Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How much time/money do you spend to look nice?

haircare, cosmetics, perfume, clothes, shoes, botox, surgery, tan...

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    hermitwin said:

As little as possible. :p
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Really, very little. I don't wear makeup, I don't style my hair (though I do get haircuts). I don't buy fancy clothes, I actually hate having to spend money on clothes so I wear them until they are worn out, lol. I do tend to have a thing for athletic shoes, though. I also workout but that's more to stay healthy (after watching my grandma suffer from osteoperosis) and set a good example for my kids. I'm not a slob by any means, it's just not an area that is terribly important to me. Too busy doing other things.
    Bunks
  • jlljll Veteran
    I am a slob and proud of it.
    lol.
    karasti said:

Really, very little. I don't wear makeup, I don't style my hair (though I do get haircuts). I don't buy fancy clothes, I actually hate having to spend money on clothes so I wear them until they are worn out, lol. I do tend to have a thing for athletic shoes, though. I also workout but that's more to stay healthy (after watching my grandma suffer from osteoperosis) and set a good example for my kids. I'm not a slob by any means, it's just not an area that is terribly important to me. Too busy doing other things.

NirvanaDairyLama
  • jlljll Veteran
    I dont comb my hair, its very short.
    I dont iron my clothes.
    and 99% of the time, I wear slippers.
    Bunks
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    hermitwin said:

haircare,
    cosmetics,
    perfume,
    clothes,
    shoes,
    botox,
    surgery,
    tan...

To look nice? nothing...

Cut my own hair.
    No cosmetics (only medicines if needed)
    no perfume
    clothes and shoes necessary to achieve the purpose
    no botox or cosmetic surgery as yet
    if in the sun, there is a tan.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    I'm as vain as the next guy.
    I shower every day when I'm at home, and I like to be clean shaven.
    Special clothes don't make much sense for me, but if I had a different kind of job I would spend more on them.
    I had a custom tailored suit made this winter in Chiang Mai. My first one ever. Too bad I'll only get to wear it a couple of times. Then the kids can bury me in it.
    The other day I picked up a hitchhiker with a three legged dog who was dressed in some fairly ragged clothing. Turned out he was a gold prospector from the Yukon. Pretty interesting guy really. Old school rambling man type. Never got turned like the rest of us hippies.
    In my opinion, how people dress says little of importance about them.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    For me, at 64, it's too little and too late.
    BunkshermitwinDairyLama
  • DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    I shower regularly but quickly. Cut my nails and brush teeth. Wear whatever clothes are on top of the pile. Decided to grow my hair and beard for now so erm, not a lot of time or money at the moment. To be fair I'm probably going to look like my profile picture fairly soon except I'll need to buy a sword. They're expensive plus all that training... I'll probably just make a tinfoil one...
    jaeVastmind
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    According to the amount of fashion suggestions that are suggested for me by my partner........ not enough time.
    DharmaMcBumsndymornDairyLama
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    I shave my head and buy clothes once a year at target. I also dont put on any axe or perfume, just basic deodorant. All this also guarantees less attention from the ladies thankfully.

Im basically a monk already lol, although i am use to daily showers when not in the wilderness.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I used to have sufficient money to buy such fripperies but had no time to do so.
    Now I have all the time in the world... but no money to spare. :(
  • yagryagr Veteran
    jae said:

...today it was all about me and I don't feel one ounce of guilt as sobriety is bloody hard work and I needed a treat.

For what it's worth - proud of you.

lobster
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Pretty much the bare minimum. I sometimes let my hair grow to the point where a haircut is long overdue and it looks fairly scruffy but I occasionally put some gel in to tidy it up. I only have a couple of nice garments of clothing. Obviously I cut my nails and wear deodorant.
  • jaejae Veteran
    @yagr... its worth more than words can say.

@federica .. lifes a bitch
  • jae said:

Have to admit a few years ago I tried botox but it was a bad move unless you are a 'trekkie' forget it the 'Ferengi' look is quite unattractive.

I made a healthy donation to my local hairdressers today, usually a friend does it for me but today it was all about me and I don't feel one ounce of guilt as sobriety is bloody hard work and I needed a treat.

I was unaware that one had to go naked after Botox. A good punishment IMO. (For non Trekkies, farengi women go naked to stop males experiencing avarice about what clothes conceal. The feminists wear clothes as a protest)

Pampering reward for sobriety sounds like a plan. Whatever it takes . . . Bravo!

Suddenly realise I do wear perfume. :(

Fabric conditioner is perfumed. Recently was given a male perfume bought by mistake from a £Pound shop. Smells like soap. Also I have a mini sandalwood perfume, another gift that I use as an anointment to scare away demons (most of which are punished by eternal Botox) ;)

I have also taken to shaving after complaints. The beard shaving foam I bought turned out to be for legs. It is green and only foams when you rub it in your hands. Does the job.

. . . gosh I am quite the dandy . . . [hangs head in dharma shame]
    Jayantha said:

I shave my head and buy clothes once a year at target. I also dont put on any axe or perfume, just basic deodorant. All this also guarantees less attention from the ladies thankfully.

