Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reconciling God with the Dharma

13»

Comments

• hermitwin said:

Show of hands , how many have received a message from God ?

Messages can be subtle. ;)
    True, though I suspect that how people have spiritual experiences is much dependent on the assumptions they have about it. So a Buddhist might talk about jhana or nature of mind, whereas a Christian might talk about the presence of God or Spirit - but perhaps the actual experience is not dissimilar?
    Yes, I agree. Again, the saying Jāki rahi bhāvanā jaisi prabhu mūrat dekhi tin taisi ("everyone sees God in his own way"). :)
    David
  • zsczsc Explorer
    edited February 2014

zsc said:

Some Buddhists do worship devas. ...

Some devas are said to take a positive interest in dharma followers. It is generally accepted that they are still subject to samsara though, so they can have fickle emotions, so it's best to take refuge in a Buddha/Boddhisattva, and not get tied down to a specific deva that demands you be enslaved to them through perfect implentation of harmful rituals. Not all are like that though.

I revere and respect the devas, because I believe they have been good to me. I've long since abandoned the notion of "worship", or that they are jealous or anything but benevolent. Rather, I think of them as more powerful big brothers and big sisters. Of course, this applies to buddhas and bodhisattvas also. I believe I have a whole platoon of divine beings looking out for me.

That's great :) I'm just really going off of different tales of devas that range from them being benevolent (which is most of them I think, especially those who exalt Buddhas) to indifferent (just content with enjoying their heavenly realm) to deluded (like the one who thought he was the Supreme God).

When I say fickle, I mean that they have similar emotional inclinations like we do, whereas Buddhas and Boddhisattvas are consistent because they have mastered indiscriminant compassion and equanimity. I honestly think that some devas take an interest in people, even non-Buddhists, just because they like the "cut of their jib", which is obviously not a bad thing. Some people, like my (Christian) grandmother, just have an uncanny ability to bring blessings to all people they encounter and/or pray for. My mom was (is? lol) a wild child and she always says that her mother's prayers must have protected her somehow when she was more, um, "spirited" haha.

Others are said to engage in a completely tit-for-tat relationship with people, some who require animal sacrifices, which of course hinder Buddhists greatly. Even when rituals don't involve animal sacrifices, it usually doesn't work out well when humans feel they are compulsory beyond expressing great gratitude and commitment.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Nirvana said:

@ourself:
    Maybe I'm just dense, but I thought when you quoted someone you were responding to some assertion they made. I see nothing in what you've written that in any way relates to anything I've said. The stuff you've written is all about some hostile stance against the Biblical God or churchianity. I am only addressing the dharma here, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Hmm... I understand sometimes it's hard to follow the twists these kinds of threads take but when I quoted you as saying this
    Nonsense! It is quite clear that Jesus of Nazareth referred to God as "Father."
    You had said it in response to what @SpinyNorman said here
    Or alternatively:
    “It is, however, in his attitude towards the idea of God that Christ is most misrepresented......" ;)
    I didn't bring up Christ, you guys did... If you weren't talking about Christianity then what were you talking about?
    Forgiveness? I'm sorry, I don't follow. I think most of us Old Farts ( we've all been dubbed "Veterans") on NewBuddhist resemble the old Methodist preacher in his circular reasoning. No. Matter what the lessons were for the day, his sermons would always devolve to the virtues of infant baptism. "Any way but the Baptist way," for that devout Methodist.
    You don't follow? How can you not follow? Yahweh was not known for forgiveness, was he?
  • zsc said:

That's great :) I'm just really going off of different tales of devas that range from them being benevolent (which is most of them I think, especially those who exalt Buddhas) to indifferent (just content with enjoying their heavenly realm) to deluded (like the one who thought he was the Supreme God).

When I say fickle, I mean that they have similar emotional inclinations like we do,

Yes indeed. And those caprices can be found in the puranas. There is a story of Lakshmi leaving Vishnu in a huff because Vishnu forgave a great insult done to him by a sage. Lakshmi felt the insult was too great to forgive so easily. So she basically threw a hissy fit and stormed out for a week or three.

