkness' about them. It is not the same as the darkeness that the depressed or some alcoholics have.
    New meditators are quite shiney and the more absorbed are darker or more self contained . . .

My teacher wore a lot of white. I am wearing unfashionable colours at the moment for my own reasons. Black is the 'norm' at the moment around here. In SecondLife I am wearing black with dragon motifs, some wear mythical 'clothing' of animals and other fantastical cloaks.

If a colour calms you wear it but ultimately we become independent of colour, form, perfume wearing, funny hats, sari based uniforms and other costume dharmas.

. . . oh look I am wearing nothin' but a smile . . .
    :)

• matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Brahma Net Sutra (the East Asian version of the Vinaya, or list of rules for monks) says:
    Buddhist disciples should be instructed to wear robes and sleep on cloth of a neutral color, formed by blending blue, yellow, red, black and purple dyes all together.
    When that happens you get a black robe. Upasaka (hardcore lay Buddhists) and I think novices (monk-wanna-be's) wear white or have a white sash in several traditions..

It goes on to say "... their cloths should be a lackluster color to distinguish them from the general public."

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    anataman said:

btw @Federica - you need to insert a big U in the title word color here, otherwise you are going against your Precedent, It will wind some people up, but thats what a moderator must be. Rules are rules, unless you are a flexible ruler!

I would but black isn't a color.

or a colour. :D

I'm one of those bendy flexible rulers used by architects..... ! :p

anataman
  • Actually when an object is red it means it absorbs all colours EXCEPT the colour red which it reflects back and that is what our eyes see.

Black objects are highly absorbent of light which is also why black clothing is way more warm in summer and white is not.

So, when thinking of colour as light, black actually isn't a colour, the black object is absorbing everything so you don't see any reflection.

White is the reflection of red, blue and green combined. Try putting a red, blue and green spotlight in one place and it will turn white. Combine those colours with paint (which will absorb) and you get black.

So if we can agree that colour is a combination of light then we can conclude that black (the kind we see in deep space for example) is the absence of colour.

That's my scientific take on it :)
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Woah93 said:

So if we can agree that colour is a combination of light then we can conclude that black (the kind we see in deep space for example) is the absence of colour.

Yes, the absence of light and therefore colour - that's technically correct, but colloquially people often refer to the "colour" black, eg black dress, black car, etc
  • Do you feel serenity by just wearing black, or in all things that are black? I do believe that there are those who see Black as that which all things (earth, fire, wind, water, the universe itself with all we see and think) originating in the darkness of the void. And, which all things must return to the void.
    edited February 2014
    And everything comes back in some way from 'a-' or 'de-' void.

Or in plain English Nothing is restless
  • and all is symmetry
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    federica said:

I have a Qi Gong outfit which is black. I have to say, the moment I put it on, I feel infinitely peaceful. It's almost like a sooth-me suit!

Plus it's slimming!
    lobster
    edited February 2014
    My favourite colour is blue which I find relaxing. So there...:p
    Nevermind said:

federica said:

Plus it's slimming!
    Well, currently being underweight, that's not an issue....;)

• footiamfootiam Veteran
    edited February 2014

Is black considered a meditative "color" in any culture? I ask this because I feel serene when wearing an all-black outfit. Perhaps this idea of mine comes from seeing Catholic nuns in black and white habits.

To the Chinese, black is the colour for mourning. Red is the colour that is considered auspicious. I prefer blue. Boy, isn't it better if we are colour blind?
    footiam said:

Boy, isn't it better if we are colour blind?

It would be quite inconvenient, particularly if you were working as an electrician. ;)
    Vastmind
    ^^^Boom^^^.
    Vastmind
  • I usually wear black, reasons explained by mr. Cash
    VastmindBhikkhuJayasaraanataman
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Woah93 said:

I usually wear black, reasons explained by mr. Cash

well before my time(born in 78), but finding Johnny Cash was like finding an old friend lol. Great song among many.
    Woah93anataman
  • Haha yeah it's WAY before my time as well (born in 93) but Cash will always have a special place in my music collection, he has a way with simplicity and lyrics that few have accomplished :)
    my new favorite song.
    Woah93
    federica said:

Nevermind said:

federica said:

Plus it's slimming!
    Well, currently being underweight, that's not an issue....;)

I don't know if I've ever seen an underweight person, in person.
    edited February 2014
    tragic example*.

Not me, and I'm not as far underweight, but apparently for my height and frame, I could be 6lbs heavier, and still be well within my weight range.

(*I say 'tragic' because this model starved herself so much to be acceptable on the catwalk, she provoked anorexia and died weighing just 60lbs. )

Sorry, going O/T here. I guess our comments belong in the 'Diet and Habits' forum, really.
    Tragic.
    edited February 2014
    Woah93 said:

I usually wear black, reasons explained by mr. Cash

Here is his explanation later in life:

Another shade of black, or just becoming empty?:

Have you found a way?

What will you become, my friend?

Mettha
  • Black is nothing without light.