Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is Enlightenment?

banned_crabbanned_crab Veteran
edited February 2014 in Buddhism Basics
What is the significant difference between somebody who is enlightened and who is not?

Is it simply somehow who lives constantly in the present moment?

Do I really have to throw away my darkness? or am I fusing it with the light?

Comments

• matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    They are in some way out of the circular rat race.

They've had a metaphysical realization, either about who they really are or about what they really want & don't want-- that's solving delusion, greed and hate (aversion).

What are the consequences? That's fuzzier. I suppose it is safe to say that the problem you were hoping to solve by seeking enlightenment should be solved or reframed so it isn't a problem any more. But to say what the consequences of enlightenment are also implies one has been there.

person
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited February 2014

What is the significant difference between somebody who is enlightened and who is not?

Mastery of the 4NT as a path of practice, abandonment of sensuality, becoming, ignorance, a sense of completeness. (Not claiming personal knowledge here, just saying what the scriptures say.)
    Just as if there were a pool of water in a mountain glen — clear, limpid, and unsullied — where a man with good eyesight standing on the bank could see shells, gravel, and pebbles, and also shoals of fish swimming about and resting, and it would occur to him, 'This pool of water is clear, limpid, and unsullied. Here are these shells, gravel, and pebbles, and also these shoals of fish swimming about and resting.' In the same way — with his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability — the monk directs and inclines it to the knowledge of the ending of the mental fermentations. He discerns, as it has come to be, that 'This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress... This is the way leading to the cessation of stress... These are mental fermentations... This is the origination of fermentations... This is the cessation of fermentations... This is the way leading to the cessation of fermentations.' His heart, thus knowing, thus seeing, is released from the fermentation of sensuality, the fermentation of becoming, the fermentation of ignorance. With release, there is the knowledge, 'Released.' He discerns that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'

This, too, great king, is a fruit of the contemplative life, visible here and now, more excellent than the previous ones and more sublime. And as for another visible fruit of the contemplative life, higher and more sublime than this, there is none.

Do I really have to throw away my darkness?

The practice done correctly will lead you to abandon your darkness of your own free will. (This is based on personal knowledge.)

or am I fusing it with the light?

Fusing it with the light is part of the problem. Discernment lets you separate the skillful components of a defilement from the unskillful, foster the skillful and abandon the unskillful. Part of the reason we hold onto darkness is that we can't see a way to separate it from the positive objectives we associate with it. (This is based on personal knowledge.)

The Knife of Discernment. (audio.)
    Jeffrey
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Relax ... it's not that different.
    lobstersova
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Enlightenment for me is being fully aware that nothing that is perceived can be identified as 'self'; but here I find a self dependently arising and aware of the fact that: 'I' am not my perceived 'self'. LOL

Hmm what does that mean: am I enlightened? or am I aware of that, which the dharma points to and says categorically, that is what does not suffer? But I desire that which does not suffer, and so it goes on... The endless midstream caught between suffering and not suffering and experiencing both simultaneously.

just a thought!

mettha
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Nothing to grasp as solid. Nothing else needed.

For attachment to this life -> impermanence
    For attachment to the sense pleasures -> suffering
    For attachment to peace -> love
  • The definition of enlightenment will vary from view to view. For me, enlightenment is an actual change where one frees themselves of rebirth/samsara, and has much more knowledge of the universe than the average human (ex: Buddha).

For those with a more secular view, enlightenment is just self actualization where you become content with your own life, death, and where you are in the universe.
    anataman
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    yes, and there are how many people in the world with a 'view'?
  • anataman said:

yes, and there are how many people in the world with a 'view'?

Exactly! We see it all the time on this forum.... You try to argue a point, and get the reply "well, in my interpretation...."

This (Buddhism) and other similar religions are ultimately philosophies where every other person will have a different view. Thus, every other person will have a different view on what Enlightenment is or isn't, OP.

Bunks
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited February 2014

A normal person still has a poisoned mind while an enlightened person does not. But it should be noted that there are varying degrees of intoxication. For a Buddha, the poison is completely gone.

Wikipedia has a nice write up about the 3 poisons. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_poisons_(Buddhism)

"In the Buddhist teachings, the three poisons (of ignorance, greed , and hate) are the primary causes that keep sentient beings trapped in samsara. As shown in the wheel of life, the three poisons lead to the creation of karma, which leads to rebirth in the six realms of samsara. Of these three, ignorance is the root poison. From ignorance, attachment and aversion arise."
    Not necessarily. It depends if your mind is poisoned or not.
    Do I really have to throw away my darkness?
    Darkness essentially goes away by itself. I like the analogy of a child's teddy bear. (not implying anyone is a child, but just go with it for the sake of the analogy! :) ) A child will never throw away their teddy bear, but at the same time, yes they will. When they grow up. "Growing up" in Buddhism means when your practice matures more and more and you accumulate more and more wisdom. When that happens, you just let go of the teddy bear and it is of no consequence.
    lobsteranatamanBuddhadragon
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2014

Enlightenment is awakening from the "self verses other" dreamworld.
    To the unenlightened, identity sees countless beings and yourself.
    To the enlightened, there is just dreaming and waking up.
    "Somebody" and "enlightened" are tricky to connect to each other..

Enlightenment simply manifests on it's own as the absence of delusion
    and such an absence dissolves all boundaries between self and other.
    Buddhadragonlobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

What do you mean by "darkness" @heyimacrab?

