Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sayings

Comments

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it."

~Helen Keller
    VastmindCheanatamanJeffrey
  • CheChe Veteran
    “Not being tense but ready.
    Not thinking but not dreaming.
    Not being set but flexible.
    Liberation from the uneasy sense of confinement.
    It is being wholly and quietly alive, aware and alert, ready for whatever may come.”
    Bruce Lee
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    The cycle of life is a struggle.
    And through the vortex of birth and death,
    I searched for the creator of this world.
    I never found him.
    Now I have found you,
    The creator.
    Your structure is dismantled.

The mind
    Has stopped creating.
    The delusion
    Is destroyed.

~ The Buddha (Dhammapada 153 - 154)
    ChelobsteranatamanVastmind
  • CheChe Veteran

“All who joy would win must share it -- Happiness was born a twin.”
    George Gordon Byron
  • Everyone is tall enough for the moon to shine on them

~fortune cookie
    Che
  • CheChe Veteran
    Arhhh, the ego Jeffrey, the enemy who pretends to be our friend.
    Nirvana
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    Che said:

Arhhh, the ego Jeffrey, the enemy who pretends to be our friend.

WOW, Che!

Is that an original saying? Much deeper than the mere "You're your own worst enemy," isn't it?

• CheChe Veteran
    It was instinctive, I just thought of it when I read Jeffrey's post.
  • CheChe Veteran
    "Some cause happiness wherever they go, others....whenever they go"
    Oscar Wilde
    BunksNirvana
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2014
    "Understand that your everyday life is the manifestation of ultimate reality".

Zen Master
    Sekkei Harada Roshi

Jeff: We don't get a different dharmakaya that feels like a brain orgasm. That's not dharmakaya rather the manifestation is just ordinary sitting and walking. (referring to how meditation is just an ordinary thing)
    Cheanataman
  • CheChe Veteran
    "Wherever there is a human being, there is a chance for a kindness"
    Seneca
    lobster
  • There are only three kinds of authorities -
    the totally enlightened,
    the only somewhat enlightened
    and the totally unenlightened.

Without a Buddha present,
    the first does not exist.
    With only the other two present,
    this is why we must always question authority,
    lest we become blind followers.

– Stonepeace
    CheBunkslobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "Be kind, whenever possible.

PS: It is ALWAYS possible".

I believe that was our Buddy Gandhi.....
    BunksCheNirvanalobster
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    "Never say Never!"

How's that for an inconsistent quip?

• CheChe Veteran
    federica said:

"Be kind, whenever possible.

PS: It is ALWAYS possible".

I believe that was our Buddy Gandhi.....

Buddy Gandhi? is he a Bollywood Rock n Roll singer :)

• CheChe Veteran
    "Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is the noble art of leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials"
    Lin Yutang
    Bunkslobster
  • CheChe Veteran
    A student, filled with emotion and crying, implored, "Why is there so much suffering?"

Suzuki Roshi replied, "No reason.”
    Jeffreyyagr
  • CheChe Veteran
    “The things you do for yourself are gone when you are gone, but the things you do for others remain as your legacy.”
    Kalu Ndukwe Kalu
    Invincible_summer
  • CheChe Veteran

"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody; it saves so much trouble"
    Rudyard Kipling

lobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day - Unknown

Che
  • @Che said:
    A student, filled with emotion and crying, implored, "Why is there so much suffering?"

Suzuki Roshi replied, "No reason.”

Zen. Pah! Stark. ;)

“I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.”
    Rabindranath Tagore

BunksanatamanCheVastmind
  • CheChe Veteran
    edited March 2014

"To make an omelette, first steal a chicken"

Old Indian saying

Jeffreylobster
  • CheChe Veteran

The Self is hidden in the hearts of all, as butter lies hidden in cream.
    Realize the Self in the depths of meditation;
    The Lord of Love, supreme reality, who is the goal of all knowledge.

This is the highest mystical teaching.

• From the Shveteshvatara Upanishad
    anataman
  • CheChe Veteran

“Why did you do all this for me?' he asked. 'I don't deserve it. I've never done anything for you.' 'You have been my friend,' replied Charlotte. 'That in itself is a tremendous thing.”
    E.B. White, Charlotte's Web

Bunks

"Every time you take a choice - at home, at work, at play - you are exercising your power in the on-going fashioning of the world. At the same time, this principle allows you to measure yourself in terms that are entirely under your control: your intentional actions in the present moment. In other words, they don't force you to measure yourself in terms of your looks, strength, brains, financial prowess, or any other criteria that depend less on your present karma than they do on karma from the past. Also, they don't play on feelings of guilt or force you to bemoan your past lapses. Instead, they focus your attention on the ever-present possibility of living up to your standards in the here and now." -- Thanissaro Bhikkhu

CheVastmindBunks
  • CheChe Veteran
    edited March 2014

"We have to learn to live our life as a human being deeply. We need to live every breath deeply, so that we have peace, joy and freedom as we breathe"

Thich Nhat Han

Invincible_summer
  • Lonchenpa said: "A Buddha with a thinking mind is an ordinary sentient being (unenlightened) , but a sentient being without a thinking mind (sem) is a Buddha."

