Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Practice of Eating One Big Meal

matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur BodhisattvaSuburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
So it looks like today I will be following the 6th precept (no food after noon/no dinner/no 3rd meal/1 big meal around lunch time), also known as Thanksgiving.

I assume that one doesn't want to continually lose weight so I ought to eat enough calories to not lose weight, so calories I don't eat for breakfast or dinner would be moved to lunch time. And that results in a huge meal, which looks like gluttony to me (and by modern terms, this would be excessive portion sizes).

Q1: For this particular practice, how does one square the fact that if you follow the 6th precept that the remaining meal is going to be a *big one*?

I think for a cynic like myself, to salvage this precept, the goal ought to be "eat just enough to maintain a skinny frame" and use what ever dieting stratagems are considered effective at the moment. (For example, in the book "The End of Overeating", focusing in on pavlov's dogs-type stimulus-response issues is trendy, where you replace overeating habits with other habits-- plus other things, it's a big book)

Q2: What do you do to keep grasping & clinging to food in check?

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited November 2013
    I had weight loss surgery so I cannot have "big" meals.. this was a concern for me when i first started going on retreat.. turns out food is a crutch and an attachment, I did fine with the little food I was able to eat(breakfast and lunch), and I actually help out with physical things like chopping and moving wood etc.

eat whatever you need to maintain your current activity level, and that is always less then what we think.

as for keeping the clinging in check, obviously like I stated I had weight loss surgery 3 years ago. At my max I was 373 lbs, mostly got to that point due to poor eating habits (over eating and eating carbs) as well as depression and emotional eating. This is something I STILL struggle with, as changing 30 years of habit is much harder then cutting up a stomach and making it smaller.

I tend to find solace in the reflection on requisites that the monks chant at Bhavana Society. It goes something like " I partake of this food with mindful reflection and I eat it not for enjoyment or good looks but for the continuation of this body and living the brahamacharyia lifestyle". It's much longer then that but you get the point, it's about being mindful of WHY we are eating.

then of course there is the being mindful of every spoon/fork full we take, observing as we chew with solidity turns to liquidity etc.
    matthewmartinAliece8
  • Mindful and intuitive eating is the best way to go, IMO. Eat when hungry, eat purposely and slowly, but until satisfied. Forget about labeling things "good foods" or "bad foods".

Eat "healthy" as much as possible, but deny yourself nothing when it comes to treats or sweets. Restrictive dieting and denial leads to cravings, and much of the time it's a real physical craving as well as emotional.
    A healthy body demands food from all groups, not just one or two.
    Even sugar has it's function in the human body. So does fat. You can't live (not long, anyway) totally denying your body either one.

Eating one meal a day is not good in general. The body needs to maintain levels of blood sugars and triglycerides, etc. through its day and night. The body will continue to work to digest, even if the stomach is empty of food. (that's why we get hunger pains and hear our stomachs growl when empty/ hungry).

After a while this can lead to issues like stomach problems and ulcers. Or, on the other hand, it can cause our systems to slow down and even shut down, causing irreparable damage to our metabolism and digestive systems.

Eating only one meal can also cause blood sugars to spike UP like crazy, and then cause a terrible 'crash' several hours later... with no more food coming in to help level things off.

Eating several *small* meals throughout waking hours is the 'best' way to nourish the body, and keep things at levels that are more sustainable.

(Notice I have not brought "weight loss" into any aspect of my comment. People should eat for HEALTH, not weight loss, nor gain)
    matthewmartinBunkscvalueTheEccentric
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Try considering putting yourself in the Buddha's position and figuring out why he introduced this eating rule 2600 years ago to meditation monks living off the alms of an often poor laity. Monks that were also limited from doing many physical activities. Monks that might choose such a safe & easy occupation over the brutally hard physical labor alternatives of the time.

Then ask yourself if the intent of such a rule actually applies to you.
    lobsterMaryAnnematthewmartinanataman
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    Jayantha said:

I tend to find solace in the reflection on requisites that the monks chant at Bhavana Society. It goes something like " I partake of this food with mindful reflection and I eat it not for enjoyment or good looks but for the continuation of this body and living the brahamacharyia lifestyle". It's much longer then that but you get the point, it's about being mindful of WHY we are eating.

I'll have to look that up, I found two versions of pre-meal "grace" recitations, that both appear to be from the Zen tradition (5 number things to think about/be grateful about)

Focusing on the reason why we eat (health vs mere pleasure) matches up with the book I just read, which presented itself as fairly recent research-- so the Buddha (and friends) again, were 2500 years a head of their time.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

Another Zen pre meal recitation.

