Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New? Introduce Yourself to NB Members!

Comments

• Hi @Shim. Thanks for tea blessing. I'm drinking it now. I don't see any rudeness though. You'll have to try harder.
    riverflow
  • im ysmael from the manila, philippines. a photographer by profession. i was baptised as a buddhist in Kaoshiung Taiwan by mere mere coincidence. ignored it so many times and find their ways to be hard to follow. lately, i have been, again reading and beginning to step my way back in to buddhism. perhaps, i still know so little of. but i am now much more open than i was before. and im beginning to understand and practice it more often than before. as i always say "one bead at a time."

thanks for accepting my request to be a member here. im sure i would learn a lot from you guys.
    MaryAnneVastmindanataman
  • Hey all, I'm Dave from Portland, ME. I just thought I would pop in here and introduce myself real quick. I'm 25, former military, and have recently found Buddhism while searching for a way to overcome my addictions. So far it's given me a much better understanding of myself and my condition than I ever thought of and I hope to continuously learn and grow, as well as meet like-minded individuals here on this site. Thanks :)
    VastmindKundoanatamanherberto
  • @Nibbana Welcome! This is a great place to learn and question. Like any gathering of humans, things can get a little testy at times, but for the most part we are all here to further our practice and help others.
    herberto
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Hi @Nibbana...nice to meet you :)
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    Hello! My name is Kim. I'm 'old' to Buddhism but new to taking it seriously enough to meditate, study, and realize my suffering (and ours, of course) is in direct proportion to believing I have an independent existence to insist upon. I am only beginning to understand the illusion, though.

I'm an RN in oncology (cancer nursing) and never wanted to be a boddhisatva, still do not, but was tricked into going to nursing school (I would never have gone any other way) and ended up working in psychiatric settings for 17 years and the remaining time in oncology. The narrative goes on and on. I'm agnostic about rebirth, but I'm waaaayyyy too 'comfortable' taking care of sick and suffering people. Much of my current life makes too much sense, in other words.

I have adult children in their late twenties and early thirties, and an almost five year old grandson, Orion. Orion has autism, the kind where he reads and writes but barely speaks. He is also physically beautiful, for what it's worth. I am grateful that Orion is not plagued with the sensory torments, and seems a very happy, delighted little boy. I wonder often about his relationship with life, free from jabbering and form-making, self-comparison, and a bunch of other stuff.

I used to want to be 'something', be 'somebody' when I was younger. I wanted to 'be' a Buddhist, for instance, and 'be' a therapist, 'be' an artist. Due to various life experiences, I learned the hard way that 'being' anything is a dead end. I've felt myself 'fading' for years now, and felt no reluctance allowing it all to go. It seems right to not get so defensive and angry and big headed; working in a hospital is a great place to get stepped on, humiliated, shunned, celebrated and worshiped. It's also a great environment to see oneself in all one's hideous glory, stretched from one extreme to another. I suppose that's true anywhere one finds themselves in this life.

I've joined other online sanghas, and frankly am searching for 'fit', so those of you who are also in other places may see me as Hamsaka or just plain Kim.

Thanks for reading

Gassho :)
    Little Goose (after my BFF Lilly, see avatar)

cvaluebookwormEvenThirdMaryAnne
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Buddhist for 20 years or so, couldn't find a teacher I felt would do it for me, decided to take the hardest road to liberation I could, and here I am. I reveal my self bit by bit in my posts - try not to take things too seriously. Have been on other sites before and have met some of you - simon the pilgrim for instance, still as serious it seems. Remember me: ANATMAN - we were on same site about 10 years ago… I'm a natter man now and I'm going to hang around here for a little while and glean and contribute stuff!

If you find me personally annoying - just be honest and tell me. I'll try and irritate you even more ;-)
    cvalueEvenThirdMaryAnneSarahT
    edited November 2013
    ^^^^ Hahaha...I think I'm going to like you :vimp:
    anataman
  • Goodness has noone joined since June? I quite liked the tone of the threads so thought I'd join in.

I will share my summated wisdom now to save time later:

I have found that if you sit down with your lunch and watch a couple of things on TV, before you know it, it will be teatime. :)
    Oh, and you should never feel guilty about eating cake . that's also true.
    MaryAnne
  • Hi. I have always been interested in world religions and have been reading about Buddhism for years. Over the past year or so I have tried making more of an effort to put the wonderful theories into action in my own life. Easier said than done.