Indra got pissed at the people of Govardhana because Krishna told the people to stop offering sacrifices to Indra. So Indra sent a downpour that threatened to wash away the whole countryside. Krishna picked up Govardhana hill and held it like and umbrella over the countryside and people.

There are many other stories in the puranas of the devas getting pissy and throwing fits.
    whereas Buddhas and Boddhisattvas are consistent because they have mastered indiscriminant compassion and equanimity. I honestly think that some devas take an interest in people, even non-Buddhists, just because they like the "cut of their jib", which is obviously not a bad thing. Some people, like my (Christian) grandmother, just have an uncanny ability to bring blessings to all people they encounter and/or pray for. My mom was (is? lol) a wild child and she always says that her mother's prayers must have protected her somehow when she was more, um, "spirited" haha.
    I think some people can tap into and channel energies, either benevolent and auspicious, or malevolent, like lightning rods. Your grandmother may be one of those persons who attracts auspicious and benevolent energies, i.e blessings.
    ... it usually doesn't work out well when humans feel they are compulsory beyond expressing great gratitude and commitment.
    Which is how I felt previously, in my "Hindu days". It's pretty much why I left most of it behind, especially the rituals, pujas, do's, don'ts, fasts, must-do's, must not do's. There is too much superstition. It's ironic that I fled Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy because of the dogma and ritual and ran into the same thing with Hinduism. I'm trying not to bring the same baggage with me to Buddhism.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited February 2014

ourself said:

Not really. It seems to clear to me that Jesus did not believe in the same idea of God that Abraham did.

I think the stark contrast between the Old and New Testaments is quite revealing - it's like they're describing two completely separate religions.
    Actually, once Paul and company got in on the action, there seems to be three. There's the God of Abraham who doesn't forgive and won't ever change, the God Jesus talked about where forgiveness was available to those who forgive and the God after Jesus where one must take Jesus as a personal savior in order to be forgiven.

@Nirvana, I understand we are talking about a God that can exist in light of the dharma but the similarities between some of what Jesus reportedly said and the dharma as reported by Buddha can't really be dismissed if we are to be fair. Jesus didn't get a fair shake like Buddha did. Buddha had 50 years or so to get his message out there.

I do agree that the Upanishads is easier to reconcile but @SpinyNorman brings up a very valid point when saying Jesus was also possibly misrepresented. Especially when the God I think Jesus spoke of could be reconciled with the dharma.

@zsc, Thanks, you're right, of course.

• Per your request @Nirvana though I'm not sure this what you were asking.

Yes, the kingdom of Heaven (God) can be tasted/experienced here and now.

The Christian is called to acquire the mind of the Church which is revealed through the lives of her saints and the writings they have passed on.

St Gregory of Nyssa (335-395) says this about the Kingdom of God (Heaven) in his commentaries on the Lord's Prayer and the Beatitudes:
    The Divine Nature, Whatever It may be in Itself, surpasses mental concept. For it is altogether inaccessible to reason and conjecture, nor has there been found any human faculty capable of perceiving the incomprehensible; for we cannot devise a means of understanding inconceivable things. Therefore the great Apostle calls His ways unsearchable, meaning by this that the way that leads to the knowledge of the Divine Essence is inaccessible to thought. That is to say, none of those who have passed through life before us has made known to the intelligence so much as a trace by which might be known what is above knowledge.

Since such is He whose nature is above every nature, the Invisible and Incomprehensible is seen and apprehended in another manner. Many are the modes of such perception. For it is possible to see Him who has made all things in wisdom by way of inference through the wisdom that appears in the Universe...