I must think deeply on the ways and means by which this food has come.
    to consider my merit when accepting it,
    to protect myself from error by excluding greed from my mind,
    to eat lest I become lean & die,
    to accept this food to become enlightened.
    anatamanmatthewmartinLii

Jayantha said:

I'll have to look that up, I found two versions of pre-meal "grace" recitations, that both appear to be from the Zen tradition (5 number things to think about/be grateful about)

Focusing on the reason why we eat (health vs mere pleasure) matches up with the book I just read, which presented itself as fairly recent research-- so the Buddha (and friends) again, were 2500 years a head of their time.

I found it for ya - Sabbasava Sutta

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.002.than.html

"Reflecting appropriately, he uses almsfood, not playfully, nor for intoxication, nor for putting on bulk, nor for beautification; but simply for the survival & continuance of this body, for ending its afflictions, for the support of the holy life, thinking, 'Thus will I destroy old feelings [of hunger] and not create new feelings [from overeating]. I will maintain myself, be blameless, & live in comfort.'
    matthewmartinpegembara
  • Eating once a day and in a large volume is pretty bad for your stomach and digestive system, not to mention nutrition etc. Of course if you did it often your body would adapt to it and I myself have been on fasts, but I think a healthy body is as essential as a healthy mind.

If you are going to skip meals I heard that if you intend to eat twice a day Breakfast and Dinner should be eaten, if only once then Lunch.
    matthewmartinvinlyn
  • In my experience, eating three meals a day has always been problematic for my physical and mental health. When eating three meals per day, I gain significant weight over time and I feel sluggish all day. When I fast during the day, I am much more productive and alert. My mood is better too. If I eat lunch I always just want to take a nap. I do sometimes eat a piece of fruit during the day, but if I eat carbohydrates or fats all I want to do is siesta.

I try to maintain a policy of only eating when I am hungry. I have become aware that withdrawal from sugar, fat, and salt addictions is often mistaken for hunger. Amazingly, sometimes I don't get hungry at all for days on end. Then when I do eat, I am satisfied with a small to normal sized portion.
    matthewmartin
  • In my experience, eating three meals a day has always been problematic for my physical and mental health. When eating three meals per day, I gain significant weight over time and I feel sluggish all day. When I fast during the day, I am much more productive and alert. My mood is better too. If I eat lunch I always just want to take a nap. I do sometimes eat a piece of fruit during the day, but if I eat carbohydrates or fats all I want to do is siesta.

I try to maintain a policy of only eating when I am hungry. I have become aware that withdrawal from sugar, fat, and salt addictions is often mistaken for hunger. Amazingly, sometimes I don't get hungry at all for days on end. Then when I do eat, I am satisfied with a small to normal sized portion.

Personally I think my ex girlfriend from Italy had it down the best, she said that in Italy it is often that the eat smaller meals but say 5 a day, plus their diet is really quite healthy anyway. Smaller meals are easier on the stomach and digestive system, you do not feel bloated and if you have say 4-5 a day then it works out in my books.

I have done several fasts, some times through choice and others believe it or not where I would rather not eat than go outside to buy food. I went 3 days with barely any food just water whilst my partner was away last year and had a bad spell of anxiety. I learned a lot, I learned that there are phases to starvation and a lot of it is a mental game. You first feel hungry, then you get this empty feeling in your stomach and then hungrier. Then may comes some sickness but after that you are good for a long while if you do not smell some nice food or start to dwell on it. I assume after say a few days it has more phases but it is a real mind game. You can technically goes weeks without food and only on water, but you will be so tired and your thought processes will be whack. That is what I don't understand about people thinking fasting helps them think better, it is proven that food at a moderate to sufficient level helps keep mental concentration and function up and running. The Buddha tried starving himself and torturing himself and nearly died, then he found the path.
    MaryAnnematthewmartin
  • Hi,
    you wondred about the way of eating as a buddhist. In Pali-Canon there is mentioned
    that this way is strenthening you mental and physical health.
    The germans eat their food mostly at 12 o`clock. It´s just a custom, what time you eat.
    The only problems with eating food is the evening. I nearly can´t hod back.

sakko
    matthewmartin
  • anando said:

Hi,
    you wondred about the way of eating as a buddhist. In Pali-Canon there is mentioned
    that this way is strenthening you mental and physical health.
    The germans eat their food mostly at 12 o`clock. It´s just a custom, what time you eat.
    The only problems with eating food is the evening. I nearly can´t hod back.

sakko

Well also here in Thailand it is 90% of the time food is rice, rice after 5-6pm is a bad idea so we eat fruit or seeds. That is if we are being good lol. I still stick by my ex GFs way of life, the Italian way of life, 5 small deals a day...
    matthewmartin
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Why is eating rice after 6 p.m. bad? I never heard that.
  • vinlyn said:

Are you joking? Well I guess it depends what you do after 6, but rice is a slow releasing carb and so it releases a lot of energy slowly probably when you are relaxing or asleep.. This leads to bad sleep or weight gain etc
  • You can technically goes weeks without food and only on water, but you will be so tired and your thought processes will be whack. That is what I don't understand about people thinking fasting helps them think better, it is proven that food at a moderate to sufficient level helps keep mental concentration and function up and running. The Buddha tried starving himself and torturing himself and nearly died, then he found the path.

Perhaps everyone responds differently to fasting. I am certainly not advocating starving one's self or any kind of asceticism. But I find that when I have fat on my body (which I usually do), I experience no downside to fasting for a few days and my mind is very much sharper than usual.
  • You do realize that the body goes into starvation mode with little food and conserves fat? It is something genetic from primitive man, yep you store fat and when you are hungry and starve your body will start to eat muscle first.

vinlyn said:

Are you joking? Well I guess it depends what you do after 6, but rice is a slow releasing carb and so it releases a lot of energy slowly probably when you are relaxing or asleep.. This leads to bad sleep or weight gain etc
    Ah, okay. But I guess the time might actually vary based on the time one goes to bed. I often have this discussion with my neighbor who goes to bed at about 10 p.m., as opposed to me...I go to bed between 1-2 a.m.

• You can gradually eat smaller portions so your body doesn't freak out that it is starving. After practicing for a year you just can't eat your full plate of food. I do think you need some low calorie snacks. The ones I like are grape tomatoes. A friend of mine eats sugar peas and red pepper slices.
  • vinlyn said:

vinlyn said:

Ah, okay. But I guess the time might actually vary based on the time one goes to bed. I often have this discussion with my neighbor who goes to bed at about 10 p.m., as opposed to me...I go to bed between 1-2 a.m.

Yea but what do you do in that time, how active are you in burning the energy off?
    Nada. I'm just saying that you can't set a specific time that works equally well for every person.
  • Eating late at night or close to bedtime does not hold any real significance to losing or gaining weight. That is a myth; assuming you are not consuming HUGE quantities at any time - day OR night...

The body's digestive system works 24/7 without any limitations linked to the clocks on our walls or wrists.
    True, your body systems slow down -to some extent- while resting and/or sleeping, but that doesn't change the actual process of changing some food into quick energy, some food into longer-term energy or what it's going to store as 'fat' or not.

The food you eat 5 minutes after you get up in the morning, (or five minutes before you go to bed) is not even processed for at least several hours or more, when it hits your intestines, where it will then be broken down into whatever nutrients, fats, sugars, etc and sent on it's way for use or storage. So what you eat at 11 PM isn't even fully processed until morning or so, anyhow; and you've already started your daily activities and such.

Liquids, however, are a different story, which is why coffee or other caffeinated drinks (or sugary drinks or snacks) strongly affect some people and keep them up at night if they have them too late... and why they "pick you up" when you take 'energy' drinks or sugary snacks during the day.
    But regular meals /food takes hours to process, and is a constant process - day and night.

matthewmartinpommesetorangesEvenThirdcvalue
  • edited November 2013

You do realize that the body goes into starvation mode with little food and conserves fat? It is something genetic from primitive man, yep you store fat and when you are hungry and starve your body will start to eat muscle first.

I've heard that said before but I honestly don't believe it.

edit to add this informative post regarding "starvation mode": http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/761810-the-starvation-mode-myth-again
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    They say the healthiest way to eat is frequently in small portions to maintain a healthy metabolism which is about the opposite of what you're going to do.

I think that going hungry for most of the day is not only unpleasant but unhealthy which is why this precept should be removed.
    ThailandTomcvalue

I think that going hungry for most of the day is not only unpleasant but unhealthy which is why this precept should be removed.

I agree with that. As if the fate of Buddhism is going to be decided by not eating after noon.

edited November 2013

They say the healthiest way to eat is frequently in small portions to maintain a healthy metabolism which is about the opposite of what you're going to do.

