Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Animals

Hi, I am new to Buddhism and am learning day by day through books and podcast,s of the Dalia Lama. One really important thing which has been puzzling me about the life Animals is ' why do some animals seem to exist only for the purpose of feeding others ' can anyone help me please ? It really bothers me when I see programs of animals being eaten by other,s, it upset,s me and I think about it for hours later. It has come to the point now when I can,t watch wild life. Help please.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Are you talking about humans eating animals - or animals eating other animals?
  • Thank you for replying, animals eating animals. It hurts me so much.
    lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Some animals are carnivores, some are omnivores, some are vegetarian.
    It is what it is.
    You can't change that.
    That's the way life - and nature - plays out.

There is nothing you can do to change that.
    This is the only way some animals can exist.
    This is the way they're made.
    Carnivores in the wild, can't be converted to vegetarianism.
    You have to understand that every creature is a link in 'the food Chain'.

Really, if you don't mind me saying so, you need to develop a thicker skin.
    This kind of sensitivity is actually not good for you.
    Truly.

I am far more sensitive, pained and hurt by some of the inhuman things so-called humans do to other humans.

Animals have no choice but to behave as they do.
    Humans always have a choice.
    That some humans deliberately decide to wilfully hurt other humans, is far worse in my mind.
    lobsteranataman
  • Mybe I am to sensitive but that is me. Of course like you I am hurt by the way so called humans treat each other, but like you say, most have a choice to change there behaviour. I dont know how I can become more thick skinned, mybe I will learn along the way. Thanks for your reply.
    Bunks
  • robotrobot Veteran
    Perhaps with a deeper understanding of how species depend on predation by carnivores to keep the population strong and healthy, you will be more comfortable with the natural order of things.
  • It really bothers me when I see programs of animals being eaten by other,s, it upset,s me and I think about it for hours later.
    That helps neither you or animals as far as I am aware. Try finding an animal benefit practice maybe . . .
    https://www.lamayeshe.com/index.php?sect=article&id=333
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    It's quite awful, this 'human' realm, us here with all the critters. In this realm (or world or level of reality or whatever you want to call it, I have no idea myself) the beings must eat each other to survive.

No wonder the Buddha wanted off.

jae
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I grew up, I guess, less sensitized to it in a way. It's not uncommon here to see wolves take down deer. But also, ticks and mosquitoes can make humans severely ill, so we aren't entirely out of that loop. Though I do have a hard time watching some of the Planet Earth types of videos, it really is just the way the animal world is.

For me, it helps to look at both angles. Yes, one animal might die to feed another. But if that animal didn't die, then the one chasing it would die of starvation. And quite possible if wolves never caught deer (for example) the deer population would rise to unhealthy, unsustainable levels for their environment. When there are too many of them, they spread a lot of disease, they starve, they fight (violently) for food, they congregate near roads and get hit by cars, and so on. So while yes, it is sad a deer might die to feed a wolf pack, it is the way nature is set up and it's actually for a reason of maintaining balance. Ecology and the food web is pretty sensitive and tentative, and major interruptions along any part can have severe impacts on the rest of the web. It's a delicate balance, and nature does it better than we do. Sometimes, our logic doesn't serve us as well as we think. What we think makes good people sense, might not make good wolf, or bear or lion sense. They are driven by an instinct to survive that a lot of us are fortunate to have been able to put on the back burner. But most of us, if put into a similar position of true survival, would revert to the same behavior, either to save ourselves, or our kids, or someone else. Animals are just unfortunate to have to live that way all the time.
    anataman
  • maddy said:

Thank you for replying, animals eating animals. It hurts me so much.

You mean you experience secondary pain/dukkha out of your control? In essence you are hurting yourself by lack of mental discipline or inability to come to terms with the first Noble Truth. You are new and so can gain from others experience.
    Suffering is indeed part of the cycle and animals have a hard time. That is why being human has real potential beyond instinctual behaviour.

What is your plan?

federicaVastmindjaevinlyn
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    maddy said:

Hi, I am new to Buddhism and am learning day by day through books and podcast,s of the Dalia Lama. One really important thing which has been puzzling me about the life Animals is ' why do some animals seem to exist only for the purpose of feeding others ' can anyone help me please ? It really bothers me when I see programs of animals being eaten by other,s, it upset,s me and I think about it for hours later. It has come to the point now when I can,t watch wild life. Help please.

