Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Soul" in Buddhism

I know it is generally accepted by Buddhists that there is not an eternal soul inside the body. But if this is true, how is it that we can be reborn? Is it even "us" being reborn, or is it just a portion of our life energy?

I read that when the Buddha became enlightened, he could see all the forms of life he had been in the past (humans, elephants, horses, etc.) accumulating wisdom through the eons. If that was so, wouldn't there have been an eternal Buddha always there, taking up the bodies of those living beings, and that energy staying as one so that he could remember it all when he became enlightened? That sounds kind of like a soul to me. I know there's probably a good explanation for this..... go easy on me, I'm new!

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2014
    In mahayana there is the trikaya. Shakyamuni was a man of the sakya clan. Buddha was a manifestation of nirmanakaya.

Try wikipedia.

And as far as what transports across space and time?? I am not sure. Perhaps we are all bodhicitta, but distinct from one another and not just a smear of bodhicitta like butter.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Just my understanding here.
    A soul is more so all that we are. All that makes us, us. In Buddhism, all of that us-ness doesn't really exist. But a stream of consciousness does exist, and that is what is "reborn."
    It seems as if the soul still contains our ego while the stream of consciousness or mind or mindenergy however you want to see it, does not.
    My views on how rebirth and all that work are changing constantly, and what I think doesn't always mesh with what I learn from my teacher, so it's something that evolves quite a lot. It's not something I worry about terribly because just managing each day is enough for me, LOL.
  • Funny how often this question comes up.

What is reborn is "consciousness", or the "very subtle mind", which carries the karmic imprint of past lives into the next one. Whether or not that constitutes a "soul" is a matter of debate. But this is the way Buddhism gets around the seeming contradiction that you point out, OP.
  • I have to be honest and admit that I currently cannot accept the concept of rebirth. It really does seem to me that those who came after the Buddha just could not leave well enough alone: not being content with teachings that can lead to the end of clinging, aversion, and wrong view, they had to bury the teachings under mountains of their own or others' conceptions, thinking that they somehow knew better than the Buddha. But then, the Buddha himself predicted that the Dhamma would disappear, and we see it happening in many different ways, right before our eyes.
    vinlynCinorjer
  • Jeffrey said:

In mahayana there is the trikaya. Shakyamuni was a man of the sakya clan. Buddha was a manifestation of nirmanakaya.

Try wikipedia.

And as far as what transports across space and time?? I am not sure. Perhaps we are all bodhicitta, but distinct from one another and not just a smear of bodhicitta like butter.

What if there is no space and time, only here and now?
    And what if birth and death are like an illusion? Only significant due to clinging to the present situation, and fear of the unknown.
    So, are we the nirmanakaya?
    Is our "true nature" deathless?
    If so, rebirth is meaningless. Just something to talk about.
    Jeffrey
  • snowmelt said:

I have to be honest and admit that I currently cannot accept the concept of rebirth. It really does seem to me that those who came after the Buddha just could not leave well enough alone: not being content with teachings that can lead to the end of clinging, aversion, and wrong view, they had to bury the teachings under mountains of their own or others' conceptions, thinking that they somehow knew better than the Buddha. But then, the Buddha himself predicted that the Dhamma would disappear, and we see it happening in many different ways, right before our eyes.

It's precarious to label teachings you 'like' as from Buddha and teachings you don't like as later additions. What if the teachings you 'like' are later additions and the ones you dislike are from Buddha?
  • Rebirth is a view of phenomena. It appears that way as the sun rises in the east. And that breeds questions such as 'why does the sun rise?' 'What's lifting it?'
  • I have to be honest and admit that I currently cannot accept the concept of rebirth.
    Me too. It is ignorance.

Seems like ignorant conjecture to make up for the fact that the enlightened don't know everything, otherwise Wikipedia would be redundant and all helpful science questions solved.

Don't waste time on your, Buddhas or others ignorance.
    If you become involved in a form of 'lifetimes evolution' Dharma then you might have to ignore centuries of ignorant fantasies, arguing over 'how many angels can dance on the head of a pin' and other experiences you have not had. Is it important to you? To me it is irrelevant and has been ever since I was a grasshopper.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteen_unanswerable_questions

:wave:
  • Hello, Jeffrey.