Im basically a monk already lol, although i am use to daily showers when not in the wilderness.

Bravo! Though buying clothes once a year seems excessive.
    yagrjae
  • jaejae Veteran
    @lobster... thank you.

Naked Ferengi..... boak

Personally I think smelling of fabric conditioner is better than any aftershave/perfume for men or women.
  • yagryagr Veteran
    I must say that I'm a little disturbed by the assumption that time and/or money could make someone look good. How about those of us for whom neither time nor money can help? ;)
    BunksEvenThird
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited March 2014
    I only cut my hair every few months. I also don't dye it anymore.

I haven't waxed my brows since June of last year.

I don't buy much in the way of jewelry (with the exception of a new pendent of mine).

I also haven't bought any new clothes in about a year. Even then, I mostly do thrift stores.

The last pair of shoes I bought was 2 1/2 years ago.

Honestly, the most costly thing I buy are my hair care products. I have greasy hair and there is an Olive Oil shampoo and conditioner that works wonders.
  • EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    I like thrift/second hand stores, never had much interest in handbags or designer anything.

I don't wear perfume or buy jewelry. I wear minimal makeup at most.

I only buy shoes when the ones I own are unsightly or fall apart.

The only thing I spend time on is body hair maintenance (shaving, tweezing).

I buzz my head twice a month so no need for brushing or styling.

I do spend a lot of time/money/effort on tattoos, but that isn't purely for vanity reasons.

I've gotten a lot better over the years.. In high school it took me nearly two hours to get ready in the morning!
    jae
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    Jayantha said:

I also dont put on any axe or perfume, just basic deodorant. All this also guarantees less attention from the ladies thankfully.

So the ladies like perfume, aye? Hmmm... I'll have to try it. Channel #5 here I come.
    EvenThirdjae
  • LiiLii Explorer
    About 45 min per day. Haircut once a month and new clothes regularly, but not excessive. I like to look like a professional and looking nice adds to feeling confident.
    The best make up is having a smile caused from smiling inside.
  • hey, where are the people who dress to kill ?
    EvenThird
  • People form habits as they get older, and some of these habits can be quite expensive or hurtful to those without the means to support those habits. Its better to learn to be happy with yourself when you need to be.
    EvenThirdanataman
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    I do go to the dentist, but never have had my teeth whitened. (Everyone down in the NC/SC Piedmont has sparkling teeth.) Dental bills average about $1000 a year over the last ten, with crowns.

I only get a haircut when the situation gets desperate. (But then I can afford for the tip to exceed 50% of the "price." It's so personal, you know, and my barbers are not affluent.)

I don't like new clothes because I never feel comfortable in them. The old ones are so fine and I have built quite a stockpile of them over the years. Not saying I never buy new clothes or wear them. Maybe $200 a year, excluding socks and the mandatory scrubs for work and white nonslip workshoes. I seldom buy new scrubs, though. Maybe $120 every 18 months or so, maybe a bit more.

Don't go to gymns. But I do stretch and pump on my own. Neither takes a lot of time.

I try to eat sensibly and every now and again I'll spend a fiver on A Kale Lemonade. Might not help me look better, but it sure makes me feel better.

I guess I spend a large amount of time being under good behavior and remaining cheerful and reassuring to others, but I don't think I do this to make myself look better to others or to myself.

But then, I may be deluded in this!
    anataman
  • hermitwin said:

hey, where are the people who dress to kill ?

I don't know, but I cook for a similar reason.
    jae
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Great thread! Not much, but I do try to eat healthy, work out, meditate and so on. Thus, lessen my chances of needing other things like cosmetic surgery and all that jazz. My clothes it depends, I look for deals/sales.
  • I wash my face every morning whether it needs it or not.
    jaelobster
    edited March 2014
    Nevermind said:

Jayantha said:

I also dont put on any axe or perfume, just basic deodorant. All this also guarantees less attention from the ladies thankfully.

So the ladies like perfume, aye? Hmmm... I'll have to try it. Channel #5 here I come.
    I have scientifically noticed reactions from women from when I "smell nice", to when I smell nothing at all. I do work with 100 women you know, it's a good testing ground LOL. Not only that but real scientists have tested such things in actual studies ahaha.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Jayantha said:

Not only that but real scientists have tested such things in actual studies ahaha.

Is it good to cover up ones' natural pherenomes? ;)
  • jlljll Veteran
    sniff, sniff....
    can i have your contact no. ?
    Jayantha said:

Nevermind said:

Jayantha said:

I have scientifically noticed reactions from women from when I "smell nice", to when I smell nothing at all. I do work with 100 women you know, it's a good testing ground LOL. Not only that but real scientists have tested such things in actual studies ahaha.
    jae
  • How about those of us for whom neither time nor money can help?
    LOL
    The karmically blessed you mean . . .

The beautiful people, those content, do not question existence too much. Maybe when a tragedy befalls them . . .