I joined the forum because I enjoy reading what everyone has to say but I could never ask my own questions when they came up. Other forums I lurked on seemed less accepting of conflicting ideas and used a lot of terminology I wasn't familiar with. This is the first time I ever posted anything on a forum (other than Facebook) and I look forward to learning from all of you.
    VastmindMaryAnneEvenThird
  • jaejae Veteran
    Hi I've only been here a week and looking into Buddhism for the same ...doubt you'll learn from me but hello anyway :)
    VastmindEvenThird
    GoPhils said:

Hi. I have always been interested in world religions and have been reading about Buddhism for years. Over the past year or so I have tried making more of an effort to put the wonderful theories into action in my own life. Easier said than done.

I joined the forum because I enjoy reading what everyone has to say but I could never ask my own questions when they came up. Other forums I lurked on seemed less accepting of conflicting ideas and used a lot of terminology I wasn't familiar with. This is the first time I ever posted anything on a forum (other than Facebook) and I look forward to learning from all of you.

Welcome @GoPhils - get stuck in. An artist never produced a great piece of art without first picking up an instrument, a pencil, paintbrush or lump of clay. I look forward to reading your next posts.

mettha

Vastmind
    Hi...to all I haven't spoken to yet! :)
    Welcome!
  • DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    Oops, 3 years into joining the forum I finally found this thread. Still, that's the way it goes.
    Well, me? Born and grew up in Glasgow, live in York now. Introduced to Buddhism by my Religious Studies teacher in secondary school (he's a buddhist) and also to meditation in the same class. Dabbled and read and meditiated all the way till now. I enjoy reading the discussions on here and continue to do so really.
    I'm a bus driver and enjoy offering buddhist moral solutions to the many grumpy and disillusioned folks that get on my bus. Really, all you psychotherapists and sociologists out there? Become bus drivers :eek2:
    I'm off for another look through the discussions now... :om:
    MaryAnnecvalueInvincible_summeranataman
  • Hello everyone! I just recently joined this wonderful forum. I've been interested in buddhist ideas and meditation for the longest time. I love meditating when the moment is right. Sometimes when I'm deep into a meditative state, I can feel myself spinning around in circles, almost like a helicopter lifting off into the sky. It is the most blissful experience.

It's great to be here!
    DharmaMcBumcvalue
    edited December 2013
    ^^^ Hi! .... Oh the name... *shakes in boots* hahaha
    If my son was born on Monday his name would have been
    Cudjo/Cujo/another spelling form....I rememeber hoping for any other
    day ....hahaha......Looking back on it....I sure thought of it alot......
    No worries....he's a Friday...:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghanaian_name
  • I practice zen. Guess that makes me a bored again Buddhist.
    DharmaMcBumInvincible_summeranatamanperson
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    I've been here for almost 2 years, but I just now saw this thread. :D

My name is Christopher. I'm from Georgia and have been practicing for two years. I'm a Psychology student and have one more year before I (hopefully) go to Grad school. I want to either be a Chaplain or do social work via non-profit organizations.

I can never really seem to find a school that really clicks with me, so I feel that I'm in a state of perpetual seeking. I like Shingon, but there are very little resources outside of Japan. I also like Pure Land and Theravada, but those are the only temples in my area and I feel as if trying multiple schools would be beneficial; to get a feel of what feels right for me.

I also like many elements of Hinduism and incorporate them into my practice (much to the chagrin of a few). This includes a few of the deities as protectors and the practice of Bhakti/devotion. Adding to my list of wrong views and practices ( :D ) are Pantheism and Universalism.

Anyway, since that is now out of the way, back to the forums!
  • I've also been here for two years, and also just saw this thread. Really interesting people! Many of the people in this thread post rarely, but it looks like a lot of different perspectives and wisdom in the ranks.

I learned about Buddhism decades ago in a college course that I only took to fulfill an elective requirement. Shows the wisdom of the requirement! I've been intrigued ever since, and have approached several times over the decades. Different perspectives over the years, but I seem to be settling in on this course. I also attend a Christian church occasionally, mostly because I like the people and occasionally play in the band. And truthfully, I think there is something to learn in all faiths; Christianity is, to me, not so much a message as it is a language in which to convey the message, which itself has much universality.