I did not use the word "like".

Without reference to rebirth, I see my own clinging, aversion and wrong view diminishing. That is why I think the concept of rebirth is not required for my own practice.

Because rebirth is a matter of endless debate and is ultimately not to be resolved by debate, I currently regard it as an imponderable and do not spend much time contemplating it. I have little choice in the matter, since I am unable to accept the concept as it is communicated, just as I have been unable to accept certain concepts communicated by other religions. Humans are endlessly capable of inventing fantasy and insisting that it is reality, and I wish not to spend any more time than I already have trying to fathom the truth or falsity of unsupported concepts.
    lobsterCinorjer
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    snowmelt said:

I have to be honest and admit that I currently cannot accept the concept of rebirth.

No problem, a lot of western Buddhists struggle with it. Just put it "on the back burner" and don't worry about it. On the other hand, speculating about the suttas being corrupted is a bit pointless, particularly if you haven't read them in detail.
    Cinorjerperson
  • Hello, SpinyNorman.

I do not think you can infer from my posts whether I have an in-depth knowledge of the suttas or not. What I do does not involve speculation. It does involve the clear realisation that humans have a long history of religious invention and by their own stance must admit that they consider the human race error-prone when it comes to determining religious truth. That is why I prefer to leave aside matters that are questionable. So I agree with your idea of putting it on the back burner, which is definitely what I have done.
    Cinorjerlobstervinlyn
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2014
    snowmelt said:

What I do does not involve speculation.

Of course it does, but that's fine, we all do it. Views, opinions, beliefs, disbeliefs, it's mostly speculation because there is very little we really know.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I know it is generally accepted by Buddhists that there is not an eternal soul inside the body. But if this is true, how is it that we can be reborn? Is it even "us" being reborn, or is it just a portion of our life energy?

This question comes up in many forms so don't feel bad, lol. The way I see it (and obviously I may be wrong) is that we are all unique aspects of the same exact thing.

There is not true separation between self and other and so in that sense self and other cease to be. Not that they don't exist but the labels that we use to distinguish one process to the next just do not and can not apply in such a state of mind.

I am me and you are you but at the same time, we are both just different manifestations of the exact same thing and not only that but we are both changing all the time. When we see from that perspective, I doesn't work and neither does you.

What is reborn is but another distinct variance of the same thing that was your mother.

Sometimes I think reincarnation is just guided rebirth.

If we aim, maybe we're afforded some instinctual awareness or residual taste of past lives.

Not that it matters or anything. Living in a memory isn't quite the same as being here now and knowing it.

Sometimes my monkey mind likes to chatter, sorry about that.

Cinorjer
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran

The Indian philosophers saw there was a problem with combining reincarnation and no-self. So they invented ālaya-vijñāna - it's sort of a permanent box that holds your karma and transfers your actions from life to life. It has all the qualities that no-self was trying to deny-- it's permanent and soul like. The poorly named "Critical Buddhism" movement takes aim at this particular concept. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Consciousnesses#.C4.80layavij.C3.B1.C4.81na I don't believe it (or the proponents of this idea would say, I don't get it)-- but if this were true, it sounds like some poor sot distinct from me is going to be punished for my crimes today. The whole system implies an assumption that I (and others) care about that poor sorry sot. When the drunk doesn't care about his own body when it's hung over tomorrow (and he can remember it all!), why should anyone care about some post mortem sot that is paying for our crimes (except maybe out of some universal compassion).

For people who don't use the "ālaya-vijñāna" concept, they sometimes rely on "original face", "tathagatagarbha", "ground consciousness" which are individual souls, but renamed. One deals with contradiction with no-self by ignoring it or vociferously proclaiming that they are somehow compatible. If that doesn't resolve the contradiction, be more vociferous.

For people who take monism to the extreme (the idea that everything is somehow one substance) then you end up with one shared soul (brahma). A lot of Buddhists have pretty much merged advaita vedanta and Buddhism, (sometimes accidentally, sometimes explicitly). So you get a soul again, but it is a shared communal one.

