Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Starting again

2»

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran

The research was prompted @Jeffrey by a veritable epidemic in the UK among young men presenting with heightened anxiety and delusional states who had a recent history of cannabis use.

When other variables were removed from the equation the factor which was a constant was the cannabis.

lobster
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran

There was a large scale study done in the university population in the late 80s, I know because I was in it. We had to go for a urine/blood/hair test every couple of months and our mental state was monitored in the background. I think we got a book token every so often to keep us going and getting tested (I did a lot of studies for the freebies). We didn't know what the study was about at the time, it was just called the Student Lifestyle Study or something like that but about half/two thirds of my intake were medium to heavy cannabis users. The study stopped after a while which was apparently due to the increasing use of MDMA, another very popular drug that was causing a lot of mental problems.

• I am sure there is a lot of evidence for marijuana exasperating mental illness.
    http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/marijuana-abuse/there-link-between-marijuana-use-mental-illness

Meditation can be detrimental or inappropriate, for example in depression, where physical spiritual disciplines may be helpful. However . . .
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/23/meditation-brain-psychiatric-disorders_n_1108238.html#slide=309263

I have not heard of any dharma teachers advocating drug use, except through bad example or hypocrisy. Maybe you have @Jeffery?
    This is the problem with 'self medication' through alcohol, food, exercise abuse, adrenaline addiction, the relaxing spliff etc . . .

Is that very judgemental? So be it. In the field of mental health, I do not feel 'self diagnosis' is reliable. The classic example is anorexics, looking at their mirror image of skin and bone and seeing themselves as 'fat'.

@shanyin said:
    Last week I had a meeting with my doctor. He asked me if I believe I have a mental illness. I didn't have an answer. He said it's a basic question.

It is a basic question. It really is.

Perhaps I can tell you of an able long term buddy practitioner who was in great distress after being pulled out of a three year closed retreat. She was advised not to do this but insisted and eventually her kind hearted teachers allowed her to practice. She had a breakdown. Some years later, she knew that medication AND meditation were both possible, necessary and realistic . . .

We can not resolve the situation here. My morning practice is dedicated to your well being. People around you are trying to help. Please be aware of that. :)

• I have not heard of any dharma teachers advocating drug use, except through bad example or hypocrisy. Maybe you have @Jeffery? This is the problem with 'self medication' through alcohol, food, exercise abuse, adrenaline addiction, the relaxing spliff etc . . .

Not even Trungpa advocated drug use. He got all his students to pile their stashes up and they burned them in the fire place. And no they didn't block the chimney up to smoke the fumes haha.

I often say that I am suffering because I am longing for a better state. More than a few times my teacher has said that I could work on renunciation at those times. My teacher doesn't say you can't have an occasional glass of wine with dinner, rather she treats everyone's situation individually. For example me I have a history of drinking too much so she cautioned me against striking up a closer friendship with a heavy drinking friend from elementary school. But basically she wants people to be safe and mentally sharp. She doesn't want me to become heedless or reckless.

• @Citta said:
    The research was prompted Jeffrey by a veritable epidemic in the UK among young men presenting with heightened anxiety and delusional states who had a recent history of cannabis use.

When other variables were removed from the equation the factor which was a constant was the cannabis.

I'll ask my psychologist about that. Thanks.