Unlike Christian churches, there isn't a Buddhist facility on every other corner (or Hindu, or any non-Christian faith) so it's all been books and now the internet. Now that the internet has been invented I can waste time vastly more efficiently than ever before! About an hour's drive from here though is a stunningly beautiful Buddhist center with a breathtaking stupa. Walking the grounds imparts a feeling of grandeur and serenity I have never before associated with a physical place. They hold classes and retreats there, but not in my budget.

Aware/involved or not, I think everyone in society benefits from Buddhism and other Eastern religions, because the ideas infuse and improve us. Culturally, we need the Dalai Lama. We also need Rush Limbaugh, Robert Mapplethorpe, Glen Beck, Al Sharpton, etc. I don't know if we need newbuddhist.com, but I'm certainly glad it's here.
  • DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who was on here for ages before noticing this thread :wave:
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    Welcome to the newbies from an oldie!
  • Hello all. New here. Not bringing peace, but a sword! Just kidding. I'm an army officer stationed in Alaska. Avid skier, gun aficionado, pistolero, and amateur science junkie. Fascinated by Chinese history and Eastern philosophy.
    EvenThird
  • bfg84bfg84 Explorer
    welcome!
  • After reading Lotusbuds' questions (many of which I have) and Karasti's reply (which I'm most appreciative of) and Person's comment, I guess I'll keep this brief.

I'm a female, married, with grown children. I'm interesting in Buddhism after college courses that taught me of such thoughts. That was many years ago, but I'm hear again today, to learn more. I was really searching for an open group, one where I could ask questions, even if I was in the wrong thread. Sorry to have bothered anyone. Peace to all.
    EvenThird
    Good morning to all newbies and lurkers! :)
    Have a good one......
  • Hi everyone!

My name is Matt - I'm new to this website. I am an Italian teacher by trade - been more or less a "bookstore Buddhist" on and off for about 8 years and just started participating in a Shin Sangha. I enjoy hiking, traveling, learning new languages and martial arts. Look forward to participating in the discussions here. :)
    EvenThird
    Welcome @freja

• Hi everybody! I found this website while I was searching for Buddhist temples in my area. I've lived in Virginia Beach, VA for the past 7 years, but I was born and raised in Italy. I'm an artist. Meditation, Yoga and Buddhist teachings have changed my approach to life and sharpened my awareness. I'm looking forward to participate to the discussions and expand my knowledge. Namaste. ॐ
    BunksEvenThird
  • Hello to you all who take the time to read

So, what is it that I am looking for, that still isn't 100% clear to me but I am interested in what Buddhism appears to offer.

I have been through a bad period in my life from a point where I felt I had everything but I look back and think to myself, "what did I really have" my conclusion was that I only had what was expected a person to have, a job, a house/mortgage, wife, children and 2 cars. 5 years on and I need something else.
    I have stopped drinking and just taken the decision to stop eating meat, yes, there are health reasons and other morale issues in my choices but they seem to fit within Buddhism, as does my interest in meditation and the hope that it can help me heal inside and also make me a better person.

I am at the beginning of my path, curious and inquisitive and keen to find my direction whichever that may be. I feel the fact that I am willing to look at myself and ask questions of myself is a start.

I guess I have a lot of reading to do and questions to ask and hopefully with some help and guidance I will get to where I need to be.

Any help,advice or insight will be more than welcome, also any recommendations on books that I may find useful for night time reading would be very appreciated.

I hope that I have the opportunity to discuss many things with you all over time.
    cvalueBunksEvenThirdanataman
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    A very warm welcome to all our new members here. We hope you'll dive in, contribute, discuss and enjoy engaging with others on our forum!
    lobsterfrejaBunks
  • Hi all, I'm Mike in the UK. I've been reading into Buddhism for a couple of years and really feel like it's made a positive difference in my life.
    I've also been to a buddhist temple a couple of times for some "proper" learning and really enjoyed that but sometimes feel like it's a time constraint that I can't cope with.

I also learn and teach Wing Chun kung fu and enjoy trying to apply Buddhist teachings to what I'm learning there.

Ive been enjoying reading articles here for a week or two and I'm looking forward to learning a lot more from the community and hopefully being able to give something back also.

VastmindanatamanDharmaMcBum

Welcome @boozmork.

• Aspiring_BuddhistAspiring_Buddhist Seeker of the Buddha Within WA Veteran

Hi there, I am a new member and thought I would introduce myself. My name is Aspiring_Buddhist (AB if you like) and I am a recent convert to Buddhism. I'm here to get advice and be amongst my new spiritual community. I find myself attracted to Theravada and Tibetan Paths. I am seeking serenity and peace for myself. I live with Bipolar disorder and depression; I've been closer to the First Noble Truth longer than I like - I want to change that.

