Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Worshiping the buddha to bring peace prosperity and emancipation

anatamananataman Who needs a title?Where am I? Veteran
edited February 2014 in Buddhism Basics
I was looking at some Thangka images online and came across a thousand buddha thangka on a site called 'exotic india' (http://www.exoticindiaart.com), and have taken this extract of the description of it. Of course I am bearing in mind that it's selling some beautiful imagery:

'This exquisitely painted thangka depicts Thousand-Buddhas with Shakyamuni Buddha, seated on six-ornament throne of enlightenment, in the center. It shows the power of Thousand Buddhas, their love for suffering beings, and their worship will bring peace, prosperity and emancipation.'

http://www.exoticindiaart.com/buddha/tu93.jpg

I suppose the thing that got me was, it seems to be selling the idea that if 'I worship the buddha' I can by devotional worship achieve the same thing as meditation?

Do you worship the buddha(s)? Or have you killed that one dead?

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I think worship is common ... right up to the moment when life goes "boo!"
    lobsteranataman
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I pay respect to the memory of Buddha, but no, I don't worship him.
    anataman
  • I doubt it is the same thing as meditation. Apples and oranges.
    anataman
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    To worship the Buddha is to put him out of reach... Isn't the opposite true about meditation?
    anataman
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I don't personally but I don't begrudge anyone who does in order to help their practice.

I used to go to an NKT meditation class of a lunch time and they used to sing this song to thank Buddha for his help etc. I thought it was corny and it made me cringe but maybe it worked for the other people there?
  • I suppose the thing that got me was, it seems to be selling the idea that if 'I worship the buddha' I can by devotional worship achieve the same thing as meditation?
    Speaking from experience . . .
    Worship is too weak a word. You need to aim for adoration and love as a minimum. It is really a question of shifting the self cherishing into a form. It is a Yidam or guru worship tactic. Identify with, lose self in. You are sane enough to be a surgeon, you should do fine . . . combine it with meditation? Yowzah! (whatever that means - could be a mantra) :)

zscanatamanperson
  • zsczsc Explorer
    anataman said:

I suppose the thing that got me was, it seems to be selling the idea that if 'I worship the buddha' I can by devotional worship achieve the same thing as meditation?

Well, yes actually. @lobster explained it better than I can, though.

It does bring "peace, prosperity, and emancipation" too. Who says "prosperity" is just about money? :)

anataman
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Thanks for taking the time to ponder this with me. I wasn't sure what to make of such a statement but there were some good perspectives to consider...

Mettha
  • Hi,
    the right way to worship Gotamo Buddho,is to apply his teaching of the 8fold path.

anando
    anataman
  • anataman said:

'This exquisitely painted thangka depicts Thousand-Buddhas with Shakyamuni Buddha, seated on six-ornament throne of enlightenment, in the center. It shows the power of Thousand Buddhas, their love for suffering beings, and their worship will bring peace, prosperity and emancipation.'

I don't like the word 'worship' because it connotes a subservience to a deity, and kowtowing; that's just me. Devotional worship-cum-meditation is a Hindu concept, bhakti. "Always think of Me, become My devotee, worship Me and offer your homage unto Me. Thus you will come to Me without fail. I promise you this because you are My very dear friend." - Bhagavad Gita 18.65 In that case worship and meditation are pretty much the same thing. But that's Hinduism. I think images of, and respect/reverence for the buddhas and bodhisattvas keep one mindful of their help and our goals.

I have an altar with a few deities, buddhas and bodhisattvas, and some offering cups, but I don't really do much with it except light the candles and incense, fill the cups, and say some prayers. But of course I have deities, candles and incense all over the house anyway. :D

anatamanlobster
  • Buddha was aksed what is the best way to worship him.
    "The highest reverence you can show me is by practising what I have taught you"

anataman said:

I was looking at some Thangka images online and came across a thousand buddha thangka on a site called 'exotic india' (http://www.exoticindiaart.com), and have taken this extract of the description of it. Of course I am bearing in mind that it's selling some beautiful imagery:

anatamanlobsterJeffrey
  • anataman said:

Most probably, worshiping works for some and it does not have to be Buddha we are worshiping. Justin Bieber would do well even especially when he sucks.
    anatamanFoibleFull
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    anataman said:

There are many approaches in the different traditions, but broadly I think what is being "worshipped" is the ideal of enlightenment.
    Obviously some people will have a lot of baggage associated with the word "worship".
  • Worship is a heavily loaded word.
    Seems a bit too close to idolatry to me.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2014
    Worship is a heavily loaded word.
    Seems a bit too close to idolatry to me.
    Indeed. Understood. Not required.

I had a Jewish dharma Buddy who would attend the evening Tara practice every day BUT would never bow to the Buddha dolls/idols/statues. Even though he was not a practicing Jew it someone felt disrespectful to the hard won Judaic tradition of non bowing to anything but Allah/Jehovah or . . . who is that JHVH? Not required, there are other practices/gates.
    Fair enough, no one was concerned.

However some of us for example Catholics are quite used to religious dolls and pictorial reminders. We loan them credentials, invest them with our powers of concrete idolization. Yantra, mantra, thangka are sort of Dharmic film or pop stars.
    Does building such a relationship work? Of course. You are generating a mind and emotional projection. The abstraction for example compassion, takes the powerful form of Avolokiteshvara
    http://www.souledout.org/healing/healingdeities/avolokiteshvara.html

Makes it 'real'. Changes lives.

OM MANI PEME HUM
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    poptart said:

Worship is a heavily loaded word.

I worship ice-cream but haven't created a religion out of it... :p

lobster
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    So do I the mantra is nice and short: om Haagen Dazs.
    DairyLamalobster
  • zsczsc Explorer
    Really, when you actually try practicing devotion to the Buddha(s), you answer the question "does it bring peace, prosperity, and emancipation?" for yourself.