Che
  • CheChe Veteran

I was talking to a loved one yesterday about her fears, and several times made the comment, “Everyone has these fears. Everyone.”

And this is true. The fears and problems you have are not unique to you.

We all have them, usually secretly, oftentimes even hidden from ourselves.

We think we’re alone in our fears, but we’re not. We all share them, a common thread that connects us as humans.

We think we’re worse than others in our failures, but we’re not. Everyone has the same failures, everyone is ashamed of them, no one can avoid them. They are a part of who we as human beings. And not wanting these failures to be a part of us is also human.

Everyone else has the same fears you have: fears of failure, of embarrassment, of uncertainty, of discomfort.

Fear of not being good enough.

Everyone else has the same failures you have: procrastination, selfishness, jealousy, insecurity, not being happy with ourselves, not being disciplined, being afraid and shying away from the difficult and terrifying.

You are not alone.

You are not worse.

You are human. And in your failures and fears and weaknesses, you are connected to me, to everyone else on this planet.

Leo Babauta
    Zen Habits

lobsterBunks
  • CheChe Veteran
    edited March 2014

"Wherever there is a human being, there is a chance for a kindness"

Seneca

Invincible_summer
  • CheChe Veteran
    edited April 2014

"O snail, climb Mt. Fuji, but slowly, slowly"

Issa

Vastmindanataman
  • CheChe Veteran

“If you know someone who’s depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn’t a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.

Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they’re going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It’s hard to be a friend to someone who’s depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do.”

Stephen Fry

lobsterBunks
  • Strive to view the moon in the sky
    and lose the pearl in your hand.

– Compendium of Five Lamps

Strive to view the pearl in your hand
    and lose the moon in the sky.

– Extended Saying

Che
  • CheChe Veteran
    edited April 2014

"A blade cuts things but not itself; Eyes see everything but themselves"

Zen Saying

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Remember when you point the finger, 3 others are pointing back at you.....

Che
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

You're not off till you cough.

~Old Stoner Saying

CheBunks
  • CheChe Veteran

"However priceless, a piece of gold in the eye is nothing but grit".

Buddhist Saying

• _“Being lucky is a fool's dream, winning through deceit is a coward's intent, success without caring for others is a complete failure.” _

― Michael Bassey Johnson

• CheChe Veteran
    edited April 2014

"65% of men, when leaving their house, kiss their wife goodbye.
    88% of men, when leaving their wife, kiss their house goodbye".

Stephen Fry. QI

JeffreyBunksNirvanaanataman
  • CheChe Veteran
    edited April 2014

“There are moments when troubles enter our lives and we can do nothing to avoid them.
    But they are there for a reason. Only when we have overcome them will we understand why they were there.”

Paulo Coelho, The Fifth Mountain

• CheChe Veteran

"The energies of mindfulness, concentration and insight can liberate us from our anxiety and worries. We let go of the past and the future, and come in touch with the wonders of the present"

Thich Nhat Hanh

• CheChe Veteran
    edited April 2014

"I've never actually been at death's door, but I've been on the patio"

Alexei Sayle

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Che
  • “Sometimes, sitting there on the cushion failing to watch your breath, it can feel like you’re the only weirdo weird enough to be wasting your time in this way. But you’re not! There are generations of weirdos, monasteries full of them, and we have the benefit of their accumulated wisdom.”

Jay Michaelson, Evolving Dharma: Meditation, Buddhism, and the Next Generation of Enlightenment

CheanatamanInvincible_summer
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Now that quote deserves a Michelin STAR!

NAMASTE!

• CheChe Veteran

Love your cushion :clap:

"Perhaps everything terrible is in its deepest being something helpless that wants help from us." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Chelobsteranataman
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

All the good things in life come from a mind that's well trained - Thanissaro Bikkhu

CheVastmindlobster
  • CheChe Veteran

“When it is understood that one loses joy and happiness in the attempt to possess them, the essence of natural farming will be realized. The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.”

Masanobu Fukuoka

Jeffreylobster
This discussion has been closed.