For what its worth, I believe in a naturalized collective consciousness. My causes and effects live on after me via the *mundane* effects I have on other people. I believe the realms (6 heavens and hells) are metaphors-- as you act unskillfully, you put yourself in this life in hell, as act skillfully you put yourself in the higher realms of humans and gods. I believe that no-self actually makes sense and precludes the possibility of a soul, literal re-incarnation and (except the effect I have on other people who survive me) implies permanent extinction upon death. The point of Buddhism is to develop the skill to face this with peace and equanimity, not to create yet another delusion to make me feel better about it.
    CinorjerJeffrey
  • Wow, I've obviously unearthed a very deep topic!

For me, I've got no trouble believing in rebirth, because it makes sense scientifically in my mind (at least more sense than a heaven/hell). Life is a unique kind of energy, and the Law of Conservation states that energy is neither created or destroyed, just ever-changing in form. So when we die, our life energy may be transferred to another potential life form who needs it. Either way, I think it's too deep of a subject for an unenlightened human to try to answer.

• @ SpinyNorman

Of course it does not, because I am withholding judgement on a matter about which I cannot have knowledge.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I would advise you (both) to stop sparring and just agree to disagree.

OK?
    Some sort of rebirth is the only thing that makes sense to me, but as @snowmelt mentioned, I don't spend much time worrying about it. As I read in a book once, whatever happens when we die, happens. Belief is not required for it to happen and to think otherwise just made no sense for me. That doesn't mean there may not be consequences after we die for the life we live. But the process is the same for all humans, I think. Either way, I don't spend much time worrying about any of those imponderables, because I think there are reasons that basically no human (except the enlightened) knows what actually happens when we die, how the universe exactly came to be, and so on.
    Cinorjer
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    federica said:

.... a form of highly subtle, ethereal energy....

AKA a soul.
  • Soul suggests an eternal self. Rebirth is without the self. The rest is just semantics.
    I think for a lot of people, we shy away from calling "it" whatever it is, a soul because so many of us grew up with a Christian understanding of it. For me to communicate effectively about this topic with my friends and family, most of whom are Christian, I have to be able to differentiate what I believe in and what they believe in, because despite similarities, there are vast differences. While I might be comfortable thinking of that energy or consciousness as a soul, most people around me think of it differently and it causes problems in communication and understanding to assume them to be the same.

For them, a soul is all that we are on the inside, and they hold onto that because all that we are that makes us identifiable and separate on earth, is what they want to find when they die. When they want their loved ones to greet them in heaven, they need to know that all those dear things about those people are withheld in some sort of container, the soul, in order for them to identify their loved ones. If all that we consider to be "self" is not real, the soul/whatever cannot contain it and because that is what I believe, clearly it conflicts with what they believe and thus using the same term just doesn't work.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Nevermind said:

federica said:

AKA a soul.
    Not so.
    Most people who think 'soul' think of an almost imperceptible image/replica of themselves, a transparent duplicate in ephemeral form.

Transmigrating consciousness doesn't evoke the same idea, quite simply.
    And if you get that, you're mistaken.

Jeffrey
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    karasti said:

For them, a soul is all that we are on the inside, and they hold onto that because all that we are that makes us identifiable and separate on earth, is what they want to find when they die. When they want their loved ones to greet them in heaven, they need to know that all those dear things about those people are withheld in some sort of container, the soul, in order for them to identify their loved ones. If all that we consider to be "self" is not real, the soul/whatever cannot contain it and because that is what I believe, clearly it conflicts with what they believe and thus using the same term just doesn't work.

Good summary of the Christian viewpoint of "soul".

• vinlyn said: Good summary of the Christian viewpoint of "soul".
    @vinlyn What karasti said: represents how many Christians view the soul, but it is certainly not the Christian viewpoint. ;-)
  • absoluteabsolute Explorer
    edited February 2014
    from my understandings, may be wrong if so correct it, very subtle mind or consciousness is like linear movement it changes very moment by moment, but there is no such thing as a eternal soul or transmigrating consciousness ( forever changeable soul) it is just collection of consciousness and those consciousness die and another ones take place, which we called karma or something, this process like theory of evolution, for example: we think birds were evolved from theropod dinosaurs, the birds' ancestor were evolved one generation by another generation for thousands millions of years from the theropod dinosaurs, but we don't say one individual theropod dinosaurs were evolved or changed (transformed) into one individual birds or change their features for thousand millions of years. we say they were evolved generation by generation, one dies who's descendant takes place..., it is all just like that. but i daresay may be i understand it wrongly if so please correct me.
    Jeffreyperson
    Silouan said:

vinlyn said: Good summary of the Christian viewpoint of "soul".
    @vinlyn What karasti said: represents how many Christians view the soul, but it is certainly not the Christian viewpoint. ;-)

As always, there is not one Christian viewpoint, or Buddhist viewpoint. But don't you think her description is a general consensus of the Christian view?