There are studies that disprove the whole eating small meals frequently being better thing. Which actually is how i eat since my weight loss surgery. i have no choice but to eat that way, i do like it though, but i honestly think each method will work better or wose depending on the person. This is pretty much my answer to this whole thread.

As for not eating after noon being unpleasant, personally i find it liberating and not unpleasant at all. Ive adjusted pretty quickly during my week long retreats to where i dont even get hungry after 12, even after heavy work like wood cutting.

matthewmartinEvenThirdcvalue
  • So it looks like today I will be following the 6th precept (no food after noon/no dinner/no 3rd meal/1 big meal around lunch time), also known as Thanksgiving.

I assume that one doesn't want to continually lose weight so I ought to eat enough calories to not lose weight, so calories I don't eat for breakfast or dinner would be moved to lunch time. And that results in a huge meal, which looks like gluttony to me (and by modern terms, this would be excessive portion sizes).

Q1: For this particular practice, how does one square the fact that if you follow the 6th precept that the remaining meal is going to be a *big one*?

I think for a cynic like myself, to salvage this precept, the goal ought to be "eat just enough to maintain a skinny frame" and use what ever dieting stratagems are considered effective at the moment. (For example, in the book "The End of Overeating", focusing in on pavlov's dogs-type stimulus-response issues is trendy, where you replace overeating habits with other habits-- plus other things, it's a big book)

Q2: What do you do to keep grasping & clinging to food in check?

I eat one meal a day in the evening but not for spiritual practice per se. I eat a raw vegan diet, and I prefer to drink juice through the day and then eat a large salad on an evening (LARGE large). I do it because I feel more grounded and my mind clearer without being over stimulated by food. I just feel nice and centred within myself, and have a calm, gentle energy throughout the day, i'm not hurried, not frantic, just nicely paced which makes it easier to be aware. It's not hard to adjust to. It became a habit very quickly, just takes some initial discipline. If i'm exercising i'll replace the juice with smoothie. All freshly made.
    thegoldeneternity

• I eat one meal a day in the evening but not for spiritual practice per se. I eat a raw vegan diet, and I prefer to drink juice through the day and then eat a large salad on an evening (LARGE large). I do it because I feel more grounded and my mind clearer without being over stimulated by food. I just feel nice and centred within myself, and have a calm, gentle energy throughout the day, i'm not hurried, not frantic, just nicely paced which makes it easier to be aware. It's not hard to adjust to. It became a habit very quickly, just takes some initial discipline. If i'm exercising i'll replace the juice with smoothie. All freshly made.

cool! glad i'm not the only one who finds this eating schedule to be beneficial.
  • You do realize that the body goes into starvation mode with little food and conserves fat? It is something genetic from primitive man, yep you store fat and when you are hungry and starve your body will start to eat muscle first.

I've heard that said before but I honestly don't believe it.

edit to add this informative post regarding "starvation mode": http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/761810-the-starvation-mode-myth-again
    Starvation mode takes a long time to kick in. People water fast for weeks on end. The body eats up old, dead, diseased tissues first, then fats, then muscle. If you are not doing too much exercise, i.e. resting well during a fast, then you have a long time before starvation kicks in.
  • Hi,
    I`ve read you comments and it´s true that eating at different times may have different effects. But if one is a Buddhist and wants to go the path he has to stay with the eating rules of Gotamo Buddho.
  • Hi,
    i think we should put that into the right order. This kind of eating has a meaning: Getting stronger in mental and physical health.
    That´s it. It´s not to do it, but the more you practice, the better it is.

anando
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    I'm currently at a monastery where they only eat one huge meal. It makes me feel awful for a few hours after eating... Groggy, tired. I really don't like doing it.
    The rest of the day I feel fine though, except for low energy in the hour before eating.
    It's not ideal for me, but it's only for 5 weeks, then I can go back to having both breakfast and lunch, which suits my body well.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    This monastery I'm visiting does several of the thirteen special austere practises, meant only for those keen to push their limits.
    I can't imagine doing the no lying down one!
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhutanga
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2014

I'm currently at a monastery where they only eat one huge meal. It makes me feel awful for a few hours after eating... Groggy, tired. I really don't like doing it.

I've done retreats at a monastery where there's no evening meal, and it didn't work too well for me. I ended up pigging out on the meal at lunch-time, and took a secret stash of chocolate for a midnight feast. :p