Beauty is really internal but few bother looking for it, preferring well dressed/behaved gurus, celebrity zeniths and the usual dharma dressing. Do we learn to look outside the box and reputed? Of course not. Maybe we are all superficial fashion victims? Here is a nice little outfit I am tempted by . . . maybe then people will take me seriously . . .

anatamanjaeDharmaMcBum
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    Jayantha said:

Nevermind said:

Jayantha said:

You scientifically noticed reactions from women. I guess we all have our hobbies.
    jaeBhikkhuJayasaraDairyLama
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2014
    shit, shower, and shave. cut nails. deodorant. straighten up hair by wetting. Haircuts at the beauty school. Clothes: meijer, goodwill, and super bargains of designer brands (I got 50% off at American Eagle last year). One fancy outfit like a jacket and tie and nice pants. My winter coat (nice) was bought in 1992.
    anatamanjaeDharmaMcBumlobster
  • LiiLii Explorer
    Question for all of those who spend little time and money: Do you have jobs or are you retired or students? If you are working what sort of jobs do you have?
    DharmaMcBum
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Time? Well, I'm up at 5:30 am and run a tight ship..haha...
    I don't have to be at work until 930, but first school drop off starts at
    7 and the last one at 9...so everyone gets 30 mins in the bathroom...
    including shower/bath. I spend about an hour in the evening ironing clothes
    and doing hair for the next day.

Money? Not much.
    Cosmetic surgery? None.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Vastmind said:

Cosmetic surgery? None.

Yeah. That's what Kim Novak said. Did you see her on the Oscars? She looks like a cat.

LiijaeDairyLama
  • DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    Lii said:

Question for all of those who spend little time and money: Do you have jobs or are you retired or students? If you are working what sort of jobs do you have?

I work as a Spacebus pilot! Not really, just a normal bus driver app. 60 hrs a week and the rest of the time spent familying. Shower shit and shave? Doing those hours? This is why I grow a beard and barely wipe! :D
    Nirvana
    Lii said:

What do you mean by little?

I mean, what I spend in the USA in US dollars is in "First-World" standards. I mean we take so much for granted like running water on demand at whatever temperature we like, wonderful means of locomotion to venues that can keep us "looking good," and so forth. Should I include my water bill, electric bill, and heating bill in the equation? How about the doctor check-up bills, etc? I think people living in affluent societies might want to add at least an extra 800% surcharge to their first "guestimate?"

DaltheJigsaw
  • NeleNele Veteran
    I spend minimal time / money on appearance, because I work at home. Once a month I meet with my work group downtown, so have to spruce myself up. It feels a bit odd, but good.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I just spent $269 on a jacket on complete impulse!

I didn't even look at the price before I bought it.......

Nirvanajae
    ^ Yes, but did you buy it for its functionalities such as hidden pockets on the inside? That'd be for security and it wouldn't be fair to yourself to count it. :)

For me a more significant question than how much time or money I spend on my personal presentation would be:

How much time do I spend thinking of myself and all its encumbrances such as finances, health, prospects and how much time or money do I or should I spend on interests outside my own physical well-being?
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    That's a good point @Nirvana.

There was some vanity involved in the purchase - it wasn't just about functionality.

It's similar to exercise. Are you doing it to look good or to stay healthy for the benefit of others?
  • EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    @Lii I'm in the midst of a career change, but I had similar habits when I was a student & when I was working full time.
    Citta said:

Just to demonstrate that in this matter, as in most life style matters, there is no single Buddhist view...not even a consensus..
    I spend about £ 2000 per annum on clothes. ( about 3350 $ ) I have 6 suits currently. 2 in the wardrobe, 2 at the dry cleaners two worn for a week at a time each. I have six pairs of shoes.
    I have my hair cut every 2 or 3 weeks. I go to Trumpers in Mayfair. It costs about £ 40 a time.
    I have a range of colognes..some of them cost £80 a bottle.
    I have been poor, I came from a very disadvantaged neighbourhood.
    Now I am relatively rich.
    If I became poor again that would be quite OK.
    But I prefer not to be.
    My wife and I tithe our combined incomes to charity...That amounts to quite a lot every month.

Its not the stuff..its the attachment.
    My first teacher ( CTR ) perceived early on that some western Buddhists are attached to the idea of poverty. So once a month or so we had to dress up for dinner, men in evening wear, women in long dresses. He insisted that we learn to dance .
    ' I am here to wage war on both greed and hippies' he said. :)

I love that quote and agree with your comment.

oh and also

May I be free from hatred. May I be free from affliction. May I be free from
    worry. May I live happily. As I am, so also may my teachers, spiritual guides,
    parents, and friendly, indifferent, and hostile beings be free from hatred.
    May they be free from affliction. May they be free from worry. May they live
    happily. May they be released from suffering. May they not be deprived of
    their fortune, justly acquired.

All have kamma as their own.
    Lii
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited March 2014
    Excuse me fine men....
    I think I 'll have to refer you to my accountant
    now, if we're discussing assets. ......... :vimp:
    Lii
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    I spent a fair bit on getting my kicked out teeth replaced, but that was to look normal rather than nice.

Other than that I'm pretty awesome!

Last weekend:
    photo Toshwatch_zpsb674443b.jpg

jaeyagr