If you mean your defilements, wouldn't you want to throw them away??
  • Mastering the mind is a supernatural feat I believe.
    NextElementlobster
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited February 2014
    the Buddha described Nibbana in this way...

"This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications, the relinquishment of all acquisitions, the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Nibbana."

I would say there is a huge difference between someone described above, and a normal mundane person. The difference is in the mind, however,not outwardly apparent.
    lobsterBuddhadragon
  • What is the significant difference between somebody who is enlightened and who is not?

Recognition
    Is it simply somehow who constantly in the present moment?
    No

You will find that some people suspect

1. there is no such thing as enlightenment
    2. there is but they are not
    3. they are

Those are the usual suspects

and now back to the unusual . . . as usual . . .
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Dark fused with light is just light. ;)
    lobster
  • What is the significant difference between somebody who is enlightened and who is not?

You can't throw away your darkness. You dispel it when you get enlightened but it comes back when the light dies out. You decide.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited March 2014
    "Everything is always changing. If you relax into this truth, that is Enlightenment. If you resist, this is samsara (suffering).”
    Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse, “What Makes You Not a Buddhist”

Throw away your darkness? Nothing gets thrown away .. what happens is that it stops directing us. You will stop grasping it you darkness, stop identifying with it.

"Just simply" live in the moment?
    Hah. First you have to develop the ability to be mindful for even 2 seconds. And that's when you are sitting on your meditation cushion, not distracted by all this busyness we call "living".
    There is no "just simply" about it.
    We are talking about changing our habits, which is not easy to do. And the habits we are trying to change are habits of countless lifetimes.
    No "simply" at all :)
    But really, no better way to spend your time than working on it.
    Jeffreybanned_crab
  • how can one discribe sight to someone who has been born blind ???

same with enlightenment..

practise practise practise, let go

Buddhadragon
  • @FoibleFull said:
    "Everything is always changing. If you relax into this truth, that is Enlightenment. If you resist, this is samsara (suffering).”

This is truly it. It is the habit of change, the life and death of every moment.

• http://www.khepa.org/Traktung_Yeshe_Dorje/Teachings.html

Teachings from the heart of Silence and Love

At breakfast t.k. was asked “What is the experience of the body and mind after awakening?” He answered:
    First off it is profound non-specialness and utter uniqueness for, in it, the body knows all beings, even all appearance, as a single shattering of light - like the billion rainbows of dawn rays on crystalline frost. All appearance is the poetic utterance of the divine and this means a profound equality of all appearing.
    The extreme meaning-fullness of all appearance arises from awareness’ luminous ground of equality and in each moment this value laden uniqueness manifests as an almost unbearable tender heartedness. It is a question of knowing, recognizing and living that knowing.
    Right behind the breastbone is an expanse of Love whose extent dwarfs infinity. Every appearance subtle or obvious - realms, beings, Buddhas manifests from this expanse of openness and clarity. To the body it feels to be there, behind the breastbone - the heart... but in fact the body and all bodies and appearances are within it.
    After awakening, in the absence of identity, Love lives the body. For this particular body (pointing to his own) it is experienced as a tender heartedness that is ceaselessly welling up, animating the cells with a longing to give itself away to every being, every atom of appearance. Oddly, because it is the natural state, the body almost never even notices - just as a fish does not notice the water it swims in. But if asked, and the body turns its attention toward itself, the radiance of this expanse swiftly overwhelms, engulfs, the senses in unborn bliss.
    The brain is washed clean of its grasping to concept by an unborn Silence. I think maybe Silence is the context of the expanse and Love is the content and they are like a flame and its warmth. In that silence, mind perceives appearing as a network of infinite intersecting luminous threads. What we call space and time, realms and beings, are simply condensation of these threads – droplets, nodal points. Mind, as Silence, uses Love, as body, to manifest compassion in a poetry of circumstance. It does this without ever confusing itself with the concept that there are Buddhas who save or sentient beings who need to be saved, or compassion, or threads of light, or Love or Silence.
    t.k. - traktung yeshe dorje
    A conversation between t.k. and one of his very closest long term students whose realization is profoundly deep.
    A conversation with Sky when t.k. was filling out a government form for her.
    “Sky, when were you born?” – “I was never born.”
    “No, I mean when was your body born?” – “It was never born either.”
    “OK, but in conventional terms, when?” –“I don’t understand what conventional means.”
    … and then she walked away giggling.
    t.k. traktung yeshe dorje

banned_crab
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

@heyimacrab Talking about light and dark misses the entire point, I think. The Buddha taught about how to overcome all forms of suffering... the complete cessation of all suffering is enlightenment, or Nirvana. When we put a metaphysical spin on it of any kind, we're off-goal.

banned_crabBuddhadragon
  • CittaCitta Veteran

The difference between someone who is Enlightened and someone who is not ?

In all honesty I don't know.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2014

I think this verse from the Dhammapada gives a good feel for the state of enlightenment:

96. Calm is his thought, calm his speech, and calm his deed, who, truly knowing, is wholly freed, perfectly tranquil and wise.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited April 2014

Nirvana is in Samsara. If you can accept your darkness and your light and be at peace with both in your every day reality, eventually you could attain a broader concept of enlightenment. If your idea of this elusive enlightenment doesn't help you lead a more fulfilling life here and now, it can wait.