Thus also, when we look at the order of creation, we form in our mind and image not of its essence, but of the wisdom of Him who made all things wisely. And if we consider the cause of our life, that He came to create man not of necessity, but from the free decision of His Goodness, we say that we have contemplated God by this way, that we have apprehended His Goodness-though again not His Essence, but His Goodness. It is the same with all other things that raise the mind to transcendent Goodness; all these we can term apprehensions of God, since each of these sublime meditations places God within our sight. For power, purity, constancy, freedom from contrariety-all these engrave on the soul the impress of a Divine and transcendent Mind. Hence, it is clear through what has just been said that the Lord speaks truth when He promises that God will be seen by those who have a pure heart; nor does Paul deceive when he asserts in his letters that no one has seen God nor can see Him. For He is invisible by nature, but becomes visible in His energies, for He may be contemplated in the things that are referred to Him...
    To be continued...
  • The Lord does not say it is blessed to know something about God, but to have God present in oneself. Blessed are the clean in heart, for they shall see God. I don't think that if the eye of one's soul has been purified, he is promised direct vision of God; put perhaps this marvelous saying may suggest what the Word expresses more clearly when He says to others, The Kingdom of God is within you. By this we should learn that if a Man's heart has been purified from every creature and all unruly affections, he will see the Image of the Divine Nature in his own beauty. I think that in this short saying the Word expresses some such counsel as this: There is in you, human beings, a desire to contemplate the true good. But when you hear that the Divine Majesty is exalted above the heavens, that Its glory is inexpressible, Its beauty ineffable, and Its Nature inaccessible, do not despair of ever beholding what you desire. It is indeed within in your reach; you have within yourselves the standard by which to apprehend the Divine. For he who made you did at the same time endow your nature with this wonderful quality. For God imprinted on it the likeness of the glories of His own Nature, as if moulding the form of a carving in wax. But the evil that has been poured all around the nature bearing the Diving Image has rendered useless to you this wonderful thing, that lies hidden under vile coverings. If therefore, you wash off by a good life the filth that has been stuck on your heart like plaster, the Divine Beauty will again shine forth in you...

Hence, if a man who is pure of heart sees himself, he sees in himself what he desires; and thus he becomes blessed, because when he looks at his own purity, he see the archetype in the image.

To give an example. Though men who see the sun in a mirror do not gaze at the sky itself, yet they see the sun in the reflection on of the mirror no less than those who look at its very orb. So, He says, it is also with you. Even though you are too weak to perceive the Light Itself, yet if you return to the grace of the Image with which you were informed in the beginning, you will have all you seek in yourselves. For the Godhead is purity, freedom from passion, and separation from all evil. If therefore these things be in you, God is indeed in you.
    Eternity is the simultaneous presence of all time and has nothing to do with permanence and impermanence for it is beyond such conceptions.
    Nirvana
  • zsczsc Explorer
    edited February 2014

Which is how I felt previously, in my "Hindu days". It's pretty much why I left most of it behind, especially the rituals, pujas, do's, don'ts, fasts, must-do's, must not do's. There is too much superstition. It's ironic that I fled Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy because of the dogma and ritual and ran into the same thing with Hinduism. I'm trying not to bring the same baggage with me to Buddhism.

I was EO, but I had to pull away from all religion, including Buddhism, for a while because all the compulsory obligations of Eastern Orthodoxy were having a negative impact on me. I was very stressed, and it didn't make me a kinder person. I just looked down on people who weren't apart of the true church (my past online discussions in other forums reveal as much lol), if I thought about other people at all while navel-gazing in my own head. It isn't like this for everyone--while apart of that church I met very kind, inspiring people--but EO practice just didn't resonate with me like Buddhism does.

Jainarayan
  • zsc said:

I was EO, but I had to pull away from all religion, including Buddhism, for a while because all the compulsory obligations of Eastern Orthodoxy were having a negative impact on me. I was very stressed, and it didn't make me a kinder person. I just looked down on people who weren't apart of the true church (my past online discussions in other forums reveal as much lol), if I thought about other people at all while navel-gazing in my own head. It isn't like this for everyone--while apart of that church I met very kind, inspiring people--but EO practice just didn't resonate with me like Buddhism does.

Yes... well there we have it. That pretty much says it all for me. It's funny because as I'm putting rituals and obligations aside (though I still like my little shrine and the pretty pictures and statues around the house :D ) I'm more mindful because of what I've discovered is Buddhism-cum-Humanism-cum-Jesuism.
    zsc
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2014
    ourself said:

I didn't bring up Christ, you guys did... If you weren't talking about Christianity then what were you talking about?

I was talking about the upanishadic background of the Buddha and his disciples. I don't have any idea how I could have been more clear about this. I know I left the thread alone for a few days, not even reading, but still I'd expect people to read the OP with at least some attention to the words being used and how they flow together. The opening lines really must be read with at least some care.

