Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Christian at the Swap Meet

comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
edited July 2005 in Buddhism Today
I went ot the swap meet today and a guy passing out pamphlets tried giving me one. I told him I was Buddhist and we got to talking. He had some basic knowledge of all religions and beliefs. He didn't act judgemental at all. He told me he didn't own anything except the clothes on his back and his bible. He lived at th emission. He said he was happy with what God had given him. We got to talking about the bible and I mentioned the first and tenth commandment contradicted each other. I recited them and instead of making up something he said what I said made sense and he had to look up an explanation. I gave him my phone number and he said he would give me a call. I also asked him to explain why God would have to send his son here to forgive us of our sins being that God made all the rules and could just say we are forgiven. He didn't have an answer but his faith was not swayed. I didn't want to sway his faith at all. I told him there are Buddhist Christians and muslim and Buddhist everything. He told me that people mix things upm and they are misguided. I will say his discipline was great. I used to get a little heated with these types but this time with my new outlook I was more interested in his answers without judgement. I am curious to see what he calls me with.

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    If he has internet access, invite him to the site! :)
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I don't think he does but I will invite him just the same. :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    It is a great blessing, Comic, to meet a religious person of any persuasion who is ready to talk rather than preach, and to open our own ears rather than our mouth!
    edited June 2005
    Very true Simon. :bigclap:
  • edited June 2005
    A true Christian is open to anything...and thats the problem with most these days. Its great knowing that there are still open-minded christians out there! :)
    edited June 2005
    I went back to the swap meet to day. The guy was there again and he shook my hand and said, "hello Jason". He remembered my name. :)

I told him about our discussion here and I invited him to the site. Hopefully he will come on and post here with us. He is a real nice guy.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Good point, Simon.

I think most Christians forget what the New Testament is all about and how Paul taught. I don't remember Paul ever sitting down and writing out this huge argument he had with this stupid person that didn't believe in God.

"Let us reason together" sticks out in my head.

Michael
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Jason did you ever see this guy again?
    edited July 2005
    Only the 2 times. I have not had time to go back there. Maybe this saturday I will.