Very general and not in any way meant to somehow represent what all Christians think. It is my experience of how the Christians around me and those I interact with tend to explain it. And maybe to add to it that most of the people I know believe the soul is directly put into the body by God and that the soul (and thus God) is what gives us our morality, and thus why they often say that people with questionable morality have no soul. (Which is an interesting conundrum considering if God places a soul into each person prior to birth, how could anyone be considered soulless?)

@Silouan In what ways does your understanding of it differ? I'd be interested to know what you think of it. I live in a pretty small and rural area (population less than 4000) so I am always interested in what others think about such topics since most people here tend to all hold the same views.
    Silouan said:

vinlyn said: Good summary of the Christian viewpoint of "soul".
    No, I think it's actually quite spot-on... as an ex R Catholic 'devout' Christian, I personally think he pretty much nails it...
  • snowmelt said:

Hello, Jeffrey.

I did not use the word "like".

Without reference to rebirth, I see my own clinging, aversion and wrong view diminishing. That is why I think the concept of rebirth is not required for my own practice.

Because rebirth is a matter of endless debate and is ultimately not to be resolved by debate, I currently regard it as an imponderable and do not spend much time contemplating it. I have little choice in the matter, since I am unable to accept the concept as it is communicated, just as I have been unable to accept certain concepts communicated by other religions. Humans are endlessly capable of inventing fantasy and insisting that it is reality, and I wish not to spend any more time than I already have trying to fathom the truth or falsity of unsupported concepts.

Yes but you said it is a later addition because you couldn't accept it. And you speculate that it is an addition to Buddha's teaching. So why do you speculate it is an added teaching? What does your acceptance have to do with it? That's a good argument that I should explain how it is part of the three marks. Off the top of my head I would say it is a mark of suffering when clinging to phenomena or self. We will lose ourself when we die. We might be reborn a demon or an animal. That is suffering. The cycle of rebirth has to with the 12 nidanas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Nidānas
    Our life is impermanent and we might be reborn based on desire.
  • rebirth also deals with non-self because the personality and relationships of the one being reborn are all gone. Non-self.
    *she ;)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2014
    You would have to say that without rebirth we are trying to have as little suffering as possible in this life. That does make sense. I had always thought of it as always going to the other shore through lifetime after lifetime. I know non-rebirth believers are also moral but from my experience I KNOW (not as a fact with proof) that I will have to pay the karma for everything I do.
    federica said:

Nevermind said:

federica said:

AKA a soul.
    Not so.
    Most people who think 'soul' think of an almost imperceptible image/replica of themselves, a transparent duplicate in ephemeral form.

Transmigrating consciousness doesn't evoke the same idea, quite simply.
    And if you get that, you're mistaken.

You can't define a soul, so you don't know.
    neither can you so what's your point?
  • @vinlyn said: As always, there is not one Christian viewpoint, or Buddhist viewpoint.
    Exactly, and I was not asserting a single Christian view either but rather that what was said certainly isn't.
    vinlyn said: But don't you think her description is a general consensus of the Christian view?
    No, because it will exclude at least half the Christian world.
    @federica said: No, I think it's actually quite spot-on... as an ex R Catholic 'devout' Christian, I personally think he pretty much nails it...
    I don't, because in the Orthodox Catholic Church the consensus is considered the communal mind of the Church which is particularly revealed and expressed in the lives, commentaries, and writings of the holy fathers and mothers (the saints), and since the Roman Catholic Church shares the same early patristic sources I would be hard pressed to think that it is actually the spot-on consensus of what it teaches no matter how one's own private interpretation seems to be in accordance with the private interpretation of others.

Also, a claim of being devout does not affirm a Christian consensus. Not even the saints make such a claim about themselves, but they certainly best represent the consensus.
    You're getting a bit 'holier-than-thou' there @Silouan... care to come down off that high horse you're on and just agree to differ?
    federica said:

neither can you so what's your point?

