Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Campaign to Bring Back Smilies

poptartpoptart Veteran
edited March 2014 in NewBuddhist.com
Dunno about you, but I miss the little critters.

VastmindjaeLinc

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @Lincoln.... this problem still needs addressing.
    Obviously some posters are getting withdrawal symptoms.

attachments, huh?? :D
    VastmindLincBunks
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    It isn't just withdrawal symptoms. It's being able to use an emoticon to give body language to a post. Humor is not always clear in words on the internet, for example. It makes it all a little more about the finer points of human communication.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I know.
    I was just being facetious..... :rolleyes:

Cool. I'd smile, if I could.
    you can....

colon close bracket.....

I did put it up elsewhere.

It is possible, even with 'DIY'.... in fact, I often use DIY instead of clicking and choosing... it's quicker at times!
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Us old people are too old and set in our ways to learn how to manually do a smilie Federica.
    bring back the drinking coffee smilie, that one is important for many posts :-P

How old are you, @Jayantha....? :scratch:
    Physical age or mental age? Ahah

Is there a way to make the coffee one?
    edited March 2014
    physical age.
    i know your mental age.
    :p

Yes.

:coffee:
  • :coffee:

:lol: They're back!!!
    Actually, they don't work for me.....

:D
  • NeleNele Veteran
    Am I old? (58). Personally I like the manual emoticons :-) Less blatantly emotive.
    I'm 57 - I'm definitely NOT old!!
    Nele
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    I actually fixed it last weekend but I didn't make it auto-clear your browser cache. That's why some folks saw it and some didn't.

Should work for everyone now.
    lobster
  • Lincoln said:

I actually fixed it last weekend but I didn't make it auto-clear your browser cache.

Emm, can you explain that for a fogey?
    edited March 2014
    A web page is made of lots of bits and pieces (images, style sheets, scripts, and more). It's not like a Word Doc where it's 1 file. You need all the puzzle pieces for it to work every time you click.

Your browser saves a copy of some of those bits and pieces sometimes so you don't have to re-collect the whole puzzle every time you click. That copy is called your "cache".

The old script for the smilies had an error in it that cropped up after a recent update to other stuff it relied on.

I replaced it with a new script. But some of you kept seeing the old copy from your cache.

Now I changed its version number, which made everyone's browser wake up and go "oh shoot! better get the new one!"

So now it's fixed for everyone :)
    poptartVastmind
  • Thanks. Does that mean I have to log out and in again to get mine to work?
    edited March 2014
    Mine still don't work, logging out or not.....
    I get the selection box with all the emoticons, but clicking on any of them doesn't activate them in my post.
    Oh I thought it was just the dropdown that was broken. One tick.
    edited March 2014
    There ya go. :dunce:
    Vastmindpoptart
    :thumbsup:

Per-fect!!

but can you put them where you want, though?

(No, they still go at the end of the post, and you still have to 'move them by hand'....)
    Ah well, it's progress, at least!

:lol:
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited March 2014
    :rockon:

Yes! It's on like donkey kong!!!! :rocker:
    Thanks, Lincoln!!!!! :clap:
  • :D

you're a star, Lincoln! :rockon:
    Vastmind
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Hurrah! :thumbsup:
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    federica said:

I'm 67.... you're a kid! :)
    Vastmind
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    :whatever:
    edited March 2014

federica said:

I'm 67.... you're a kid! :)
    Old woman!.. man,... I'm 37... what? I'm 37. im not old.. well i do apologize for calling you old but from behind..

:nyah:

oh btw Federica I never answered your question, going to be 36 in two months.