If animals weren't meant to kill each other, life would have collapsed due to lack of space and resources to keep all the animal species alive. This perpetual conflict keeps numbers in check, and nature, as a whole, in balance. Even bacteria that live on skin, or inside the digestive tract "feed" on each other. Because of this kind of...numerical balance, they actually help the organism function well. ( they're not animals, nor plants; you'll see why I chose this example )
    If you want to get a little insight into ' why animals kill each other' , I suggest you take a look into some basic ecology ( how does an ecosystem work ).

• maddy said:

Some people I know say animals are made by God to serve us as food and these people say a prayer when they slaughter the animal they are going to eat. I have heard some say that when a cow is being slaughtered for a festival as it is done by other religious group here, the cow would struggle and try to escape. It would even shed a tear. So, no, I don't think some animals or any other animals at all, exist only for the purpose of feeding others. They want to live and enjoy the fresh air like us too but unlike us, they are not in control of their lives. That's why, Buddhism says it is indeed fortunate to be born as human. You get the opportunity to get enlightened too. Animals don't get that opportunity. Now, as I say this, I count my blessing. Blessed too to think that there are no cannibals around to think I am just around to serve their needs.
    Chrysalid
  • maddy said:

It bothers you because you're a caring person, you empathise with the individual that is suffering and don't brush it off just because it's "only an animal". There are millions of people in the world that don't care about the suffering and deaths of non-human animals, they are the ones to be pitied because their hearts have hardened, they've rationalised suffering and are the poorer for it. So, you should be pleased that you feel the way that you do, it means you have the capacity for universal compassion and kindness.
    xtineVastmind
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    maddy said:

Thank you for replying, animals eating animals. It hurts me so much.

You pray for them to be reborn out of the animal realm so they don't have to live like that anymore and suffer like that anymore. And then you make a vow to save them. This is the way of a Bodhisattva.

:)

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    There is no "why" involved. It just is the way it is.

Use your pain to help you understand the First Noble Truth of Buddhism:
    Suffering exists.

Is it not so? For ALL sentient beings, there is suffering at some point, at many points. Suffering is defined as anything from what you and I would call "suffering" down to that vague discontent that plagues most of us and even down to the plain truth that even if we do manage to find contentment, everything in life is impermanent and nothing lasts.

Use your understanding of suffering to motivate you to achieve enlightenment. Not just for yourself, but because once you have attained enlightenment, you can then help all others find enlightenment .. freedom from suffering.
    Because all beings will suffer until they attain enlightenment. It is a fact.

May all sentient beings have happiness and its causes,
    May all sentient beings be free of suffering and its causes,
    May all sentient beings never be separated from bliss without suffering,
    May all sentient beings be in equanimity, free of bias, attachment and anger.
    (The Four Immeasurables)

The goal of Buddhism is not to run away from pain, but to open fully to both pain and joy. The first step is to stop thinking that the problem is outside of us or that it needs to be "fixed".
    "Everything is always changing. If you relax into this truth, that is Enlightenment. If you resist, this is samsara (suffering).”
    Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse, “What Makes You Not a Buddhist”
    Vastmind
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    An extract from the Serenity Prayer seems appropriate here:

"...give me grace to accept with serenity
    the things that cannot be changed,
    Courage to change the things
    which should be changed,
    and the Wisdom to distinguish
    the one from the other."
  • NeleNele Veteran
    I used to become very angry and distraught when confronted with animal suffering. I didn't expect that reading and studying Buddhist principles would change that very much, but it has - quite a bit. Now I have a different set of problems with regard to the animals I come into contact with. What to do, for example, with the ant colony that seeps into my house once a year? Before I would put out poison. Now I try to ignore them, since they are slow-moving, tiny little things, only venturing out when the dog drops food on the floor or I leave crumbs about. Eventually they fade away. Like us.
    Vastmind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2014

. . . and now a message from the 'white fox' that was buried as a member of the Sangha . . .
    http://chanbuddhismuk.proboards.com/thread/413?page=1

and the cow that cried . . .
    http://living-vegan.blogspot.co.uk/2007/07/cow-that-cried.html

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I found the living vegan blog quite an eye opener - especially, when you look at the number of animals killed during the time you had been on the page...

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

lolololol There was a lady in our old building who
    would come and take oranges and apples that I would
    sit next to a little gold buddha...hahaha. People said " why aren't you getting
    pissed?". I said well....if she needs to eat, that's the least I could
    do for her. And how could I say she was stealing when I gave it
    away? Talk about WWBD ? lolololol