@SpinyNorman circumphrased Younghusband's statement that Buddha is misrepresented by some as an atheist simply because he refrained from making any sharp definition of God, "and especially because he did not define Him as a Person —as a Father, for example." To which @SpinyNorman quips back"

Or alternatively:
    “It is, however, in his attitude towards the idea of God that Christ is most misrepresented......" ;)

To which, out of the need to respond to the incongruity of his argument I had no second thought of responding:
    Nonsense! It is quite clear that Jesus of Nazareth referred to God as "Father."
    It is also abundantly clear that Shakyamuni never taught this Great-Parent-in-the-Sky idea. To say that Christ's idea of God is misrepresented is patently false, for Christ did see God as Father. The church may blow up farces of God in its different seasons of time, but it's really, really, hard to misrepresent the singular Man that was Christ. The canonical scriptures never have him contradicting himself. Sure, there are passages where you can tell that the evangelists had it both ways, as in: "Those who are not against us are with us." And, again, "Those who are not with us are against us." But suchlike are mostly just slogans for political use that have not in the groundswell of history ever amounted to much except in the unfortunate pograms against the Jews, Hitler, and so forth. Devastating developments these, but any Christian true to the whole spirit of Christ can see through such platitudinism.
    You have to blame such things on the talented hoodwinkers that know which buttons to push to make the masses do things that the hoodwinkers want them to do. Not only that, but the hoodwinkers are so smart they find ways to make the masses think they thought all this up themselves.

ourself said:

You don't follow? How can you not follow? Yahweh was not known for forgiveness, was he?

Well, I never brought up God or tried to define him, let alone confine him to a certain Hebrew deity. This line of argument that you're bringing into this thread is all stones and mortar.

Later on in a different post:
    ourself said:

@Nirvana, I understand we are talking about a God that can exist in light of the dharma but the similarities between some of what Jesus reportedly said and the dharma as reported by Buddha can't really be dismissed if we are to be fair. Jesus didn't get a fair shake like Buddha did. Buddha had 50 years or so to get his message out there.

My mind refuses to race like that. One topic at a time, or it's just too much. When you're buying a car you can discuss car wax for a few minutes with the salesperson, but don't waste his or her time on shoe wax or floor wax. Apples are one thing and oranges quite another.

But you're wrong if you do really understand that you and I are both "talking about a God that can exist in light of the dharma," as you phrased it. This sort of mathematical-style statement certainly does not ring true to me. For one thing, those who postulate for "God" (as you seem to do) the traditional omnipotent "God" posit all power in him, and the modal word "can" would therefore have to be stricken right away. All this exhausting stipulation!

No, I was simply talking about the common ground: a wondrous mystic ground capable of bestowing all peace and promise, but The Common Ground. Period.
  • @Nirvana:

In the Silence, all is Common Ground that we share, dear heart.
    Silouan
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Silouan said:

Yes, the kingdom of Heaven (God) can be tasted/experienced here and now.

But, leaving aside the different language and assumptions, is that really so different from nature of mind, or the Deathless, or the View, etc?
    Silouan
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    IMO god is quite simply nothing more than the anthropomorphic interpretation of our ineffable true nature.

The only thing to reconcile is how others interpret our misrepresentation.

Mettha

DairyLamaJainarayan
  • @SpinyNorman I think what you suggest is about realization rather than reconciliation, and I have no disagreement with it.

I think with reconciliation one would still primarily hold to a particular view, belief, or path and attempt to somehow make accommodations, explanations, or room for another.

With realization there would ultimately be no view, belief, or path to hold on to where all conceptual notions fall away like mountains into a vast sea, but only the naked experience of interior silence and stillness, of eternity or the deathless, the simultaneous presence of all time, perfect repose or rest, neither coming nor going, the flame that doesn't burn etc.