That I got soul, babe!

:whatever:
  • DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    federica said:

Thread too long; didn't read.
    Maybe I should have, as a Mod.... meh... if there's anything inadvisable or unskilful, I'm sure someone will alert us.....

Anyway, as to the question (1st post) of how we can be reborn if there is no 'soul', I heard it articulated as 'a transmigration of Consciousness'.... a form of highly subtle, ethereal energy.....

A good explanation is that of the two candles:
    Take one candle.
    Light it.

bring in a second candle.
    Taking a taper, light the taper from the first candle.
    Blow the first candle out.
    Light the second candle form the taper.

This flame, on the second candle:
    is it the same as the first - or different?

Point to ponder.
    But that, to me is a fine, simple account of how we get from 'A' to 'B', to 'C', to 'D'.....

While I was pondering this occurred to me. The light from the candles is a constantly changing flow like the proverbial river. you can never see the same light twice just as when stood on the bank of a river you can't touch the same water twice as it has passed onwards. So now you have to ask is it the light you see which is the soul/subtle mind? Or is the light the current incarnation and the source of the light which is the soul/subtle mind?
    Or maybe they're just candles....
    Oh good grief...... :rolleyes:

:D
    DharmaMcBumfederica
  • DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    edited February 2014
    @federica I could almost hear the whistling through the air as you flung your hands up there....
    federica
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I heard some suggest it is our habits that are reborn......I kinda like that explanation.

Vastmind
    federica said:

You're getting a bit 'holier-than-thou' there @Silouan... care to come down off that high horse you're on and just agree to differ?

I agree. He's yet to explain -- in basic terms, not a thesis -- how the "other half" views soul. Right now he just seems to be arguing for the sake of arguing. I see no clarification of how it's wrong.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

I read that when the Buddha became enlightened, he could see all the forms of life he had been in the past (humans, elephants, horses, etc.) accumulating wisdom through the eons. If that was so, wouldn't there have been an eternal Buddha always there, taking up the bodies of those living beings, and that energy staying as one so that he could remember it all when he became enlightened? That sounds kind of like a soul to me. I know there's probably a good explanation for this..... go easy on me, I'm new!

I think the answer will depend on how one defines the term 'soul,' as well as the understanding one has of rebirth and the way it operates (assuming, of course, one accepts the premise). You can find some of my thoughts about it from a predominately Theravadin perspective, for example, here, here, and here if you're interested.
    Bunks
    I was not raised Catholic and so that is not where my view comes from, however, my mother converted to Catholicism and my husband's entire family is Catholic and what I said it not far off the mark from what they believe, per our discussions. Again, I hardly proclaim to know what a majority of Christians around the whole world think of a definition of a word, just in what my experience has been. I was ready to abandon Christianity by the time I was about 10, and did so for good around 15 (when I finally had the ability to choose)) so I'm hardly on expert of anything Christian, LOL. Like I said, just my own experience in a very small corner of American. I'd still be interested in knowing what you think it is, @Silouan.
  • Think of a cloud. In that cloud is water. Now the cloud hits a cold front and the water turns into snow. The snow has a distinct shape as it is a snowflake. Then spring comes and the snow melts. It goes into the land and is evaporated many times into clouds and then rained down as water.

Eventually winter comes again and it is a snowflake again. But the snowflake has a new distinct shape on the second year of snow. The shape of the previous snowflake is gone. And a new shape is the rebirth.
  • And a new shape is the rebirth.
    Indeed.

Or think of it like this:
    Behind my Buddha in the garden, a fox laid down and died. Gradually the carcass decayed, was gnawed at, feeding other foxes, birds, rodents, insects, microbes and worms. The fox has fed and given life to other creatures.
    If you are what you eat, then some worms are reincarnated foxes.

It is not as romantic as the snowflake and I would not call it rebirth but form changes. You are empty, form arises and emptiness returns in another form.

You think your essence is special, soul like and eternal? Pah! Fox bones and fur scraps to you . . .
    Too much to chew on? Hug my little dharma pony and your empty soul then, until time for a rebranded rebirth . . .

:wave:
    CinorjerVastmindanataman