Previously I was an atheist; I've had no religion before. Starting my Buddhist journey has been interesting and intellectually stimulating. I'm very happy to be a Buddhist.

See you on the forum!

-AB

• Welcome from a fellow traveler!

Hi ..... :wave:

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

@AB -- Welcome. Hope you find something useful here.

• ┗(^0^)┓

Welcome to . . . wherever it is we are . . .
    http://www.buddhanet.net/crazy.htm

• DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran

Hello and welcome. :)

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

:) Hello and Welcome!

• Aspiring_BuddhistAspiring_Buddhist Seeker of the Buddha Within WA Veteran

Thank you for the warm welcome folks! :) Happy to be here.

@Aspiring_Buddhist said:
    Hi there, I am a new member and thought I would introduce myself. My name is Aspiring_Buddhist (AB if you like) and I am a recent convert to Buddhism. I'm here to get advice and be amongst my new spiritual community. I find myself attracted to Theravada and Tibetan Paths. I am seeking serenity and peace for myself. I live with Bipolar disorder and depression; I've been closer to the First Noble Truth longer than I like - I want to change that.

Previously I was an atheist; I've had no religion before. Starting my Buddhist journey has been interesting and intellectually stimulating. I'm very happy to be a Buddhist.

See you on the forum!

-AB

Welcome AB - hope you have a good sense of humour, it's needed in buddhism, particularly when you have something like bipolar disorder.

Interesting that you are attracted to Theravada and Tibetan buddhism...

However, there's no wrong form of buddhism, is there team NB?

• Hi, I am Mr_MeSsD_uP, I Live in the UK. I am both Buddhist and Animist for which I have had no issues with and have always found common ground so much to the extent they compliment each other. Ive been a Buddhist for around 8 years and a Animist for even longer.

I follow the Chinese tradition of Mahayana Buddhism, I have in the past 8 months been studying the Avatamsaka Sutra and the Hua Yen School what has enriched and deepened my practice. My daily meditation consists of mostly Silent Illumination meditation and insight (Vipassana) meditation. But I also practice name recitation on the Boddhisatva Kuan Yin as a tool to cultivate compassion; I chant ''Namo Kuan Yin Pusa'' while concentrating in compassion then send merit out to the 10 directions. This is something ive adapted myself but i find very powerful.

Anyway thats a little bit on me. There is a lot of knowledge and information on this forum and im hoping to learn and exchange ideas and take some of that into my own life.

Please to meet you all. :-)

anataman

Hi Newbies!

If I haven't spoken to you yet.. :) ..see ya around....

edited March 2014

FYI these lyrics are not in any recognised language - but convey something uplifting :)

In dedication....

A-ri-a-di-a-mus-la-te, a-ri-a-di-a-mus-da,
    A-ri-a-na-tus-la-te-a-do-a
    A-re-va-ne-tu-e-va-te, a-re-va-ne-tu-e-va-te,
    A-re-va-ne-tu-e-va-te-na-di-a

A-ri-a-na-tus-gra-te-a-do-a
    A-re-va-ne-tu-e-va-te-la-di-a

A-ne-ma-ne-coo-re-ra-we, a-ne-ma-ne-coo-re-a,
    A-ne-ma-ne-coo-re-ra-we-a-ka-la
    A-ne-ma-ne-coo-re-a-we-a-ka-la (a-ya-do-wa-ye-)
    A-ne-ma-ne-coo-re-ra-we-a-ka-la (a-ya-do-wa-ye-)
    A—ya-do-wa-ye
    A—ya-do-wa-ye-e-

Instrumental

A-ne-ma-ne-coo-re-ra-we, a-ne-ma-ne-coo-re-ra,
    A-ne-ma-ne-coo-re-a-we-a-ka-la
    A—ya-do-wa-ye
    A—ya-do-wa-ye-e-

A-ri-a-na-tus-gra-te-a-do-a
    A-re-va-ne-tu-e-va-te-na-di-a

A-ne-ma-ne-coo-re-a-we, a-ne-ma-ne-coo-re-a,
    A-ne-ma-ne-coo-re-ra-we-a-ka-la
    (Na-we-e-a-wa)
    A—ya-do-wa-ye
    A—ya-do-wa-ye-e-

It's just a chant really. A—ya-do-wa-ye-e-