Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dharma Failure

Today I failed.

Got very angry for no good reason. It happens. My meditation was too short . . . or my fuse, time of the month, lacking b vitamin, my biorhythms were out of synch . . . I eh . . . [more potential excuses on request] . . .

. . . fortunately, I am very compassionate and have forgiven myself

Is failure an option? Hope so . . . otherwise I am back in the naughty corner . . .

CinorjerRodrigoInvincible_summerBuddhadragon

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2014

I hope so too. Or my time out of the naughty corner would be brief and infrequent.
    I fail to live up to my own aspirations just about every day.

And please, I don't want anyone to soften that for me.

lobster
  • SephSeph Veteran

Failure is not only an option, it is a necessity.
    Without failure there is no sojourney; without failure there is no path to follow.

It is not something we should strive for, but yet it is expected.

lobsterBuddhadragon
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran

You only fail if you have expectations which you don't achieve. Without expectations, no failure. I try to set my expectations low so that I don't fail, such as getting to the end of this sentence without

CinorjerBuddhadragon
  • CittaCitta Veteran

@ZenBadger said:
    You only fail if you have expectations which you don't achieve. Without expectations, no failure. I try to set my expectations low so that I don't fail, such as getting to the end of this sentence without

Thats you zenbadger, not m

• How to Fall (audio)

the trick when you meditate is learning how to bring the mind back with a minimum amount of recrimination, a minimum amount of self-criticism, with just the simple observation, “I haven’t come here to think about next week’s schedule or last night’s fiascoes or whatever. I’m here to focus on the breath.” Simply leave those other things and come back. Learn how to do it without tying your mind up in knots.

In our modern educational system, we’re quickly channeled into the activities where we have a natural talent. As a result we don’t learn how to become good at things that don’t come easily. So when we make an effort at something that doesn’t come naturally, the easiest thing in the world seems to be to slip and fall and then just go with the fall and plop down, fallen. That’s called not knowing how to fall. The trick, when you fall, is to notice that there is a certain amount of momentum, but you don’t have to give in to the momentum.

Jeffrey
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Yeah, that damn time of the month will set me back, everytime.
    The pills help...but I don't actually notice I want to rip someone's head off until after the uterus pain and ranting has already started.... I forgive myself.

:grr: . . . Oh well...I'll start again .... :)

karasti
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

I never fail... I just stumble forward continuously until i get somewhere.

Buddhadragon
  • Notice your anger. Turn your full attention on it. Where does it start and end? Is the anger you?

I don't like the use of words like failure in this context. You are what you are. Success and failure are only concepts and not very helpful in this instance.

Buddhadragon
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@Vastmind‌ Oh, can I relate. The "Knower" that can usually watch my mind with amusement is the one in the corner, hiding from the insanity that is PMS.

VastmindHamsaka
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran

:o

• Aspiring_BuddhistAspiring_Buddhist Seeker of the Buddha Within WA Veteran

I wouldn't think of it as "failure," but as a reminder that one still has to look closer upon the Second and Third Noble Truths. (IMO the First and Fourth Truths are the easiest to achieve - its the middle two where the challenge is met.)

I believe "failure" in the Buddhist sense, is defined thus: Realizing there is a problem, but choosing to do nothing about it.

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited March 2014

Is failure an option?

Without failure there can be no success and vice versa. They lean on each other. Don't attach to anything, not even to success.

Buddhadragon
  • Thanks guys.

For me it is about what is possible. Being 'totally perfect in every way' is for many a fantasy model or expectation. Aspiration and attunement, sure but reality has a habit of interceding . . .

One of the reasons for practice is to allow a settling and dismantling of the causes of negativity/dukkha.

Being independent of a body and its drives, weaknesses and tendency to collapse/decay etc is only possible for our core being.

. . . and now back to the Buddha Nature . . .

anataman