Perhaps then that assertions about the superiority of a certain view, belief, or path over another is evidence of clinging, not only to the aforementioned, but also to the ideas held about another used as confirmation bias.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2014
    Coincidentally, Pannobhasa Bhikkhu (David Reynolds) posted a blog on Saturday that touches on this topic and gives what I think to be an interesting and practical perspective on reconciling (or maybe more appropriately utilizing) the concept of God in the context of Dhamma, echoings some of what's already been said here. It's worth a read, in my opinion.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Silouan said:

Perhaps then that assertions about the superiority of a certain view, belief, or path over another is evidence of clinging, not only to the aforementioned, but also to the ideas held about another used as confirmation bias.

Yes, it could be. Perhaps it's just that different approaches work better for different people? Personally I don't find the idea of God convincing, so I wouldn't practice in a tradition which rests on the assumption of God. But clearly there are many that do.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    There are as many concepts of God as there are paths to discovering enlightenment. I think the OP concept is dualistic and therefore cannot be part of dharma. But if you think that God is beyond concepts, then believing or not believing in God is impossible. So perhaps it is wiser to say nothing regarding God.
    edited February 2014
    @Nirvana;
    I was talking about the upanishadic background of the Buddha and his disciples. I don't have any idea how I could have been more clear about this. I know I left the thread alone for a few days, not even reading, but still I'd expect people to read the OP with at least some attention to the words being used and how they flow together. The opening lines really must be read with at least some care.
    Yeah, I already addressed the o/p but am allowed to inject my opinions on other posts within the thread as long as they are not too far off topic.
    It is also abundantly clear that Shakyamuni never taught this Great-Parent-in-the-Sky idea. To say that Christ's idea of God is misrepresented is patently false, for Christ did see God as Father.
    That already shows he didn't believe in the same idea of God that Abraham presented. That means his idea of what God is was misrepresented by those that would cling to the Abrahamic notion of God. Not to mention later on after his murder his ideas were again twisted to suit a war-like political machine. Jesus said that those who forgive would be forgiven. That was the good news, not that he was going to pay for our sins like some kind of karma toilet.
    You have to blame such things on the talented hoodwinkers that know which buttons to push to make the masses do things that the hoodwinkers want them to do. Not only that, but the hoodwinkers are so smart they find ways to make the masses think they thought all this up themselves.
    Lol... Who do you think came up with the Bible?

Well, I never brought up God or tried to define him, let alone confine him to a certain Hebrew deity. This line of argument that you're bringing into this thread is all stones and mortar.
    Isn't the word God right in your title? You either have a short memory or are being dishonest.

Him? If you aren't trying to define something you should stay away from descriptors like "him".

If you want to keep the discussion limited to one certain idea of God then the Upanishads is a bad place to start as the word God with a capital G is Biblical.

Nobody has a patent on what it means to have God and at the same time, you simply can't stipulate whos idea of God is allowed to be discussed.

But you're wrong if you do really understand that you and I are both "talking about a God that can exist in light of the dharma," as you phrased it. This sort of mathematical-style statement certainly does not ring true to me. For one thing, those who postulate for "God" (as you seem to do) the traditional omnipotent "God" posit all power in him, and the modal word "can" would therefore have to be stricken right away. All this exhausting stipulation!
    That amounts to nothing more than sour grapes and wild speculation.

Plus it is simply incorrect.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    ineffable: too great or extreme to be expressed or described in words.

Some people say God when they mean ineffable; I like ineffable, you don't have to layer it with personal meaning and views. However, would the thread have been as amusing and at times tense if it was 'reconciling the ineffable with the dharma'.

I would have reconciled it immediately with the 'dharma leads to the ineffable'
    DavidNirvana
  • I am simply not interested in God....
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    hermitwin said:

I am simply not interested in God....

Okay. To each his own.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    ourself said:

@Nirvana;
    That amounts to nothing more than sour grapes and wild speculation.

Plus it is simply incorrect.

Well, I find you to be the unpleasant, argumentative one and am no longer willing to respond to you on this thread. I am not trying to constrict your freedom, but am no longer willing to ascertain where you're coming from, either, in all these unhappy arguments.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2014
    Why is it so difficult to have civil conversations about these kinds of things? I wouldn't have to sink, close, or dump so many threads if people could just discuss things in a non-dickish manner. Practice some metta amd upekkha for god's sake.
    anataman
This discussion has been closed.